Become a Patron!

Squonkers are Bonkers

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
This is one of the major reasons I've never even gotten started down the squonking rabbit hole -- other reasons being, the FDA's shenanigans, I thought I was running out of time to stock up for the way I already vape, and of course my requirement for a very tight draw atty further complicates the issue, since I have other firm requirements such as threaded rather than o-ring caps, and the position of the airflow -- side airflow always leaves me wondering just exactly where the flavor got to. ;)

But, since the FDA has moved the deadline back a couple years, I'm now starting to reconsider squonking, chiefly because only an RDA delivers truly saturated flavor, and squonking would remove one of my other RDA requirements: a huge well. Squonking might be the way I can remove or reduce my dependence on my 2 Achilles, which can't be replaced since they're no longer made.

But it's gotta be a regulated mod, due to my need for very-low-impact vaping (less than 10w). And, it's gotta be affordable, and so far, I really haven't seen affordable and regulated together in the same squonker.

Andria

There's always the Wraith, for regulated and affordable. Although I dunno how well it works, since I've seen both good and bad reviews on it. I love my Inbox, but I'm not sure if it qualifies as affordable to you. I'd love to get a Therion squonker, but they're a bit out of my price range right now. :D

I suppose since I rarely leave the house, I don't absolutely need squonkers. I could just stick to getting more/better RDAs. I just kinda like them. I think I may have pushed my husband's indulgences a little far, since this morning, after I pointed out a mod to my husband (he's looking for bday ideas for me), he replied "It's another squonker. What's different?" :giggle:

Last edited:

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This is one of the major reasons I've never even gotten started down the squonking rabbit hole -- other reasons being, the FDA's shenanigans, I thought I was running out of time to stock up for the way I already vape, and of course my requirement for a very tight draw atty further complicates the issue, since I have other firm requirements such as threaded rather than o-ring caps, and the position of the airflow -- side airflow always leaves me wondering just exactly where the flavor got to. ;)

But, since the FDA has moved the deadline back a couple years, I'm now starting to reconsider squonking, chiefly because only an RDA delivers truly saturated flavor, and squonking would remove one of my other RDA requirements: a huge well. Squonking might be the way I can remove or reduce my dependence on my 2 Achilles, which can't be replaced since they're no longer made.

But it's gotta be a regulated mod, due to my need for very-low-impact vaping (less than 10w). And, it's gotta be affordable, and so far, I really haven't seen affordable and regulated together in the same squonker.

Andria
The Wraith is the most affordable regulated squonk at the moment, ecig city had them for about $30. Not so sure of their quality, I have one that is relegated to the pile of "will fix when time allows "
When they work, they are very nice the problem is knowing how long they will do so.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Suits me completely. :)

Andria

I would not discount getting a Pico Squeeze - they are mosfet protected and not really a mech - you just can't adjust the wattage manually. The Pico loves high ohm coils :)

I know you have talked about sometimes needing to crank down the wattage a tad in the morning compared to what you enjoy later in the day, but for the price, it could be an excellent first choice for your situation

Of course, your challenge will be the attie and finding the right draw

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
When is black Friday? If you are on a budget then waiting for that may be the go

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Uggh...hate when you get a phantom twitch when making coils lol or you spend the time prepping the tension right on triple cores only you forget to make sure your battery on the drill was fully charged...

Had my 6x6 wire run hot glued right...(16 long with hot glue at the ends and middle) started the wrap and zap...twitch lol

Able to salvage 1 coil sadly...battery died last inch so ended up tossing the second half and wrap wire

Had to wrap it fully then unravel the sides til there was good coil left...

Picture for SaGs

e4b72219999ab96faaf10e2f9fb8ac52.jpg

Still not great at making Aliens, but they Vape perfectly fine

3x26x36 N80 3mm 5wrap should be .20ish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I get to pick the grits though...Hehe!

