Become a Patron!

Smok X Cube II - Smok's Temp Control Take 2

SirVtHondaGuy08

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Josh at Ecig is the man! I got a Evic mini from them with in issue and he fixed the problem right away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Savage_46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Check out originvape....
I second this. I preordered a sigelei 50w when they first came out. While waiting for the release, I found out I was being sent out of state for training. I emailed origin, & Eric replied very quickly. He upgraded my shipping to ensure it would in my hands before I left. When I asked him ”what if it gets here after I leave? ", he offered to have one sent to my hotel & RTS the first. In the end, it didn't matter as it came in at the very end of the Saturday mail run 10 hours before leaving for the airport. Being a v1 50w, it did have issues reading proper ohms so I had to send it back. I inquired about upgrading to the newly released 100w & Eric said no problem. I'm in Alaska, they're in New York. With that kind of CS, I'm more than happy to wait a couple extra days for shipping.

Kinda off topic & a little long, but I had to share my experience with origin.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Josh at Ecig is the man! I got a Evic mini from them with in issue and he fixed the problem right away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
While I am happy to finally get a resolution in the works. I am not yet ready to roll out the red carpet for Josh and ecig.com. It took quite a while for me to get to this point. Hopefully everything works out well. Like I said in my above post if things get made right I will give Josh and ecig.com the credit they deserve. The fact of the matter is I still had to do all of the leg work to get things in motion. While I believe its very admirable for Josh to post here and apologize I truly hope Josh and Kathy are working on creating a process that does not allow their customers to fall thru the cracks in the future.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I second this. I preordered a sigelei 50w when they first came out. While waiting for the release, I found out I was being sent out of state for training. I emailed origin, & Eric replied very quickly. He upgraded my shipping to ensure it would in my hands before I left. When I asked him ”what if it gets here after I leave? ", he offered to have one sent to my hotel & RTS the first. In the end, it didn't matter as it came in at the very end of the Saturday mail run 10 hours before leaving for the airport. Being a v1 50w, it did have issues reading proper ohms so I had to send it back. I inquired about upgrading to the newly released 100w & Eric said no problem. I'm in Alaska, they're in New York. With that kind of CS, I'm more than happy to wait a couple extra days for shipping.

Kinda off topic & a little long, but I had to share my experience with origin.
I live in NY and I have heard many great things about origin vape. I am definitely going to check them out for future purchases.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Well, as I promised I am updating my situation with the X Cube 2. I am a man of my word and if I am going to criticize a company publicly, when they make things right I have to be prepared to give them the credit they deserve as well. I reached out to Josh today and he informed me that my replacement would in fact not be going out today. I asked him if he had any VT 200's in stock. Fully intending to pay the difference and hoping he was going to give me a break on the difference. Well, without missing a beat he had a VT 200 next day aired to my house NO CHARGE! I assume most people here know that there is a significant price difference between the X Cube 2 and the VT 200. Josh in my opinion has gone above and beyond what he had to do. He took a bad experience and turned it into a positive one. This is the essence of what customer service should be. Josh has indeed earned my future business and recommendation. If you have not tried them I hope this story will allow you to at least consider ecig.com. If you have used them before I sincerely hope you will continue to do so after reading this. I believe Josh and his company are a true asset to the vaping community. Once again Thank You Josh for making this situation right. You have definitely made a believer and an ecig.com customer out of me. Looking forward to enjoying my VT 200.

EdATX

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I'm thinking this mod will be my early Christmas gift to myself. That and a new TC tank.

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
So... Got bored. The X cube 2 looked OK, in a mass produced sort of way, but it just didn't look sinister or threatening enough for my liking, so, transformation time. I call it my Area 51 mod now.

camerazoom-20151107185907821-jpg.33284

camerazoom-20151107190014662-jpg.33285

Attachments

• CameraZOOM-20151107185907821.jpg
    CameraZOOM-20151107185907821.jpg
    399.9 KB · Views: 183
  • CameraZOOM-20151107190014662.jpg
    CameraZOOM-20151107190014662.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 186

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
So now I get to join the ranks of those with issues.

Simple version to begin... grabbed a cheap Nextbook ARES 8 Android tablet last night.
BT4, 5.0 Lollipop, BEC 2.5.?... and it doesn't see the xCube.

Tried various sequences of turning BT on for each but... no joy.

I've just finished rereading the entire thread (gack) and it's just Jack that's had the same issue, though with his top end phone vs. my low end tab (no phone).
Have you attempted to connect Bluetooth before and been successful or were you just vaping it straight out of the box?

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I've had it a few weeks now, used it with Ni, Ti in Ni mode, updated to 1.93... all's fine.
Had nothing to connect it to until last night.
(I don't have a smart phone nor any previous Android device and my iPod Touch is several years old... it won't run the two most recent iOS versions so it won't run the BEC App.)

Did you get your phone to connect yet?
I never got a replacement. Josh from ecig.com upgraded me to a Hcigar VT200 at no extra charge. I have heard on other boards that some Cubes had a faulty Bluetooth right out of the box like mine. That's why I asked if you've connected it before. That being said I think yours may have been faulty from the start. It's a shame because I really wanted to like it. Smok really needs to get their act together and do way more testing before they release a product.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Sorry, I forgot that was you dealing with Josh/Ecig.

