Become a Patron!

Some questions I have about charging my mod

Recently I have picked up an AL85 kit with the baby beast as an upgrade from my iJust 2. After watching some videos of people's vape pens blowing up in their face I've started to second guess using the charger that came with my phone. I was wondering if it is damaging my battery or something, the Samsung wall adapter I have is rated for 2 amps output. I know it would a good idea to buy an external charger for my LG HG2 battery, but it is only 1 battery in my mod so I figured it would be fine and saved $20.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
You can buy a quality 1 bay charger from Efest, Nitecore or even Xtar for around $10.

Buy one more battery and you will never be without the power you need to vape with..Nothing sucks more than not being able to vape when you want (need) it.

Invest the money..its a very long term investment and worth every penny.

I think I'm gonna be buying that charger that night shark mentioned. Back to my original question is it safe to use the charger that came with my phone?

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It is worth buying an external charger just so you can have a spare battery or two charging while using your mod- then you never will be out of power and not able to vape.

The Samsung chargers are good quality, and the 2A output is fine. If the mod charges at 1A, it will just draw this from the charger. If you used a charger rated under, at say 0.5A, this is when issues could occur with lower quality chargers overheating as more current is drawn from them than should be.

I would get a 2 or 4 bay charger so you have enough slots for the future, and a couple of spare batteries.
The Nitecore chargers also charge other chemistry batteries, and have saved me a fortune switching from standard AA batteries to rechargeable.

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I think I'm gonna be buying that charger that night shark mentioned. Back to my original question is it safe to use the charger that came with my phone?

That isn't a charger - it's a power supply for the charger built into your cell phone. And yes - at a 2 amp output it's more than adequate to use with your e-cig gear.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes..... provided the output is less than 2ohms. 1ohm to .5 ohm would be best for the battery. ...... look at fine print on charger... should say output volts and amps.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes..... provided the output is less than 2ohms. 1ohm to .5 ohm would be best for the battery. ...... look at fine print on charger... should say output volts and amps.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
Sorry to be picky, but with a charger/adapter you should always make sure it can provide at least what the device needs amp wise, never less- more is OK, as the device will just draw what it needs, but with some adapters less can be bad, as the device tries to draw more than what the adapter can output, potentially overheating it and causing a fire.

Voltage should always be matched though, exactly whenever possible- much higher voltage than required will quickly fry whatever electronics you have connected to it, while too low it will either cause the device to not work, or incorrectly.

EDIT: Here is a little guide for anyone unsure if they can use a certain adapter or not that I thought was simple and well written, and handy not just for USB type adapters as we are using here https://askleo.com/can_i_use_a_charger_that_provides_the_same_voltage_but_a_different_amperage/

Last edited:

VU Sponsors