Become a Patron!

SMY MINI 90W Box Mod !!!

batts

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
have you guys seen this thing? 18650 with usb port and 90w in a mini! Anyone ever have any problems with any of SMY's stuff. i have seen some pretty good reviews on the god box and what not..anyone pre order this 90w yet?? anything i should know before i do?!!

moecat

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Can't see the picture - got a link please?

moecat

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Never mind ... http://www.simeiyue.cn/smy90-mechanical-vaporizer-box-mod.html

smy90-4.jpg

smy90-2.jpg

moecat

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Specs ... note: no dimension measurements provided:
upload_2015-1-9_13-25-18.png

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Nope, full size with 2 18650's.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Looks like another brass 510 that doesn't properly support atty's. This is really getting old. It's not that hard. The physical and electrical connection between a mod and an atty is kinda important. Having to determine whether a new box mod can be fitted with a fdv 510 because the stock connector is fucking junk is not something we should be still having to deal with. Fucking hacks.
Other than that, I really like the looks and the power capabilities.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I don't mind an adjustable 510 connector. But! I think we have advanced enough that these shitty-ish connectors are just unacceptable for new mods.

Even a peon like me can buy a FatDaddy for a few bucks. WTF?! Why use shit technology?

Nikkita6

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Can a representative from SMY please explain their obsession with placing ugly and tacky animal logos on their devices?

And 90W on a single 18650?? There are a lot of vapers who have a problem with 50-60W on a single 650, so I cannot imagine that there will be a big reception for this .. but the consumers of this market can be unpredictable, so ya never know.

I actually have the Kamry 20W in transit to me now, and I think its a nice looking box. I have never used a Kamry product so this will be a first, and I hope the chip is decent.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I don't mind an adjustable 510 connector. But! I think we have advanced enough that these shitty-ish connectors are just unacceptable for new mods.

Even a peon like me can buy a FatDaddy for a few bucks. WTF?! Why use shit technology?
Amen sir. Amen.

rdsok

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've had a ton of mod's that have brass 510's ... I messed one up but it wasn't the connectors fault that I didn't screw an atty into it without cross threading... it was my own fault.

I will grant you that a stainless 510 is more durable and less prone to being messed up... but it's time to recognize that a connection may be brass ( or whatever softer material ) and take the proper care in order to not damage it. We should take responsibility for our own actions when problems like cross threading do happen.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
OR, manufactures could just put in better 510 connectors. It isn't a big expense to begin with. Matter of fact, it adds to the quality and value of a mod.

rdsok

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
OR, manufactures could just put in better 510 connectors. It isn't a big expense to begin with. Matter of fact, it adds to the quality and value of a mod.

I can't disagree with that at all... I was just saying that people also need to take responsibility for their own actions... it's not always the fault of the part if we are the ones messing them up.

Joshua Iles

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Can a representative from SMY please explain their obsession with placing ugly and tacky animal logos on their devices?

And 90W on a single 18650?? There are a lot of vapers who have a problem with 50-60W on a single 650, so I cannot imagine that there will be a big reception for this .. but the consumers of this market can be unpredictable, so ya never know.

I actually have the Kamry 20W in transit to me now, and I think its a nice looking box. I have never used a Kamry product so this will be a first, and I hope the chip is decent.
http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10009255/1819102-bacchus-3800mah-vv-rechargeable-e-cig-battery
This smy mod I think actually LOOKS good with no stupid picture of a bear or something. Still wouldn't buy it, only vv & not so sure about their quality. Been on sale for awhile, but just now realized it was an smy. They have a black one too. Proves they can make a pretty good looking mod, without putting stupid pictures of Bruce Lee on the side. No offense to the late Mr Lee, but I don't wanna vape his face. Now that u brought the picture thing up, why do so many companies have to put their logo HUGE on the side? The arrow mod is another I saw with a company logo that took up the whole side. I guess that's why they make wraps.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I can't disagree with that at all... I was just saying that people also need to take responsibility for their own actions... it's not always the fault of the part if we are the ones messing them up.
I refuse to take responsibility for the softness of brass. That's ridiculous. I also refuse to take responsibility for connectors with fixed pins and connectors that don't provide proper lateral support for the attached atomizer. I have chosen to take responsibility for my purchases and don't buy mods that have junk connectors unless the mod can be fitted with a proper connector. Saying it's the users fault that a part fails when the part wasn't properly designed to handle all aspects of the task it performs is not an opinion I share with you. Individuals that build mods figured it out awhile ago. It's time companies that make mods figure it out.

CloudPusher

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Unregulated mech box mods with 2 or more batts are becoming the new thing with cloud chasers. Quad batt boxs and big mah lipos. Regulated mods will always have a place for casual vapors. But the new vogue is lots of batt power and no wires.

CloudPusher

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
LiPo will become the new industry standard for regulated mods(smaller and more capacity). Unregulated box mods are becoming bigger and wireless for the enthusiast cloud chases. These single 18650 high power mods are a joke and wont last long on the market IMHO.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
LiPo will become the new industry standard for regulated mods(smaller and more capacity). Unregulated box mods are becoming bigger and wireless for the enthusiast cloud chases. These single 18650 high power mods are a joke and wont last long on the market IMHO.

