Become a Patron!

Smok Alien up in smoke....

Nikodeemus

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
My Alien gave up the ghost today. It was working great until I upgraded my tank to a Big Baby Beast. It was having issues reading the coil resistance and kept saying coil ohm too low. When I finally did get it to fire, smoke came out of the vent holes above the screen and smelled of burnt electronics. Now, it simply will not fire and doesn't properly read coil resistance. I've only had this thing a week and was really liking it until this....unsure what to do at this point.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
My Alien gave up the ghost today. It was working great until I upgraded my tank to a Big Baby Beast. It was having issues reading the coil resistance and kept saying coil ohm too low. When I finally did get it to fire, smoke came out of the vent holes above the screen and smelled of burnt electronics. Now, it simply will not fire and doesn't properly read coil resistance. I've only had this thing a week and was really liking it until this....unsure what to do at this point.
um did your batteries take a shit? what batteries are you using and where did you get them from?
also if the mod is saying too low ohm, then there is an issue with your coil usually as in it's not fully making contact. if you get a warning like that, don't keep trying to fire. the mod is telling you something is wrong.

Nikodeemus

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
It may b
um did your batteries take a shit? what batteries are you using and where did you get them from?
also if the mod is saying too low ohm, then there is an issue with your coil usually as in it's not fully making contact. if you get a warning like that, don't keep trying to fire. the mod is telling you something is wrong.
It may be the batteries...I don't have another mod to test them in. They are red AWT 3000mah. They look fine and aren't showing any signs of swelling, melting or anything out of the ordinary. The reason I attempted to fire it is because I had reseated the coil and when the mod asked if it was a new coil, I selected YES and it registered it correctly.....tried to fire it and poof.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I contacted my local vape shop where I purchased the kit and they said to bring the mod, batteries and receipt and they will look at it. Hopefully they will warranty it out.
Sounds good. Get it all replaced and don't get awt batts. Get lg or samsung only.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Nikodeemus

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Sounds good. Get it all replaced and don't get awt batts. Get lg or samsung only.

Noted. I used to use Efest batteries but my local shop said they had exploding issues and stopped carrying them and AWT batteries were what was recommended. I'll pick up Samsung batteries next.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Noted. I used to use Efest batteries but my local shop said they had exploding issues and stopped carrying them and AWT batteries were what was recommended. I'll pick up Samsung batteries next.
efest and AWT don't make batteries. they are rewrapped and you never know what you'll get. Samsung or LG only

Nikodeemus

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Just came back from the shop with a brand new mod. They were saying that other's have been reporting issues with batteries discharging while using the built in charger and the discharge is frying the chips. I explained that my issue happened while I was trying to vape from it and it wasn't plugged in. I'm pretty sure it was an issue with the mod from the start because the 0.4ohm prebuilt coil that came with it was reading as 0.38*, 0.37* and 0.39* when selecting new coil on the same one. This one is showing 0.400 on the dot and hasn't shown anything else when I select New Coil.

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just came back from the shop with a brand new mod. They were saying that other's have been reporting issues with batteries discharging while using the built in charger and the discharge is frying the chips. I explained that my issue happened while I was trying to vape from it and it wasn't plugged in. I'm pretty sure it was an issue with the mod from the start because the 0.4ohm prebuilt coil that came with it was reading as 0.38*, 0.37* and 0.39* when selecting new coil on the same one. This one is showing 0.400 on the dot and hasn't shown anything else when I select New Coil.

Why would you select new coil when using the same coil?
Just curious.
If you just want to check the reading, it reads live resistance.
Or three clicks to get into the menu - long click to select
Two clicks to get into settings - long click to select
Three clicks to get to "Adjust Ohms" - long click to select
That'll tell you what it is currently and allow you to adjust it IF it needs it.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
It's normal to have small variances in resistance and for pre-built coils to ohm out a little higher due to the mod adding resistance. As far as charging it's never good to charge from the mod but Glad u got it sorted out

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
My ohm reading was changing with the T8 octuple coil. It started at 0.15, like it should. After a couple of days, when I took it off/ put it back on, it would read well over 0.15. Sometimes as high as 4.0+. It would not fire when it read that high. I just kept removing/replacing it until it read properly, but it crapped out completely after 4 days. The coil I mean, not the mod. No other troubles with mine, except flaky paint. Glad you got a quick replacement! :)

The Adj Ohms feature will raise/lower the ohms +/- 0.030. On mine, anyway.

