Source for TI?

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've been looking around for a good (reasonably priced) place for TI wire. I understand grade 1 is what to use in temp control devices, correct? All I'm really coming across is "Spider Silk". At $15 for 15' + shipping, I was wondering if there was another source for TI wire that's safe for vaping (yes I have read about the horrible things released when ti wire reaches a certain temp, by safe I mean what others have used without issue in their temp control devices)? Wish Lightning Vapes carried some...

MEENMAN83

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I bought a 10' spool for $9 bucks back in Jan. on ebay from a resistance wire company named master of clouds but they dont sell it anymore sadly. I loved it but ran out and its easier to use than nickel. Sorry I didn't help much brother.

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Feeling like most vendors are steering clear of it for health reasons...

rt smith

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
i quess i am lost..... what do you mean by vendors staying away from wire for health reasons?

rt smith

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
thank you, i dare say it is saftey first then health reasons.....

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
thank you, i dare say it is saftey first then health reasons.....
But ran on a temp control mod, I wouldn't think there'd be an issue. You put a ni200 build on a mech there's a danger there too. It's all about risk assessment. Just like dikeatones, or vaping 200w+. I feel like "spider silk" has the market cornered, I don't like it. That's far too expensive imo. Especially, for a person who primarily purchase from lightning vapes.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I think Lightning Vapes is planning on stocking it, I'll check...

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
But ran on a temp control mod, I wouldn't think there'd be an issue. You put a ni200 build on a mech there's a danger there too. It's all about risk assessment. Just like dikeatones, or vaping 200w+. I feel like "spider silk" has the market cornered, I don't like it. That's far too expensive imo. Especially, for a person who primarily purchase from lightning vapes.
Nichrome used to be the goto wire, then people got freaked out about it and went to Kanthal.

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Nichrome used to be the goto wire, then people got freaked out about it and went to Kanthal.
There was a big ordeal about gplat too. I believe it was over magnesium? Which is in kanthal as well. Same with wicking material.
But nichrome is still wildly available. I seen a roll on Amazon but someone said it wasn't grade 1 and turned white.

MEENMAN83

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Wire has changed constantly. The witch burners are the same people that used to buy/use/sell 510 drip atties that required you to cut up fish tank filter back in 2010 lol. So times have slightly changed, from one trend to another.

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Wire has changed constantly. The witch burners are the same people that used to buy/use/sell 510 drip atties that required you to cut up fish tank filter back in 2010 lol. So times have slightly changed, from one trend to another.
As I'm sure they will continue to.

mstave

Member For 4 Years
I have used TI wire from Unkamen - it's acid etched and needs to be cleaned, but after that no problem with building and vaping. Just bought some wire from this site in the UK http://www.vape-atomizer-mesh.com. Approx. $5 for 33ft. Hasn't arrived yet so we shall see. The Spider silk stuff from Vape Envy is expensive but extremely clean and slickly packaged.

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have used TI wire from Unkamen - it's acid etched and needs to be cleaned, but after that no problem with building and vaping. Just bought some wire from this site in the UK http://www.vape-atomizer-mesh.com. Approx. $5 for 33ft. Hasn't arrived yet so we shall see. The Spider silk stuff from Vape Envy is expensive but extremely clean and slickly packaged.
How do you clean it? Soap and water? Alcohol? Another way?

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
A cotton ball soaked in lemon juice, scrub the wire the whole length. The acid in the lemon juice will remove any oils or oxides from the wire. Rinse with water and dry with a paper towel. You can also do it with vinegar.

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
A cotton ball soaked in lemon juice, scrub the wire the whole length. The acid in the lemon juice will remove any oils or oxides from the wire. Rinse with water and dry with a paper towel. You can also do it with vinegar.
Awesome, thanks dude!

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Thanks! I bought it on the recommendation of someone at the Other Place, but I didn't even notice it was acid etched - duh! I would have bought the Ti from Rio Grande, but it looked as if they were going to take forever to ship.