Then you can cook them, too. I ain't cooking anything I have to stand there and stir for more than 5 minutes.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
There's always the Wraith, for regulated and affordable. Although I dunno how well it works, since I've seen both good and bad reviews on it. I love my Inbox, but I'm not sure if it qualifies as affordable to you. I'd love to get a Therion squonker, but they're a bit out of my price range right now. :D

I suppose since I rarely leave the house, I don't absolutely need squonkers. I could just stick to getting more/better RDAs. I just kinda like them. I think I may have pushed my husband's indulgences a little far, since this morning, after I pointed out a mod to my husband (he's looking for bday ideas for me), he replied "It's another squonker. What's different?" :giggle:

I find the Wraith for anywhere from $45 to $60, and the Inbox, even more. $45 is *just* within what I consider affordable; the most I've EVER spent on a mod was $55, and that one had custom etching (the coolfire4 with my name etched on it); I prefer not to spend over $40 for a mod, though I did pay about $45 for each of my coolfire4 TC-75w-18650s. but my favorite mods are my MiniBooks, and I didn't pay over $35 for any of them, and only $20 for one and $25 for another. Frankly I can't get excited about a squonker that costs over $40 since it will also require a dedicated BF atty, and I'll probably have to kiss a lot of frogs in that dept, before I find one I consider a prince -- if the draw isn't somewhat like a carto, I really have no use at all for it -- I'm trying to abstain from smoking, not huffing shit out of a paper bag. ;)

Andria

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I find the Wraith for anywhere from $45 to $60, and the Inbox, even more. $45 is *just* within what I consider affordable; the most I've EVER spent on a mod was $55, and that one had custom etching (the coolfire4 with my name etched on it); I prefer not to spend over $40 for a mod, though I did pay about $45 for each of my coolfire4 TC-75w-18650s. but my favorite mods are my MiniBooks, and I didn't pay over $35 for any of them, and only $20 for one and $25 for another. Frankly I can't get excited about a squonker that costs over $40 since it will also require a dedicated BF atty, and I'll probably have to kiss a lot of frogs in that dept, before I find one I consider a prince -- if the draw isn't somewhat like a carto, I really have no use at all for it -- I'm trying to abstain from smoking, not huffing shit out of a paper bag. ;)

Andria

Ecig City has the Wraith for $29.99. https://ecig-city.com/products/council-vapor-wraith-80w Many RDAs have a bottom feed pin that comes with them or you can buy them separately to turn it into a squonker. That's what I did with my Druga.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I would not discount getting a Pico Squeeze - they are mosfet protected and not really a mech - you just can't adjust the wattage manually. The Pico loves high ohm coils :)

I know you have talked about sometimes needing to crank down the wattage a tad in the morning compared to what you enjoy later in the day, but for the price, it could be an excellent first choice for your situation

Of course, your challenge will be the attie and finding the right draw

Not so much the mornings, though that's sometimes true, but anytime my asthma is being a pain in the ass, I have to lower the wattage a bit. Also I always start out new wicks at 9.2w, and I think I'd probably need a 4 ohm coil to get wattage that low. :giggle: And then not be able to adjust it upward, as it broke in. But you're right on the money about the difficulty of finding an atty that would suit. Someone once told me that the original Chalice would probably suit me very well, but a) finding one, and b) affording it, might be a real problem.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Ecig City has the Wraith for $29.99. https://ecig-city.com/products/council-vapor-wraith-80w Many RDAs have a bottom feed pin that comes with them or you can buy them separately to turn it into a squonker. That's what I did with my Druga.

I wonder if it's possible to do that with a Magma; I've got a couple of those that mostly go unused, due to having to keep them almost completely vertical to avoid spills; if I could squonk them, then vape up what I squonked, that would be far less of a problem. I found the Magma's draw, when using just one of the smallest airholes, acceptable, and I further modified them by putting a 13ga needle in the interior airholes and cutting them off with a dremel, which tightened up the draw even more.

Andria

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I wonder if it's possible to do that with a Magma; I've got a couple of those that mostly go unused, due to having to keep them almost completely vertical to avoid spills; if I could squonk them, then vape up what I squonked, that would be far less of a problem. I found the Magma's draw, when using just one of the smallest airholes, acceptable, and I further modified them by putting a 13ga needle in the interior airholes and cutting them off with a dremel, which tightened up the draw even more.

Andria

Have you looked at the Cthulu RDA? It's got a squonk pin and is supposed to be a pretty tight draw, designed for MTL. https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10025768/8784900-authentic-cthulhu-mtl-rda-rebuildable-dripping And it's pretty affordable.

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You might consider the Vicious Ant Cyclone v1 (not the AFC), it is slightly easier to find than the Chalice and probably at a friendlier price. I have a Chalice 2 and Chalice 3, they are great atties but the draw is not quite as tight . Another option is the Origen Little ($10 at FT) depending on the built and drip tip used, their draw could be pretty tight.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
You might consider the Vicious Ant Cyclone v1 (not the AFC), it is slightly easier to find than the Chalice and probably at a friendlier price. I have a Chalice 2 and Chalice 3, they are great atties but the draw is not quite as tight . Another option is the Origen Little ($10 at FT) depending on the built and drip tip used, their draw could be pretty tight.

I'm thinking the RM2 - because it meets another requirement Andria has: top cap screws into the base

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Have you looked at the Cthulu RDA? It's got a squonk pin and is supposed to be a pretty tight draw, designed for MTL. https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10025768/8784900-authentic-cthulhu-mtl-rda-rebuildable-dripping And it's pretty affordable.

Yes, I looked at that one the other day, but with that gi-normous driptip, and the way the airflow is adjusted, I doubt very seriously I could get it tight enough to suit... plus, the airflow is at the top? That seems completely fucked up to me, the coil certainly isn't at the top!

My favorites have always been 1) the Kayfun (Lite Plus), 2) the [original] Achilles (and Prometey, though it has no well, the draw and airflow are perfect), and now, 3) the original Lemo, to some extent. Because the airflow is DIRECTLY beneath the coil, providing the BEST flavor. Even the magma; the external airholes are in the side, but internally, directly beneath the coil -- and Magma's have GREAT flavor production.

I have a hard time tasting my vape, even after 3+ yrs smoke-free -- I've cut down the flavoring considerably in my strawberry & cream, but still use almost 25% flavoring. So airflow that doesn't go DIRECTLY over the coil on its way to my mouth just doesn't taste like anything at all to me. Yes, very likely my low wattage vaping is part of the problem there, but that cannot be changed; quitting smoking doesn't eliminate asthma, and in fact, vaping has caused my symptoms (wheezing, tightness) to get worse, so I really can't increase the heat or amount of vapor.

Andria

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes, I looked at that one the other day, but with that gi-normous driptip, and the way the airflow is adjusted, I doubt very seriously I could get it tight enough to suit... plus, the airflow is at the top? That seems completely fucked up to me, the coil certainly isn't at the top!

My favorites have always been 1) the Kayfun (Lite Plus), 2) the [original] Achilles (and Prometey, though it has no well, the draw and airflow are perfect), and now, 3) the original Lemo, to some extent. Because the airflow is DIRECTLY beneath the coil, providing the BEST flavor. Even the magma; the external airholes are in the side, but internally, directly beneath the coil -- and Magma's have GREAT flavor production.

I have a hard time tasting my vape, even after 3+ yrs smoke-free -- I've cut down the flavoring considerably in my strawberry & cream, but still use almost 25% flavoring. So airflow that doesn't go DIRECTLY over the coil on its way to my mouth just doesn't taste like anything at all to me. Yes, very likely my low wattage vaping is part of the problem there, but that cannot be changed; quitting smoking doesn't eliminate asthma, and in fact, vaping has caused my symptoms (wheezing, tightness) to get worse, so I really can't increase the heat or amount of vapor.

Andria
If you DIY, you might consider increasing PG?

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

Andria

Well, I've exhausted my very small warehouse of knowledge. :D I'll just leave you to the experts now. :)

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
If you DIY, you might consider increasing PG?

ROFL!!! :giggle: I use 86%-87% PG already. If I use more, then after about a week, I get a dreadful sore throat, and raw sinuses to go with it. Hurts like the dickens! That's why I can understand those who really can't deal with PG at all without getting that burned feeling -- I just have a much higher threshold than most. :D

Andria

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ROFL!!! :giggle: I use 86%-87% PG already. If I use more, then after about a week, I get a dreadful sore throat, and raw sinuses to go with it. Hurts like the dickens! That's why I can understand those who really can't deal with PG at all without getting that burned feeling -- I just have a much higher threshold than most. :D

Andria
Never mind my "expertly" advice ,it just shows I'm not an expert.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Andria
The low wattage helps you to tolerate the high PG as well.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It is a modified atty from REO, I believe they're around $40.

It says they're $53 (YIKES!!!!), and out of stock. :mad: Apparently REOSmods is the only place to get them, and not even there, apparently. :mad: And a Chalice? Are they fucking kidding??? $140???????? People who think other people are MADE out of money really get my goat.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The low wattage helps you to tolerate the high PG as well.

I think it might also be because I started using albuterol inhalers back in 1985, at which time, I think there was PG in the mix. I also had to use an albuterol nebulizer at one point, which definitely had PG, and may still contain it, in that particular mixture (for nebulizers). I know when I first started using a "huffer," it kinda tickled my throat, made me cough a little, but I gradually got so accustomed to it, I didn't feel it at all, nor even really taste it. When they went to the HFA (no CFC) inhalers, I had to start using name-brand Ventolin, because it was the only one that didn't taste like grain alcohol. As a recovering alkie, I can't afford to disregard that taste, nor come to find it normal, ever again. Plus, plain ol grain alcohol tastes pretty putrid!

Andria

TrollDragon

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

Andria
People on FT have used the YFTK BF pins in their Magma'a with great success. You have to put the pin in a drill and reduce the size of the head a little with a file or emery cloth. I have done this to quite a few RDA's that didn't have BF capability. I've also converted some of the 4 hole ones like the Royal Hunter and Mutation V3 that are not as simple as changing out a pin.

BF 510 Pins.
https://www.fasttech.com/p/7991600

TruckinVapor's Magma converted.
https://www.fasttech.com/forums/5684800/t/2318668/aeolus-lite?2318705

The Achilles could probably be converted to bottom feed but would require a bit more work.

You might find also an RDA from the all things squonk thread on FT that suits your style.
https://www.fasttech.com/forums/vapers/t/2468144/squonking-at-fasttech

TrollDragon

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
It says they're $53 (YIKES!!!!), and out of stock. :mad: Apparently REOSmods is the only place to get them, and not even there, apparently. :mad: And a Chalice? Are they fucking kidding??? $140???????? People who think other people are MADE out of money really get my goat.

Andria
Well up here $140 would get you 7 or 8 packs of smokes... That Chalice would serve you a lot longer than 7 or 8 days. :giggle:

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So what do you guys use to clean your squonk bottle's for a new flavor? Soap and water or some alcohol?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So what do you guys use to clean your squonk bottle's for a new flavor? Soap and water or some alcohol?

I rinse well with warm tap water, empty well and then put about 1/4 full of 91% Isopropyl shake well let sit for maybe 30 minutes or so shakiing a couple of times. I just put my thumb over the opening while shaking.
Empty and sling out any excess then let air dry with the top open for a day.

soaking in isopropyl for a bit will also remove flavor from Orings.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I rinse well with warm tap water, empty well and then put about 1/4 full of 91% Isopropyl shake well let sit for maybe 30 minutes or so shakiing a couple of times. I just put my thumb over the opening while shaking.
Empty and sling out any excess then let air dry with the top open for a day.

soaking in isopropyl for a bit will also remove flavor from Orings.
Thanks. I didn't know that about the orings. Learn something new every day

TrollDragon

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Of course.
And yep that was a bit under a months worth for me a couple of years ago. More like 5 cartons a month.
Of course I save even more using a $12 Wasp Nano :)
The Wasp would be way too airy for Andria. I don't know of any drippers that would be tight enough to raise the veins on your forehead like the old Nahualon and Sat22 gennys would.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The Wasp would be way too airy for Andria. I don't know of any drippers that would be tight enough to raise the veins on your forehead like the old Nahualon and Sat22 gennys would.
Of course it would be way to airy for Andria. but is really nice for me and that is where my vaping expertise lies.
What works best for me :)

TrollDragon

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The NoToy looks like it could be dialed down to quite a tight draw and it has a squonk pin. Looks like 3F is out of stock at the moment.

Got them funky lanyard holes in the top too. :D

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Naah I drink that and use the isopropyl for cleaning.
Vodka is about 1/2 water btw.

Plus 91% isopropyl is only about $1/quart.

I wouldn't put isopropyl on anything that might absorb it, but that's just me. Got the vodka for $6/quart and it was quite literally on the bottom shelf. Definitely not drinkable. It smells like isopropyl. :D

VU Sponsors