Last edited:

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The Adj Ohms feature will raise/lower the ohms +/- 0.030. On mine, anyway.
Once you make the change and lock it in, you can then go right back in and adjust it further.
However, this SHOULDN'T be required unless you are attaching a hot coil.
If you are connecting a room temp coil the mod will read what it actually is.
If you mod is reading 4.0Ω and you know you connected a room temp 0.15Ω you definitely have an issue.
Can't say I'd trust simply removing and reconnecting it a few times and feel comfortable.
That is usually an indicator that you have bigger issues to look into.
Maybe as simple as a bad connection, bad coil, or bad mod come to mind as possibilities.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Once you make the change and lock it in, you can then go right back in and adjust it further.
If you mod is reading 4.0Ω and you know you connected a room temp 0.15Ω you definitely have an issue.
Can't say I'd trust simply removing and reconnecting it a few times and feel comfortable.
Maybe as simple as a bad connection, bad coil, or bad mod come to mind as possibilities.
Having a meter is the best thing to test it with

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

Only happened with that particular T8 coil(came with the kit). Three Q2 coils have been outstanding. I pulled the T8 apart after it quit. No broken wires or burnt cotton. I'm no expert, but nothing jumped out at me visually, other than some crusty spots along the wires. I'm guessing bad coil, since all the duals have been great.

Didn't know those details on the adjustment. Thanks. I only used it a couple of times to dial in that bad T8 when I got it to read close enough. Got a couple more to try when it's time to change out. Will know then if it was just a bad one.

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Only happened with that particular T8 coil(came with the kit). Three Q2 coils have been outstanding. I pulled the T8 apart after it quit. No broken wires or burnt cotton. I'm no expert, but nothing jumped out at me visually, other than some crusty spots along the wires. I'm guessing bad coil, since all the duals have been great.

Didn't know those details on the adjustment. Thanks. I only used it a couple of times to dial in that bad T8 when I got it to read close enough. Got a couple more to try when it's time to change out. Will know then if it was just a bad one.

Ahh, I see. Makes sense now.
Only reason I knew is I figured it out when I wanted to move a hot tank from a different mod.

Mine did the same exact thing this morning, but while it was just sitting on the table. Good batteries, SMOK coil. Just burned up & smelled like burnt plastic. DOA. POS.

Nikodeemus

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Mine did the same exact thing this morning, but while it was just sitting on the table. Good batteries, SMOK coil. Just burned up & smelled like burnt plastic. DOA. POS.
Ewww!! Was it charging via USB when it happened? I was told that this can happen when charging them through the USB port. I'm on my second one now (replacement) and its on 6300 puffs and still working like a champ.

Ewww!! Was it charging via USB when it happened? I was told that this can happen when charging them through the USB port. I'm on my second one now (replacement) and its on 6300 puffs and still working like a champ.
Nope. Just sitting there.I was working on my laptop and I smelled the burnt plastic and looked up to see little brown whiffs of smoke coming out of the vents. Just went and got a Fuchai 213 to replace it. Hated the battery door anyway;)

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Nope. Just sitting there.I was working on my laptop and I smelled the burnt plastic and looked up to see little brown whiffs of smoke coming out of the vents. Just went and got a Fuchai 213 to replace it. Hated the battery door anyway;)
any chance your battery wraps were damaged?

jbone6977

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So the paint is good for 2 weeks or so, the 316L setting is shit, and now they just randomly burn up? I didn't want one before but now, I want every color

