Become a Patron!

Someone please explain coil types to me

Savage_46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I keep reading about all these different coil builds. What's the difference between micro & macro? I think there's a 3rd type I keep seeing too. What are the pros & cons of each. I'm used to genny 3 - 4 wraps evenly spaced out.

jae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There's a massive variety of coil builds. Micro more or less signifies that the coil wraps touch throughout. Some people say they're smaller in diameter, but i think of nano when i think of a micro coil with a tiny diameter. Macro coils are just larger coils with space between the wraps, as i understand it anyway.

Many of the other types are novelty builds and speciality designs for limited practical application. They're often more decorative than useful, but some vapers swear by their favorites. Of course some are also very practical with great utility, although sometimes for very specific purposes, such as for a particular atty, where the available space is very idiosyncratic or limited by the structure of the device.

I predict that in a few years, there will be college courses on this stuff!

nano is 1.4mm or below diameter, usually

micro would be I guess a 2mm coil which is what I typically use

Ive made some 2.4mm diameter coils, and tried some 3mm ones on a friends build.....I think I prefer the 2mm ones tho'. I use that in Protank Mini rebuilds, in my Kayfun tank, and in my drippers - Magma and Caterpillar RDAs

As long as you arent choking the coil with wick they are pretty much going to behave the same, as far as I can tell. More coil area exposed to airflow in a dripper will help cool the vapor, and at .2 or .4 (.4 is what i typically build for a dripper) it helps a LOT.

I am also careful not to cover the coil in wick, I expose as much coil as I can to airflow in the RDAs.

mike_getz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
micro coil was the original term for what should properly be referred to as a contact coil - where the coils actually touch.
people started calling micros with a ID smaller than 1mm nano coils.
people then started calling micros with a ID larger than 2mm macro coils.

then there was twisted wire ... i've seen 2x and 3x in a variety of gauges ... probably some people doing more ...
then people started twisting silly things, like wires with different gauges and profiles ... and they all look like cheesegraters to me.
i am leaning towards low Ω spaced coils lately - i wrap them around machine screws (pieter k method) to get them perfectly spaced with minimal effort, usually vertically oriented, and wick with cotton. they seem to heat faster, cool faster, and the spacing keeps the wick from drying and scorching as much.
i like contact coils in higher resistance applications on regulated devices - my 1.8Ω rsst vertical micro with cotton wick runs on my mamu max @ 15.5 w all day ... i vape easily 8ml a day thru it.

tick22

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ok, but for a normal use coil, no tricks, not sub ohmning, which one works best with either cotton, silca or rayon.
I know, to each their own but what is the basic good multi use coil?????

chris damron

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ok, but for a normal use coil, no tricks, not sub ohmning, which one works best with either cotton, silca or rayon.
Standard micro coil for me. If you're wanting to stay above 1 ohm, I recommend 8-10 wraps of 28g around a 1mm drill bit or something equal. Usually comes out to around 1.1-1.3 ohms for me. This works perfect on regulated stuff for me.

Savage_46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Good info guys, thank you. Guess I'll have to buy some different gauges & play around. I've only got 32 for now. Thinking about getting 30 & 28, maybe some ribbon too

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I always considered a micro coil around the range of 2mm with the coil compressed. Apparently I was wrong. From what I have read micro coils are like 1.2mm - 1.6mm. Over 1.6mm is considered a macro coil. Then there is nano coils which are smaller. Who the hell knows. LOL Of course you get into the exotic builds which I don't bother with. KISS (keep it simple stupid).

Reactions: jae

mike_getz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Good info guys, thank you. Guess I'll have to buy some different gauges & play around. I've only got 32 for now. Thinking about getting 30 & 28, maybe some ribbon too

skip the 30 unless you are rebuilding protank heads ... get some 26 and 28.
flat wire is ok on gennies ... but imho useless for drippers.

mike_getz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
in my rsst i run a 2.4mm ID vertical micro, 28g 9-12 wraps, 1.8-2.1Ω, with a cotton wick into the tank, 15w on a dna20 box all day. 8-10 ml a day thru it. i get 2-3 weeks out of a coil, change wick every couple of days.

for a good all day silica/eko build, use 28g on a 8-32 machine screw, about 10 wraps, tighten it in place in your atty still on the screw. gently remove screw by unscrewing it, dry fire a couple times and let cool to set the coil in place, then "screw" some 2mm hollow eko through it, and tuck the ends under the coil. you can dry burn the fuck out of it, even lightly torch it, and switch juices in a matter of minutes. keep it clean, it can last for months.

I would suggest a ohm meter and if you have a smart phone try a app like vapers toolbox. This way no matter what coil you buil youll have a way of measuring your resistance.

tick22

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks, got the ohn meter but have an older dumb phone.
anyone PIFing a smart phone?????? :rolleyes:

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I have a "DumbAss Phone".

It is built to MilSpec and I can't break it (and I have tried).

I wish they had the Vapers Toolbox for PC!

tick22

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have a "DumbAss Phone".

It is built to MilSpec and I can't break it (and I have tried).

I wish they had the Vapers Toolbox for PC!

Now that would be nice for us dumb phone owners that do have a puter....

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
This does pretty much the same thing the app does.

May the Good Lord Bless You kind sir!

Or as Johnie Carson might have said.

"May A Sick Yak Leave a Gift in your Sock Drawer".

Your pick, I suggest the first one!

But a sincere thank you all the same!

VU Sponsors