Become a Patron!

So, you're a non-smoker wanting to vape? Take this from me...

daddyrabbit

Member For 4 Years
I've wrestled with myself for many moons on making this highly-controversial topic. And before you read this lengthy post, keep in mind that in NO WAY is this intended to either persuade or dissuade you from vaping. This should only be seen as my personal experience. I've gone through hundreds of websites (including this one) before I made my decision to vape, and here are some things to note while you make your decision. It will definitely seem as if I'm trying to talk you out of it, but I'm not. I'm simply giving you some hard truths that you will find yourself staring in the mirror at as I have. Thus far, I have no regrets in choosing to vape as a non-smoker and I invite my smoking vapers to read and comment as I'm sure they/you will offer some insight on misconceptions and inaccuracies. Otherwise, to the non-smoking (potential) vaper:

You are an outsider.
Don't fight it, just accept it as fact. It is entirely up to you to disclose whether or not you are a non-smoking vaper, but if you do, be prepared for the inevitable scrutiny to follow. While most (if not all) reputable manufacturers of hardware and juice will note that vaping is not intended to be a smoking cessation method, it is the de facto reason that most do. Allegedly, a mere 13% of legal-aged vapers come into vaping without having smoked first. As a non-smoking vaper, I have my reasons (dark place, didn't want to go back to opiates and drinking), you will definitely be asked the rhetorical, "Why on earth would you want to do this." and no answer will be a good or acceptable one.

"Well everyone had to try something for the first time, right?"

True, but unlike smokers who have smoked for the last three decades, you have a wealth of information at your fingertips that will aid you in your decision. Before the age of consumer-grade Internet, other than apocalyptic anti-smoking ads in after-school television and paper media, smokers didn't have the information they needed that would have prevented them from smoking in the first place. Unlike us, they were more or less forced into the life-altering decision of vaping while we may be looking for something to point at 20 years from now and say "I tried that."

So, while you/we may be taking a carpe diem you only live once curiosity approach to vaping, that 87% is taking this very seriously and we, the outsiders, will forever be seen as taking that for granted. We're doing it out of choice, they are doing it out of necessity.

Now is smoking considered a rite of passage to be accepted into the vaping fold? Of course not, but you will always have that looming over your head.

Google "sheeple". You will inevitably find yourself having to prove that you're not one.

This is NOT 100% safe for you.
You will see it thrown around a lot that vaping is 95% safer than smoking. Yeah...for (ex)smokers. You will always and forever be in that 5%. For us, we are introducing a foreign substance into otherwise clean lungs. Your insides haven't been tainted with the 4000+ chemicals and carcinogens of analog cigarettes and here we are CHOOSING to pour chemicals into our bodies.

Depending on who you ask, there are definite benefits to nicotine such as improved concentration and focus (I can certainly attest to that), weight and appetite control, anti-Alzheimer's/Parkinson's/ADHD/Tourette's/Schizophrenia abilities, and pain-relieving abilites. While those may be your reasons for vaping, fact remains that nicotine is incredibly addictive. It can be argued that the additives in cigarettes is what makes nicotine so addictive and it's much harder for a non-smoker to get addicted via vaping (I myself have been vaping at 6mg for months and can still put it down for days at a time without craving in the first). However, an alleged 1 in 3 will still get addicted (compared to 1 in 5 for ******). That's still a disturbing rate. There are literally hundreds of sites with studies that try to explain the pros and cons of nicotine. It goes far far beyond the scope of this post to explain the differences between addiction and dependence as well as all the facts about nicotine, but you still have to do your due diligence in researching and decide whether or not it's worth the risk. And I purposely overuse the word "risk".

Again, even if you do decide to go nic-free, you are still putting something into a clean body. And while it make take years and years and years to realize the long-term effects, you are slowing descending into a pollution of your body.

It can be argued that general pollutants can do just as much harm given time (the smog in China or living within blocks of a sewage treatment plant for example), but still, it isn't a concentrated voluntary inhalation like vaping is. Are you huffing spray pain here? No. And you're certainly not holding your face over a burning barrel of rubber or mixing chlorine and ammonia together and taking huge whiffs of that, but, anything going into your lungs that's not air, is not "100%" safe. Period.

You are not saving dollar one.
You will see that many many people are saving hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars a year by vaping. You are not one of those people. Unless you're fresh off of some other expensive addiction, every dollar you spend is an expense. You can tell yourself, "Well if I'm going to smoke something, I might as well vape" all you want, but the truth is while they may be "saving" money, you're simply "spending less money otherwise". Huge difference.

You are playing catch-up.
Face it, (ex)smokers came into vaping with a super-huge advantage when it comes to putting this into their bodies. When you take that first big drag and you see the curvature of the earth due to the violent coughing and your head is swirling (assuming you went with nicotine), you will find yourself asking "Is this what's supposed to happen and is something I need to get used to?", "Am I doing it right?", "Is this too much nicotine?", "Is this just bad juice?"

