Become a Patron!

Smok

Polargirl

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Fat chance they'll ever recall anything but they sure need their own thread if not sub-forum here for faulty products.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Why do you have a defect or just posting to feed the trolls?

Polargirl

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Why do you have a defect or just posting to feed the trolls?
Projecting much on trolling?

I guess inadvertently being called out on a pen you claimed was for sale in the US for $24.99 is still bothering you. That was several days ago. Let it go already!

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Do you own a Smok? Don't be posting about stuff you have no real time, first hand experience with. I just ordered a shitload of coils from JAC Vapour here in the US and got them at half the price I would have paid from US Suppliers for Aspire and Smok coils. Don' give me any shit, buy a fucking MOD already then you can offer your opinion on them without spreading unsubstantiated rumors. And I do not care what some reviewers said!

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Do a search for a freaking for a coupon code and the price is $25

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Oh yeah, one more thing buy enough and you get FREE Shipping!

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
So far the only device that has ever given me a major scary problem was the Voopoo Drag.

It woke me up out of a deep sleep auto firing so I grabbed it and tried to unscrew the RTA off as quickly as possible.

It burnt my hand when i grabbed it and i cut my thumb in the process.
Luckily the mods 10 second cut off kicked in and it turned itself off before i was able to get the batteries out.

Now all it does when i put power to it is light up "off".
Since so many people bought the Voopoo Drag and are happy with it i don't think a recall is in order.

Also i have never heard of this happening to anyone else so it's not a pattern.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Bummer, the Voopoo Drag just moved down on my want list!

Polargirl

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So far the only device that has ever given me a major scary problem was the Voopoo Drag.

It woke me up out of a deep sleep auto firing so I grabbed it and tried to unscrew the RTA off as quickly as possible.

It burnt my hand when i grabbed it and i cut my thumb in the process.
Luckily the mods 10 second cut off kicked in and it turned itself off before i was able to get the batteries out.

Now all it does when i put power to it is light up "off".
Since so many people bought the Voopoo Drag and are happy with it i don't think a recall is in order.

Also i have never heard of this happening to anyone else so it's not a pattern.
I remember you posting about that. I never read about anyone else having that problem.

I was so sold on a Smoker GX2/4 until I read more. Haven't read about anything dangerous from Smok but lots of mods just dying and often soon after purchase. Someone made a warranty thread about Smok and no one was able to confirm successful warranty use.

Polargirl

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Do you own a Smok? Don't be posting about stuff you have no real time, first hand experience with. I just ordered a shitload of coils from JAC Vapour here in the US and got them at half the price I would have paid from US Suppliers for Aspire and Smok coils. Don' give me any shit, buy a fucking MOD already then you can offer your opinion on them without spreading unsubstantiated rumors. And I do not care what some reviewers said!

Do a search for a freaking for a coupon code and the price is $25

Oh yeah, one more thing buy enough and you get FREE Shipping!

Three consecutive posts without a reply from anyone? Yup, confirmed butthurt.

Is your new tactic derailing every thread I make in the future? Just want to know.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Cut the shit and start vaping already because nothing bothers me more than some lame ass knocking MOD's I own when they are probably still smoking..... If you were a JAC Vapour customer you would automatically get the $25 price on future purchases! But you are just a poser who doesn't vape and wants to sound like you know it all right?

Polargirl

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Cut the shit and start vaping already because nothing bothers me more than some lame ass knocking MOD's I own when they are probably still smoking..... If you were a JAC Vapour customer you would automatically get the $25 price on future purchases! But you are just a poser who doesn't vape and wants to sound like you know it all right?
Spamming now? Oh ok.

Poser? Um, vaping is not supposed to be a "trend". Lots of grumbling on this site about vape gear manufacturers abandoning smokers for trendies.

Good of you to feed it.

You really shouldn't attach your identity to the mods you own. Not good for your mental health.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Your opinions mean nothing because you do not even own a freaking Cig-A-Like.

Polargirl

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I cannot recommend Smok mods to anyone.
I was going to buy one then read up more and decided not to after seeing all the problems people are having with them and Smok not servicing them.

I so wanted a GX 2/4 at first.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
ECR has lots of tales of woe with Smok Mods.
Some of the new color ones seem to have kind of blown up in peoples pockets....

so their quality has NOT improved any.

Weren't you the one I saw posting about one of Smok's newer offerings catching on fire?

You answered before I could finish posting, lol

Even without the new dangerous issue - have never really recommended Smok, especially for newbs

While I've never owned or used one myself, I see way too many new vapers get over their heads using them

Plus, I think they are gimmicky and too fidgety

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I own 2 Smok mods. won one and bought the other one for like $10 on clearance.
Had them for over a year. And neither one has blown up. And as far as I know they still work.
of course I only tried them out for a day when I got them then threw them in my vapeapoclypse box.
:)
Darned things have screws holding the battery door on and Bluetooth?

