Become a Patron!

Smok baby beast rant.......

Tasty storm

Member For 1 Year
What's a guy to do when he wants to vape? He goes to his buddy's vape shop of course! He walks in the door and he sees what appears to be a great deal on something he desperately wants, that's what. However he should've done some research like his first go around.........So I walk into the vape shop, 'what's up bud? What you got today in the line of kits?' "well we have this smok alien starter kit and this smok veneno kit and......." 'hmmmmmm, let me see the alien, that veneno is way too flashy for me.' Purchase made, happy customer vaping on some huckleberry house blend, man this tastes good! So here we are, 3 days in and the pre-installed q2 is shot, luckily I had the foresight to immediately order coils as when I tried the t8 (t4?) octocoil I hated it, way too restricted and little flavor. The next coil lasted me 4 days I found this odd as my herakles coils would last me at the very least a week, but usually longer than that! So I ordered a herakles plus. On ebay. Was supposed to arrive on the 8th of March, it's not even marked as shipped! I've requested a refund. OK, so now I know there's a problem as the 3rd coil pissed the tank out of the air holes. Look online, sure enough, quality control issues with these coils. Which really sucks because I really love this tank when it works right. Double blow about the herakles because that's a bad mother chucker too! (I will own another one!) So..... What's a guy to do? He buys an rba of course! But this time he does his research first. Then he moves forward with a list of possibilities to look for and only those. I ended up getting the digiflavor drop. This is my first rda, so there was a learning curve but once I got it dialed in I fell in love with it. The issue I'm having is I operate heavy equipment and it gets pretty dusty and tastes like dirt by the end of the day, I know that the tfv8 baby coils are compatible with other tanks so could anyone recommend some good coils from one of those tanks? I'd rather get some first hand insight than try my luck.

mikeyboy74

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Good list in the link. Now Smok has new Prince Baby tank with new coils that are supposed to be backwards compatible. This includes mesh, q4, and a 12 coil.

I hear some have gotten better coil life by making little pin pricks in the cotton, to help wicking and prevent dry hits.

These days I am more into the Fireluke Pro, Arco 2, and for less power the Uforce.

Others like the Fireluke Mesh, Falcon, Valyrian, and Crown 3. I have a Valyrian, but not the others.

The Herakles Plus is an older design, great for its time, e.g. Nov 2015.

JMB17

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
My first mod ever was the Alien 220 and I loved it. I'll admit the flavour wasn't amazing but it was still pretty good. I can't remember which coils I used to use with them but when I first started vaping I just wanted to blow clouds and the baby beast gave me what I wanted. It wasn't until later down the line that I decided I need to upgrade. I've tried many many many tanks and my favourite two are the Crown 3 (best tank I've tried for flavour. Not too much clouds though) and the Smok Prince (huge clouds and great flavour). I would recommend one of those tanks if you're looking for something to give you more flavour. When I had the baby beast I loved it but then I tried other things and realized that tank was good for one thing and one thing only - clouds.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Welcome @Tasty storm and I hope you enjoy your stay~!

I get anywhere from 3,000 to 5,000 puffs on the X4 coils in my Baby Beast but I fire my coils at 20-25% less than the minimum recommended wattage. Works for me and proven by how long my coils last me. Some say how do I get any vapor production but I take 6-8 second hits regularly so I produce clouds.

Last edited:

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I never got past 5-7 days with them. I figured a 5 pack per month but a bit longer. Not over 50w for me. Usually 35-45w w/Q2 or x4.
As far as leaking, I still have the only smok tank I've owned - BBB. Never had a leaking issue from the tank or coil. I know some have, but as far as leaking from coil, I tend to think it's user error.

JMB17

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
I never got past 5-7 days with them. I figured a 5 pack per month but a bit longer. Not over 50w for me. Usually 35-45w w/Q2 or x4.
As far as leaking, I still have the only smok tank I've owned - BBB. Never had a leaking issue from the tank or coil. I know some have, but as far as leaking from coil, I tend to think it's user error.

That's really weird. I think I used to run it between 60w-80w. 5-7 days is a killer. I would get so frustrated.

Tasty storm

Member For 1 Year
Good list in the link. Now Smok has new Prince Baby tank with new coils that are supposed to be backwards compatible. This includes mesh, q4, and a 12 coil.

I hear some have gotten better coil life by making little pin pricks in the cotton, to help wicking and prevent dry hits.

These days I am more into the Fireluke Pro, Arco 2, and for less power the Uforce.

Others like the Fireluke Mesh, Falcon, Valyrian, and Crown 3. I have a Valyrian, but not the others.

