1. VAPING UNDERGROUND VAPE BANDS ARE NOW AVAILABLE!
    CLICK HERE TO GET YOURS

Smok mods keep breaking

Discussion in 'RECALLS, and Faulty Products' started by Bkb73, Sep 28, 2018.

Tags:
?

Has your smok broken immediately?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. No

8 vote(s)
    72.7%
  1. Bkb73

Bkb73 New Member

Blog Posts:
    Hi, I'm new to the forum, so if this has been covered or is misplaced I apologize...haven't figured out how to search forum topics yet...
    I've been through two baby beasts and a priv v8 in about a month
    I will inevitably drop any mods I buy...most can handle a few bounces...but not any smok mod I've tried.
    It seems the top plate of the mod itself being held on w 2 torx screws is a bad design. If your unlucky enough to have your tank be the first thing to hit the carpet, the top plate breaks loose or strips out the screws that hold it on.
    Is this a problem others have had? Any tips on fixing? Because it's been caused by dropping I haven't bothered with a warranty claim. Thinking I just won't buy from smok anymore, but was curious if this is a common problem?
    Peace!
    B

Cheetos likes this.
  2. Cheetos

Cheetos New Member

Blog Posts:
    I have two SMOK AL-85"s, one is pretty darned loose like you described and the other I haven't dropped yet. The design is not good for dropping as you stated. The two torx screws go directly into plastic. You are not alone my friend.

Bkb73 likes this.
  3. obijuan77

obijuan77 Bronze Contributor

Blog Posts:
    SMOK mods tend to do that. They're kinda known for that....

Bkb73 and Cheetos like this.
  4. Bkb73

Bkb73 New Member

Blog Posts:
    Thanks! I tried Google searching and didn't find anyone talking about this..appreciate your reply!

Cheetos likes this.
  5. leadpipe58

leadpipe58 Member For 3 Years ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    2 smoke products and just junk.beware.

Bkb73 and Pastorfuzz like this.
  6. Ralph_K

Ralph_K Bronze Contributor

Blog Posts:
    I had an alien last me about 1 month. I don't buy anything smok anymore. If you want a good cheapish mod original Voopoo drag is pretty good.

Bkb73, Pastorfuzz and lak611 like this.
  7. 5150sick

5150sick Under Ground Hustler Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 4 Years ECF Refugee Mod Team Leader

Blog Posts:

Smok has really bad quality control issues.

You may get one where only the paint wears off and it lasts for years.

But you may get one that's dead in three months.

Since people don't regularly come to vaping forums to sing praises of mid quality, low price Chinese mods and tanks you mostly see horror stories like yours.

I always ask people is they remember the first xbox360 released in 2005.
    The one without an HDMI output.

They had a failure rate of 25% of all units after 12 months of use.
    That means for every four they sell one will break because of quality control issues.

The Red Ring of Death (or RROD) was caused by lead free solder connecting the processor to the circuit board that got so hot that it would melt.

Smok is the 2005 Era Xbox360 of vaping

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    lak611, fq06 and Rooster Cogburn like this.
  8. Rooster Cogburn

Rooster Cogburn Silver Contributor ECF Refugee Reddit Exile

Blog Posts:
    Smok pump out so many mods so fast that they don’t seem to worry about QC. I believe Smok’s motto is quantity not quality. I like Smoant mods. I had a Kanger kbox break after a couple months for no reason and in my search for something better I got a Smoant Battlestar. Some good companies that make affordable mods that last longer then Smok mods, generally speaking, are Smoant, Voopoo, Tesla, and Vaporesso. Any of the mods by these makers can break also but they seem to lower failure rate then most for mods in this price range. No hard numbers on this but based on observations people seem to be fairly happy with these companies’ mod offerings. Best of luck and I hope you have better luck in the future.

lak611 and Bkb73 like this.
  9. OhmzRaw

OhmzRaw Silver Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    A solid device would be the Geekvape Aegis Legend. It is one of my favourite mods of 2018 when it comes to dual battery regulated mods.

The legend can handle a beating which makes it an excellent mod to own as a daily carry. Geekvape's QC is pretty great IMO. Some Legend's did have issues initially with the first runs but the latest firmware updated seems to have fixed up the issues.

I highly recommend the Aegis Legend if you are looking for something durable and can handle a beating.

lak611 and Bkb73 like this.
  10. Bkb73

Bkb73 New Member

Blog Posts:
    I ended up switching to vapresso... much higher quality!

Rooster Cogburn likes this.
  11. Just Frank

Just Frank Gold Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    Priv V8 looks like a piece of shit. Smok does make some decent mods but that priv v8 looks like a flimsy starter type deal. No mods are meant to be dropped. I have a few V8 sticks from Smok. They have been used a ton and dropped all the time. They still work. The only Smok mod that broke on me was an Alien I used for around two years heavily. I dropped it on asphalt twice in a row. So thats my fault not Smoks. Not all of their stuff is garbage but the forums will make you think so.

