Become a Patron!

Some help for a total beginner...my 1st RTA...Bellus...what now

DanTe

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I got it!
So...what now?
I'm total noob with this.

It would really help me if you know if there are any pre made coils for Bellus...I see there are some options, but I don't know which one to chose.

If not...can you tell me which wire...exactly...cause I don't know anything.

I saw it somewhere that someone was mentioning 26 gauge...2.5 mm...

I don't know how many wraps...I would like to get higher ohms...I'm MTL vaper...like 1ohm and above if it's possible.
Thank you in advance.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
You vape like me. I use 28g, but 26 is fine. I should say, I don't have this tank, but the same resistance you're going for. This will assist you with coil wrapping. http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp

Just plug in the values of the wire being used and the resistance you'll be shooting for, it'll tell you the rest. I use Kanthal, some like stainless steel, or you can simply buy premade coils. There are a few guys around that make and sell coils, check in the Unlisted Vendors section for @BUDKISS, @scarecrowjenkins @twistedcoils. Or @raymo2u, but he doesn't have a listing. And some online shops sell, too, honestly not sure if Kidney Puncher and places like that do, or not, but I know they sell wire.

Wrapping simple coils is easy, but if you want the fancy stuff, those guys can surely assist you.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
wow ok
start here
http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp

this is a basic coil calculator
it will tell you how many wraps at what ID and gauge
plug numbers in to get an idea

basic ID (ID means Inner Diameter of teh coil or in other words what diameter is the THING like a screwdriver, coil making jig, drill bit, you are wrapping teh wire around)

Most people use IDs of 2,2.5,3,35 mm

so that gets you starte din understanding what gauges and number of wraps and ID you need to get you target ohm reading

now since you MTL you want coils that ohm above 1 ohm USUALLY. you may be different. But I would try to start with the sam eohm coil you use on your go to device

now what type of wire
well basically you use kanthal A1
or stainless steel
for basic coils
some use nichrome80
and nickel and titanium are for temperature control ONLY

most people start on kanthal
what gauges
well that depends on stuff
but 24 , 26,28,30 even 32 gauge are very common

basic idea of coils
more metal= more vapor=more flavor

my opinion is put the biggest coil you can fit in your device.
But with single coils that can give you very high ohms

but lets look at the link i posted
say your go to device has an ohm of 1.5ohms
ok lets set ID to 2.5mm cuz thats pretty common in an rta
set target resistance to 1.5ohms
set it kanthal a1
and 26 gauge

you need 12-13 wraps on a single coil to make it read at 1.5ohms
but if you change the gauge to 28 you only need 8 wraps
but if you go to 24 gauge you will need 19 wraps

get the basic idea
if you increase the ID you need less wraps

now thats for single coils
dual coils work this way
first you must build 2 coils that are identical
if each coil reads at 1.5 ohms
then when you put the both in
the resistance will be cut in half and you will be getting .75 ohms

ok thats really really really really basic stuff to get you started
to get ideas of what others are using in the bellus
find the bellus thread on here
its somewhere
do a search
read through it
people will post what type of coils and so forth they are using and what ohms they get etc
this can give you ideas

it is really easy once you do it a few time sand get the hang of it
go on youtube for coil building videos to see people doing it
IGNORE ANYTHING that has to do with advanced coils like claptons
learn to build a simple micro coil to start with
and then go from there

theres a coil building 101 thread going on here somewhere too
search for it
there some good stuff tehre
and its a good place to get some answers to noob questions since many of the experts here are subscribe dt o that thread and will see your post

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
wow ok
start here
http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp

this is a basic coil calculator
it will tell you how many wraps at what ID and gauge
plug numbers in to get an idea

basic ID (ID means Inner Diameter of teh coil or in other words what diameter is the THING like a screwdriver, coil making jig, drill bit, you are wrapping teh wire around)

