wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
I dont agree with this. The CONTINUOUS discharge on the 35A Efests is 20A (I thought). The Sony's are 30A continuous. Plus, the Sony's hit waaay harder than the Efests IMO. No way they are the same battery...
I agree the sony's hit way harder at first but my efest always last longer. I dont have the vtc5 tho. I want to get some . I love the sonys

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks guys picked up some 28 gauge today.
Good deal, man. Do some reading, get that multimeter, and once you've mastered your basic battery knowledge give some of those crazy-low builds another shot!

The only other question I'm noticing that no one has addressed was about juice strength - with a low-ohm dual coil build on a dripper, you're going to burn through a lot more juice than you would if you started off vape life using a clearomizer with something like a 2.5 ohm coil. For that reason, if you were used to 18mg juice on a tank setup you might vape three times as much with your RDA, so 6mg would result in about the same nic consumption. I started at 18, then dropped to 12, now I'm mostly using 6 and (when I can find it) 3 as my mech sees probably as much use as my regulated, tanked devices.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I agree the sony's hit way harder at first but my efest always last longer. I dont have the vtc5 tho. I want to get some . I love the sonys
That would make sense - Efest purples are 2500 mah, Sony VTC3's are only 1600 mah, 4's 2100 mah. If you get the 5's, they should last about as long as the Efests.

Superjeep

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Good deal, man. Do some reading, get that multimeter, and once you've mastered your basic battery knowledge give some of those crazy-low builds another shot!

The only other question I'm noticing that no one has addressed was about juice strength - with a low-ohm dual coil build on a dripper, you're going to burn through a lot more juice than you would if you started off vape life using a clearomizer with something like a 2.5 ohm coil. For that reason, if you were used to 18mg juice on a tank setup you might vape three times as much with your RDA, so 6mg would result in about the same nic consumption. I started at 18, then dropped to 12, now I'm mostly using 6 and (when I can find it) 3 as my mech sees probably as much use as my regulated, tanked devices.

My nic rule is pretty simple and I tell new vapers this all the time. Vape whatever nic level satisfy's you. I usually tell new vapers to start between 18-24mg and go from there because if you smoked reds or even standard lights 10mg probably will not scratch that itch. You really almost wanna over nic the first month so your mind does not turn to smokes.

I simply try to get my nic level to one notch lower than would normally get me "nic drunk" where ya feel super wired and shaky. Nic at the levels we intake is no harm to you unless you have a medical condition or blood flow problem. I put it on the same level as caffeine.

ODDave is very correct though once you start getting good with rebuildables you will find they are much more efficient at nic delivery. I am at about 8mg right now and could very easily go down to 6 and probably not notice a difference. DIY and RBA's can really spare your wallet some pain once you make the initial investment and get a couple good setups and a few all day vapes.

vinnyvapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

I was told on that .3 ohm build not to use over 6mg strength nicotine

not2coolguy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I started at 18mg in my protanks and other clearomizers. My first RBA was a kayfun lite plus black edition and being able to build lower and better vapor production I cut it down to 12mg. Now that I strictly sub ohm on RDAs I have cut down to 6mg. It gives me the same feeling probably because I am actually consuming the same amount of nic in much bigger clouds.

vinnyvapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Will a ohm reader let no if I have a short somewhere?

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My understanding is that if you have a short somewhere in your atty, the ohm checker won't give you a reading. But once again, you also need a multimeter, which will let you check out the mod with the atty installed.

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I was told on that .3 ohm build not to use over 6mg strength nicotine

6mg is the standard answer you are going to see for sub-ohming and if it works for you GREAT! I still use 18mg on my 0.2 ohm builds, but I definitely am not a normal vaporer. It's just as subjective as flavor (within reason of course!). Start out lower and increase the strength until you get that satisfied nic fix. If that's accomplished at 0-6mgs, stay there! Only you know what will satisfy you and your cravings. I highly encourage you to explore all aspects of the vaping experience, SAFELY. And in all aspects of the vaping experience, I encourage you to start low and slow, learn what you're doing, and then hit it as HARD as you feel the need! Your body and experience will tell you when you are at the right levels of nic, vapor, power, etc.... And remember, the only dumb question is the one that you didn't ask, and end up blowing off your face because of it!

vinnyvapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Anybody no of a good solution to get my brass mod and my copper mod back to looking shiny. Stuff is starting to patina.

Superjeep

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Depends on how tarnished it is. For a mild polish toothpaste or equal parts water and white vinegar and some flour. Any more thqan that and you really need to buff it out on a wheel unless someone knows something else.

Superjeep

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Something I just saw fatdaddyvapes also sells a imitation buckskin polishing cloth he special orders thats 10"x10" for $5 which is a pretty good deal to keep it shiny. I actually might even buy one of those cuz usually the ones you can buy are much smaller than that. This is something you would use once a week to keep the shine and stop oxidation from forming. Handy little cloth really.

vinnyvapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hey guys I just got a authentic tugboat atty. and I am getting a metallic taste when I vape. Not sure if it because I didn't clean it at all I just built my coils. Or it's something else I changed the cotton and used 2 different juices still same taste. Any help would be great. How do I clean my attys in water or rubbing alcohol? What could be the issue here. Thanks in advance.