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I have one of the first 200watt Smok mods that they put out called the Smok R200 and it has worked great from day one.

I won a Smok Skyhook while watching mod envy and the second time i filled up the tank all the juice leaked out on to the circuit board and on to the batteries.

It seems like Smok had decent QC at first but it has gone to shit now that they are more popular and have to put out more mods at a faster rate.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I have one of the first 200watt Smok mods that they put out called the Smok R200 and it has worked great from day one.

I won a Smok Skyhook while watching mod envy and the second time i filled up the tank all the juice leaked out on to the circuit board and on to the batteries.

It seems like Smok had decent QC at first but it has gone to shit now that they are more popular and have to put out more mods at a faster rate.

Heard nothing but cheap QC issues about the Skyhook - which is sad because the design had/has a lot of potential

Polargirl

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

That is the feedback based conclusion I get. Also, people are having a hard time getting them warranty serviced.

Polargirl

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Heard nothing but cheap QC issues about the Skyhook - which is sad because the design had/has a lot of potential
Smok in general had high potential. Their name could have become the Coke or Pepsi of vaping gear.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I've never owned one personally, but a veey good friend did.
We named him sparky.
Since sparky has come and gone out of my life, I will never recommend a smok product to any human.

Valbunny

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've never owned one personally, but a veey good friend did.
We named him sparky.
Since sparky has come and gone out of my life, I will never recommend a smok product to any human.

Omg what happened to sparky though??? It almost seems you are implying his SMOK mod did something to him??

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
SMOK was awarded the famous provincial trademark in Guangdong, and it outshined as an international premium brand.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Omg what happened to sparky though??? It almost seems you are implying his SMOK mod did something to him??
Sparky, sparked itself out of existence.
I was using it, when it had it's last spark. It grew wings and flew a few hundred yards away.

Thankfully sparky was the only casualty.

BAM crew

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I remember you posting about that. I never read about anyone else having that problem.

I was so sold on a Smoker GX2/4 until I read more. Haven't read about anything dangerous from Smok but lots of mods just dying and often soon after purchase. Someone made a warranty thread about Smok and no one was able to confirm successful warranty use.

I have an AL85 that I've used almost every day for 8 months. Works like a charm.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My alien's been going strong for going on 9mo. The tc doesn't work for shit but it hasn't blown up or melted down. I've reset the puff counter a few times checking different things so have lost count, this time around is at over 14,700 puffs, before that was over 68,000 puffs and i reset it a time or two before that.

No doubt some people have had problems with them. Not sure there's enough room to post all the woes from every manufacturer. Eleaf's isticks? Wismec? Sigelei and their whole fiasco not to mention some with autofiring issues. Wismec still hasn't fixed their 510 problems. I've seen people fighting with yihi to get their mods warrantied. Seen posts of people with broken hohm wrecker g2's and instead of fixing it the company sold them some ikea parts and told them how to solder it back. Vandy vape and their pressfit base issues and breaking pot metal posts/clamps? A quick look through the forums here show people with lostvape triades dead within days, hardly a cheap mod at $130-150. P4u's have entire threads on their ipv's asking for battery door issue fixes on reddit. Forget who posted it, someone's battery door snapped off on either a thinkvape or lost vape mod where the hinge is located. I've even seen people post issues they've had with their smoant battlestar, probably one of the most recommended and beloved affordable mods on these forums. Shit happens.

Not shitting on vaping in general, just being honest. Show me a vape company that hasn't had issues. It's trendy to jump on the 'oh well it's smok' bandwagon. Just like it was 'oh it's an istick, it'll blow up'. Not everyone's did. I had a different issue with my first istick, the fire button board popped the solder joints on the main pcb and stopped firing. Also surprising are how many people admit to juice spilling into their mod, then you can figure those who don't admit to it.

When something is sold as a 'kit' it's likely to appeal to more noobs and first timers who aren't paying as much attention. Notice it's usually not the noobs who rush out and buy an independent higher end box with a separately sourced rta/rda and make sure to wipe up any spills or more capable of preventing them in the first place.

A lot of people bought aliens, pretty sure they were the only ones to offer that similar shape to the ipv mods for awhile. Until wismec came out with the predator and sig came out with the kaos and others followed suit with a similar rounded 2x18650 body. With higher volume of sales/ownership more problems are likely to happen. Oh no, toyota had to recall 500,000 cars. Only 2 mercedes electric cars were recalled. Well fuck they only made 10 so yea. A little exaggerated but the idea is the same. A higher failure or problem volume doesn't always translate to a higher percentage of failure rate if the total sold was also higher.