Most people use IDs of 2,2.5,3,35 mm

so that gets you starte din understanding what gauges and number of wraps and ID you need to get you target ohm reading

now since you MTL you want coils that ohm above 1 ohm USUALLY. you may be different. But I would try to start with the sam eohm coil you use on your go to device

now what type of wire
well basically you use kanthal A1
or stainless steel
for basic coils
some use nichrome80
and nickel and titanium are for temperature control ONLY

most people start on kanthal
what gauges
well that depends on stuff
but 24 , 26,28,30 even 32 gauge are very common

basic idea of coils
more metal= more vapor=more flavor

my opinion is put the biggest coil you can fit in your device.
But with single coils that can give you very high ohms

but lets look at the link i posted
say your go to device has an ohm of 1.5ohms
ok lets set ID to 2.5mm cuz thats pretty common in an rta
set target resistance to 1.5ohms
set it kanthal a1
and 26 gauge

you need 12-13 wraps on a single coil to make it read at 1.5ohms
but if you change the gauge to 28 you only need 8 wraps
but if you go to 24 gauge you will need 19 wraps

get the basic idea
if you increase the ID you need less wraps

now thats for single coils
dual coils work this way
first you must build 2 coils that are identical
if each coil reads at 1.5 ohms
then when you put the both in
the resistance will be cut in half and you will be getting .75 ohms

ok thats really really really really basic stuff to get you started
to get ideas of what others are using in the bellus
find the bellus thread on here
its somewhere
do a search
read through it
people will post what type of coils and so forth they are using and what ohms they get etc
this can give you ideas

it is really easy once you do it a few time sand get the hang of it
go on youtube for coil building videos to see people doing it
IGNORE ANYTHING that has to do with advanced coils like claptons
learn to build a simple micro coil to start with
and then go from there

theres a coil building 101 thread going on here somewhere too
search for it
there some good stuff tehre
and its a good place to get some answers to noob questions since many of the experts here are subscribe dt o that thread and will see your post
Very thorough explanation Matt!!! Well said!

DanTe

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Hey guys...thanks for reply and info and thorough explanation.
Appreciate it.

I wrote in title that I have Bellus...got it for really cheap.

But then I was on my way to get to know the tank.

Main thing is...building deck is very small...and people are building "micro" coils.

I've been watching some YouTube clips, but, since I'm noob with this, couldn't catch everything.

What I know...people with Bellus usually use 26 gauge wire and 2.5 diameter coil build...that's like "normal"
With 3mm...very hard...and very likely that will short circuit...or if you are "pro" and know how to squeeze and jiggle the coil in right spot.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
ok so know you know what alot of people use
26 gauge
and 2.5mm ID
but that only part of your equation and answer

what ohm are you looking to get?
what ohm coils do you use in your go to device
that is the best place to start

so put that ohm in steam
and 2.5 id
and 26 gauge
and see how many wraps you get

then you need to figure out if that fits in a bellus

you also nee dto go find something that is 2.5mm diameter to wrap coils on
screwdrivers and drill bits are go to for many people
but you need to measure them to know what they are
otherwise get a coil jig with marked rods to tell you what diameter it is

now you are fortunate with a bellus
you can build single coil if you insert the adapter in to block of half the deck
so you can do both single or dual coil builds
remember dual coil builds require both coils to be the same
and then whatever the ohm of one coil
divide that in half to get what you will have as your ohm reading with both coils installed

if you want more help
tell us what tank etc you are using besides the bellus
and what ohm the coil is for it

DanTe

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Wow...thanks Mattp a lot...appreciate you have time for all explanations;)

I have evic Vic mini...very satisfied with it...and that's my one and only device.

