So You Wanna Be a Moderator???

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
So, when do I get to see daylight? Your on a Submarine. Case closed.
cxB9xRq.jpg

I own a set of these

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
agreed, tho he is somewhat of a stuck up sticky wicket now. never talks to me anymore. :(
He hired me to. Damn Brits!!! (waits for referendum commentary)

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
To be a mod, I would have to be liked by the cool kids.....don't see that happening any time soon.....hehehehehe. I think its my head tattoos, the ink has seeped into my brain. :D

Besides Celtic, we all like you.
But sometimes it's a huge pain in the ass chasing you around the forum when you have your daily psychotic break(s).
Begging you to take your meds is time consuming PLUS it often causes me to forget to take my meds.:)

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
"So is quitting cigarettes as difficult as they say?" - "After purchasing the additional tools and torches.....an e-juice selection that rivals the most well stocked bars, enough stainless to melt down and make a small appliance.....and hundreds of hours of Youtube......oh, and sustaining the cotton and paper towel industries??.............not really."

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
LOL, I can just imagine you lot reading that going, "What is that twonk banging on about?????"

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I think you've learnt a lot since joining VU @VapingJunkie
I've seen you get singled out and bullied recently by a regular participant of the Underground who boasts himself as a self-confessed troll. You stood up for yourself and then drew a line under it and there was no need for a mod to step in.

I might point out that although vapingunderground restricts its rules to "don't be a douche" it also promises to be a safe place for vapers - and afaik bullying comes under "douche". Perhaps there's a member reading this who does not mind being scammed, bullied and trolled and doesn't need the help of moderators.

However, if you've joined VU to social network and enjoy yourself try your best to resolve a situation first if it arises else the mods are here for exactly that. But this is an adult forum and there will always be "that idiot"! My advice is click the Ignore button, then you'll no longer have to see them again.
Good advice!

I was a mod on another forum (Politics), then a senior mod, then an admin, then the site admin with technical duties. It was then that I wondered, where did the time go? Up till midnight doing trackback links, getting stubborn databases to back up along with stubborn advertisers. I learned a lot and had a lot of fun. The only problem was that I had to be on call 24/7 to fix glitches and problems. I'm a baker at an artisan bakery (read old school bread and sweets), so I get up at 3am to get the daily bread baked for the masses. Being a mod or admin take a fair amount of time. If you get asked, think a bit. If you've got the time, go for it. If you cant' commit to at least 20-30 hrs a week, then pass. Just my $0.02.
Another piece of great advice. Many people get overzealous and itchy for a title but if they've never done this before they might be surprised at the time and effort it takes. I'm a little late jumping in here, but I just saw this thread a minute ago.

Another piece of great advice. Many people get overzealous and itchy for a title but if they've never done this before they might be surprised at the time and effort it takes. I'm a little late jumping in here, but I just saw this thread a minute ago.
This is a great and interesting conversation.

That's a hoot!

I'm pretty sure they will make me a moderator.
giphy.gif
Hilaaarious!

about the only one of those requirements i fulfill is the "present". the rest, not so much. :p
...and you're a "crap on a cracker" crack up hilarious. That would be a valuable attribute for a mod. For real

Last edited by a moderator:

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Honestly, this is the only forum I've ever been on, were the Mods are all good people!

So I guess you have been to ECF.

If you don't kiss rolygates ass and pretend to agree with all of his stupid tin foil hat postings about how only 'normal' vaping is safe (whatever the fuck "normal vaping" means) or agree with the way retired1 banned everyone except his buddies in the chat (someone had to actually start an online petition in order to talk about it without being censored) or climb up classless lowlifes ass you end up being "moved on" that way statistically they still can boast having 3 zillion members even though only 50 at the most are active.

Then when a new vaper finally gets up enough courage to ask a question in the new members section (the only place you are allowed to post until you are deemed worthy by a bunch of assholes with god complexes) you will get 30 "get a provari" and 20 "you are just stupid, stick to smoking" responses.

Yea, I've given up on that one too.

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

VapinChevy

Abnormal Chevy Guy
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reviewer
<--- Always Jumps around, of course I do shadow many posts/threads etc... I only put in my knowledge or 2-cents when needed!!! I am on here a total of, ah I lost count lol :cool: Oh HEY ALL *Waves at Everyone* :p

kelli

Vapid Vapetress
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
...and you're a "crap on a cracker" crack up hilarious. That would be a valuable attribute for a mod. For real

my chances of becoming a mod here are about equal with the chances of joe not saying "fuck" for 24 hours. :p

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm always late to the party. What happened to the edit button? Last night I had a sentence per post.
Looks like I'm fishing for a 'most active' trophy!