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
So the paint is good for 2 weeks or so, the 316L setting is shit, and now they just randomly burn up? I didn't want one before but now, I want every color
i gotta say it's weird seeing the issues. I haven't had any of those issues with mine and i have 2 of them. My paint looks brand new still, never had a battery vent on me (in any mod ever including when i used mechs) and temp control works decent enough. not great but decent

jbone6977

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
i gotta say it's weird seeing the issues. I haven't had any of those issues with mine and i have 2 of them. My paint looks brand new still, never had a battery vent on me (in any mod ever including when i used mechs) and temp control works decent enough. not great but decent
Stopped in my local B&B and talked to the owner, she won't even bring her alien on the floor when customers are in it looks so bad, and she says the 316L sucks but she loves it because it looks nice. If I ever went into a shop with a basically new, burned up mod, and the workers were to say "oh yeah, it's common with those, have a new one" like they said to the op, I would immediately ask for store credit and get something different. With everyone talking safety all the time you would think more people would be shocked that this seems to be a common problem that was never recalled.

jbone6977

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Makes me appreciate my $32 IPV6X more and more, it sucks with tc also but still looks new & I don't worry about it blowing up in my face, can't update it but hey, who needs to update a mod that stays in power mode anyways

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Nope. I've been using mods since the first ones came out (founded Emit Vapor) and I can guarantee it was a defect with the Alien. It had problems from the start and I dropped it more than once so it just reached it's limit I guess.
dam that sucks to hear. sounds like there is some quality control issues. I'm gonna stop recommending this mod to people based on the issues others are having

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Makes me appreciate my $32 IPV6X more and more, it sucks with tc also but still looks new & I don't worry about it blowing up in my face, can't update it but hey, who needs to update a mod that stays in power mode anyways
i won't buy sig or P4U products because the lies they make, but hey if you like it who cares

cascadian

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Stopped in my local B&B and talked to the owner, she won't even bring her alien on the floor when customers are in it looks so bad, and she says the 316L sucks but she loves it because it looks nice. If I ever went into a shop with a basically new, burned up mod, and the workers were to say "oh yeah, it's common with those, have a new one" like they said to the op, I would immediately ask for store credit and get something different. With everyone talking safety all the time you would think more people would be shocked that this seems to be a common problem that was never recalled.
The finish is substandard. There is not a 316L mode. The SS mode is calibrated for 304. TC with 316L works just fine compared to most modern devices using the custom TCR mode. And the funny thing about problems being common with this mod seems to be, that the problems may be related to the quality of the power source.

In my stores the only complaints are related to the finish and the tank, as we carry the bundle. We only carry cells from LG, Samsung and Sony. Have not had a single defective unit out of more than 200 sold. Most mods establish themselves at at least 2% within the first 30 days we carry a device. Several of our customers have in excess of 100,000 puffs on their counters now. In the shop across town from one our stores, they pulled them and aren't selling the mod anymore due to the large number of defects. But they only sell Efest, MXJO and Imren cells. Go figure. When the owner called and asked why we were still selling them and I explained that we hadn't had a single issue he was dumbfounded. After talking through it, the only difference is the cells the customers are using in the mods. Kind of like buying regular unleaded at 7-11 for your Lamborghini. It might get you where you need to go today, but something is going to get F'd up eventually.

jbone6977

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The finish is substandard. There is not a 316L mode. The SS mode is calibrated for 304. TC with 316L works just fine compared to most modern devices using the custom TCR mode. And the funny thing about problems being common with this mod seems to be, that the problems may be related to the quality of the power source.

In my stores the only complaints are related to the finish and the tank, as we carry the bundle. We only carry cells from LG, Samsung and Sony. Have not had a single defective unit out of more than 200 sold. Most mods establish themselves at at least 2% within the first 30 days we carry a device. Several of our customers have in excess of 100,000 puffs on their counters now. In the shop across town from one our stores, they pulled them and aren't selling the mod anymore due to the large number of defects. But they only sell Efest, MXJO and Imren cells. Go figure. When the owner called and asked why we were still selling them and I explained that we hadn't had a single issue he was dumbfounded. After talking through it, the only difference is the cells the customers are using in the mods. Kind of like buying regular unleaded at 7-11 for your Lamborghini. It might get you where you need to go today, but something is going to get F'd up eventually.
I'm with ya about the batteries, I only use LG or Samsung, shitty batteries or not there's something wrong with it

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
dam that sucks to hear. sounds like there is some quality control issues. I'm gonna stop recommending this mod to people based on the issues others are having
I'm going to continue buying them until I have one of every color no matter how many they put out.
With the amount of them I have and the fact I have not had a single issue I'm going with the probability the defects are limited.
They work fine for me and I'll continue to recommend them.
A brand new Cadillac off the assembly line can have issues just the same.

