Become a Patron!

Smok tfv12 and safety

hi guys,
i recently got the smok v12 tank. so far its doing great, but i need some help in the safety dept! im running it on a reuleaux 2/3 with the 3 battery setup. the batteries are the imren purple 3000mah and an over rated 40a rating. ive saw moochs chart that he rates them at 17a cdc and 20a max. so my question is how high can i actually take the wattage up to and still be in the safe zone? right now im vaping it at 75 watts. the flavor and vapor are both ok i guess but not great. any help would be great!

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
hi guys,
i recently got the smok v12 tank. so far its doing great, but i need some help in the safety dept! im running it on a reuleaux 2/3 with the 3 battery setup. the batteries are the imren purple 3000mah and an over rated 40a rating. ive saw moochs chart that he rates them at 17a cdc and 20a max. so my question is how high can i actually take the wattage up to and still be in the safe zone? right now im vaping it at 75 watts. the flavor and vapor are both ok i guess but not great. any help would be great!
get better batteries. with those I'd say no more then 160 watts. If you got some nice sony VTC5a batts you can push it to the 250 easily.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
so it should be fine ith about 100-120 watts then. where is a good place to get the sonys? ive saw alot of sites sell fakes
illumn.com liionwholesale.com and imrbatteries.com are 3 great sites. just get form whichever has stock and the lowest price at the time.
and yeah in triple batt mode you'd be ok running 120 with those imrens technically.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
ok so the formula to figure how many ampsor current would be....watts(120)/voltage(3.7x3=11.1nominal)=10.8.so that would be 10.8amps from each battery since they are in series. is that how i would figure this out?
That is correct. U can also add 10% for mod efficiency if u wanted but we have enough head room that I usually don't worry about it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Don't worry about how high you can run the power if you are going for flavor. Lower power, less air, and a fancy coil have a lot more to do with flavor. Power is more for clouds. The more cloud you make, the less flavor you get, and visa versa. I know a lot will say this is not true, but they are not actually cloud chasers and don't actually know what a huge cloud is. LOL.
Basically, use enough power to heat your coils to where your vapor and flavor is where you want them.

Now just for the sake of since you asked...
Your mod regulates the power in 2 stages. 1 is determined by batteries and 2 is determined by voltage and resistance. You can ignore this unless you find you are building coils and your mod will not reach its max power output. In that case, your resistance is to high and is limiting the power output from the secondary output limit of the IC board. An example would be 2 coils, 20 wraps each. Would allow you to pull about 145 Watts from a 200w mod. BUT 2 parallel coils, 10 wraps would let you get the full 200w due to lower resistance. (same number of loops per coil, different resistance calculation, resistance in a 2 strand parallel is halved) But you can ignore this pretty much, since you are after flavor anyway.

Either way.. the mod takes care of the safety factors regarding resistance. Using good batteries takes care of safety in case the IC or short protection fails. (I know of only one case of this.. the batteries vented, since the person was using good quality batteries.)

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
so it should be fine ith about 100-120 watts then. where is a good place to get the sonys? ive saw alot of sites sell fakes
I only buy my batteries at my local shop. I KNOW they are authentic and the shop will take them back for disposal when they are worn out. Remember, those shops depend on repeat business just like we depend on them to answer our questions...such as what do you suggest as my first mod, since i am quitting smoking? Or what is a good tank for me that i can rebuild coils on also? Or what would i use to get best flavor? Stuff like that. I even ask the guy for ejuice recommendations, bases on my buying history. He knows not to sell me any tobacco flavors and I prefer pastry or cream over candies.

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
ok so the formula to figure how many ampsor current would be....watts(120)/voltage(3.7x3=11.1nominal)=10.8.so that would be 10.8amps from each battery since they are in series. is that how i would figure this out?

To be more precise, the regulated mods pull more amps the lower the battery charge is, you'd have to figure out what the lowest voltage cutoff is per cell before the mod shuts down due to lack of enough throughput. Generally this on average is about 3.2v per battery in majority of mods, so with a 3 cell config that would 9.6v not 11.1 where the most amps will be pulled from the batteries.

120watts/9.6v=12.5/90% mod control chipset efficiency=13.8889amps to be more accurate. Reversing this formula and using Mooch's CDR rating for them

17amps X 90%=15.3 X 9.6v = 146.88 watts maximum with those batteries.

VU Sponsors