(Ex)smokers already know what too much or not enough nicotine feels like. They already know the basics of mouth-to-lung, direct-to-lung, and non-inhaling mouth-hits. They already know the difference between a hitting-it-too-hard cough and this-could-just-be-a-cold cough. You're coming into this having never experienced that all much less have firm knowledge of it. You can read and look at vids all you want, none of that can truly prepare you for filling your mouth and lungs full of super-heated vapor.

Begin with a starter's kit
There's a reason you don't take driver's ed in a Ferrari. You'll be tempted, maybe even advised, to go right after the expensive, flavor-explosive, cloud-generating mod. While some offering you advice will give you information overload on mods, batteries, drip tips, ohm's law, sub-ohm'ing, tanks, and coils, you should really get a starter's kit that has all of that already prepared for you. That way, you'll only spend 40 bucks on something you may not like rather than blowing over a hundred trying to assemble something from scratch based on the advice of veteran vapers. A starter's kit, while it may not have all of the flavor and clouds that you spent hours looking at on YouTube, will at least ease you in to all the basics that you need to know before going after the more advanced stuff. ESPECIALLY safety. If you can't take care of a pen mod, then you are a future news story waiting to happen when you discover the hard way that you can't take care of a 220-watt mod.

(Ex)smokers can go straight for the upper-echelons of gear as they're already used to most of what vaping entails. Of course, they still take on the risks, but by already having smoked, they're halfway there.

However, for the love of everything holy, unholy, living, and dead, don't go straight for the convenience store cig-a-likes like Blu and Vuse. Might as well go eat cold gas station sushi.

There's also the risk of obtaining clones/fakes when you go for the more advanced gear. Do yourself a solid and get a trusted starter's kit from a trusted source.

* CONTINUED BELOW *

Last edited:

daddyrabbit

Member For 4 Years
Better yet, visit a vape shop and ask questions
The two or three shops I visited (there aren't a lot where I live) were very informative in telling me what I needed to know about vaping and they recommended the pen starter kit that I started out with. They even let me test-drive a couple of kits. When I got comfortable with my chosen method of delivery (direct-to-lung), I graduated up to something more intermediate. There are also a lot of reputable people here that can give you some starter's tips, but keep that "outsider" thing in mind if you choose to get your tips and info from a forum of users.

This is a potentially dangerous venture.
There are three things in this world that you learn to respect unequivocally: gravity, water, and electricity. While you're not playing with fire per se, you are still putting a potentially explosive device to your face and sucking on it. Sure, car batteries, cell phones, cordless house phones, battery-powered power tools, and hell even rechargeable game controllers carry the same risk of explosion and fire due to device failure, you don't put any of those things right up to your face and force them to quickly discharge heat and energy either.

This can be a potentially enjoyable venture.
After getting the evil-eye from friends and family who expected me to remain this beacon of wholesomeness while they happily embraced their vices, I've found vaping to be very relaxing and definitely a safer alternative to what I could have been doing. If you read all of this and still want to vape, then you're definitely in the right place to get all the info you need on the best gear to keep you happy. Once you get used to it, the CORRECT and SAFE way, you will find that vaping can be intensely satisfying.

Don't vape where you can't smoke
Especially if you're a vaper in a group of non-smokers. While second-hand vapor isn't nearly as dangerous as second-hand smoke from an analog, there are still some unpleasantries that come with blowing what appears to be smoke from your mouth. I'm sure you've researched the rules and regulations on vaping vs smoking in public places, but don't think that just because you're not "smoking" that you're not "smoking".

So there you have it. Of course, this post is fluid meaning it will be edited according to response as I'm sure I missed something that will get corrected and maybe even get scrutinized, but these are the things I experienced as a non-smoking vaper. I'm not telling you not to vape and I'm most certainly not telling you that this will be the best thing since Southern Sweet Tea, but if you're choosing to walk though the doors of non-smoker vaping and are choosing to reveal that fact, then I hope that some of what you read here will help you out just a little bit.

Thanks for reading!

[EDIT] Added some clarity to the "outsider" and "safe" portions.

[EDIT 2] The system won't let me make posts beyond 10,000 characters, so I split it between the two posts.

Last edited:

Doomsday Vaper

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So there you have it. Of course, this post is fluid meaning it will be edited according to response as I'm sure I missed something that will get corrected and maybe even get scrutinized, but these are the things I experienced as a non-smoking vaper. I'm not telling you not to vape and I'm most certainly not telling you that this will be the best thing since Southern Sweet Tea, but if you're choosing to walk though the doors of non-smoker vaping and are choosing to reveal that fact, then I hope that some of what you read here will help you out just a little bit.
Bravo

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Good post. I personally don't have a single issue with non-smokers vaping; it's so much better than starting to smoke, and if a person is considering vaping for WHATEVER reason, then there's a good chance that if vaping didn't exist, they'd smoke instead -- if vaping can keep people from ever STARTING to smoke, then it's a miracle and I invite any non-smoker to take up vaping rather than smoking.