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The mod and admin team often get requests from members about becoming a moderator for the forums. We love that members are so excited and interested in this place as to want to join the team, and we thank you for that. However, private messages to individual members of the mod or admin team aren't how we typically recruit help.

We have a pretty simple way of doing things around here. At Vaping Underground, we watch and read and observe our members "in the wild" and handpick those we think would be an asset to the team. We look for tact, personability, an embodiment of the values that shape the underground, regular activity, and reliability. We also keep the team suited to the size of the membership, so while we feel adequately staffed at the moment, as the membership and forums grow, we will add to the team as required.

In short, the best way to be considered for the team is to be present, active, helpful and friendly.... and to represent the values that shape this forum: freedom, fairness, and reasonability.
Do you run C.O.R.Y checks?

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So I guess you have been to ECF.

If you don't kiss rolygates ass and pretend to agree with all of his stupid tin foil hat postings about how only 'normal' vaping is safe (whatever the fuck "normal vaping" means) or agree with the way retired1 banned everyone except his buddies in the chat (someone had to actually start an online petition in order to talk about it without being censored) or climb up classless lowlifes ass you end up being "moved on" that way statistically they still can boast having 3 zillion members even though only 50 at the most are active.

Then when a new vaper finally gets up enough courage to ask a question in the new members section (the only place you are allowed to post until you are deemed worthy by a bunch of assholes with god complexes) you will get 30 "get a provari" and 20 "you are just stupid, stick to smoking" responses.

Yea, I've given up on that one too.
Was ECF really that bad then? I joined a few forums obviously before but was never drawn towards ECF. I was a regular on ukvapers and the best thing about it was the moderators. The only place really that was a pain in the ass was groups on Google Plus (note: ass spelt the American way to keep it clean :D )

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Not sure why people run around asking to be a mod.. Seems kinda silly to me. Like asking to be made an Admin on a Minecraft server.. 'Ohh, lookee me!... BAN! BAN!'

Having been admin, mod, super mod, and whatever on a gazillion sites over the years, everywhere from VIA Tech, Inc.'s support forums, to HomebuiltAirplanes, and many in between, I can tell you it it, 1) aint as 'cool' as it sounds, 2) aint as easy as it seems, and 3) ASKING to be made a Mod will usually result in a 'NO'.. Mods are suppose to be the laid back, no chip on their shoulder, can be subjective type of cool people. Asking to be made a Mod usually means you are about to go on a power trip, and that aint cool.. :)

kelli

Vapid Vapetress
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm always late to the party. What happened to the edit button? Last night I had a sentence per post.
Looks like I'm fishing for a 'most active' trophy!

i think on most of these "informational" type threads that the mods or admins start, there is no edit feature. dunno why really, just something i noticed.

kelli

Vapid Vapetress
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Was ECF really that bad then? I joined a few forums obviously before but was never drawn towards ECF. I was a regular on ukvapers and the best thing about it was the moderators. The only place really that was a pain in the ass was groups on Google Plus (note: ass spelt the American way to keep it clean :D )

ECF isn't so bad if you don't mind being oppressed and/or treated like a child. other than that....peachy. :)

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader

It wasn't bad at all if you used to forum for education purposes only.
Like if you just surfed around and read up about vaping and/or the news and media, advocacy sections.
But you better not disagree with anyone in charge.
For instance in here you could be like "Fuck you 5150 ECF is and will be the best" which is fine because you are entitled to your opinion.
But not there.

Did ukvapers get shut down for a little while because the people at totally wicked got butthurt over comments made against them?

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i think on most of these "informational" type threads that the mods or admins start, there is no edit feature. dunno why really, just something i noticed.
Really? There are on mine In fact I actually made a post where you can post and edit to test your post before posting

kelli

Vapid Vapetress
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You can edit your own posts within the first five minutes of its posting, I believe. After that, the option disappears...

not on "these" threads. no edit option even within the first 5 seconds!

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Did ukvapers get shut down for a little while because the people at totally wicked got butthurt over comments made against them?
Idk anything about that. The many of the regular vapers there were elitist however. Big Modders badges. n00bs becoming know it alls in no time. Regulars ganging up, you know. I began to hate it. Felt a bit sorry for the mods actually as they worked hard to make it a homely and social environment.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Doh, course! I should change my title to remember

From "New Vapers Welcome" to "I have evil super powers that I refuse to use for good"?

VU Sponsors