Become a Patron!

smok t8 coil.can the ohms be set higher

I got a smok alien 220w and use the t8 coils and there rated at .15 ohms.they been running about .188 ohms and I run 80-90 watts.
now I was messing with the ohm settings on my mod and turned it up to .250 and hit harder so I turned the watts down to 50 and it hit about the same as if the ohms were .18 and at 90 watts.
now my question is can the ohms on these coils be turned up higher like I did and be fine?
reason im asking cause the mod batteries drain quicker at higher watts

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I think it's going to drain the batts at the same rate. You're basically fooling it into pushing more voltage through the coil because you raised the resistance. I doubt it'll do anything positive. Might even burn up the coil faster.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
That feature should not even be on mods. Use what resistance the mod says not what you want. Your confusing the mod because the math is off on the atty side so you don't know whats going on in the chip or battery side. Not a good idea but it's your mod so do what ever you want.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If it fires it should be safe.....

If you don't care if the digital reading are accurate...... set it how ever you like to get the vape you want..... yes on some mods you can tell the mod what starting ohm to use as base for calculations.... you might get a good vape that way.... but because you are fudging the math to do it the readings wattage and temp might be off... Fact Is a good vape is a good vape regardless what the mod says it iis outputting.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Crunchyblack

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have a SMOK GPRIV and when i install new coils it always reads a higher ohm than the coil states. Im running a T6 .2 and it set initial ohm to .273 or something. Really confusing, turned it down to .2. Interesting enough i feel it hits better a bit above .2 than at .2. Maybe its all in my head. Is this an attempt to preheat with "initial" ohms being higher than stated or should i just set it to.2 and carry on? Or could it be inaccurate coils that are more resistant than stated and the device picks that up?

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have a SMOK GPRIV and when i install new coils it always reads a higher ohm than the coil states. Im running a T6 .2 and it set initial ohm to .273 or something. Really confusing, turned it down to .2. Interesting enough i feel it hits better a bit above .2 than at .2. Maybe its all in my head. Is this an attempt to preheat with "initial" ohms being higher than stated or should i just set it to.2 and carry on? Or could it be inaccurate coils that are more resistant than stated and the device picks that up?
It's reading the actual resistance of the coil. What's printed on the coil is just the target they were aiming for in manufacturing, and they don't always hit it dead-on.
It's best to let the mod do it's job reading the coil, and the user adjusting the wattage to suit.

Crunchyblack

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It's reading the actual resistance of the coil. What's printed on the coil is just the target they were aiming for in manufacturing, and they don't always hit it dead-on.
It's best to let the mod do it's job reading the coil, and the user adjusting the wattage to suit.

interesting, it changed on me. Just installed my Uwell Crown 3 with the preinstalled .25 ohm coil. It read .5! it was time to do a quick charge on my batteries so i ripped them out, let the new tank/coil soak while i charge. Ofc it asked if it was a new coil once i started my mod back up and it read .33. Im just going to set it slightly above .25...its initial resistance so maybe its a type of preheat that will level out as its runs power through the coil?

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
If it's reading that far off on multiple tanks/coils, the problem may be in the mod's 510 connector. It could be dirty, loose, poorly soldered, sticking, etc. I don't have the Gpriv, so I can't really give you anything more specific.

Crunchyblack

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If it's reading that far off on multiple tanks/coils, the problem may be in the mod's 510 connector. It could be dirty, loose, poorly soldered, sticking, etc. I don't have the Gpriv, so I can't really give you anything more specific.

might be true, looked at the 510 pin in the mod and theres a little dot of ?? won't come off might be metal. Colored gold so maybe extra plating? or maybe clear glue? Either way ive had no issues at all just following what the coil says it is...was strange. next time i have the batteries out ill use something stronger than a qtip to get whatever the blemish is off. still unsure if it can be removed. It always reads higher ohms than the coil states not much but was something confusing to me especially since its titled "initial" ohms making me think its where it starts for like a preheat (despite having preheat wattage settings)

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
You're on the right track with the "initial ohms" thing. It's the coil's resistance at room temp. A wire's resistance will rise as it's heated, and fall as it cools. The chip bases all it's calculations off the initial reading; so if you change that, you're just basically fooling the chip into using the wrong starting point for doing it's thing.

lordmage

The Sky has Fallen. the End is Here.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
now i have had it sort of reverse. new coil rated .15 initial reading .17 within range. vape it after a break in period. switch tanks and of course the ohms read for that tank so it's a new coil. 1go back to the first tank regardless of cool down period ohm reading always drops to .15 then it stays on mod and vapes at .15 for quite a while but resistance does go up over use and by about .18 the coil it crapped out and is replaced and cycle starts over.

non tct coils...

for TC coils i soak the coils before using them on the mod overnight then set initial resistance and such and vape it till it burns.

VU Sponsors