But due to a lot of that flack you mentioned, from ex-smoker vapers, I'd suggest that a non-smoker who wants to try vaping NOT immediately point out that they've never smoked; it will save them a lot of frustration, from hearing a bunch of naysayers telling them not to. If someone is 18+, it's nobody else's damn business what they do. It will do nothing to public perception nor to FDA regulations nor to laws surrounding it -- the laws and regulations are all about THE MONEY. Once the goobermint figures out a way to tax it, it will be fine with them, though the "charitable" orgs will probably still denounce it -- if less people are getting cancer, COPD, heart disease, they won't have nearly as much reason to exist, so naturally they hate it.

Andria

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Personally I believe that most all Vapers who have never smoked would have picked up smoking if Vaping wasn't available. So I have absolutely zero issues with those who have never smoked picking up Vaping.

cynkrzy

Old Guy with a New Trick
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Excellent! - I'm all about personal responsibility. It's encouraging to see the research and thought you put into your decision to vape!

f4milytime

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ain't that the truth !!

Good post. I personally don't have a single issue with non-smokers vaping; it's so much better than starting to smoke, and if a person is considering vaping for WHATEVER reason, then there's a good chance that if vaping didn't exist, they'd smoke instead --

FΛDED

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Better yet, visit a vape shop and ask questions
The two or three shops I visited (there aren't a lot where I live) were very informative in telling me what I needed to know about vaping and they recommended the pen starter kit that I started out with. They even let me test-drive a couple of kits. When I got comfortable with my chosen method of delivery (direct-to-lung), I graduated up to something more intermediate. There are also a lot of reputable people here that can give you some starter's tips, but keep that "outsider" thing in mind if you choose to get your tips and info from a forum of users.

My favorite bullet because I've transitioned many to vaping. Sometimes when you suggest things (life in general), people will take it as a grain of salt, and some, not even listen at all. But in the lifestyle of vaping and our culture, it seems as though people will listen to everything you say, follow each instruction to the T, the P's and Q's. I really don't mind helping the new vaper at our shop that's just switched over because I feel honored that they'll remember me as "that guy who helped me quit".. just as I will always remember Phil Busardo who's done that with me..

v403k4.png

This was a wonderful read @daddyrabbit . Thanks for that. :)

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It was a well thought out article and some good points of view. As with anything, it's not a one size fits all (nothing will be). For instance I'm an ex smoker, smoked for 20yrs. When I first picked up a cigarette it was 1995, there weren't a shortage of anti smoking slogans and we weren't living in the dark ages. Many people choose to do things regardless if there's warnings about it or not.

While I agree that inhaling anything deliberately generally has no benefit (unless maybe an inhaler for asthma patients or oxygen for those with breathing issues), it's also not as if our lungs are 'pristine'. I know that's typically the non smoker motto but the world isn't made of unicorn farts and glitter. The minute you step foot into today's world, you're screwed. That 'new car' smell that hippydippy yuppy holier than thou parents can't wait to strap their child into? Take a big whiff, most of that is the industrial adhesive and rubber foam from the seat cushions. Yummy. Most newer cars you don't really 'smell' the exhaust, doesn't mean it's water vapor pumping out the tailpipe. There are tons of chemicals in today's world, it's inevitable. No such thing as 'pristine' unless you were around in the days of the buffalo roaming across the untouched countryside and even then it's debatable. Not denying that purposely inhaling things isn't the best idea but putting it into perspective. We live in an industrialized consumer driven world, we're screwed from day 1.

Vaping may be similar to smoking but it's not the same ball of wax. Maybe for others, it wasn't for me. It made me choke and cough like I was gonna die, I couldn't believe a little vapor was hitting me like that after being a 2 pack a day smoker lol. I think it's a period of adjustment for many folks. Same with nicotine delivery. I started off with chewing tobacco and the first few times gave me a buzz that about knocked me on my butt. The buzz lessened as time went on. Moved to cigs and there was a different kind of buzz at first. Different methods of intake/consumption I guess.

A lot of good advice though and good to have a perspective from a non smoker entering vaping. Nothing is 100% safe but it's less harmful than many vices out there. I don't judge those with vices, some do I guess. To each their own, everyone's got their quirks. It's somewhat human nature to explore various things, whether smoking, vaping, drinking, peyote or even oxygen bars. Some definitely more dangerous than others and I think vaping is closer to the 'less harmful' end of the scale. I agree with some of the folks above, personal responsibility in choices and self education of anything is crucial.

