Become a Patron!

SOS: Vapor setting off (photoelectric?) smoke detector

damndirtyvapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
We rent, our smoke detectors are hardwired in, and city ordinance requires one in our bedroom. They were installed two weeks ago.

I believe it's photoelectric and goes off on particles. This is disastrous.

We keep the windows open and blow out. I vape at high power and even when I'm not cloud chasing, most of my devices put out a lot. Blowing out the window is not always enough and won't be an option come winter.

So far our best idea has been to get a $10 portable, battery operated fan and something sticky to adhere it to the wall and blow towards the detector. But we vape a lot, would have to have that fan going a lot, and the cost of batteries will add up.

That may be our best bet, but that's why I'm asking. This is making my living space unlivable and my indoor vaping unenjoyable.

TIA.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Can you not put a shower cap over it?

I thought the photoelectric ones weren't supposed to be set off with steam (like the old ones that would go off if the shower steam got to them), so it may be that vapor doesn't set it off. But not sure about that!

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Ionization smoke alarms are generally more responsive to flaming fires.
How they work: Ionization-type smoke alarms have a small amount of radioactive material between two electrically charged plates, which ionizes the air and causes current to flow between the plates. When smoke enters the chamber, it disrupts the flow of ions, thus reducing the flow of current and activating the alarm. Download this chart on ionization smoke alarms (PDF, 943 KB).

Photoelectric smoke alarms are generally more responsive to fires that begin with a long period of smoldering (called “smoldering fires”).
How they work: Photoelectric-type alarms aim a light source into a sensing chamber at an angle away from the sensor. Smoke enters the chamber, reflecting light onto the light sensor; triggering the alarm. Download this chart on photoelectric smoke alarms (PDF, 782 KB).

damndirtyvapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
It's definitely photoelectric, we checked the model number.

I don't think shower caps work with photoelectrics.

We did get a fan but didn't work and was too heavy to be mounted to the wall (at the moment; we can get stronger fasteners if we think it will do the trick but seems unlikely).

It's definitely the vapor; there's a direct correlation between when it goes off and when we've just taken a puff. Mind you, this is happening with insanely low levels of vapor, not crazy irresponsible (with regards to the alarm) room-fogging.

They're hardwired so we can't temporarily remove it just to have a session or an enjoyable evening.

In some cases building codes require a certain type of alarm (i.e. photoelectric over ionization) so we may be SOL, but this is not a living environment conducive to how I live.

I may just need a talk with the landlord, but in that case I have to make sure I'm very careful with how I phrase things and what I claim is causing the issue. Not that vaping is strictly disallowed in print, just no sense pushing that matter.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Don't vape near them?
Direct exhale away from them?
Go outside?

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Keep the Vape out of the Smoke Detector and should not be a problem. Like Amanda suggested a shower cap to seal off the air intake vents to the detector. I have an Ionization Smoke detector right outside my office here and I tested it by blowing vape fog right through it without setting it off.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Forget securing it to the wall and stand this type of fan under or aimed at the smoke detector.

x652299_03.jpg

damndirtyvapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
We have a giant high velocity fan. Doesn't stop it. I mean, I appreciate the advice but seems like the answer is that the model is too sensitive. We are doing everything we can to avoid the problem, but going out every time I want a vape in my living space, rented or not, is not an option. period.

I will need to talk to the landlord.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
If you have a High Velocity Fan why would you be farting around with a $10 battery operated fan in the first place?

damndirtyvapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Because it's not stopping the smoke detector from going off? seems pretty clear. unlike a large high velocity fan, a little dinky 10 dollar fan has a smaller, more concentrated airflow for a purpose like this, even if the flow is far less.

Whether or not you think a big fan should work, it's not working. So we need another solution.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I high velocity fan will move more cubic feet of air than any $10 fan.

Good Luck

Waltheraustin

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yea, I got one in my bedroom so sneaking around the kids is hard. I usually just go in the bathroom now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catalyst

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If the shower cap idea does not work, you can duct tape the hell out of it. Airtight. But also bear in mind that if one day you need it to do the job it was intended for, it won't come through for you. Scary thought.
It is for this reason that I don't vape a few of my atties indoors. VCMT, Mutation, Kennedy. I step it down (just a little bit) by running my "Circa 2015" rta's inside. Silverplay V2, Bellus, Billow V2. Each around .25 @ 70 watts. Never a problem unless I'm standing within 4 or 5 feet of the alarms...

Droogbc

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You could also remove it from the wall and unplug it. Kinda defeats the purpose though.

eggymaniac

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Since there isn't a battery to be taken out, though you don't seem to be opposed to the idea if that were possible, then you are still left with a few options.

First, you can twist the detector off the frame and simply unscrew the pig tail connector apart for when you want it to be non-active, but don't forget to twist it back later. Simplest thing to do and no one would be none the wiser.

Or, you could find out which breaker/fuse it is wired to in the panel and disable that particular power source if it is not in line with something else you need power for.

Not endorsing or recommending any of these methods..this is for testing purposes only for when the detector doesn't work to check if the wires are hot.

Last edited:

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The one in my Apartment is so sensitive a fart would set it off. It no kidding would go off every time I cooked, no not because I was burning anything or cooking with a lot of grease and I always had the kitchen stove fan on. I disabled it long ago, I say disable it.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

scalewiz

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Another vote to disable. Go out and buy an ionization type detector and fasten it up right next to the other one. If the landlord ever would ask, just say that damn thing was no good, kept going off for no good reason, so to be safe you replaced it.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I would check with local codes before doing anything like that as many States and Local Jurisdictions have serious penalties for Fire and Burglar Alarm Code Violations. Especially is public or commercial locations.

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I stay at my mom and dads house 1 or twice a week when I have to work in their area and I've set the smoke detector off in the guest room more than once. The solution is a fan.

lordmage

The Sky has Fallen. the End is Here.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
i would advise to not tamper with it some alarm systems are hard wired in a closed loop and doing anything will cause an alarm to go off. someone sent and they would find out it was tampered with. best case scenario call your landlord and ask them to look at its sensitivity because anything is setting it off. aka a fart.

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Get a square box fan and turn it backwards in the window so it sucks (blows) out and blow vapor in to the fan.

VU Sponsors