Become a Patron!

Smok Alien TC confusion.

8ull3t

Member For 2 Years
I have a smok Alien with a uwell crown 3 tank, I am using the stock coil that came inside the tank.

Can I use the TC mode?
If so how is it done?

I can get into the TC mode and select wattage strength but then it displays TCss with numbers in brackets; what are those?

Any help or point in right direction please.

Thanks.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unless the Coil is SS or NI200 that is a big NO.
Most coils are Kanthal and will not work with TC.

Papachaz

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Unless the Coil is SS or NI200 that is a big NO.
Most coils are Kanthal and will not work with TC.

What he said. Big no on the tc unless you know for sure what metal it is. A lot of mods will automatically switch back to power mode if they don’t sense the right coil on there. Not sure if the alien is one but even they do, don’t trust that the mod will read the coil correctly.

I vape, therefore I am.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Uwell crown 1 had bith ni200 and SS for stock coils. One for Tc, one for either Tc or power mode

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Papachaz

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Just checked on line and it looks like the crown 3 comes with the sus316 stainless steel coils. A .25 and a .5 ohm. But check the packaging to make sure that is what yours shipped with.

I vape, therefore I am.

8ull3t

Member For 2 Years
Checked the packaging and it says

● 0.25ohm SUS316 Parallel Coil - rated for 80-90W

● 0.5 ohm SUS316 Parallel Coil - rated for 70-80W

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There you go. You can use them in Tc. I'd jump on YouTube and find some vids of your mod. Find out how they get into Tc and then start low. I love a warmer vape so I do 40watts/joules and between 430&500f. But start lower as to break in the coils. Just like any kanthal

Papachaz

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Checked the packaging and it says

● 0.25ohm SUS316 Parallel Coil - rated for 80-90W

● 0.5 ohm SUS316 Parallel Coil - rated for 70-80W

Those are the stainless but I haven’t been very impressed with the alien handling temp control very well. My rx200 does a much better job with it.

I vape, therefore I am.

8ull3t

Member For 2 Years
Just looked on YouTube, there are many vids about wattage mode but not many touch on TC mode in detail.
On the alien under SS mode it has numbers 0.00050 - 0.00200, thats what I don't understand.

I could be looking at wrong vids.

eStorm

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
The alian won't work with pre made coils and tc very well. Yes I know nearly every mod has tc option, but that doesn't mean it will work as intended. There's mod out there, that focus more on the tc aspect and that's what you're looking at, however while some pre made coils work, mostly its meant for rebuildables as in Rba/RTA/RDTA, you'll notice the difference after you tried tho.

Smoks alian is notorious for jumping out of tc, or even messing up the chip, were the unit won't power anymore or black screen. Its also very inaccurate and you will get heat spikes here and there, that can cause some pain. All in all, stay away from smoks tc and look for a good tc mod if you want to go that route. But foremost don't use a prebuild coil in tc even if it states that you can.

Here's a topic of TCR presets you might want to get familiar with if you want to vape in tc. Enjoy and gl.

8ull3t

Member For 2 Years
Thanks for link.

Just set to 0.0092 as per preset recommendation and 90w and 500oF but just felt like sucking air.

Papachaz

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Just looked on YouTube, there are many vids about wattage mode but not many touch on TC mode in detail.
On the alien under SS mode it has numbers 0.00050 - 0.00200, thats what I don't understand.

I could be looking at wrong vids.

Those numbers are TCR or temperature coefficient of resistance. Put simply it’s how much the resistance of the wire changes at certain heat levels. As wire gets hot it’s resistance changes. This tells the mod how much that change normally is so that it can automatically adjust the power applied to the coils to maintain a consistent temperature. Most mid range mods just use middle of the road values and don’t allow much room for fine tuning those values on your own. While temp control sounds easy it is far from being a set it and forget it mode. I’ve been building my own coils for years now and I would say I have a pretty fair amount of knowledge on building with regular wire, ie kanthal, nichrome. I have just recently gotten into experimenting with temp control and there is a learning curve that goes along with it. For someone just starting out I would suggest learning to build simple single wrap kanthal coils first and build on that knowledge, working your way up to tc builds as your knowledge and understanding grow. You can always vape stainless coils in power mode. Just don’t try it with nickel or titanium.

I vape, therefore I am.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Anything with a DNA chip would be good TC. Also the ones with Yihi chips.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
^^^this for sure

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The DNA and Yihi based bods can be a lot more fiddly to use though. But will do TC very well once you set it up.

VU Sponsors