As to the warranty, yea it's a pia. Smok's warranty in the u.s. is handled through madvapes and no disputing it takes months to get it taken care of. Some people have successfully gotten their mods back. Personally for the price I paid I'd buy something else. At least smok offers warranties, one of the mods here recently posted about Sigelei not even honoring their warranty if you buy their mods through chinese vendors like ft, gb or mvs.

Doesn't mean I'm a smok fanboi, just realistic. If smok is expected to recall their shitty mods, wismec better beat them to it. They'd probably go bankrupt just for their 510's alone. Some mods like the noisy cricket has a popular following, somehow they still get praised in spite of the 'upgrades' parts list of things to buy, change and swap to make it better. Maybe it's just me, but if you have to swap this that and the other to make something 'great' the unspoken bit is 'this is junk'. If it wasn't it wouldn't need so much altering. There's an actual kit of replacement gizmos for it to improve safety and performance. But it's not as 'hip' to say 'dude, noisy cricket suxxx'.

pescadore

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have owned 3 Smok/Koopor products and each of them crapped out a lot earlier than they should have. I think I got 6 months out of the Koopor Plus but that was the longest lasting one.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My alien's been going strong for going on 9mo. The tc doesn't work for shit but it hasn't blown up or melted down. I've reset the puff counter a few times checking different things so have lost count, this time around is at over 14,700 puffs, before that was over 68,000 puffs and i reset it a time or two before that.

No doubt some people have had problems with them. Not sure there's enough room to post all the woes from every manufacturer. Eleaf's isticks? Wismec? Sigelei and their whole fiasco not to mention some with autofiring issues. Wismec still hasn't fixed their 510 problems. I've seen people fighting with yihi to get their mods warrantied. Seen posts of people with broken hohm wrecker g2's and instead of fixing it the company sold them some ikea parts and told them how to solder it back. Vandy vape and their pressfit base issues and breaking pot metal posts/clamps? A quick look through the forums here show people with lostvape triades dead within days, hardly a cheap mod at $130-150. P4u's have entire threads on their ipv's asking for battery door issue fixes on reddit. Forget who posted it, someone's battery door snapped off on either a thinkvape or lost vape mod where the hinge is located. I've even seen people post issues they've had with their smoant battlestar, probably one of the most recommended and beloved affordable mods on these forums. Shit happens.

Not shitting on vaping in general, just being honest. Show me a vape company that hasn't had issues. It's trendy to jump on the 'oh well it's smok' bandwagon. Just like it was 'oh it's an istick, it'll blow up'. Not everyone's did. I had a different issue with my first istick, the fire button board popped the solder joints on the main pcb and stopped firing. Also surprising are how many people admit to juice spilling into their mod, then you can figure those who don't admit to it.

When something is sold as a 'kit' it's likely to appeal to more noobs and first timers who aren't paying as much attention. Notice it's usually not the noobs who rush out and buy an independent higher end box with a separately sourced rta/rda and make sure to wipe up any spills or more capable of preventing them in the first place.

A lot of people bought aliens, pretty sure they were the only ones to offer that similar shape to the ipv mods for awhile. Until wismec came out with the predator and sig came out with the kaos and others followed suit with a similar rounded 2x18650 body. With higher volume of sales/ownership more problems are likely to happen. Oh no, toyota had to recall 500,000 cars. Only 2 mercedes electric cars were recalled. Well fuck they only made 10 so yea. A little exaggerated but the idea is the same. A higher failure or problem volume doesn't always translate to a higher percentage of failure rate if the total sold was also higher.

As to the warranty, yea it's a pia. Smok's warranty in the u.s. is handled through madvapes and no disputing it takes months to get it taken care of. Some people have successfully gotten their mods back. Personally for the price I paid I'd buy something else. At least smok offers warranties, one of the mods here recently posted about Sigelei not even honoring their warranty if you buy their mods through chinese vendors like ft, gb or mvs.

Doesn't mean I'm a smok fanboi, just realistic. If smok is expected to recall their shitty mods, wismec better beat them to it. They'd probably go bankrupt just for their 510's alone. Some mods like the noisy cricket has a popular following, somehow they still get praised in spite of the 'upgrades' parts list of things to buy, change and swap to make it better. Maybe it's just me, but if you have to swap this that and the other to make something 'great' the unspoken bit is 'this is junk'. If it wasn't it wouldn't need so much altering. There's an actual kit of replacement gizmos for it to improve safety and performance. But it's not as 'hip' to say 'dude, noisy cricket suxxx'.

