Become a Patron!

Some advice, please

BunnyT

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I watched some youtube vids on DIY and was suprised at the warnings about nicotine. I've heard everything from don't worry to don't even smell it!

I'm getting ready to do my first batch. Besides not getting on my skin what else do I need to know for safety.

RMarcusY

☮ Ambassador ☮
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Pure nicotine (997+mg) is very bad and dangerous, but venders don't sale it to DIYers. They cut down to 10% aka 100mg.or lower. At that level it is fairly save to work with. Try not to get it on your hands, wear gloves, work in a well vented room, but don't freak out if you do get it on your skin just go wash it off with tap water. I've talked to people that say they have put a drop of 100mg nicotine on there tongue and were not harmed.

BunnyT

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thank, RM. I ordered the 100mg of nicotine. I knew the pro's would know how to handle it.

Cavediver

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
make sure you use gloves..

small tip: use a tray in case of spills, that way what ever happens, it wont go too far ;)

I'd recommend safety glasses as well if you're not wearing regular glasses. No need to go all Breaking Bad with a face mask or goggles, just use something to guard against splashes.

BunnyT

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks, you guys. I appreciate all the advice.

WharfRat1976

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I feel it in my eyes a little in the short few moments I am exposed to it. 100 mg nic. I stopped wearing gloves. If you are very shakey just be careful of the stuff. I usually put in my Premix first than my nic so it dilutes. I have respect for the stuff. I usually immediately submerse the pipette I use in water, wipe the nic bottle well then wash my hands. No problems. I have never had a spill.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
You want zero distractions when mixing. I like to make a large amount of a base mix. I split my nic into several bottles when I get it and store it in the freezer. I leave one out for mixing. But then I make a base in my desired mg and pg/vg ratio. I rarely deal with a bottle of nic this way.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I do the same as Huck - makes for much faster mixing. When I mix up my nic base I actually do it in the sink in case of a spill - that way the water is right there, and I can't drop it on the floor and poison the dog....:p

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I'm also going to add... don't do this necessarily, do what feels safest to you. I've only worn gloves once, I think. I've gotten 100mg on my hands many times and haven't had any issue, yet. I do wash my hands in cold water, too.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm also going to add... don't do this necessarily, do what feels safest to you. I've only worn gloves once, I think. I've gotten 100mg on my hands many times and haven't had any issue, yet. I do wash my hands in cold water, too.

LOL I put gloves on the other day when I was mixing for a friend who was sitting there watching me:D

Mixman

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I mix a lot of juice and its in a number of different recipes with pg/vg ratios all over the board and for tank and drip. So, here is the easiest way I have found to mix a good bottle of juice assuming you have a good or better recipe. First of all mix a big bottle of your recipe (flavors only), say enough for 5 or more bottles. Label that bottle whatever name you chose for the name of your juice, then
1. Take your flavor only bottle and pour into a cylinder the number of ml of flavor you need for a bottle the size your making. Pour into your juice bottle;
2. Measure into a cylinder the number of ml of pg, if any and pour into your juice bottle;
3. Use a syringe and carefully measure your nic amount (6mg juice needs .6ml of 100mg/ml nic for example in a 10ml of juice) and squirt it into your juice bottle;
4. Use a syringe and measure into that syringe the amount of VG you need and squirt into your juice bottle; finally
5. Install a tip and cap and shake n vape or let steep.

P.S. Until your skills improve a lot, you need a juice calculator to create a safe recipe. Always write your recipe down in your own recipe book. Notice I used the terms flavor bottle and juice bottle. These are different bottles with different purposes. Lets say you buy a flavor banana creme and you then mix caramel, vanilla, coconut, custard and brown sugar flavors in enough of a quantity to mix 10 bottles. You no longer have banana creme in the flavor bottle etc, you have a flavor you created (insert name of your juice). You have simplified your recipe to one flavor (name of juice), pg, nic and vg. Best of luck n have fun.

VU Sponsors