And for thanks I have my favorite Nautilus mini with 1.8 coils, Herakles Hydra with 1.8 ohm also and Ego one mega ( that came in kit with evic) with 0.4 ti and 0.2 ni...clr coils, 1ohm for ego one on their way :)

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
ok
based on what you use
I would suggest finding something that has a 2.5mm diameter to wrap coils on
get your self some 28 gauge kanthal to start with
I would run the bellus in single coil mode to start with
trying to get it to ohm at 1.8 with a dual coil is probably impossible
so stick with single coil to start with

with 28 gauge and 2.5mm ID you need 10 wraps to get around 1.8ohms

now even if you only manage to make a coil with 8 or 9 wraps you should be fine 8 wraps is about 1.4ohms which is not A HUGE dfference from 1.8 but it can handle more watts.and you may like it better. BUt try to aim for 10 wraps you first time if you can

start there
master your wicking
and experiment with coil placement (how high off the deck the coil is)
experiment with the airflow etc
get used too it
experiment with wattage....remember to always start low on watts and work your way up
then experiment from there
using steam to help you with ohms and number of wraps etc

good luck and have fun

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
For a tanks i always use a 3mm inner diameter, i just get better results that way (if space allows). I also always use at least a fused clapton. Some coils absorb juice into the coils themselves (fused claptons, aliens, etc) so they perform outstandingly in a tank. The idea is that you're only ever vaping the juice in the coils, not the juice in the wick. So the wicks just feed juice into the coils and never run dry. So if you're looking for a build i would definitely go with at least a fused clapton of some kind, i usually run dual-core aliens because they have peculiar juice wicking ability and they're a bit smaller than traditional (3-core) aliens so they cooperate better in a tank-type setting. You can use just regular plain wire, its just my experience that i run into dry hits that way.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
For a tanks i always use a 3mm inner diameter, i just get better results that way (if space allows). I also always use at least a fused clapton. Some coils absorb juice into the coils themselves (fused claptons, aliens, etc) so they perform outstandingly in a tank. The idea is that you're only ever vaping the juice in the coils, not the juice in the wick. So the wicks just feed juice into the coils and never run dry. So if you're looking for a build i would definitely go with at least a fused clapton of some kind, i usually run dual-core aliens because they have peculiar juice wicking ability and they're a bit smaller than traditional (3-core) aliens so they cooperate better in a tank-type setting. You can use just regular plain wire, its just my experience that i run into dry hits that way.
the op has never had an rta nor wrapped a coil
baby steps...
plus 3mm ID in a bellus is difficult for some to fit...especially a novice
plus fused claptons take some skill to make....otherwise you have to buy them premade

NOW is scarecrow wrong about flavor ....probably not. more advanced coils like fused claptons can often produce better flavor then a basic simple coil
but going from one thing ( the simple coils at 1.8 ohms that you are used to) to a completely different thing ( like a fused clapton) is a big jump
i suggest learning how to build an rta to be similar to what you are used to doing. WHat if you dont like fused claptons what if you cant fit one that is big enough to be at the ohm you want in a bellus?
so you have a base to start with.
Because theres more then just making a coil to get used when switching to RTAs.
yo have to learn wicking....which is trial and error even after watching EVERY YOUTUBE VIDEO ON THE SUBJECT AVAILABLE
you have to learn the airflow of teh particular RA...since you like MTL you have to even figure out if the bellus will even work for you in that capacity...which many say it does work just fine for them as a MTL RTA.
you have to learn that where you place teh coil can effect the flavor. By that I mean if you have teh wick lower to the deck or closer to the chimney or pushe dove rone way or another. becuase that can change how the airflow goes past the coils
SO build a coil similar to what you know figure all the other stuff out

THEN
start experimenting with advanced coils
even if you buy cheap premade UD coils or geekvape coils or stuff off ebay to try it out
or have someone like raymo2u custom build you fancy coils
or buy premade wire that all you have to do is wrap it
There is a w hole world out there...but we all need to start somewhere

DanTe

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Thanks Matt...sorry for my...inconsistent replies...I'm on and of with my job throughout whole day, so when I have time, I post...some sort of reply ;)

Your posts have been very helpful, since you explained me like to a little kid. That's what I needed. Other people are explaining...nicely and simple but with some "words" or abbreviations, they assume, that you know what they mean...which I don't.
You really broke it to a common speech.

