Become a Patron!

Sparks Flying?

I've actually been vaping for about a year and a half but just recently got into Mech Mods and dripping.

My current rig is a Fuhattan (Manhattan Clone) and a Plume Veil clone RDA. Anyways I had dual parallel coils for a few days and loved it but one was firing faster than the other so i scrapped them and actually just built them again. 24 g Kanthal 5 wraps and it was firing great out f the gate, then i put the cap on the plume veil and all the sudden the button on the bottom of the Manhattan clone got really flipping hot and burned me a little so i used pressure to fire it on a glass table and and a few sparks actually flew out from the bottom, so i took the battery out and let it cool off and now it hits normal again. I am just curious as to what might have caused this and how to prevent it.

Thanks guys, Vape on!

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You might try posting this question in another place like the New Builder's Corner, so people with more experience might see the post. I do know one thing, you want to get to the bottom of this and find out what the deal is. Some good clear closeup pictures of your build wouldn't hurt either.

Hope you get it figured out

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Coils shorting against the cap is the most likely cause. Remember, the entire outside of your rig, from drip tip (assuming it is metal) to base of the mod is the negative part of the circuit. Also double check the insulator(s) on your centre post. A missing, cracked, improperly seated insulator can cause a dead short. Also make sure that your escapade did not damage said insulator(s).

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Oh, and welcome to "The Brotherhood Of The Glowing Tube". We also have a chapter called "The Brotherhood Of The Branded Lip". I belong to both.

Seanchai

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yup, sounds like you had a short somewhere. Since it came and went, the most likely scenario is that one of your coils shifted position slightly and shorted against the cap, as franciscan says.However, in the event of a short, the safe thing to do is to break down the whole mod so that you can check each piece individually. Make sure everything is clean, clean, clean (including the inside of the switch assembly - careful with those magnets), and, as franciscan says, check your insulators on your plume veil too.

The best defense against shorts is keeping everything clean and in good condition, and double checking your builds on an ohm meter or with a multimeter before you fire them (I do this even when the build is "old" - wire can shift, things happen, so every time I screw an atty onto a mod for the first time that day, I check the resistance first. I've caught shorts, loose posts, and backed out screws that way, all without having to fire anything.)

For future reference, it's a terrible idea to keep firing a mod that's hot or shocking you. Either event is an indication of a short, and continuing to fire the mod without troubleshooting first is at best, not good for your battery (or your insulators) and at worst, could cause your battery to vent.

kelli

Vapid Vapetress
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yup, sounds like you had a short somewhere. Since it came and went, the most likely scenario is that one of your coils shifted position slightly and shorted against the cap, as franciscan says.However, in the event of a short, the safe thing to do is to break down the whole mod so that you can check each piece individually. Make sure everything is clean, clean, clean (including the inside of the switch assembly - careful with those magnets), and, as franciscan says, check your insulators on your plume veil too.

The best defense against shorts is keeping everything clean and in good condition, and double checking your builds on an ohm meter or with a multimeter before you fire them (I do this even when the build is "old" - wire can shift, things happen, so every time I screw an atty onto a mod for the first time that day, I check the resistance first. I've caught shorts, loose posts, and backed out screws that way, all without having to fire anything.)

For future reference, it's a terrible idea to keep firing a mod that's hot or shocking you. Either event is an indication of a short, and continuing to fire the mod without troubleshooting first is at best, not good for your battery (or your insulators) and at worst, could cause your battery to vent.

hey i know you.

kelli

Vapid Vapetress
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
you too sweetie. i have a thread here called the alternate universe. you are always welcome.

VU Sponsors