Become a Patron!

Smok tanks leak a little

chuckpie85

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Had the same issue with the big baby tank. Only solution I found was to screw the coil into the chimney first not the base

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I've experienced the same problem with my sole Smok TFV16 tank. See: Smok TFV16?. Tended to notice it after the tank had been sitting for a while.

As I noted in a post subsequent to the one noted above: My suspicion is it's because the coils and juice ports are so large, and the wicking so effective.

When it happened to me it wasn't all that much. Just a drop or two, really.

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Mine just did it again, after having no problem all day yesterday. I think my theory as to what's happening, at least to me, is confirmed. Yesterday I used it shortly after reinstalling the coil I'd been using, filling the tank, and giving it a few minutes to get wicking again.

Today I put the tank back on my mod before lunch, then vaped it after lunch. Leak. Not bad, but enough to be annoying. This happened after I vaped on it after lunch. And I'd noticed, those first few vapes, it had been a bit flooded.

If that is what's happening, I'm not certain how to get around it other than to drain the tank when it's going to be sitting unused for very long. That would be a bit of a PITA.

ETA: Revising my thinking. This time I inspected the area under the deck before vaping on the tank after storage ever since late yesterday afternoon. Sure enough: There was juice in there. Not a lot, but enough that it would've dribbled out and onto the mod when I went to vape. Blew it out onto a paper towel about fifteen minutes ago. Looks like it's staying dry-ish. So now my thinking is it seeps a little due to the coil continuing to wick and some juice eventually finds its way down to the airflow area.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors