Become a Patron!

Smok X-Priv

RyGuy3186

Member For 1 Year
Good morning fellow vapers. I could use some of your knowledge on a few questions I have. So i just bought the Smok X-Priv and want to know something:
1) the coil that I have is rated between 40 and 80 watts but is it ok to go to a lower wattage?
2) the lady from the shop I bought it from said I shouldn't use salt NICs in it because it is a sub ohm device and not a mouth to lung. Is this true?
Thank you for your input and help.

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Welcome to VU RyGuy. You can go as low as the device will vape and still offer satisfaction to you. There are no hard fast rules so long as the device is working for you and giving you what you want.

There has been a lot of discussion about salt nic in sub ohm devices and the general consensus is that salt nic in high power, sub ohm devices taste like crapola and burns the throat. In all fairness I haven't tried it but it seems a pretty common theme among those who have.

RyGuy3186

Member For 1 Year
Hey thanks for getting back to me. So if I went down to say 20 watts it won't screw up the coil any faster than being in the recommended wattage? And as far as the salt nics go I have some at 12mg that I really want to use but the lady said I shouldn't vape salt nics because it will get me sick in a sub ohm vape. She was quoting it at 35mg though so I'm not sure on any of this stuff.

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
I am by no means an expert on salt nics, do have some but have only used them in pod type devices. Give it a shot if you want to try it, if you get nic sick then lesson learned, if it works out then carry on.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Welcome @RyGuy3186 and I hope you enjoy your stay~!

I run all my factory coils at 20-25% below the minimum recommended wattage except for my TC tanks. Good Luck

RyGuy3186

Member For 1 Year
Thank you very much SteveS45. It is very informative for me being a new vaper. I take all the info I can from everyone.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Thank you very much SteveS45. It is very informative for me being a new vaper. I take all the info I can from everyone.

You are Very Welcome but I forgot to mention it is ONLY MY OPINION from my personal experience. YMMV~! :giggle:

HBVapeShop

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
you can realistically run your coil where you see fit. However that doesn't mean there won't be effects. Sometimes vaping too low doesn't allow the juice to completely turn to vapor which gunks on your coils making them taste bad and not last as long. Vaping too high can burn your cotton and taste bad. There are sweet spots for different flavors/brands you have to play with to find.

Do not sub-ohm high nicotine salt nics. Not only is it extremely unpleasant, there are reports (how accurate they are I can not confirm as I'm no scientist) that stated negative health effects. Better safe than sorry imo

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Sometimes vaping too low doesn't allow the juice to completely turn to vapor which gunks on your coils making them taste bad and not last as long.

Vaping at too low a wattage results in flooded coils and does not cause them to gunk up. Sweeteners and too high a wattage causes gunking because it caramelizes the sweeteners. Just my opinion but never had a gunked coil due to low wattage or temperature.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vaping high-powered Nic salts straight is a Monumentally bad idea in a sub-ohm tank.

Try taking a 5 ml tank, feeling it halfway with your your favorite juice, squeeze half a dropper full of flavorless 100mg/ml salts (smooth 50/50 pg-vg) from a dropper from a 60 ml bottle, and filling the tank the rest of the way with your favorite oil.

Then tumble the tank around in your hands while turning it to mix the salts in well with the rest of the juice. Give a Quick Squeeze of your fire button to get the excess juice off the coils and then hit it easy the first couple times.

After that hit it as usual and you will have what amounts to the flavor from your favorite juice with a boosted Nic level.

Make sure you fill it half way with regular oil first. You do not want the nicotine salts on your cotton by itself.

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
No I don't know what you mean. But from you saying Vape oil means you have very little experience and shouldn't be giving advice. Just my opinion.......

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It is true that I have much less experience the many others here including yourself, but I can only say that I've been doing what I said in my comment for a couple months and it is working well for me.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It is true that I have much less experience the many others here including yourself, but I can only say that I've been doing what I said in my comment for a couple months and it is working well for me.

Vaping OIL?

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sorry. People around here refer to it as vape oil, Vape juice, e-liquid or sometimes just oil or just juice.

I was only trying to tell this person what was working well for me and some things I learned along the way.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Sorry. People around here refer to it as vape oil

Don't know where you are from but around here people are not very fond of people saying they Vape Oil because new users will mistake that for actually being able to Vape Oils and wind up with sever lung issues.

Last edited:

maxmillion1982

Member For 4 Years
Couldn't you possibly vape honey or cherry oil? It would be kinda the same thing as blades. I know they got the vapers for thc. People i used to work with used them and loved them. I still prefer the blades and j's.

VU Sponsors