Mowgli

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Excellent article. Sticky material. This would also be a good article for a vape magazine.

Vaping helped me quit a 35+ year addiction so I'm an ex-smoker but I'm not one of those clucking mother hens judging never-smokers that vape. I might have been a vaping never-smoker if vaping was available when I was a kid. 35+ years of 95% THR could be a good thing.

Personally I believe that most all Vapers who have never smoked would have picked up smoking if Vaping wasn't available. So I have absolutely zero issues with those who have never smoked picking up Vaping.
exactly.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
While I agree that inhaling anything deliberately generally has no benefit (unless maybe an inhaler for asthma patients or oxygen for those with breathing issues), it's also not as if our lungs are 'pristine'. I know that's typically the non smoker motto but the world isn't made of unicorn farts and glitter. The minute you step foot into today's world, you're screwed. That 'new car' smell that hippydippy yuppy holier than thou parents can't wait to strap their child into? Take a big whiff, most of that is the industrial adhesive and rubber foam from the seat cushions. Yummy. Most newer cars you don't really 'smell' the exhaust, doesn't mean it's water vapor pumping out the tailpipe. There are tons of chemicals in today's world, it's inevitable. No such thing as 'pristine' unless you were around in the days of the buffalo roaming across the untouched countryside and even then it's debatable. Not denying that purposely inhaling things isn't the best idea but putting it into perspective. We live in an industrialized consumer driven world, we're screwed from day 1.

This!!!!! Heh.. I always thought that "new car smell" was probably mostly formaldehyde. :giggle: Sorta like that "new carpet smell" in a new house. ;)

But I developed adult-onset asthma... about a year after moving to Detroit, MI. Never had asthma during the 24 yrs previous, when I had lived in metro Atlanta. Move to Motown, have asthma a year later. I'm not saying the smoking and the many and varied white powders popular in the 80's didn't have ANYTHING to do with it... but it seemed that Detroit was the straw that broke the camel's back. And I didn't even live in a heavily-industrial area, just drove thru it now and then, and lived near the Detroit River which is rich with diesel fumes. Yet there are people who live in Hamtramck, right down near one of the worst industrial areas in the world, who manage to survive. So I'm absolutely certain that inhaling a little PG/VG/nic/flavors is fairly harmless, compared to the godawful toxic stew which is Our Air. All the ANTZ, and all those advising nonsmokers not to vape because "pure air is better" seriously need to check their facts, and get over themselves and their urge to control-freak everyone in sight.

Andria

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the new car smell but then I'm a bit of an odd person. I enjoyed the smell of cracking open the auto shop first thing in the morning and pretty sure it was just a mixture of fuel, oil, brake cleaner and tires & hoses lmao. I was never under the impression it was some organic airwick scent though either. Compared to previous environments and vices vaping is damn near vegetables haha.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the new car smell but then I'm a bit of an odd person. I enjoyed the smell of cracking open the auto shop first thing in the morning and pretty sure it was just a mixture of fuel, oil, brake cleaner and tires & hoses lmao. I was never under the impression it was some organic airwick scent though either. Compared to previous environments and vices vaping is damn near vegetables haha.

When I was a kid, I used to hang out the car window while the gas station attendant (yes, I'm that old) pumped gas -- I was in LOVE with that smell. Now that I have asthma, I try to encounter it as little as possible, making my husband keep our truck gassed up, and after we moved to this house, we bought an electric lawn mower and chain saw and weed-eater -- they're MUCH quieter, and have none of that GAG-A-MAGGOT stench of burning oil and gas together.

I confess, I still love the reek of original Magic Markers, the permanent kind; I fell in love with that smell as a child, totally unaware that I was beginning a lifetime of drug addiction. I also stopped using nail polish when I was pregnant, because my husband pointed out that every time I polished my nails, I was a bit goofy for 20-30 minutes afterward -- I figured that no way was that good for my fetus; of course after he was born, I COULDN'T polish my nails, because everytime I had wet nail polish on my fingers.... WAHHHHHHHHHHHH went the baby. :facepalm:

Andria

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When I was a kid, I used to hang out the car window while the gas station attendant (yes, I'm that old) pumped gas -- I was in LOVE with that smell. Now that I have asthma, I try to encounter it as little as possible, making my husband keep our truck gassed up, and after we moved to this house, we bought an electric lawn mower and chain saw and weed-eater -- they're MUCH quieter, and have none of that GAG-A-MAGGOT stench of burning oil and gas together.