I'm a Smoant and Vaporesso fan too. You should be happy with your new mod. Try not to drop it too much.

gsmit1 and Rooster Cogburn like this.
  12. Bkb73

Bkb73 New Member

Blog Posts:
    It's not the forum that makes me think their junk, it's the design...really like the vaporesso tarot nano! The tank it comes with isnt the best, but works well as long as you use thin juice. Doesn't like heavy vg at all. Coils are really cheap and easy to change!
    I have a tremor (shakey hands) so I dont try to drop it...but bound to happen

CaraMella_Vapes likes this.
  13. Ralph_K

Ralph_K Bronze Contributor

Blog Posts:
    Stay around a while and you'll see plenty of threads about failed smok mods.

Bkb73 and Pastorfuzz like this.
  14. Bkb73

Bkb73 New Member

Blog Posts:
    I'm believe it! Seems like major mass production always reduces quality. They kinda tricked me...the metal outer shell and weight of the mod made it seem really tough...but on closer inspection it's all held together by tiny screws sunk into cheap flimsy plastic...oh well, live and learn.
    Cool forum! Think I'll stick around Thanks for all the replies!!

CaraMella_Vapes likes this.
  15. Bkb73

Bkb73 New Member

Blog Posts:
    Thanks! I'll definitely check it out!

16. Cheetos

Cheetos New Member

Blog Posts:
    in all honesty, I DO like my AL-85's. I like the design, and they do work pretty well. I'm not against them, just the use of a plastic inner frame was a poor quality choice. I opened up my broken one and put it back together with JB Weld. It's alive and well. When I need a new one, I'm going to try the Pico. It looks just like the AL-85 but I'm told it's built of better materials. With the price of DIY liquid and the very few vape devices I've bought in my 3-4 years of not smoking - I'm still ahead money wise. I just wanted to tell you, yes I've been through the Smok breaking dilemma and that was how I made it continue to work. I regret buying them as much as i regret buying my first few cars. They served their purpose just fine, but today I buy better cars than I did back then. Have a great day friend.

Bkb73 likes this.
  17. Bkb73

Bkb73 New Member

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the info!

18. SteveS45

SteveS45 Diamond Contributor Member For 2 Years ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
  19. G>O>M

G>O>M New Member

Blog Posts:
    you may also want to consider a silicone protector case
    and tank protector band ( still the best one i have is an old gaming mouse scroll wheel band .. before i knew they actually existed to buy )
    and dont buy mods that look sexy or cool .. buy ones that look like they can take a bit ( x-priv , aegis legend etc )

20. MannyScoot

MannyScoot Platinum Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    All Chinese junk.... You have to pay $150 bucks plus to get something that will last over (6)months.....

Ijoy
    Smok
    Sigelei
    Fuchai
    Triade

All bullshit.....

Luck I had with....
    Yihi
    Asmodus
    Viscous Ant
    Anything DNA 200
    RX200 years in service

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

21. The Cromwell

The Cromwell The Frugal Vapist VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    Nope. Been using the same Kbox Mini mod daily for over 3 years with the same STM on top.
    Been using another one for over a year.
    Been using the same Pico Squeeze OG for over a year now.

I do have 2 Smok mods that I picked up on clearance for around $15 each for last resort vape stash.
    I forget the model but they have screws holding the battery door on and bluetooth? 65W if I recall correctly...
    Vaped each one for one battery charge in each of them then removed battery and put in rear of last resort vape stash.

MannyScoot likes this.
  22. JuicyLucy

JuicyLucy My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 2 Years VU Challenge Team ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    And costs well under $150

I have iSticks by eLeaf that have been used daily for many years - super cheap and they just work

The Cromwell and MannyScoot like this.
  23. MannyScoot

Blog Posts:
    Yeah but the way they were built is not equivalent to today's standards........

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

24. MannyScoot

Blog Posts:
    Just like I told juice Lucy.....
    Yesterday's standards are not equivalent to today's...... A mod that lasted 2 or 3 years..... Last less than 6 months in today's real time.....

Specially if you use one mod.......

Back in the day 25 to 40 watts was the norm..... Max was with a DNA 40

Today's crowd wants 90watts to 250 watts..... These machines get quickly worn at that wattage

The Smok mods are autofiring and melting left and right......

25. SteveS45

Blog Posts:
    I have an RX200S that is over 4 years old or so and has been dropped at least once a day for the past 4 years, that is still firing and I use in TC mode all the time. Never a problem with the 510 either

26. The Cromwell

The Cromwell The Frugal Vapist VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    25-40 watts is still the norm for lots of us.
    they come out with new single cell mods all the time.

for me 16-17 with my STM
    23-25 for My OG Merlins
    30-40 with my Wasp/Squeeze.

I have tried bigger wattage devices. Gave all the tanks away and the dual battery mods are in a box.
    And split up all my paired cells.

Many are still seeking, I have found.

27. SteveS45

Blog Posts:
    I vaped at 10 Watts or so for years but lately it is 60W and 460°F in TC Mode for me. Times change and so does my vaping style. Tomorrow you never know I could switch to an RDA with a sick build that I fire at 100 Plus Watts or go back to 10 Watts. Life is worth living when you have variety and not stuck stuck in a rut.

:vino::ejuice::cloud::stars2: