Become a Patron!

SMOKIE'S DAILY PIC OF THE DAY

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
No Pics of the Day since Thursday? Is Smokie ok?

Andria

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Funny-Travel-Memes-25.jpg

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I was just wondering if we were playing "guess the RPM of Andria's new hard drive." :giggle:

Andria

Burnie

VU Donator
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Like a memory stick, there are no moving parts to an SSD. Rather, information is stored in microchips. Conversely, a hard disk drive uses a mechanical arm with a read/write head to move around and read information from the right location on a storage platter. This difference is what makes SSD so much faster.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Like a memory stick, there are no moving parts to an SSD. Rather, information is stored in microchips. Conversely, a hard disk drive uses a mechanical arm with a read/write head to move around and read information from the right location on a storage platter. This difference is what makes SSD so much faster.

What's an SSD, and how does it work with a PC? I've seen them advertised, but for a terabyte? No way in hell I'd have gotten this "SSD" for $54.99 -- the price i paid for the replacement internal HD I just got when my HD crashed a couple weeks ago.

Andria

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
What's an SSD, and how does it work with a PC?
Just like a regular hard drive, but much faster.

I've seen them advertised, but for a terabyte? No way in hell I'd have gotten this "SSD" for $54.99 -- the price i paid for the replacement internal HD I just got when my HD crashed a couple weeks ago.
Yep, a decent 1TB SSD is around $200 -- and worth every penny. :)

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Just like a regular hard drive, but much faster.

Yep, a decent 1TB SSD is around $200 -- and worth every penny. :)

Not even close -- I only spent $550 for the entire laptop, 3 yrs ago, and this is the 2nd hard drive -- no way in hell would I spend $200 on a replacement hard drive!

It's a lot faster with the 7200RPM drive. The old one was 5400RPM.

Andria

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
SSS = Solid State Drive.
There's more than 1 type.
MLC = Muti Level Cell and is what is affordable for mainstream PC's. Since HDD (hard drive) is the single biggest bottleneck for the pc being able to compute, SSD is the single best upgrade. Better than a bigger processor, better than more RAM. Makes everything faster/snappier. Some use a SSD for the operating system and used the most programs, plus a HDD (even if it's external) for storage of photos, music, pictures, and smaller programs that start and run fast anyways without the added speed of SSD.

I have a Samsung M.2 type in the desktop I'm typing this with. Same MLC technology, just connects to a faster port. It boots from push of the button to usable desktop in about 12 seconds. When using it responds basically instantaniously.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well, I'm a lot happier with mine since I got the new drive, and I wasn't UNhappy with it before. I can't think that a SSd hard drive would really make that big a difference to an i5, dual core, virtual quad core -- I don't really notice much of a "bottleneck" except the speed of certain websites I visit daily which shall remain unmentioned but which really need faster servers! ;)

And the other one I visit daily which is actually a "cloud app" which damn sure needs a faster cloud! But they're in Denmark, so there really ain't much I can do about that.

Putting a super duper humdinger HD in this i5 would be like putting a Maserati engine in a volkswagen.

Andria

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
No matter how good the processor is, it is only as fast as the systems weakest link. It's like sucking through a straw instead of just guzzling it down. No matter how hard you suck, you can only get so much at once. Going to a bigger straw still isn't the same. If a pc has a HDD instead of an SSD, then that's the weakest link and is the bottleneck of the cpu being able to process data. Not saying a 7200rpm spinner isn't good, but SSD is better, always will be. Some I5's have hyperthreading, which is kinda like more cores. It's like 2 more lanes where, 2 extra threads, of data they are called, can be processed. It's like a boost from dual core, not quite 4 core.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
No matter how good the processor is, it is only as fast as the systems weakest link. It's like sucking through a straw instead of just guzzling it down. No matter how hard you suck, you can only get so much at once. Going to a bigger straw still isn't the same. If a pc has a HDD instead of an SSD, then that's the weakest link and is the bottleneck of the cpu being able to process data. Not saying a 7200rpm spinner isn't good, but SSD is better, always will be. Some I5's have hyperthreading, which is kinda like more cores. It's like 2 more lanes where, 2 extra threads, of data they are called, can be processed. It's like a boost from dual core, not quite 4 core.

Not sure if mine has that or not; the system was originally made in 2014, I bought it "refurbished" in 2015. I do notice that it seems sprightlier with the new HD, but it was already fast, now it's faster. Truly, the servers I have to deal with online are my only slowdown (I have 100mbit internet), OR, if I have to access something on my external HD, which is 7200RPM also, and has a USB 3 connection, but it's still way slower than even the 5400RPM internal I had before the crash. Mainly I use it to store my music and some old stuff I've been carting around from 3 or 4 PCs ago. :giggle:

I already know that with my next system, I want an i7, so a SSD would make more sense with that. I might not be able to get a terabyte HD, but maybe a 500gb like I had originally in this one.

Andria

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think you're on the wrong thread...Cheers!

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not sure if mine has that or not; the system was originally made in 2014, I bought it "refurbished" in 2015. I do notice that it seems sprightlier with the new HD, but it was already fast, now it's faster. Truly, the servers I have to deal with online are my only slowdown (I have 100mbit internet), OR, if I have to access something on my external HD, which is 7200RPM also, and has a USB 3 connection, but it's still way slower than even the 5400RPM internal I had before the crash. Mainly I use it to store my music and some old stuff I've been carting around from 3 or 4 PCs ago. :giggle:

I already know that with my next system, I want an i7, so a SSD would make more sense with that. I might not be able to get a terabyte HD, but maybe a 500gb like I had originally in this one.

Andria
Um...You do realize you're in the wrong thread right?

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Just to be clear you are agreeing with me right?

Absolutely. Dicks themselves are usually quite nice... but some of the dicks they're attached to.... not so much. :D

I mostly like men a lot, they're usually pretty much free of the stupid mind games that so many women play, and they're honest about what they want -- pussy, usually. But when they let their desire for pussy make them so small and small-minded that they can't see or appreciate the women attached to the objects of their desire... Or when they have this stupid idea that just because a person owns 2 tits and a snatch, that means they don't have a functional brain... not likable AT ALL.

Andria

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer