Become a Patron!

Some Older Smokers Turn to Vaping. That May Not Be a Bad Idea.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Refreshing and I hope smokers read it and take heart - but I do have a few quibbles, of course

"Would-be quitters can greatly increase their odds of success by using F.D.A.-approved nicotine replacement products, or a prescription drug like Chantix, and by seeking support from smoking cessation counselors or telephone quit lines like 1-800-NOBUTTS."

No if ands or butts, those methods did not increase my odds

Also, was a little chagrined at how they view dual-users

"Because even a few conventional cigarettes daily increase the risks of mortality and cardiovascular disease, “you’ll still get an adverse health effect,” Dr. King said."

WTF - I was a 2.5 PAD smoker - and dual used for a little over three years - and in that time my smoker's hack disappeared, liver spots on my hands disappeared, I was able to stop using prednisone - and was still smoking a pack a day, but my health greatly improved by cutting back to that

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Refreshing and I hope smokers read it and take heart - but I do have a few quibbles, of course

"Would-be quitters can greatly increase their odds of success by using F.D.A.-approved nicotine replacement products, or a prescription drug like Chantix, and by seeking support from smoking cessation counselors or telephone quit lines like 1-800-NOBUTTS."

No if ands or butts, those methods did not increase my odds

Also, was a little chagrined at how they view dual-users

"Because even a few conventional cigarettes daily increase the risks of mortality and cardiovascular disease, “you’ll still get an adverse health effect,” Dr. King said."

WTF - I was a 2.5 PAD smoker - and dual used for a little over three years - and in that time my smoker's hack disappeared, liver spots on my hands disappeared, I was able to stop using prednisone - and was still smoking a pack a day, but my health greatly improved by cutting back to that
Chantix shouldn't even be mentioned. That is my gripe. My friend used it and got super depressed. It has some awful side effects :(

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
The FDA approval of nicotine replacement products was designed to make them fail. Originally they were designed to be used together, patches and gum. Someone realized they worked too well together so decided to split them up (learned from a tobacco cessation class, and the instructor all But said "vaping works the best but I'm not allowed to mention it because it's not FDA APPROVED" ugh those jerks

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
"There’s “no conclusive evidence” that e-cigarettes help people stop smoking long-term, said Brian King, deputy director of the C.D.C.’s Office of Smoking and Health."

BULLSHITERY!

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Some commentary on snippets from this article.
People over age 65 have always been less likely to smoke than adults in general in part because premature death means fewer smokers survive to older ages.
Maybe, but also because those who were able to quit using conventional means have already done so.

Some studies have estimated that e-cigarettes confer at least a two-thirds reduction in health risks, compared with smoking.
"At least two-thirds" is certainly true, but wow, what under-statement.

“I’m not quitting smoking, I’m just trying this newfangled thing,” she told herself. “Three days later, I realized I hadn’t smoked a cigarette in three days. I thought, ‘This is working out kind of nice. Quitting is not supposed to be this easy.’”
This parallels my own experience 4 years ago almost exactly.

“We know what works,” said Dr. King of the C.D.C. “We have 50 years of science showing what works.”
None of that worked for me, Dr. King.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Patches don't do anything at all except itch, and cause extreme psychosis in those who aren't terribly dependent on nicotine but are extremely dependent on MAOIs... oh, and heart palpitations.

I can't chew gum, period.

I asked my doctor years ago for a prescription for the Nicotrol inhaler, as I thought that seemed far more likely to be effective. He replied that because of my asthma, he was legally unable to prescribe that for me. I said, "So the FDA would rather I kept smoking, than used something that might actually help me quit, but might bother my asthma?" He just shrugged and said his hands were tied. Which was all I needed to know, to know that the FDA REALLY DOESN'T WANT ANYONE TO QUIT SMOKING. They just want to give the IMPRESSION that they're anti-smoking, hence approving all that shit that doesn't work at all for 90% of those who try it. It had to wait for vaping, which requires NO prescription, for me to find something that actually worked.

And like the lady quoted above... I had no intention whatsoever of quitting smoking; I merely sought something I could use indoors when the weather was too cold to be hanging out on the front porch. It came as a complete and total surprise to me how good a substitute vaping is for smoking, and could even enable me to gradually transition and quit altogether, rather than having to drop cigarettes like a hot rock as you have to do with patches.

My own doctor is aware of how poorly "approved NRT" works for the majority of those who try it, and is nothing but supportive of ANYTHING that can help someone quit and STAY QUIT -- his words: "ANYTHING is better than smoking."

So all those bought-and-paid-for docs can continue spouting the Party Line all they like; it's bullshit that they have to be PAID to say, since it's TOTAL BULLSHIT. We know it, and most of them probably do too -- but they looooooooooove that money!!!!!!! So to hell with the health of those they're ostensibly responsible for -- all they care about is MONEY.

Qui bono.

Andria

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
We know what works,” said Dr. King of the C.D.C. “We have 50 years of science showing what works.”

LOL fuddy duddy. Ecigs have not been around 50 years. Around 10 for a viable option, and around 5 for the masses.

Medical luddites are some of the worst.

VU Sponsors