I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Copied from ECR
All credit to Mooch.

SMOK V-Fin “8000mAh” Battery Test Followup self.electronic_cigarette

Submitted 6 minutes ago by Mooch315

I recently tested the battery in the V-Fin 160W mod that SMOK claims has an 8000mAh rating. It turned out to be a 3300mAh 8.4V battery pack...a shameful overrating, even if we call the pack a “6600mAh equivalent”.

https://www.reddit.com/r/electronic_cigarette/comments/8ck85a/hey_smok_stop_playing_ratings_games/

I received some comments wondering if my 3.0V/cell low voltage cutoff for the capacity test might have been too high. Perhaps the pack delivers a lot more capacity if allowed to discharge further?

I retested the pack, using a different electronic load (a device that draws precise amounts of current) for the discharge as a double-check of my testing. The pack delivered 3292mAh at 0.5A down to 3.0V/cell (6.0V for the pack) for this retest. Essentially Identical to my previous results.

Continuing the discharge down to 2.5V/cell, 5.0V for the pack, only resulted in the delivery of another 35mAh. This makes the total 3327mAh.

This is a true 3300mAh 8.4V pack, matching the calculated capacity using the 12.21Wh/3.7V (nominal) info put on the cells by their manufacturer (12.21Wh / 3.7V = 3.3Ah).

For the heck of it I gave the pack a 20A constant-current discharge, measuring its temperature, to get an estimate of its current rating. At its 160W setting the SMOK V-Fin draws about 30A from each cell so I hoped the current rating was pretty high. Especially considering that its cells appear to be the standard round pouch LiPo’s used in so many mods with internal batteries.

At 20A down to 2.8V/cell (5.6V for the pack) the cell temperature rose to 83°C.

If the cells in the SMOK V-Fin are using the same chemistry as LiPo’s they should stay near or below 60°C at their true rating. If they use the same chemistry as our 18650’s, and other metal-can round cells, then they should stay near or below below 75°C-80°C.

I estimate this pack’s continuous current rating to be 10A-12A if it’s a LiPo and 15A-17A if not. In my opinion these are not great ratings if this mod is used hard at higher power levels.

Pastorfuzz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Copied from ECR
All credit to Mooch.

SMOK V-Fin “8000mAh” Battery Test Followup self.electronic_cigarette

Submitted 6 minutes ago by Mooch315

I recently tested the battery in the V-Fin 160W mod that SMOK claims has an 8000mAh rating. It turned out to be a 3300mAh 8.4V battery pack...a shameful overrating, even if we call the pack a “6600mAh equivalent”.

https://www.reddit.com/r/electronic_cigarette/comments/8ck85a/hey_smok_stop_playing_ratings_games/

I received some comments wondering if my 3.0V/cell low voltage cutoff for the capacity test might have been too high. Perhaps the pack delivers a lot more capacity if allowed to discharge further?

I retested the pack, using a different electronic load (a device that draws precise amounts of current) for the discharge as a double-check of my testing. The pack delivered 3292mAh at 0.5A down to 3.0V/cell (6.0V for the pack) for this retest. Essentially Identical to my previous results.

Continuing the discharge down to 2.5V/cell, 5.0V for the pack, only resulted in the delivery of another 35mAh. This makes the total 3327mAh.

This is a true 3300mAh 8.4V pack, matching the calculated capacity using the 12.21Wh/3.7V (nominal) info put on the cells by their manufacturer (12.21Wh / 3.7V = 3.3Ah).

For the heck of it I gave the pack a 20A constant-current discharge, measuring its temperature, to get an estimate of its current rating. At its 160W setting the SMOK V-Fin draws about 30A from each cell so I hoped the current rating was pretty high. Especially considering that its cells appear to be the standard round pouch LiPo’s used in so many mods with internal batteries.

At 20A down to 2.8V/cell (5.6V for the pack) the cell temperature rose to 83°C.

If the cells in the SMOK V-Fin are using the same chemistry as LiPo’s they should stay near or below 60°C at their true rating. If they use the same chemistry as our 18650’s, and other metal-can round cells, then they should stay near or below below 75°C-80°C.

I estimate this pack’s continuous current rating to be 10A-12A if it’s a LiPo and 15A-17A if not. In my opinion these are not great ratings if this mod is used hard at higher power levels.
Manufactured by EFest ?

VU Sponsors