The Herakles Plus is an older design, great for its time, e.g. Nov 2015.
Yeah, I was actually thinking that possibly my nostalgia is telling me that tank is better than it really is, I've been looking at the falcon for its wood pulp and mesh coils, the arco 2 and crown 3, I like variety and it's much easier for me at work to have multiple tanks all with different flavors, so maybe this just means I should get them all! Lol, can't have too many atomizers, right?
I'll have to look into the prince coils, my vape shop owner friend offered to sell me his personal prince tank for 5 bux

Tasty storm

Member For 1 Year
There's been good feedback on Ello coils but can't say for sure they fit.
Take a look here http://vapingunderground.com/threads/smok-baby-beast-coil-fits.342982/
Thank you!
My first mod ever was the Alien 220 and I loved it. I'll admit the flavour wasn't amazing but it was still pretty good. I can't remember which coils I used to use with them but when I first started vaping I just wanted to blow clouds and the baby beast gave me what I wanted. It wasn't until later down the line that I decided I need to upgrade. I've tried many many many tanks and my favourite two are the Crown 3 (best tank I've tried for flavour. Not too much clouds though) and the Smok Prince (huge clouds and great flavour). I would recommend one of those tanks if you're looking for something to give you more flavour. When I had the baby beast I loved it but then I tried other things and realized that tank was good for one thing and one thing only - clouds.
Welcome @Tasty storm and I hope you enjoy your stay~!

I get anywhere from 3,000 to 5,000 puffs on the X4 coils in my Baby Beast but I fire my coils at 20-25% less than the minimum recommended wattage. Works for me and proven by how long my coils last me. So,e say how do I get any vapor production but I take 6-8 second hits regularly so I produce clouds.
My problem is more with the inconsistencies among the coils, I didn't mention this but one of the coils lasted me a good week, but only ONE!

Tasty storm

Member For 1 Year
I would agree about the user error deal but the one coil that pissed all the juice out had a ripped o ring,

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My baby beast coils last 2-4 weeks so don't get what people are doing wrong!
These coils take alot of priming, I drop liquid down the centre till I see the outlets on the side turn grey. Then start at 30 watts after taking a few primer pulls.
I go up in 5 watt increments, take more primer pukka then go up 5 watts. I do this till I get to 50 watts and have only ever had a couple dud coils.
I prefer the prince and crown but the baby beast is still in my top ten

Ralph_K

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I got the X-baby and the Ello and bought to Baby for my mom. The Baby is dinky and the Ello is a better tank. I like the drip tip better and hole for refilling is bigger comes with 2ml and 4ml glass.

Tasty storm

Member For 1 Year
These coils take alot of priming, I drop liquid down the centre till I see the outlets on the side turn grey. Then start at 30 watts after taking a few primer pulls.
I go up in 5 watt increments, take more primer pukka then go up 5 watts. I do this till I get to 50 watts and have only ever had a couple dud coils.
Here's the thing, I had one that performed correctly, I highly doubt it's user error as I prime all my coils nearly to the point of dripping wet and then still let it sit in a full tank for 20-30 minutes before firing and on top of that I break my coils in at a super low wattage for the first tank full so if you can tell me what I'm doing wrong still? Point is I've never had these issues with any other tank's coils and I've used plenty more than just what I've owned

Tasty storm

Member For 1 Year
Come to think of it, the coil that worked right was bought separately from the rest, with all these comments I now suspect I just got a very bad batch. I'm gonna give this tank one more shot and order another pack of coils, see what happens. I really like the tank when it works it'd be a shame to get rid of a good product due to a freak occurrence.

JMB17

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Here's the thing, I had one that performed correctly, I highly doubt it's user error as I prime all my coils nearly to the point of dripping wet and then still let it sit in a full tank for 20-30 minutes before firing and on top of that I break my coils in at a super low wattage for the first tank full so if you can tell me what I'm doing wrong still? Point is I've never had these issues with any other tank's coils and I've used plenty more than just what I've owned

Are you using a new juice that you've never had before? I've bought some juices before that destroy my coils after 2 days. I stopped using those juices and never had that problem again.

Tasty storm

Member For 1 Year
Nope, same juice. I do have some juice that is only used in my rda because it's heavy citrus flavor and I know citrus juices kill coils,but the juice I've used in the beast wasn't even a super sweet one so I don't think that's it, maybe though

JMB17

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Nope, same juice. I do have some juice that is only used in my rda because it's heavy citrus flavor and I know citrus juices kill coils,but the juice I've used in the beast wasn't even a super sweet one so I don't think that's it, maybe though

Try switching up the juice. If that doesn't work then it's probably a shitty pack of coils.

JMB17

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
I've found that with some juices I get 2-3 weeks out of the coils but if I put the exact same juice in another tank I might only get 1 week. I've learned what works in what tank for me. It might not be the juice itself being too sweet or whatnot, it might just not work as well with other tanks.