Is the xCube at least SEEN by other computers/platforms?
That would tell my if its' BT is working.
Mine wasn't. Neither my Samsung laptop or my Microsoft Surface could see the Bluetooth.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Your device needs Bluetooth 4.0 to recognize the device with the app

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
But should it?
You would think so. My other devices pick up plenty of Bluetooth signals that are not mine
Yours appears to have been a faulty BT, and I've never had use of BT before so I wouldn't know what to expect. Will a laptop see it as some unknown device, at least proving the Cube's BT works?

Anyone?
You would think so. My other devices pick up plenty of Bluetooth signals that aren't mine.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
My only issue with the Cube is the lowest resistance limit....I wish it was .03 lower then it is to compete with the Snow Wolf....I am using a bypass for now but its not safe to do and not recommended! I used the Adjust Resistance option in the menu to raise the coils resistance to be able to fire the coils...Although the coils are only .002-.006 off from being able to fire, this is why I wish it would be set just a bit lower...
20151105_151733.jpg
20151106_182012.jpg
20151106_182109.jpg

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I thought the Cube's min was well below 0.1... like 0.06 or 0.08.

Either way... with all that squeezed in there almost brushing the top cap, are you looking for a 160w hard short? I'm sure your batteries aren't.
Its the way the camera is viewing them, they have a few mm of space between the cap and the coils and at 160w if one coil did touch they most likely would short art get destroyed If that touches doesnt just act as a negative, not hard short but I welcome your concern.
20151108_120145.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone here know of a way to get below 0.00050 TCR ?
i have the SS upgrades, but getting the SS hot legs on my 26 guage wire on dual coil mode, so i decided to twist the stainless steel, however i need to get down to around 0.00025 since its basicly quad coil in regards to that (the device litually goes back to wattage mode unless i adjust the initial ohm's, which then gives a very dodgy TC that fare from matches the tempreture selected)

I've actually tried to contact SMOK, via contact form, email and via facebook without any luck. Its a great device but i kinda feel like they do not value me as a customer.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Anyone here know of a way to get below 0.00050 TCR ?
i have the SS upgrades, but getting the SS hot legs on my 26 guage wire on dual coil mode, so i decided to twist the stainless steel, however i need to get down to around 0.00025 since its basicly quad coil in regards to that (the device litually goes back to wattage mode unless i adjust the initial ohm's, which then gives a very dodgy TC that fare from matches the tempreture selected)

I've actually tried to contact SMOK, via contact form, email and via facebook without any luck. Its a great device but i kinda feel like they do not value me as a customer.
Ive only used the Xcube for Power mode for a backup mod. If you want TC with no issues, buy a Snow Wolf V1.5 or DNA 200...Dont expect much out of the Xcube for its advertised offerings...TC/App Control
Its a Nice looking dual 18650'd Power Device with flashy LEDs and Memory settings and Ohm Adjusting if needed (for unsafe people like me)...Other then that its a mediocre attempt at a TC/App Device.

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Ive only used the Xcube for Power mode for a backup mod. If you want TC with no issues, buy a Snow Wolf V1.5

Does the Snow Wolf do stainless steel? What firmware version is on your X Cube? Mine does TC perfectly.

So if you use a twisted coil, do you have to change the settings? Like change the sc to dc? I thought it would just go by the ohms?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

it does that aswell, but the settings help it know by how much the ohm's change for each degree.
The problem is stainless steel has a very low ohm adjustment, which is harder to meassure, so changes are alot smaller. So in dual coil and quad coil (twisted dual coil is basicly quad coil) the changes would be even smaller, since you have multiple paths for the electrons to travell.

the snow wolf unfortunally does not support stainless steel TC, so its not for me, i want to alternate between watt mode and TC, so i can forget to drip while outside and not get "killed" in the process.

The DNA200 is a bit of a problem aswell. They have unfortunally limited the device to 130W when its run with dual 18650's, which is another problem, since i often vape around 150W for my fused clapton builds
i know there is triple 18650's but they are too big and clunky for me and the LIPO solution simply would not work, since i am already eating my 18650's multiple times a day and i dont want to be stuck at a usb stick all day in order to vape. 1600mah simply is too little to work with.
I get that they limited their board due to the voltage drop, but thats why we go lower in ohm's so we get the same vape no matter the battery level on regulated mods. imo its a bit of a booboo they did there.

my point of the post here in the first place was mainly if some people have made some firmwares that have unlocked the coefficiancy to go lower.

Does the Snow Wolf do stainless steel? What firmware version is on your X Cube? Mine does TC perfectly.
i am using 1.093 problem is i am using twisted dual coil stainless steel and fused clapton with stainless steel cores, the coefficiancy simply does not go low enough to handle it at this time.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
the snow wolf unfortunally does not support stainless steel TC, so its not for me, i want to alternate between watt mode and TC, so i can forget to drip while outside and not get "killed" in the process.