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
As a reminder to everyone reading this thread, don't dry burn the coil or use a torch to temper/soften the wire. Titanium will catch fire and burn, just like Magnesium does. It will not do that in a TC mod, the temps are way, way below the ignition point of the wire. So far the best type of coil in my opinion is a equally spaced one, not a micro/macro touching coil.

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks to both of you for the help!

mstave

Member For 4 Years
How do you clean it? Soap and water? Alcohol? Another way?

I use soap and hot water, followed by an alcohol rub, then test on clean cloth for streaks. I like the lemon juice idea though, gonna try that. Turned out the Spider Silk was very dirty and took a bunch of cleaning - strange since they sell it as ultra clean. Last order from me! Take the warning against dry burning seriously, taking the temp up to glowing produces oxides that you don;t want.

To get off all oils etc that get on the coil as I coil it, I set the temp on my mod (remember to set it at about 58% of a reasonable temp - say 58% of 460 or about 265, and then pulse the firing button (quick pulses) looking for hot spots or legs (common with claptoned or twisted wire), adjust a bit, until mod reads "dry coil", then wick up and juice. Works great for me.

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I use soap and hot water, followed by an alcohol rub, then test on clean cloth for streaks. I like the lemon juice idea though, gonna try that. Turned out the Spider Silk was very dirty and took a bunch of cleaning - strange since they sell it as ultra clean. Last order from me! Take the warning against dry burning seriously, taking the temp up to glowing produces oxides that you don;t want.

To get off all oils etc that get on the coil as I coil it, I set the temp on my mod (remember to set it at about 58% of a reasonable temp - say 58% of 460 or about 265, and then pulse the firing button (quick pulses) looking for hot spots or legs (common with claptoned or twisted wire), adjust a bit, until mod reads "dry coil", then wick up and juice. Works great for me.
Should the same be done with ni200 to find hot spots? I know titanium will combust, but read it's not good to pulse ni200 to glowing either. And I'm certain I have hot spots in my coil, one section seems to be getting more residue than others. And my ni200 coils aren't perfectly spaced, I'm new to temp control and when I started building I was doing contact coils, micro/macro coils with kanthal so hot spots where easy to identify

I have an evic VT, doesn't say "dry coil".

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I never pulse my Ni builds. If you space them apart they should be fine (no hot spots)! I also don't plan to pulse the TI!

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I never pulse my Ni builds. If you space them apart they should be fine (no hot spots)! I also don't plan to pulse the TI!
I think that's my problem, I just looked and it does seem a few are extremely close or touching think I'm going to try wrapping on a screw for even spaced wraps

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think that's my problem, I just looked and it does seem a few are extremely close or touching think I'm going to try wrapping on a screw for even spaced wraps

I do sometimes use the coilmaster, or just a 3mm drill bit (it's a bit bigger). Using the coil master works well - just wrap, then pull the coil apart while it's on the mandrel.

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Maybe that's the ticket, wrap like micro then pull it apart! I've been trying to space the wraps while wrapping

GEORGE DAVIS

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Screen Shot 2015-06-22 at 12.59.44 PM.png https://www.etsy.com/listing/74698735/pure-titanium-wire-100-guarantee?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_low-craft_supplies_and_tools-jewelry_and_beading_supplies-findings_and_hardware&utm_custom1=ccfd5556-143c-4457-acf2-bebe60fd98e6&kpid=74698735&gclid=CjwKEAjwkcWrBRDg5u6SuPS11C0SJAChLLAHxHsefsiCboSpaDX7HPHOYNJZg1oSAslYLO6FOCyTxhoCEe7w_wcB
Right here. I've been buying from him for months $10 for 40 feet of 28 gauge and he has every gauge you could want. Spider silk is bullshit. His is 99.6% pure. It's acid etched but if that concerns you wash it and rub it with iso, that's literally the only difference with spider silk.

VU Sponsors