I confess, I still love the reek of original Magic Markers, the permanent kind; I fell in love with that smell as a child, totally unaware that I was beginning a lifetime of drug addiction. I also stopped using nail polish when I was pregnant, because my husband pointed out that every time I polished my nails, I was a bit goofy for 20-30 minutes afterward -- I figured that no way was that good for my fetus; of course after he was born, I COULDN'T polish my nails, because everytime I had wet nail polish on my fingers.... WAHHHHHHHHHHHH went the baby. :facepalm:

Andria
Remember the smell of copies in school you got before the age of copy machines?

Still have fond memories of that smell ;)

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Remember the smell of copies in school you got before the age of copy machines?

Still have fond memories of that smell ;)

Oh yes, the fresh ditto smell! Gorgeous! Though I always found it very similar to the smell of Elmer's Glue.

A weird thing I discovered, during the worst of my peri-menopausal years, when I would wake to find my half of the bed entirely drenched with my sweat -- human sweat smells a bit like Elmer's Glue too, if there's enough of it soaked into the bed linens.

Andria

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yep but if you vape to be cool that is why that most of us started smoking.
Not to be cool for all. Some like me liked the feeling of inhaling and exhaling of smoke, that's why the only thing to get me off the stinkies is vaping ;)

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not to be cool for all. Some like me liked the feeling of inhaling and exhaling of smoke, that's why the only thing to get me off the stinkies is vaping ;)
Yep but before you started liking smoking?

And if you are overweight, bearded and tattooed you MUST vape.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Something to do and was curious about it.

Why do you try any foods, booze or anything in life for that matter? Curiosity ;)

To me, smoking was the thing to do to show I was one of the Cool Kids, and it was the way to thumb the nose at parents, teachers, principals, rules, etc etc etc. Ditto all that for that other smokable stuff, which also conveyed a nice buzz. :D

Parents never seem to learn. Nowadays it's all I FORBID YOU TO VAPE! when all they'd really need to do to stop their kids wanting to do it is approve of it, insist upon them doing it. The kids would be determined not to do it. :giggle:

Andria

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
To me, smoking was the thing to do to show I was one of the Cool Kids, and it was the way to thumb the nose at parents, teachers, principals, rules, etc etc etc. Ditto all that for that other smokable stuff, which also conveyed a nice buzz. :D

Parents never seem to learn. Nowadays it's all I FORBID YOU TO VAPE! when all they'd really need to do to stop their kids wanting to do it is approve of it, insist upon them doing it. The kids would be determined not to do it. :giggle:

Andria
I never liked running in a pack, thought the so called "cool kids" were colossal clueless assholes (most were jocks who didn't smoke). I just wondered why and tried it. Yeah hacked my lungs out and gave me a buzz, but I enjoyed the inhale and exhale.

Plus there was definitely a rebel element to it, grew up Mormon so it fit in with my personality. That was the time I was waking up to the bullshit mythology and absolute control of religion. So I'd say that was a definite influence, but mostly I kept up with because I enjoyed it.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I never liked running in a pack, thought the so called "cool kids" were colossal clueless assholes (most were jocks who didn't smoke). I just wondered why and tried it. Yeah hacked my lungs out and gave me a buzz, but I enjoyed the inhale and exhale.

Plus there was definitely a rebel element to it, grew up Mormon so it fit in with my personality. That was the time I was waking up to the bullshit mythology and absolute control of religion. So I'd say that was a definite influence, but mostly I kept up with because I enjoyed it.

Well, I was 13, and desperate to be accepted by ANYONE, no matter how dumb they actually were -- and yeah, by the time I figured out how dumb those people actually were, I was totally hooked on smoking,.

Hence the great value of vaping: when kids grow up and want to leave behind their childish ways, vaping will be a whole lot easier to leave behind than smoking has ever been.

Andria

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Depending on who you ask, there are definite benefits to nicotine such as improved concentration and focus (I can certainly attest to that), weight and appetite control, anti-Alzheimer's/Parkinson's/ADHD/Tourette's/Schizophrenia abilities, and pain-relieving abilites.

More sleep and prescribed medical treatment is by FAR better than a DIY nicotine treatment. Key words are "may help" not "treatment" or "cure".
Nicotine on it's own, is no more addictive than coffee or colas. Now like other drugs, nicotine does have negative side effects. Not as bad as caffeine, but they do outweigh any supposed "May help" benefits. If you use nicotine, do it because you want to, not because you are looking for a treatment for some other disorder. Fact is, vaping with nicotine IS more harmful than vaping without nicotine, but still far less harmful than smoking.
Nicotine does not improve the taste, so if you don't already smoke, why start a drug you don't need? Making DIY juice is much cheaper if you don't add nicotine. I can easily import PG and VG and flavors, but nicotine import is still banned. The problem is, anti smoking groups have been focusing on nicotine for so long as being addictive, they forgot that it is the other crap in cigarettes that kills you. Fact is, nicotine on it's own is not "highly addictive" as we have been told for decades (since they were actually referring to the nicotine in cigarettes, which has additives) but on its own it is moderately habit forming.