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm going to continue buying them until I have one of every color no matter how many they put out.
With the amount of them I have and the fact I have not had a single issue I'm going with the probability the defects are limited.
I'm not saying that if it is a bad product we should continue to purchase from a company producing shit, I'm just stating this based on a few complaints out of the amount that were manufactured, the odds of percentages tell us there will be a few bad apples.
Not once have I heard that someone was using Samsung 25R or LG HB6 or something like that and ended up having issues with their Alien.
Paint issue?
I haven't had any issues with the paint.
Then again I treat ALL my electronic devices like I want to keep them.
I don't drop them, I don't throw them, I don't place them in my pocket with metal objects.
I treat them like I want them to last.
Every mod I have (I may have a few more then the average vaper) looks like it was removed from the box 10 minutes ago with the exception of the one I use while mowing. That is because it sets in the cup holder and goes through that same rough ride and I do.
My side yard is a bit rough.
I've never had a mod have paint issues since 2011.
Do they use automotive paint and finishes? Absolutely not.
If they did we wouldn't want to pay the price for that finish.

Eskie

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I'm not saying that if it is a bad product we should continue to purchase from a company producing shit, I'm just stating this based on a few complaints out of the amount that were manufactured, the odds of percentages tell us there will be a few bad apples.
Not once have I heard that someone was using Samsung 25R or LG HB6 or something like that and ended up having issues with their Alien.
Paint issue?
I haven't had any issues with the paint.
Then again I treat ALL my electronic devices like I want to keep them.
I don't drop them, I don't throw them, I don't place them in my pocket with metal objects.
I treat them like I want them to last.
Every mod I have (I may have a few more then the average vaper) looks like it was removed from the box 10 minutes ago with the exception of the one I use while mowing. That is because it sets in the cup holder and goes through that same rough ride and I do.
My side yard is a bit rough.
I've never had a mod have paint issues since 2011.
Do they use automotive paint and finishes? Absolutely not.
If they did we wouldn't want to pay the price for that finish.

I'm pretty much like you (other than a lot fewer tanks:D). I haven't had a single problem with the Alien in function or finish. I've also had no problems with any other mods, from a Pico to a Triade, using 25R's or LG's either. The only evidence of "wear" on my mods has been a darkening of the leather back on the Triade, which is to be expected with the leather aging and picking oil from my hands.

Do I baby my mods? Well, sorta. Why whack around something I paid good money for and would rather keep than trash?

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
That's very true. And technically outside of the paint we haven't seen any hard proof. Not accusing anyone of lying. Just saying it could be user error.

bmclaurin

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Mine let out the magic smoke last week also. Practically brand new Samsung 30Q's with pristine wraps. It had literally just been sitting there on my desk, not charging through the USB or anything. I picked it up and clicked the fire button a few times to wake it up. The screen flickered, and I could see a red glow emanating from underneath the USB port, and then the magic smoke came out. I immediately pulled the batteries, and they are fine--I even tested them on my West Mountain Radio CBA analyzer. I honestly have no idea what happened. Out of dozens of mods I've owned, this is the first time anything like that has happened to me. I still like the Alien, though. In fact I've already purchased a replacement.

Bigjay1978

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
This is scaring me. I have one, and other than the paint chipping it has been great. Using LG hg2's. I almost don't want to use it, but I can't replace it as of now...

