Smok G-PRIV charging

Discussion in 'Regulated (Voltage / Wattage / 3.7v/ Temp Control)' started by texmexican, Dec 3, 2016.

1. texmexican

texmexican New Member

Blog Posts:
    I recently bought a Smok G-PRIV and I am changing it for the first time. But when I go to plug it in it makes a high pitch sound. Kind of like it's gonna explode. Do I need to by a battery charger? Or is it safe to charge in the micro USB port?

2. jamezcua12

jamezcua12 New Member

Blog Posts:
    It's always better to charge it with a battery charger just in case if it short out better to get a new battery than a whole new mod

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

3. texmexican

texmexican New Member

Blog Posts:
    I went back to the vape shop I bought it from and he said it's probably just the amplifier breaking in. Good thing is, if it messes up, he will replace it for free. And I went ahead and bought a battery charger and 2 extra batteries

4. speedman2049

speedman2049 New Member

Blog Posts:
    Hey there!
    I had the exact same thing happen to me as well!
    First time i plugged it in to charge, there was a high pitch sound! I think it only happened the first and 2nd time i used the device and after that, never happened again and i had the device for about 1 month now!

texmexican likes this.
  5. Scottyryan1981

Scottyryan1981 New Member

Blog Posts:
    I am having the same problem with the g priv. A silly high pitch noise when charging through USB. How do I get rid of this!? Also, I am running the limitless XL with the 0.15 prebuilt coil, and every now and then whilst firing for a hit, the device tends to stop firing maybe a for a second, then start up again!? Any thought? Thanks

6. speedman2049

speedman2049 New Member

Blog Posts:
    1st make sure that you use a usb charger with 2amp output (a pc usb will only give out about 1amp).
    2nd, even when i used my 2amp usb charger, when i used a thin wired usb cable, it still made the noise. As soon as i switched the wire to the short one that came with the g-priv, it stopped.

Verified this by switching the wires back and fourth several times on the same charger and always got the noise with the this usb wire. Must be that the short thicker wire is able to transfer more energy.

7. speedman2049

speedman2049 New Member

Blog Posts:
    Not sure about the g priv stopping on you, maybe if using temp control, it could be detecting a slight contact issue or not having enough juice wick to the coil. Also i heard there was an update to the firmware to resolve an issue like that but i never tried as there was fears of people bricking their g-priv device.

8. Scottyryan1981

Scottyryan1981 New Member

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the quick response. I will use the other USB wire supplied and try and upgrade.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

9. speedman2049

speedman2049 New Member

Blog Posts:
    No worries, but as for the firmware upgrade, be careful! Check it out first online as there was a couple of people that reported that it bricked their g-priv!

10. Clee2010

Clee2010 New Member

Blog Posts:
    I have the same problem with mine misfiring but I have noticed if I press the button a little harder it never misses a beat. Kind of silly but just my .02

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

11. I so know this!

I so know this! New Member

Blog Posts:
    The comment below this one is the CORRECT ANSWER TO THE ORIGINAL POST FOR ANYONE HEARING NOISES WHILE CHARGING!

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  12. I so know this!

I so know this! New Member

Blog Posts:
    It's 100% your charging cable. Use the short thick one that came with it or do some studying to find out why they one comes with it works and why a basic USB makes it sound like it's going to blow up. And maybe there is a longer one you could buy but it definitely must be a certain kind. It's 100% the cable. A basic phone charging USB IS NOT recommended at ALL. That sound is NOT good. It doesn't need all those upgrades and weird stuff. Use the correct charger. CASE CLOSED!

13. Ompa

Ompa New Member

Blog Posts:
    I also have the gpriv and as far as the firing breaking for a second goes. Ive notice the button requires a strong push, the same thing was happening to me and it was just me not keeping the button pushed in. I adjust my hand to press the button more towards the top and it hasnt happened again.

14. Jacobbbailey

Jacobbbailey New Member

Blog Posts:
    The box I use to charge my vape is a 2.1 amp output but my vape makes no noise like you guys are reporting is it still okay to use the 2.1 amp?