Become a Patron!

Soft Jaw Pliers

kisianik

Member For 4 Years
Hi

Does anyone uses Soft Curved Jaw Pliers to unscrew tight stuck tanks?

I just cracked Smok Spirals glass (ordered replacements already), very good flavor tank by the way, There is no way to unscrew this tank by bare hands/fingers. I already using medical gloves for better grip.

Most of other tanks have similar problem.

Quick Amazon search returned Soft Jaw Pliers with hard plastic nose sleeves, but softer plastic or hard rubber would be the best.

Any suggestions or vendors other than Amazon would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I have a pair of regular slip joint pliers that I wrapped the jaws with really thick waterproof sealing tape. Just make sure you use a light touch and grip the metal base.

kisianik

Member For 4 Years
I have a pair of regular slip joint pliers that I wrapped the jaws with really thick waterproof sealing tape. Just make sure you use a light touch and grip the metal base.

Thanks.

That what approximately I already did, different tape used. Probably electrical tape (I have plenty of those) will do same as your choice. Smok Spiral is just so small tank, especially metal parts, so tiny, that only precision pliers can be used (larger tanks like TFV12 OK for regular size pliers). I guess I would have to settle on smaller pliers and tape.

can you link your tape choice, if it is working perfect for you. I am sure my home Depot has them all, just want to save time looking for the strong, rubberized sticky tape.

Thanks

PuffOn

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Once you get it off, don't over tighten it.
You shouldn't need pliers to remove tanks/RDAs, all the time.
If it has air holes in the base, you can use an allen key in the holes for leverage.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Shit happens while out today I went to unscrew my Nautilus Mini to refill the tank and the tank was coming off and the base was stuck. Checking to make sure it is properly tightened down can result in over tightening. Like I said SHIT Happens!

upload_2017-11-9_16-48-28.png

Vapin4Joy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A strap wrench, works every time!

9010434_ptl_1903_pri_larg.jpg

kisianik

Member For 4 Years
A strap wrench, works every time!

9010434_ptl_1903_pri_larg.jpg
This one looks professional. I spent so much on getting new tanks and MODs and tools and supplies - this would be a great addition, if this is serious.
Are those straps plastic or rubber? Can you drop a link to this picture, I will research the rest.

Thanks a lot everyone for suggestions.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Thanks.
can you link your tape choice, if it is working perfect for you. I am sure my home Depot has them all, just want to save time looking for the strong, rubberized sticky tape.

Thanks
I bought that tape 3-4 years ago and don't remember where. Maybe Harbor Freight or Walmart or Home Depot. Electrical tape would work, just need enough wrapped so the plier teeth don't scratch the atty...

Vapin4Joy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This one looks professional. I spent so much on getting new tanks and MODs and tools and supplies - this would be a great addition, if this is serious.
Are those straps plastic or rubber? Can you drop a link to this picture, I will research the rest.

Thanks a lot everyone for suggestions.
The one's I own have corded rubber straps, there are many available, in many sizes, mine are Snap On, just Google Strap Wrench.

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have a couple of tanks that have parts that are easily over-tightened, and also a couple of sections on tanks that are hard to tighten enough. I find putting a rubber band over each of the tank parts mostly gives me enough grip on them to be able to get the job done.

One other thing I've found is if the cylindrical part is thin putting too much pressure on it will make it go out of round and make the threads tighter.

the plastic dip works the best..or some heat shrink that fits the jaws....use the smallest pair of slip locks u can find..

R.Savage

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Check out a brand called knipex they specialize in pliers and cutters. Maybe a bit pricey but well worth it. I have a few in my tool box.

Perhaps they may have a solution for you.

VU Sponsors