The DNA200 is a bit of a problem aswell. They have unfortunally limited the device to 130W when its run with dual 18650's, which is another problem, since i often vape around 150W for my fused clapton builds
i know there is triple 18650's but they are too big and clunky for me and the LIPO solution simply would not work, since i am already eating my 18650's multiple times a day and i dont want to be stuck at a usb stick all day in order to vape. 1600mah simply is too little to work with.
I get that they limited their board due to the voltage drop, but thats why we go lower in ohm's so we get the same vape no matter the battery level on regulated mods. imo its a bit of a booboo they did there.

my point of the post here in the first place was mainly if some people have made some firmwares that have unlocked the coefficiancy to go lower.
You can use SS on the Snow Wolf but its not going to be pampered towards SS, Use a different setting and lower your temp setting...but I understand if you dont want to spend the money for something that doesnt suit what you want to use. Have you looked into the Freakshow Tiny?

Stringplucker

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I got my X Cube II yesterday as an early Christmas gift from my kids. It's not a bad mod, but the BT software seems a bit wonky. I'm using it on a tablet, and sometimes it can connect, other times is a no-go. However, once it's dialed it, it works great with my Tobeco Super Tank Mini with ni200 coils. To me, it really makes the ST sing with flavor that is better than with the Sigelei 150TC, which is my only other TC mod.

It looks to me that they sorted out the battery door problem as mine isn't an issue. I just upgraded to the latest firmware, and am still playing with the settings to get the best flavor from it. I'm close, but I think a bit more playing around will get it there.

So far, I think I like this. I don't care for the fingerprints on it, but a textured skin is on order to remedy that.

Stringplucker

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
One thing I noticed...the ohms reading on the mod is different than on the BT. 0.16 on the mod is reading 0.44 on BT. I was hoping that reinstalling the firmware update would remedy that, but it didn't

Stringplucker

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Changed tank and put in a new coil. BT reads it as 0.59, and Cube reads it as 0.26. It's supposed to be a 0.20 coil for the Arctic. Coils are authentic, as is the tank. Coils are ni200.

ni200 coils are very tempreture specific.. you should wait until the coil is cool before putting it on the cube.
basicly take the tank off from the cube and press the fire button.
wait until its cool and put the tank on the cube all the way down. (tightly) and press the fire button and say yes to its a new coil.
it should state that its a 0.2Ohm coil roughly. (may be a bit above due to the contacts on the tank etc)

Stringplucker

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You missed the post where I said it's a new coil...right above yours. I understand and know what steps are needed prior to allowing the mod to set the ohm. My issue is that the mod reads it as one ohm, the BT as another, and the coil itself says it's something different, yet again. I trust room temp coils over what they are marked...but I don't trust the BT to register the ohm properly.

It makes me wonder if it's calculating heat properly, based on the wrong readings. Do I trust solely the mod for the ohm reading, or try to average between mod and BT, or what?

Other than that, it's a great vape, and I'm generally happy with the mod. I didn't pay for it, so I don't feel gypped in the least. It modulates power better than the Sig 150TC does, IMHO...for what it's worth.

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You missed the post where I said it's a new coil...right above yours. I understand and know what steps are needed prior to allowing the mod to set the ohm. My issue is that the mod reads it as one ohm, the BT as another, and the coil itself says it's something different, yet again. I trust room temp coils over what they are marked...but I don't trust the BT to register the ohm properly.

It makes me wonder if it's calculating heat properly, based on the wrong readings. Do I trust solely the mod for the ohm reading, or try to average between mod and BT, or what?

Other than that, it's a great vape, and I'm generally happy with the mod. I didn't pay for it, so I don't feel gypped in the least. It modulates power better than the Sig 150TC does, IMHO...for what it's worth.
Do you have another mod that reads ohms or a DMM/Volt Meter. I would try checking it in one of those options to set your mind at ease

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited:

Stringplucker

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yes, it close to what the mod reads...and close to what it reads on the Fluke. The BT reads it different than what the mod reads.

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yes, it close to what the mod reads...and close to what it reads on the Fluke. The BT reads it different than what the mod reads.
What's the fluke read? Calculating for resistance in leads? This is what the "set initial ohms" setting is for.

Stringplucker

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I think you're missing what I'm saying. The BT app reads it as a different value than the mod or the Fluke. The Fluke and the mod are close enough to say they read the same. My complaint is that the BT app is wrong, whereas the mod is correct.

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
New firmware for the X CUBE II !!

V1.098 AVOID!!!!! Just managed to get my X Cube back from the dead by reverting to 1.08, then back to V1.097. Very tense hour and a half.

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
New firmware for the X CUBE II !!

V1.098 AVOID!!!!! Just managed to get my X Cube back from the dead by reverting to 1.08, then back to V1.097. Very tense hour and a half.
Thanks for the info! I *may* try the update, but will definitely have the older versions on hand to revert if necessary!

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'll wait a week and try again. Give them a chance to fix it. They have gone back to the NuMicro Programming Tool, which is a PITA. I tried the new, (now old) tool, it downloaded the 0.98 and installed it, but same problem, mod would not turn on.

PM me if you need software.

VU Sponsors