Every ex-smoker who starts vaping begins as a new vaper. Vaping it totally different from smoking. Even a 50 year, 3 pack a day smoker will cough and choke on that first vapor hit.

Clouds have to be worked up to. The simple fact about chucking those huge clouds is.... it takes practice. Practice takes ejuice. If your ejuice has nicotine, you can only practice a short time before you start feeling "icky" which is the best word I can think of for it. Non nicotine ejuice, with high vg you can practice for hours and only end up drinking a lot of water. (which is good for you anyway)

Basically, I am all about vaping safely. Nicotine is not 100% safe. Vaping without nicotine is "safer", so why use it if you don't need to. Also before you start vaping, get a few suggestions on starter gear. Those vape pens might be cheaper, but not when you have to go buy a new mod in 15 days and toss the vape pen in a drawer. Better to just get a 50 to 100w starter kit. Many here can recommend different kits which have different benefits and short falls.

And remember, and this is vital.. new vapers should only use regulated vape mods. If you are a new vaper and come on here looking for help with a mechanical mod, you are shit out of luck. The reason is, not that we are assholes, the reason is we don't want to see you hurt yourself. Even if you buy your batteries from the local shop, and buy your coils, there is no guarantee that you will not short those coils and have the battery go into a thermal run. After using a regulated mod for 6 months and learning how to build and mount coils and calculate resistance, THEN we can help you more. Mind you, we can offer some help, such as recommending the safest batteries, and telling you what resistance is ok to use on those batteries, and explaining what CDR is, and what to avoid. What the difference between a hybrid and non-hybrid mod is.. That is all just basic stuff. Even then, we will recommend sticking to a regulated mod.

Good article by the way.
The main thing is if you choose to vape, whether you previously smoked or not, safety is your number one concern. If you are thinking about using nicotine, buy a 15ml bottle with nic and a 15ml bottle without. You will probably just say Pfft.. 0mg is fine.

daddyrabbit

Member For 4 Years
If you use nicotine, do it because you want to, not because you are looking for a treatment for some other disorder.
Can't say I agree with that as most would argue quite the opposite. Especially supporters of other questionable activities (NO DRUG TALK) please read the forum rules.

After all, a key argument smoking vapers throw on non-smoking vapers is "why on Earth would you WANT to introduce an addictive drug to your system while we're trying to get rid of it?". To say "because I just want to" is never an acceptable answer. You'll still need to answer, even if to yourself, "if not for some benefit, why do I want to?"

I guarantee you nic wasn't first on the list when figuring out how to deal with my headaches, anxiety, and anger issues. But it's a shit-brick tons cheaper than dealing with today's US medical coverage crisis and paying $300/hour to see a shrink. But I'll be damned if I go back to oxy and H.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I would not be happy if my child, or anyone's child started vaping. nothing belongs in your lungs but air period. However that being said I've come to the conclusion that nicotine in and of itself is not that addictive nor all that much of a health hazard...of course honestly people have not been vaping long enough for any of us to actually know the long term effects of vaping.....one of vaping's many attributes is that it is no where near as addictive as smoking, and that kids who have never smoked, but have just vaped, have not resigned themselves to a possible lifelong addiction to smoking.

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
More sleep and prescribed medical treatment is by FAR better than a DIY nicotine treatment. Key words are "may help" not "treatment" or "cure".

Yes, more and more drugs with possible/probable interactions is FAR better than adding a little nic to my juice. Almost every drug has a "may help" caution. Very few are guaranteed to work for everyone. And for some people like me, finding a drug that actually works for what we need is extremely costly and frustrating, spanning many years. No thanks, I'm done guinea pigging my body. I'm going with something enjoyable with very little risk from now on.

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

Have you seen some of Yankee Candle's line of man scents? :giggle:

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

Andria

I've actually encouraged my kids to vape and have helped them get started. One's a smoker, one isn't. Both are above the age of consent. I encouraged the non-smoker to give it a try (he usually sticks to 0 nic) in order to PREVENT him from smoking. After all, vaping is cooler than smoking, eh wot? :D

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Yes, more and more drugs with possible/probable interactions is FAR better than adding a little nic to my juice. Almost every drug has a "may help" caution. Very few are guaranteed to work for everyone. And for some people like me, finding a drug that actually works for what we need is extremely costly and frustrating, spanning many years. No thanks, I'm done guinea pigging my body. I'm going with something enjoyable with very little risk from now on.
What I am saying, is self prescribing nicotine because it MAY help symptoms, is NOT the same as the proper care of a Doctor with a medical degree and his prescribed treatment. If you want to use nicotine, fine, just don't use a medical condition as an excuse. Taking nicotine because it may help with headaches from my high blood pressure isn't going to prevent me from having a stroke.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
What I am saying, is self prescribing nicotine because it MAY help symptoms, is NOT the same as the proper care of a Doctor with a medical degree and his prescribed treatment. If you want to use nicotine, fine, just don't use a medical condition as an excuse. Taking nicotine because it may help with headaches from my high blood pressure isn't going to prevent me from having a stroke.