As you can see, that deck is so tiny...what I think...that's the 1st rbd I have ever hold in my hand.
And that is a pre made coil that came with it and also you can see that silicone thing that closes other side of tank for 1 coil build.

DanTe

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
This looks like a great offer: Hm...can't post page from eBay...but you can check it: 100pcs Kanthal A1 Wire Coils 22/24/26/28/30/32AWG gauge RDA RTA Prebuilt Premade

But...it doesn't show ID of coils... ;) hehe...using pro terms.

Then there is this: http://www.vapordna.com/UD-Pre-build-Micro-Coil-p/pc0010.htm

But it also doesn't show ID...am I missing something?
It says it's a micro coil...do they have some standard ID?

Last edited:

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
ok let me try to explain some more things
RTA is what you have it means
Rebuilable Tank Atomizer
meaning it has a flass section to hold several milliliters of juice
RDA is Rebuildable Dripping atomizer. These have no tank. Just a place to build a coil and add some wick you have to drip more juice on teh coils and cotton every few puffs
then there is another term RBA which is Rebuildable Atomizer
this is a generic term and use din many many ways but IT NORMALLY refers to a special deck you can buy for a tank that has prebuilt coils The RBA section lets you build you own coils for that tank.

OK so some other important differences between a RTA and an RDA
RDAs are simpler and USUALLY have more build room for coils
BUt on an RTA you have all the things that allow it to have a tank which usually means less room for coils

SO the problem you are running into right now is you are seeing premade coils with no mention of ID
well thats because on an RDA you dont have to worry so much about it, but on RTAs you do. You can use those prebuilt coils on SOME RTAs, probably alot of them,But they are not going to try and guarantee you that it works with this particular RTA or that Particular RTA so they don't get in trouble

SO how can you figure out the ID
well go back to steam
try and count the wraps, and enter that and the gauge wire and you can keep changing the ID to get to the ohm the say the coil is
looking at the vapordna page makes that nearly impossible since that is a generic photo
YOur best bet if your trying to find premade coils is to ask the sellers about the IDs

Now what does micro coil mean
it is exactly like that premade coil looks like
usually 1 piece of wire where wraps are pushed together and are all touching

i would try making these yourself to get strated, they are not hard, just take a few tries for most people to get right
then to figure out if you like fancier coils

buy the premade wire not coils - plenty of premade clapton wire out there.
you can then wrap the wire to whatever diameter you want with as many or as few wraps as you like

then if you like that you can decide to keep buying spools or make it yourself or have people like raymo2u make coils especially for you and your rta

DanTe

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Ahaaa...thanks Matt...for that rda-rba-coil explanation.

Yeah, I was thinking to contact the seller about ID of their coils.

One of the issues I have...I have 3 tanks besides Bellus, and very satisfied with all of them...every one has a little bit different flavor and draw...and have coils for them and cleaning them in vodka, before they get ganked...I've been using 2 coils for nautilus mini for months...in rotation...and also a little bit of ego one...and recently I purchased Hydra and Bellus.
This is getting too long...

Issue is:
Since I don't have any coil building tools nor supplies...Should I spent money on that or buy, let's say, those 100 pre made coils (the price is $9)or similar ones and just cotton to wick them?

I'm using my tanks in rotation...like...1 day, one tank...next day,another one...like so. By doing that, if I buy those 100 coils...they will last me for years...and also considering,that, I'm stuck with that one type of coils.

If I want to make my own...I have to buy: wire, coil jig or whatever for ID for coils, pliers, tweezers, ohm reader ( as a stand for deck when making coils also)...I think that's all you need for coil making and not sure about the price for all of that...and that will give me more room to experiment with different types of coil builds....not counting cotton, since I need it whatever path I choose.

That's my head twister...

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Most people just start with a bit of wire and some cotton, wrap the wire round a drill bit or whatever else you have (little blue screwdriver :) ) and you can clip it with nail clippers, pinch it with pliers, read the ohms and do the build on your mod. People just buy all the other stuff later because they get obsessed with it and want to make better coils.

VU Sponsors