Smoker Recieps

mysticman

VU Donator
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Hey All,

I've been an avid chef for as long as I can remember. I take care of my 92 year old father who lives with me. Most days he can be found in front of the tv watching, among other things, the QVC channel. He saw an electric smoker being advertised one day and they were cooking ribs, turkey, pork butts, fish and also vegetables and mac and cheese. He asked me if I know how to smoke ribs. In all the years I've been cooking, I've never owned a smoker so I said no, but it looks easy. Five days later there was a smoker at my door and my dad said "make me some ribs".

2 years later and I am addicted to smoked foods. My favorites are ribs, pork and beef, brisket and four cheese smoked mac n cheese.

Not sure how many of you are into Barbeque as much as I am but for those that are, I thought it would be fun to share your favorite barbecue recipes with everyone.

Personally, I think the most important part of smoking meats is the rub or seasoning. So to start it off, here's my recipe for the best rub you'll ever use on smoked pork.

1 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup paprika
2 TBS black pepper
1 1/2 tsp chilli powder
1 1/2 TBS garlic powder
1 1/2 TBS onion powder
1 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
2 TBS kosher salt

Mix ingredient thoroughly...makes 2 cups of rub, enough for 4-6 slabs of ribs.
For ribs, wash them thoroughly in cold water, pat dry and remove the membrane.
Apply a light coat of yellow mustard to the ribs on both sides and then sprinkle the rub on heavy enough so you can barely see the meat. After about 15 minutes they'll start to look wet. Let them sit for about an hour and then there ready for the smoker.

I usually cook ribs using the 2-2-1 method. 2 hours in the smoker uncovered, 2 hours wrapped in aluminum foil and then 1 hour uncovered again.

Cut em up and serve with sauce on the side....then sit back and enjoy the compliments. I once turned a vegan into a meat eater with these ribs.

Have fun...I could use some new recipes.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Dang you Sir, Dang you to heck!

With spring just around the corner (Hopefully) with your post it brings to mind that I very badly need a new smoker for my B-day.

Any recommendations?

mysticman

VU Donator
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Dang you Sir, Dang you to heck!

With spring just around the corner (Hopefully) with your post it brings to mind that I very badly need a new smoker for my B-day.

Any recommendations?
This is the one I use...https://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-20070311-40-Inch-Controller-Electric/dp/B0048HU34Y

Smoker.jpg

There are bigger and better ones out there but for me, this was a good size and easy to use. It also has a good seal on it and I can smoke my meat all winter long with no problem.

This is the one I almost bought until my wife found out about my fool proof plan.

Smoker 2.jpg

kh1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sounds delicious!

Raymcconn

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I will be giving that a try. I bought a smoker when I moved into this house ( kid free ). I now am raising two toddlers ( grandkids, minus mom ). It is hard to keep them occupied while smoking or grilling for that matter. Other wise I would try tomorrow, who needs spring to cook outside. Just time. Thanks again.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I would add some chinese white pepper to the black, heat kick up, or a triple white black and pink (ONLY if not allergic to cashews).
If I wanted to sweeten it I would do a mop of pineapple, honey crisp cider and coffee at the end.
Not smoked but did a pineapple and coffee gravy with carmalized onions and mushrooms that worked stupid well with the london broil I did.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I like to include some ground coffee into my dry rub.

Gives it an extra smoky flavor.

VU Sponsors