You seem to have to this belief that a medical degree confers godlike powers and knowledge. It doesn't. Most docs are too busy treating patients to keep abreast of every new idea that comes along -- such as, nicotine may help or may prevent: Parkinson's, Alzheimers, senile dementia, ADHD, ADD, anxiety, depression, schizophrenia, ulcerative colitis and other type of inflammatory bowel disease... to name just a few. And most Dr's are pretty ignorant of vaping, and still keep flogging all that pharma snake-oil, even though smokers have known for YEARS that that shit just doesn't work.

Big Pharma doesn't give a single shit about helping ANYONE -- if they can keep making a thousand trillion dollars every year and not kill TOO many people, they're fine with that, and if some of their snake-oil actually helps people, well that's just good PR, not the reason they're in business. Docs only know what those pharma leeches tell them, for the most part.

Unfortunately, a lot of doctors also believe themselves blessed with godlike powers and knowledge.

Andria

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I would not be happy if my child, or anyone's child started vaping. nothing belongs in your lungs but air period. However that being said I've come to the conclusion that nicotine in and of itself is not that addictive nor all that much of a health hazard...of course honestly people have not been vaping long enough for any of us to actually know the long term effects of vaping.....one of vaping's many attributes is that it is no where near as addictive as smoking, and that kids who have never smoked, but have just vaped, have not resigned themselves to a possible lifelong addiction to smoking.
Exactly. With smoking you have to use nicotine. With vaping it is an option. If you never used it before, you don't NEED to start. It is just one more foreign substance. If you choose to use nicotine, that is up to each individual. I just object to people saying nicotine is a treatment for existing conditions. Sure, it might help with some symptoms, but it is not a treatment.

daddyrabbit

Member For 4 Years

What other "excuse" is there?

To each his own, I guess. No one ever said that self-diagnosis and treatment replaces a doctor's care. If I'm diagnosed with a major disease, I'm not gonna say "screw you doc my Banana Candy vape is going to heal me", but when one has a functional headache or is on the brink of ripping someone's mandible out, I can take a few drags on some $11 juice which I KNOW will help me or I can burn a $60 co-pay at the doc to go get a $70 prescription that MAY help as well.

I knew there was going to be drama with the ACA and it's repeal, so I went hunting non-medical alternatives for my headaches which were already diagnosed. Nic was one of those viable alternatives.

So yeah, I'm using a medical condition as an "excuse".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
You seem to have to this belief that a medical degree confers godlike powers and knowledge. It doesn't. Most docs are too busy treating patients to keep abreast of every new idea that comes along -- such as, nicotine may help or may prevent: Parkinson's, Alzheimers, senile dementia, ADHD, ADD, anxiety, depression, schizophrenia, ulcerative colitis and other type of inflammatory bowel disease... to name just a few. And most Dr's are pretty ignorant of vaping, and still keep flogging all that pharma snake-oil, even though smokers have known for YEARS that that shit just doesn't work.

Big Pharma doesn't give a single shit about helping ANYONE -- if they can keep making a thousand trillion dollars every year and not kill TOO many people, they're fine with that, and if some of their snake-oil actually helps people, well that's just good PR, not the reason they're in business. Docs only know what those pharma leeches tell them, for the most part.

Unfortunately, a lot of doctors also believe themselves blessed with godlike powers and knowledge.

Andria

It may just be me or it may be my imagination, but it seems to help with my pain a bit. And since neither I nor a number of doctors have found anything, up to and including vicodin, that helps with my pain, I'm not going to question the placebo effect and will just vape on. :) And it definitely helps with frustrations and keeps murderous thoughts from taking form too strongly. :teehee:

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile

Andria
Well, that is your choice. Cry about big pharma, which has nothing to do with a degree and 7 or more years of study of the human body and medical conditions. Personally, I prefer to treat the cause of the condition, rather than slap a bandage on the symptoms. These drug interactions you keep crying about are pretty much non-existent since your medicines are documented by the pharmacy and possible interactions cause an alert, so the pharmacist can alert your doctor and substitute a treatment that does not interact. I found out recently a simple antibiotic can react with my blood pressure meds.. The pharmacist alerted me and I was given a different antibiotic. We aren't talking about 50 years ago where interactions were hit or miss.
Basically, in telling a person that has never used nicotine before that it may help with some symptoms, you are playing doctor. You have no business suggesting they take any drug. If they choose to it is their life, and not yours to play with because of your OPINION. If you want to use maggots to prevent a wound from getting infected because there are no possible drug interactions, fine. But I'll stick to polysporin and the PROFESSIONAL advice of a Doctor and Pharmacist.

