Become a Patron!

So what the heck causes this?

biguglyhairyscary

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've seen discoloration in cotton, but this black gunk is excessive and rather thick. What is causing this? I just started to get a little funk flavor after about two weeks with this coil.
atom.jpg

Raymcconn

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
My guess is the juice possibly. I had a coil gunk up after using some dark juice. I try and stay away from them as much as possible now, I really like one flavor so I just live with my coils getting this way after a week or two and clean and rewick.

biguglyhairyscary

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sweeteners and chocolates will gunk up big time especially coco. Some bakery flavors have a lot of hidden sweeteners like yellow cake and a few others.
I had rootbeer float / vanilla custard 50/50 mix for the bulk of this coil, so you may have a point there.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I had rootbeer float / vanilla custard 50/50 mix for the bulk of this coil, so you may have a point there.
certain sweeteners gunk coils really bad and they typically do not last long i have RDA's that will get toasted in a day of certain sweet juices this can get expensive if you are buying prebuilt coils

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Everything in the juice I like, why I only vape in my RDA now. Just never knew what specifically was causing this. Now I know - Everything. LOL
Exactly...I have a Chocolate Marshmallow Fudge and a PB & Chocolate Milkshake plus a few others that are RDA only.

dropstep

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thats what my coil looks like about every 2-3 weeks. When it starts tasting bad i just toss it and throw a new one in. If im vaping a really sweet juice it seems to happen faster

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Always my experience, too. Some flavors are just heavy and sweet, some really dark. I don't use any sweeteners, they're just sweet. One, I have to re-wick, at least, weekly. Another I have, can go quite a while.

Raymcconn

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Exactly...I have a Chocolate Marshmallow Fudge and a PB & Chocolate Milkshake plus a few others that are RDA only.
I was staying away from most of these juices except my Smores. Being able to vape these type of juices again was another benefit of learning to build. Of course learning to build just put me down that rabbit hole a bit deeper. :)

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Creamy flavors can do it and from the several 'cola' flavors I've tried those will gunk up for sure. Some of the worst offenders, vanilla cola, cherry cola, rootbeer. They're loaded with sugary stuff that cooks and gunks up. It looks like the rim of that coil head was probably getting hot and as it did the sweet juice caramelized on there.

Personally I'm surprised you got 2 weeks out of it with what sounds like a super sweet juice. Cola flavors I've used junk up a coil in a couple days and need a wash/rewick with funky flavors. Not using coil heads though, diy coils with cotton wicking so a rinse/dry burn and rewick isn't a huge deal or any great cost.

Raymcconn

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Personally I'm surprised you got 2 weeks out of it
I thought the same thing. When using pre made coils I was happy to get 4 days at week I thought I won the lottery with those types of juices.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
im shocked with everyone saying rootbeer.
I use DIYflavorshack rootbeer at about 12% and it does not gunk up like that at all it runs as clean as my fruit mixes that have FA apple and FA peach.
what rootbeer flavors are you guys using that gunk up

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Although flavours play a big part its also how high wattage you heat as well ...after 2 weeks there's a lot of crusting going onto the coil this bleeds into the cotton eventually which holds it as you can see in your pic ...burn at a higher wattage that crusting happens quicker depending on how many coils your running ...

Also some coils types are juice traps (clapton and twisted etc) they carry on bubbling after you've let go of the power button, although they give much nicer flavour tend to crust up quicker than simple wraps

And is why you eventually get that god awful taste its normal

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Sorry phone had a hissy ....

You could also have a wicking issue or a hot spot on a coil that causes you to dry burn your cotton ...that will cause discolouration as well you know it when you do again bloody awful taste

I tend to pin some holes in any pre made coils as they always pack the cotton is so tight helps wick a little quicker when chain vaping

Last edited:

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Your natural tobacco's will even do this in a day, two weeks is about right using sweet juices try to keep the power up as much as you can this will help.

VU Sponsors