Tasty storm

Member For 1 Year
I guess I used two juices, house blend huckleberry (sounds sweeter than it is) and the parsec, once I juice a coils it keeps the same juice til the coil dies, so 2 juices, different coils, same issue. I'm pretty convinced now that it was a shit pack of coils

Tasty storm

Member For 1 Year
I've found that with some juices I get 2-3 weeks out of the coils but if I put the exact same juice in another tank I might only get 1 week. I've learned what works in what tank for me. It might not be the juice itself being too sweet or whatnot, it might just not work as well with other tanks.
Now that's something I haven't considered, my juices are mainly max vg, maybe that's too thick for the tfv8 baby coils

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Same here. I do almost exactly the same routine. I usually get over three weeks out of the Q2 coils. I run them at 50W with DIY juice.

Ralph_K

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I only get 3-5 days out of smok coils. Everyone vapes differently you can't really compare by days. One guy said he vaped 30ml per a day I imagine a coil doesn't last him even a day. I vape some where between 12 and 15 ml a day

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I only get 3-5 days out of smok coils. Everyone vapes differently you can't really compare by days. One guy said he vaped 30ml per a day I imagine a coil doesn't last him even a day. I vape some where between 12 and 15 ml a day
You're right. Some people vape only one device, some use ten. I usually have four or five different vapes going per day. So my "over three weeks" would be cut considerably if all I had was one baby beast to vape on.

Tasty storm

Member For 1 Year
Let me clarify, I've been averaging 2-4 tanks with 2 exceptions, the one that I keep saying worked right (purchased separately from the 5 pack from a different store) lasted me I think about 10 tanks and the last one I had which gave me the most incredible burned cotton dry hit on its 3rd hit of the first tank

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Now that's something I haven't considered, my juices are mainly max vg, maybe that's too thick for the tfv8 baby coils

I only vape High or Max VG and never found the VG to be a problem but sweeteners is surely a coil killer. Never found fruits or citrus to be hard on coils and was surprised to read that. Tank killer maybe~!

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
the last one I had which gave me the most incredible burned cotton dry hit on its 3rd hit of the first tank

This to me sounds like it was not properly primed but only a Hypothesis since it wasn't in my hands.

Tasty storm

Member For 1 Year
I only vape High or Max VG and never found the VG to be a problem but sweeteners is surely a coil killer. Never found fruits or citrus to be hard on coils and was surprised to read that. Tank killer maybe~!
My bad, I think I got confused, citrus kills o rings not coils

Tasty storm

Member For 1 Year
This to me sounds like it was not properly primed but only a Hypothesis since it wasn't in my hands.
Problem with that is, the tank was sitting for 2 days before I used it as I myself was starting to suspect they weren't primed right so I popped a new coil in (after manually priming) filled the tank and left it alone for a few days and that specific coil is what inspired this post

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
In your case you could of had dud coils for sure. I was aiming this more at new vapers who don't prime a coil properly!

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Problem with that is, the tank was sitting for 2 days before I used it as I myself was starting to suspect they weren't primed right so I popped a new coil in (after manually priming) filled the tank and left it alone for a few days and that specific coil is what inspired this post

Did you put liquid directly on the coils and cotton? I never just fill the tank I usually flood my coils to prime them. Overkill but long life.

JMB17

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
It's probably just a really bad pack of coils. Strange that every coil in there is a dud though.

Tasty storm

Member For 1 Year
OK, to clear up some things, yes I soak the coils BEFORE installing, AND I still have 2 coils from the 5 pack left, I'll try another tonight

Tasty storm

Member For 1 Year
I would even get a new pack from a different shop. Unfortunately it really is like gambling; you never know when you'll win with a good pack or when you'll lose your money on a shit pack.
Bought em on eBay, maybe that's the problem, do people counterfeit subohm tank coils? Lol

JMB17

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year

Tasty storm

Member For 1 Year
I definitely think that's your problem. I've read on here somewhere that someone bought coils from ebay and they were the worst. Get them from a store or from an online store. These are my favourite online stores:

https://www.eightvape.com/search?type=product&q=*baby beast coil*

https://breazy.com/search?ag_q=baby+beast+coil
I bet that's it, the coil that worked good was purchased in my friends shop, reason I went on ebay is in shop price is 5.75 per coil and ebay had 5 packs for 13 bux

JMB17

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
I bet that's it, the coil that worked good was purchased in my friends shop, reason I went on ebay is in shop price is 5.75 per coil and ebay had 5 packs for 13 bux

Check out those sites. Same price as ebay but at least you'll know they're legit.

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hahaha, funny. Let's not make assumptions on the skill levels of people we don't know, that's almost as stupid as making a mistake and blaming the equipment
Excuse me but that's not even aimed at you so wind your fucking neck in. I clearly said new vapers early on in thread

VU Sponsors