Have you ever considered that perhaps your headaches are caused by nicotine withdrawl after smoking for many years? Just like if I dont have my coffee, I get headaches. That isn't saying coffee cures headaches, that is just saying coffee prevents caffeine withdrawl symptoms. If I never started drinking coffee,I wouldn't get the headaches caused by withdrawl.

And honestly... I buy my VG and PG from the pharmacy! If I could get my nicotine from the pharmacy, I would do that too. But, I promise you, somewhere along the supply chain, someone is getting nicotine from a pharma lab.

Now that having been said, I use nicotine in my ejuice. I used nicotine when I smoked cigarettes. I know nicotine is less harmful than caffeine, but STILL I recommend that if someone has never used nicotine, NOT to start using it. Just the same was as when I was smoking, I would advice others not to start smoking. You don't have to use nicotine to enjoy vaping, and if you never smoked and want to vape, you are better off. And if you have any of those conditions, you are better off seeing a doctor for treatment, than listening to some random person that does not have to suffer the consequences of her own advice, if that advice proves harmful to the person in question.

If those headaches are caused by high blood pressure, is it YOU that has to spend the last 10 years of life, sitting in a wheel chair drooling and pissing all over themselves because they had a stroke after they took your advice and used nicotine as a bandage treatment for the headache?

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
If you want to use maggots to prevent a wound from getting infected because there are no possible drug interactions, fine. But I'll stick to polysporin and the PROFESSIONAL advice of a Doctor and Pharmacist.

Since I'm deathly allergic to polysporin (and other types of topical treatments), I'll stick to the maggots, thanks very much.

Where, in any of this entire thread, was anyone diagnosing someone else and/or telling them to use nicotine for their illnesses/diseases? Saying that studies have found it to be effective in the treatment of whatever is not the same as diagnosing or even recommending to someone that they use nic for all their ills.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
@AndriaD By the way, nothing personal here. We agree on a great many things. This just doesn't happen to be one of them. I am quite a firm advocate of not taking recreational drugs unless prescribed. Nicotine is a recreational drug. Just like caffeine. Just because they happen to be legal to use, doesn't make them good for you in any way.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
@Khassy Right here actually...

Depending on who you ask, there are definite benefits to nicotine such as improved concentration and focus (I can certainly attest to that), weight and appetite control, anti-Alzheimer's/Parkinson's/ADHD/Tourette's/Schizophrenia abilities, and pain-relieving abilites.

My point was, whether or not nicotine does or does not have any effect on any symptoms of any of those conditions, should never be a factor when a new vaper is deciding to use nicotine or not. Just like regular coffee or decaff.

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
@Khassy Right here actually...

That is a statement, not a diagnosis or recommendation for people to use it for those purposes. It simply states that some have found such benefits to exist. I've read some studies myself about it before I decided to give it a try.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It may just be me or it may be my imagination, but it seems to help with my pain a bit. And since neither I nor a number of doctors have found anything, up to and including vicodin, that helps with my pain, I'm not going to question the placebo effect and will just vape on. :) And it definitely helps with frustrations and keeps murderous thoughts from taking form too strongly. :teehee:

Some of the "minor" tobacco alkaloids are known to have profound anti-inflammatory effects, and I think this was the major reason why WTA helped me so much after my appendectomy; I have IBS, and ANY "fiddling" with my colon, even something as mild as a stool softener, provokes my guts into screaming anarchy -- so imagine what sepsis and surgery in my colon did to it! :facepalm: Nicotine also has the anti-inflammatory effect, though slighter than the other alkaloids.

Andria

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
That is a statement, not a diagnosis or recommendation for people to use it for those purposes. It simply states that some have found such benefits to exist. I've read some studies myself about it before I decided to give it a try.
Exactly... you did the studies for yourself. And made your choice based on that. This is a vaping site, not a medical site. The only thing we as vapers should be taking into consideration, is the degree of how harmful nicotine actually is. Not what it might help with the symptoms of.. Even if it is only slightly harmful, that is more harmful than not using it. So, suggesting new vapers who never smoked, not to use nicotine is right at the very core of this site.. vaping as safely as possible. I am sure you looked into potential side effects as well as potential benefits of nicotine on your own and made your own decision based on that. Right? Im not saying new vapers shouldnt use nicotine, I am saying it is less harmful if they don't, and if they choose to, they should do the same as you did.

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
This is a vaping site, not a medical site.

So, by that rationale, people have no business asking for advice or ideas on why they are having headaches or coughing issues and whether or not it might be related to vaping. Those people should just shut the hell up and go to the all-knowing doctor?

VU Sponsors