Become a Patron!

SMOK ALIEN charging issue

Hi, I am having some issues with charging my mod. Whenever I plug the USB into the port, the batteries start charging, but charging stops in about a minute or two. When I then try to plug it into the computer again, I get a 'power surge on the port' warning on my PC.
Could it be a faulty port or batteries?
Thank you. ^^

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sheesh. Computer ports are only good for around an amp and the alien needs 2 amps.
Blow up your computer? Blow up your mod?
Just get an external charger and charge your batteries outside of your mod.
Life will be better all around.

Sheesh. Computer ports are only good for around an amp and the alien needs 2 amps.
Blow up your computer? Blow up your mod?
Just get an external charger and charge your batteries outside of your mod.
Life will be better all around.

My bad. Forgot to mention that the issue happens with outlet chargers as well. I've tried half a dozen different chargers with various outputs.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My bad. Forgot to mention that the issue happens with outlet chargers as well. I've tried half a dozen different chargers with various outputs.
Are the outlet chargers rated at 2 amps or more?
If so defective charge circuit in the mod.

I personally do not think mods that hold over 1 battery should have internal charging.
Batteries tend to get out of balance if repeatedly charged in the multi battery mod.

Yes, the one that I used while it was working is a Samsung charger with output of 1.67A or 2.0A.

If it is a bad circuit, would the mod work fine if I just got an extremal charger as suggested?

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes, the one that I used while it was working is a Samsung charger with output of 1.67A or 2.0A.

If it is a bad circuit, would the mod work fine if I just got an extremal charger as suggested?
If it is just the charging circuit, yes.

Ok, thanks a lot for the info. (-:

The mod seems to be in working condition when I manage to charge it a bit.

I'll probably take it to the shop to know if it can be exchanged as faulty. In case it can't, I'll get an external charger, as people seem to agree it's the better charging option.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Thinking here which version of firmware are you running or is installed? Just curious

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Does yours have a "B" in it? I have to check my second Alien to see if it is version 2 which I think it probably is with the serious paint job!
upload_2017-7-30_17-58-55.png

Cormic

Member For 3 Years
Using a 2A wall charger,wait till it stops displaying the battery's (goes dark) then hit the fire button and it should charge as normal after that. At least for that charge cycle. Don't know why it works but it seems to. And get a battery charger. I would suggest a 4 battery type, I only have a two bay and end up charging through one or more of my mods because I didn't keep up on one set or another.

Smokey1471

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Hi, I am having some issues with charging my mod. Whenever I plug the USB into the port, the batteries start charging, but charging stops in about a minute or two. When I then try to plug it into the computer again, I get a 'power surge on the port' warning on my PC.
Could it be a faulty port or batteries?
Thank you. ^^
I had the same problem originally when I got my alien. The best things to do is.
1. Make sure u have good batteries.
2. Buy a battery charger.
Even though it has the port for charging on the mod, i'm pretty sure it's there mostly for the software /firmware upgrades.

VU Sponsors