Think you are wrong about Lipos. Betting we will see more innovation in batteries, not battery packs.

CloudPusher

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Think you are wrong about Lipos. Betting we will see more innovation in batteries, not battery packs.

We all would like to see higher capacity 18650's with more amps. But IMR hybrids can only go so far. I even would be willing to switch to 26650's if there was sufficient improvement in limited battery sag. But with single battery setups you will always have larger Volt battery sag as opposed to multiple battery pack setups. Now sure you can get more mah for longer life on basic setups. All i have seen so far are empty promises and out right spec lies. btw.. multiple 18650 box mods are pretty much the same concept as LiPo battery packs. LiPo's are continuously improving with a market in RC and airsoft, and now power tools. while you only see flashlight and APV moders using 18650 IMR's(with the exception of a few laptop makers). Btw, multiple 18650's are battery packs. It is what the wireless power tool industry uses besides a few growing LiPo setups popping up now.

Chip innovations can only carry a single battery so far.... unless it is a LiPo.

CloudPusher

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
A single LiPo can be the same size as an 18650 and carry far better specs than an IMR/hybrid. And they can charge faster more safely than an 18650. This is why smartphones are using them now. Compact and powerful. We have not seen the full spectrum of innovation through LiPo's just yet.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
A lipo pack designed for a mod can only be used for that mod. Most don't want that. And you said multiple, individual cells are basically the same as a lipo pack so why not just use multiple, individual cells instead of using a proprietary pack? I don't believe your argument holds up. What's desirable and works well with cordless tools and r/c devices isn't necessarily what is desirable for vapers. Apples and oranges.

CloudPusher

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
LiPo's can be just as interchangeable as 18650's with some simple design collaboration. But you are correct, to much is on the market made for 18650's. Sorry for going off subject a bit.

rdsok

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
LiPo's can charge faster and discharge at a much higher C rating... but they aren't safer during their charging or discharging... they are a more volatile battery chemistry. They also exhibit voltage drop when they are just setting on the shelf faster than the IMR and similar types. If you use and need to recharge often... the voltage drop will probably be a non-issue... but the safety issues they bring do need to be kept in mind or accidents will happen more often than with the less volatile lithium types of batteries.

VaporJoe

_ the end has arrived _
Staff member
VU Owner
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
90 watts is more then post will need and I think it looks nice. I may get one. I dont NEED it.. but.. when did that ever matter.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Do we have a rough idea of price point with these at all?
Not sure SMY could justify over 50 bucks for them when they are producing 75 dollar 200watt monsters.

MrBowman

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Do we have a rough idea of price point with these at all?
Not sure SMY could justify over 50 bucks for them when they are producing 75 dollar 200watt monsters.

Supply and demand. There is more of a market for small, ergonomic, and stylish mods than massive/watt cloud chucking boxes. If this mod is well put together and holds true to the aforementioned specs then they could easily push it for $100. I'd buy it.

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

THIS!!!!!! omg those logo's are absurd.. and part of the reason I never even bother looking at their devices.. and yea my IPV2S depletes so quick on 1 battery over 50watts.. I can't imagine 90watts .. thats a dumb design on their part

I've been looking at the kamry since before they were released - I love their products and I'm surprised I haven't heard more hype around their 20w box mod.. the mod itself looks pretty bad ass (love the bronze colored one) - can't wait to hear your review as always Nikki :)

trlrtrash13

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
90 watts is a lot of power for a single 18650 if you intend to use it that way. If most of your vaping will be 30 watts or under it should work out for you okay, but if you intend to vape .5 ohms at 50 watts or above be prepared to change the battery every hour or so.

anendeloflorien

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
90 watts is a lot of power for a single 18650 if you intend to use it that way. If most of your vaping will be 30 watts or under it should work out for you okay, but if you intend to vape .5 ohms at 50 watts or above be prepared to change the battery every hour or so.

Yeah my single 18650 Smok BT50 box will run a .4 ohm coil for about 5-10 hits before it steps down due to low battery voltage. I can only imagine how quickly it would drop trying to push 90W through it. Battery capacity is still the same.

trlrtrash13

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Yeah my single 18650 Smok BT50 box will run a .4 ohm coil for about 5-10 hits before it steps down due to low battery voltage. I can only imagine how quickly it would drop trying to push 90W through it. Battery capacity is still the same.
Wow. That is fast. I have a DNA30 and an IPV mini 30 watt and those are the only single battery 18650 VW mods I have, but I know at .5 and 30 watts I only get about 2 hours so I can see that happening.

Nikkita6

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
THIS!!!!!! omg those logo's are absurd.. and part of the reason I never even bother looking at their devices.. and yea my IPV2S depletes so quick on 1 battery over 50watts.. I can't imagine 90watts .. thats a dumb design on their part

I've been looking at the kamry since before they were released - I love their products and I'm surprised I haven't heard more hype around their 20w box mod.. the mod itself looks pretty bad ass (love the bronze colored one) - can't wait to hear your review as always Nikki :)

Yeah the bronze/copper is the one I wanted ... received Silver :( boring :p

VU Sponsors