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hey guys I just got a authentic tugboat atty. and I am getting a metallic taste when I vape. Not sure if it because I didn't clean it at all I just built my coils. Or it's something else I changed the cotton and used 2 different juices still same taste. Any help would be great. How do I clean my attys in water or rubbing alcohol? What could be the issue here. Thanks in advance.
Do not use rubbing alcohol on your attys. Rubbing alcohol leaves a film behind that can flavor your vaping and produce unwanted chemicals. Use Ethyl alcohol (ethanol, ETOH) which we use for drinking. You can place your atty in a small glass of 90 proof vodka over night. Take it out in the morning and dry it off. Rewick it and see if that takes care of the metallic taste. I ALWAYS recommend that you wash your new toppers prior to the first use due to the possibility of left over machining oils from the manufacturing process. Many manufacturers do not thoroughly wash/rinse the devices prior to shipping. Even the ones that do, may miss something. These oils can not only give you a bad flavor, but can be extremely toxic also!

vinnyvapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
What else would cause this mettalic taste.

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I can put the whole atty in
Just take the wicks out and drop it in. It won't hurt the coils and shouldn't affect the o-rings. I would take the cap off and put it in the glass also just to make sure you get all contact areas clean.

And as far as what else can cause the metallic taste, I guess that depends on what material the clone is made out of. Do you know the alloys used? Is it a cromed finish?

vinnyvapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Does it have to be 90 proof vodka can it be 70

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
OOOPs, sorry! You did point that out in your previous post. I don't have an authentic, sooooooooo.....Anybody else have a suggestion that has an authentic?

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
70 proof would be fine. It's just that the stronger the alcohol, the faster it will clean it. Alcohol acts as a solvent when cleaning.

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You don't have to. But if you do, just make sure that you clean the o-ring(s) really well also before reinstalling. If the atty still has machining oil on it, then so do they. You could also use a small soft toothbrush and the alcohol to clean it without soaking. Or, use the toothbrush and alcohol and then still let it soak over night. If you are using the same Kanthal and wicking that you have used on other builds without a metallic flavor, then I suggest it's not the coils or wick material. The only thing left is the atty. Since it is an authentic Tugboat, I don't believe the materials it's made of are degrading and causing the flavor. That only leaves some type of contaminate on the atty itself. Clean the atty really well, let it soak, and see what happens.

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well, lets take a look at that. What are you using? Kanthal, Nicrome, G-Plat, Royal?????? You didn't say if the wire you are using is the same as previous builds or not. Where did you buy the wire from? There are a couple threads that are saying Kanthal from dubious sources may contain inferior grade materials (I.E.: purchased from E-Bay or other cheap sources). I personally only buy directly from Temco. If you have some other wire around, try putting a coil in with that and see if you get the same results. You still have to clean the atty first before you do anything else!

vinnyvapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It's kanthal a1 it from a good vape store. Came in this cool brown box. Lol just order some from kidney puncher also.

vinnyvapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
What about hot spot or hot legs. Don't think I have any but could that cause it.

vinnyvapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I also use a torch while making my coils to torch the wire.

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I also use a torch while making my coils to torch the wire.
Does the coil glow evenly from the inside to the outside of the coil as you fire it? do you notice glowing on the legs? If you have tuned the coil before wicking, it shouldn't be hot legs or spots. Plus, hot spots and legs usually gives a burnt flavor instead of a metallic.

vinnyvapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I am using ketal 1 80 proof aclcohol to clean my atty I am going to leave it over night hopefully is works.

Taylor

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I don't know if my information is correct but I was told from the owner of my local vape shop who is very knowledgeable that the vtc5 aren't meant for mechanical mods, he said they are top of the line batteries and work excellent in regulated pieces but to use vtc4's in the mechanical mods.

Like I said this is just what I was told and I'm no expert on batteries but may this information will help or someone can set me straight.

Taylor

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Like I said that's what I heard from a knowledgeable source but that doesn't mean he's always right. But the way I see it if there any question about it I'd just stick to the safe route and run the vtc4's since they are good and definitely approved for mechanical mods

vinnyvapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
ehujebat.jpg

Anyone else sony battery does this. You see the black spots on the battery.

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yep Vinny, it's common with the translucent covering on the VTC series of batteries. Moisture or e-juice can get under the wrapper and cause the spots. As long as the wrapper is not damaged in any way, it should be good to go!

vinnyvapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So is what that guy said above the vtc5 Sonys are not safe to use ?

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The VTC-4 and VTC-5's are IMHO the safest batteries to use in a mech. They both have the 30 amp continuous drain limit and are almost identical in their performance! There was some talk of a slightly higher voltage drop with the VTC-5 compared to the VTC-4 when using </=0.2 ohm builds. I haven't noticed that in my 0.2 ohm builds and both the 4's and 5's hit the same. The 5's just have more stored energy for longer battery life between charges. I currently am running 4 VTC-4's and 4 VTC-5's in all my devices. I prefer the VTC-5's for my RDA's and use the VTC-4's for my RBA's and other toppers. I do not know where the store owner gets his information, but the spec sheets, other supporting documentation, and personal experience suggests that the store owner is wrong in his statement. You will find testimony after testimony about how well the VTC-5's work in mech mods. I have never seen any documentation or opinion to discount the proven track record of the VTC-5's in a mech. If somebody has that information, I would love to see it for myself and verify the documents' resources for it's standing. Otherwise, I still ALWAYS suggest the VTC-4's or VTC-5's interchangeably.

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Also @vinnyvapes, how did soaking the atty do? Did it fix the flavor?

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The best and highest level of ethanol you can get is Everclear 95% alcohol (190 proof) I use it on all my stuff to clean
check your liquor store in some areas of the United states its illegal but not here in Texas Vodka will work as well but it also leaves a film behind
as its alcohol content is only around 45% approx depending... Hope this helps

vinnyvapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have it still in there until tomorrow. I will build a new coil on sat. I'll let u no.

VU Sponsors