Become a Patron!

Some General RBA Questions

daddyrabbit

Member For 4 Years
After struggling to find some TF8-V8 replacement coils, I'm going to dive into the Baby Beast RBA. I hear the clouds are better and the flavors are MUCH better and their pre-made counterparts.

Anyways, I don't plan on building the coils themselves. I'm going to buy the pre-built Clapton coils for now.

I work with multi-meters on a daily basis, should I still get the Ohm tester (like the one by Coil Master)?

Cotton Bacon seems to be most people's brand of choice. A 10-strip pack of 4-inch pieces should last through rebuilding 5 dual-coils, yes?

When the cotton has been spent (burnt taste), would I just replace the cotton or do I have to replace the cotton, coils, and all?

Thanks!

Syrath

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
After struggling to find some TF8-V8 replacement coils, I'm going to dive into the Baby Beast RBA. I hear the clouds are better and the flavors are MUCH better and their pre-made counterparts.

Anyways, I don't plan on building the coils themselves. I'm going to buy the pre-built Clapton coils for now.

I work with multi-meters on a daily basis, should I still get the Ohm tester (like the one by Coil Master)?

Cotton Bacon seems to be most people's brand of choice. A 10-strip pack of 4-inch pieces should last through rebuilding 5 dual-coils, yes?

When the cotton has been spent (burnt taste), would I just replace the cotton or do I have to replace the cotton, coils, and all?

Thanks!

I can answer a couple of your questions. Cotton Bacon v2 is pretty popular since taste and builds are a bit subjective you might find you like Kendo gold better but Cotton Bacon v2 is great place to start. It is what I have been mainly using. The pack should last you more then 5 builds.

Cotton changing for me depends on the juice, some juice is super hard on the cotton and coils others like Adore's doesnt dirty the cotton or coils. I have not used the TFV8 RBA, however in my rebuildables I change the cotton some times when I change flavors, if the prior flavor is just stuck in there or when it gets dirty or sometimes I am bored. When you change you cotton heat the coils up so you dry burn them clean, then after they are glowing let off the power and rinse them. They will appear almost good as new. Your coils should last a fair amount of time.

The coil master ohm meter work great, I would recommend one of the Coil Master 521's. There are also the Geek Vape OHM Meters, I havent used them but I believe they are just as good.

gpjoe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you are using a mech mod, I would still get the ohm meter to check the RBA once it is built and completely assembled to make sure you don't have a short. If you are using a regulated mod it's not critical since the mod will tell you the resistance, and won't fire a shorted atty.

daddyrabbit

Member For 4 Years
If you are using a mech mod, I would still get the ohm meter to check the RBA once it is built and completely assembled to make sure you don't have a short. If you are using a regulated mod it's not critical since the mod will tell you the resistance, and won't fire a shorted atty.

I'm using the Smok Alien.

What I'm gathering so far is:

The Alien will read the ohms for me.

When the cotton is spent, I only need to open it up, replace the cotton only and not the coil (in which case, when do I replace the coil itself?).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A multimeter or your regulated device can be used to check the resistance, instead of an ohm meter.

I'm using KGD, got an 80 pad pack that should last me for years.

It's wasteful to throw the coil along with the spent wick, all you need to do is to pull out the wick, dry burn the coil and rewick.

Last edited:

Vaperizor

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
A multimeter or your regulated device can be used to check the resistance, instead of an ohm meter.

I'm using KGD, got an 80 pad pack that should last me for years.

It's wasteful to throw the coil along with the spent wick, all you need to do is to pull out the wick, dry burn the coil and rewick.
How often do you gotta rebuild a new coil im new to rdas

Foggz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
rebuild the coil when the flavor changes .. varies with all the variables.. ;p
High sugar content liquid will necessitate more frequent coil changes/cleaning - Chocolate type vapes or dark liquids sometimes as well. All depends on temperatures you use with liquid vaped and how much liquid you are going through.
I use SS coils with temp control. I can get two to three weeks out of a coil but do not consider myself a heavy vapor. Other times will change coils 3 to 5 days... again depends on juice and use.

Welcome daddyrabbit & Vaperizor to VU!

gpjoe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm using the Smok Alien.

What I'm gathering so far is:

The Alien will read the ohms for me.

When the cotton is spent, I only need to open it up, replace the cotton only and not the coil (in which case, when do I replace the coil itself?).

Yes, the Alien will read the resistance of your atomizer and the coils will not fire if the atty is shorted or too low.

Coils will last a long time, and theoretically you can use a coil until it stops working - which means it burns open. I don't wait that long but you can get a very long time out of the coil.

So, generally, you should just need to change the cotton every few days or so but that depends on the usage. Obviously it will need to be replaced often if you're using one mod/atty all day, every day. If it's part of several that you use during the day, the cotton will last longer. As others have stated, you will notice flavor and vapor production drop off when the cotton needs replacement.

When it's time to re-wick you just pull the cotton out of the coils and fire your mod to burn any gunk off the coils. Some people like to rinse the coils and then burn again to dry them out and then re-wick the coils once they have cooled off.

It's not really that hard. You'll get more comfortable as you gain experience.

daddyrabbit

Member For 4 Years
Yes, the Alien will read the resistance of your atomizer and the coils will not fire if the atty is shorted or too low.

Coils will last a long time, and theoretically you can use a coil until it stops working - which means it burns open. I don't wait that long but you can get a very long time out of the coil.

So, generally, you should just need to change the cotton every few days or so but that depends on the usage. Obviously it will need to be replaced often if you're using one mod/atty all day, every day. If it's part of several that you use during the day, the cotton will last longer. As others have stated, you will notice flavor and vapor production drop off when the cotton needs replacement.

When it's time to re-wick you just pull the cotton out of the coils and fire your mod to burn any gunk off the coils. Some people like to rinse the coils and then burn again to dry them out and then re-wick the coils once they have cooled off.

It's not really that hard. You'll get more comfortable as you gain experience.

Well lo and behold, I got some Alien Claptons (weird angled coil) and tried to install them according to the dozens of YouTube videos. Smok Alien said "Don't Abuse Protects" and "Short Atomizer". Ordered some regular SS claptons and will try it again.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Well lo and behold, I got some Alien Claptons (weird angled coil) and tried to install them according to the dozens of YouTube videos. Smok Alien said "Don't Abuse Protects" and "Short Atomizer". Ordered some regular SS claptons and will try it again.

What was the coil's resistance? The Alien mod won't fire below 0.1 ohms in Watt mode. Some hefty alien claptons might be too low. I believe it will fire down to 0.06 ohms in Temp mode. Alien claptons are about as good as it gets for flavor(though opinions vary).

Also, make sure the rba base is screwed tightly into the rba body. Mine came loose and the mod couldn't read the resistance properly.

Last edited:

daddyrabbit

Member For 4 Years
What was the coil's resistance? The Alien mod won't fire below 0.1 ohms in Watt mode. I believe it will fire down to 0.06 ohms in Temp mode.

.45 cut in half supposed to read .23 +/- dual right?

After erroring out on 6 of em, I finally got it. Damned thing is a lot smaller than the vids portray.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
.45 cut in half supposed to read .23 +/- dual right?

After erroring out on 6 of em, I finally got it. Damned thing is a lot smaller than the vids portray.

Yep on the .23ish.

Glad you got it. And yeah, making those aliens and claptons gives me serious eyestrain, lol.

VU Sponsors