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
This is scaring me. I have one, and other than the paint chipping it has been great. Using LG hg2's. I almost don't want to use it, but I can't replace it as of now...
IDK tons of us here have them with no issues.

bmclaurin

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
IDK tons of us here have them with no issues.
Agreed. And despite my experience last week, I still chalk it up to being just one of those fluke things that happen from time to time. It worked perfectly for a couple months prior to the incident, and my replacement unit has been working flawlessly for the past week. I think the incidents are still pretty isolated at this point, so I wouldn't be too concerned about using one (or recommending that others purchase one if it suits their needs).

Lazy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
i won't buy sig or P4U products because the lies they make, but hey if you like it who cares

Same here bro. Ill add ijoy to the list after the fiasco they had with limitless.

Smok seems to be one of the top Chinese companies at the moment & I will continue to buy their products until they start to slack off & someone else takes their spot.

Outside of the paint chipping, the alien is a great Mod. Especially its size & price point.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Same here bro. Ill add ijoy to the list after the fiasco they had with limitless.

Smok seems to be one of the top Chinese companies at the moment & I will continue to buy their products until they start to slack off & someone else takes their spot.

Outside of the paint chipping, the alien is a great Mod. Especially its size & price point.
i don't mind ijoy. they are much better then sig, wismec, joyetech, eleaf, kanger, aspire, P4U. but i think they are a step below smok. smok seems to be the best of the "non premier" mod makers

bugalien

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am loving mine. I make sure to never use the usb to charge and use lg hg2 batteries. The only issue I have had is it sometimes doesn't ask me if it is a new coil when removing and replacing tanks. I just remove the tank, press the fire bar to get the no coil prompt, then replace and it will ask.

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have mods from MANY that are on some people list not to buy.
Out of every mod I have (stopped counting at 80) none of them have been defective.
Correction - All of them work in power mode.
(I added that line because of the 7 Sigelei Fuchai 213s that I have)
Not a single one has ever went up in smoke, stopped working, malfunctioned, or any other issue I see others report.
Maybe I've just been exceptionally lucky.
If that is the case, I'll take it and consider it a make up for some of my previous bad luck in life.
But I wake up breathing every day so I guess my luck never has been all that bad so far.
Let's see what tomorrow brings.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I have mods from MANY that are on some people list not to buy.
Out of every mod I have (stopped counting at 80) none of them have been defective.
Correction - All of them work in power mode.
(I added that line because of the 7 Sigelei Fuchai 213s that I have)
Not a single one has ever went up in smoke, stopped working, malfunctioned, or any other issue I see others report.
Maybe I've just been exceptionally lucky.
If that is the case, I'll take it and consider it a make up for some of my previous bad luck in life.
But I wake up breathing every day so I guess my luck never has been all that bad so far.
Let's see what tomorrow brings.
i had a couple with issues but both were resolved. one was exchanged for store credit (VT133) and one was fixed under warranty (Hohmwrecker G2) i have about 20-25 mods i think so very little issues. and thats not including ones I've given away that never gave me issues. i only have 2 aliens (but might get a 3rd even though i really should stop buying shit lol)

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i had a couple with issues but both were resolved. one was exchanged for store credit (VT133) and one was fixed under warranty (Hohmwrecker G2) i have about 20-25 mods i think so very little issues. and thats not including ones I've given away that never gave me issues. i only have 2 aliens (but might get a 3rd even though i really should stop buying shit lol)
Why stop buying, I may run out of gear one day and need someone to borrow from.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Why stop buying, I may run out of gear one day and need someone to borrow from.
lol cause every day i say i'm done and every day i buy more lol it'll take months to use everything i got

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Awesome, that means when I run out of things to test I can help you get caught up?
I'll run out long before u lol. Then I'll head to your bat cave for more

Same thing happened to me but the screens on and off and won't fire, feels bad because I was saving for a kylin tank now I'll get a new mod.

BlairTheMaori

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Wait, V1 or VB? my one lasted 5 days. blew a chip just below the screen on the left. the screen went blank, google said try reflash it, so i did. successfully. it went pop when i put the batteries back in. my brothers one has done over 80k puffs. and has been dropped multiple times... once in a puddle. his is v1, mines vb. it was one of his spares that had never been used. (he also has two gx350s that are still in the box).

VU Sponsors