Well said.

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
just go on their facebook page and read the comments under any picture they post of one of their shit mods. Its all complaints from people who are having issues and getting no response. I think everyone should avoid them like the plague.

Polargirl

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Yes, of course every mod maker has had a defective product reach the consumer market. Even Mercedes Benz and BMW have had defective cars some with deadly consequences sold to consumers at some time in their history. BMW just recalled one million cars a day or two age due to fire concerns.

Thank you for stating the obvious. But comparing a Smoant Battlestar to a Smok is just as much of a false equivalency as comparing a Toyota Corolla to a Pinto as equally safe and non-defective.

Sure, there are worse mod makers than Smok with Wismec probably a candidate and they might very well get their own thread. Ijoy had more than their 15 minutes of infamy especially around the time they made the Asolo.

The reason for a Smok thread is after having a better earlier history, their QC has gone down the tubes and their are the mods people are currently complaining the most about.

It may not be long before DNA mods are complained about. Like BMW, these things do happen but not in the present.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Evolv did have a problem with the DNA 40... I'll admit, I'm a huge evolv fanboi.
The dna40 was a disaster at it's release and for the following 6months.
But, they replaced every board that was sent to them and the mod companies (at lease the USA ones) had a 1 week turnaround. It was a pain in the ass for those of us that had them, but they did the honorable thing and replaced the product, no questions asked. When I had to replace my mods (a few) it was done at their expense for mailing and as quickly as possible

BAM crew

Polargirl

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Evolv did have a problem with the DNA 40... I'll admit, I'm a huge evolv fanboi.
But, they replaced every board that was sent to them and the mod companies (at lease the USA ones) had a 1 week turnaround. It was a pain in the ass for those of us that had them, but they did the honorable thing and replaced the product, no questions asked. When I had to replace my mods (a few) it was done at their expense for mailing and as quickly as possible

BAM crew

BAM crew
Like BMW, at least Evolv quickly warranties problems. Some companies wisely value their reputation above all else when they have problems. Others? Not so much.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
What mod do you use,? out of curiosity.

BAM crew

Polargirl

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What mod do you use,? out of curiosity.

BAM crew
Right now? None. I am getting a Battlestar hopefully by Black Friday. I guess I now have a Tigertek Springer S RTA Rebuildable Tank Atomizer - Rainbow, Stainelss Steel that I won on the way which costs exactly the same price as a new Battlestar that I could trade but probably will keep the atty even if I currently have no idea how to build coils.

I was initially going to get a Smok GX 2/4 and would have been suckered into buying one had lots of people not reported problems.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I hate that some have had issues with Smok, but I have three Aliens, a GX 2/4, and until I recently sold it an X Cube2, and all are performing very well with no issues. Hopefully I never will, but I try not to judge by anything but personal experience with what I have.

Polargirl

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I hate that some have had issues with Smok, but I have three Aliens, a GX 2/4, and until I recently sold it an X Cube2, and all are performing very well with no issues. Hopefully I never will, but I try not to judge by anything but personal experience with what I have.
Without empirical data, anecdotal from others is the most helpful thing before buying. After buying, going by personal experience is all that is left.

Forums like this are even better than Reddit at sharing how common problems are. They are nearly the sole deterrent to making bad products.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Interesting to note that NO reliability data is available on Chinese mods.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Without empirical data, anecdotal from others is the most helpful thing before buying. After buying, going by personal experience is all that is left.

Forums like this are even better than Reddit at sharing how common problems are. They are nearly the sole deterrent to making bad products.

And if everyone who buys says it's shit, then it's shit, but if I believed every word of a few other's opinions I would have cheated myself out of a very gratifying vaping experience. I own quite a few devices that have been brandished as "shit" by users who had no clue and misused said device, got the "one bad apple," or fail to disclose their own user error, or damaged the device..."This company is a piece of crap because their device that I dropped in the toilet/down a flight of stairs isn't working anymore/as it should." And this does happen. Some will dis an entire company because the one device they used simply didn't suit their needs.
I pay no mind to most online reviews where these products are concerned. I come here. There are real people here who actually have used the devices in question and aren't flunkies paid to leave reviews on certain websites. Once I'm here, I pick and choose who I'm going to listen to. People like @f1r3b1rd, @5150sick, @KingPin!, and others are trusted members in good standing that will give honest opinions and reviews that I can trust, contrary to Joe Blow who just signed on to leave a bad review of a company then never come back. And I've purchased several devices from trustworthy members here who actually know shit from shinola. I have yet to be disappointed.
Long story short - look before you leap, but over scrutinizing anything will only cheat you.

VU Sponsors