Become a Patron!

Squonkers are Bonkers

CactusFanaticus

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I would buy from temco if they had 38g SS, looked and couldn’t find it, just personal preference I won’t do outer wraps of claptons with anything lower. Atomizer wick has been good to me, even though they are often out of stock on a lot of stuff they make up for it giving me free stuff and discounts.

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This one from TemCo always makes me just say to myself...." WTF?"

upload_2018-1-16_14-28-31.png

because 2.5*18.56 is $75

Plus on Ebay you get 15% off of 2 rolls...

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

View attachment 100967

because 2.5*18.56 is $75

Just like buying rolls of plastic pipe. Longer rolls cost more because it is harder to get an unbroken length.

would you charge 4 times as much for a 40 inch piece of alien wire vs 10 inches?

breakage in long lengths of fine gauge wire during manufacturing is not uncommon.

jasonandsarah

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years

View attachment 100967

because 2.5*18.56 is $75

Yeah I noticed the 1000ft was the best deal. I put a 2500 in my cart and was like, what the....... for our application buying multiple 1000ft rolls works just fine if not better anyways. I don't want to have to hold that while wrapping and I definitly am not respooling!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

hariboholmes

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Also I agree and don't think people realize how much coils cost unless they're premades from China. I used to laugh at people's prices and think they were seriously over charging but they're really not.

Thing is the premades from China are getting so much better these days that unless your making it because you enjoy it it's just not worth it.

Last year I bought a few sets of hand made coils and really enjoyed the vape from them, but this year after trying some of the newer China premades from the likes of Geekvape and vapor shark I realised that buying expensive hand made coils or even buying some kit and making my own is simply not necessary.

Obviously if your really wanting some fancy alien/staple etc etc then sure China's not gonna provide but fancy names aside, when it comes down purely to vape quality I don't think anything more than a Fused Clapton makes that much difference to the vape.

When does a coils complexity (and price) become more about Instagram pics or personal challenge/achievement than about the quality of the vape?

Is a hand made Ni80 boutique alien/frapton etc etc gonna vape better than a premade China coil using the same guages of wire...probably yes ..but $10 better... I think not!

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

jasonandsarah

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Thing is the premades from China are getting so much better these days that unless your making it because you enjoy it it's just not worth it.

Last year I bought a few sets of hand made coils and really enjoyed the vape from them, but this year after trying some of the newer China premades from the likes of Geekvape and vapor shark I realised that buying expensive hand made coils or even buying some kit and making my own is simply not necessary.

Obviously if your really wanting some fancy alien/staple etc etc then sure China's not gonna provide but fancy names aside, when it comes down purely to vape quality I don't think anything more than a Fused Clapton makes that much difference to the vape.

When does a coils complexity (and price) become more about Instagram pics or personal challenge/achievement than about the quality of the vape?

Is a hand made Ni80 boutique alien/frapton etc etc gonna vape better than a premade China coil using the same guages of wire...probably yes ..but $10 better... I think not!

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
Well although I don't agree I also don't build coils for Instagram. I build them because I can build it to exactly what I want. If I use a coil for awhile and I think wow that's almost a perfect vape! Just a tiny tiny to warm or not warm enough (splitting hairs I know) but I can make my next coil almost identical but just a little better always striving for perfection.
Also most china premades are either all kanthal or at least some kanthal and I don't like the taste I get from it. I'm using high quality wire and I know exactly what's in it and where my coils have been.
Lastly when you make a really nice alien or fused it can last you a really long time where I found the pre mades to only be good for 1-2 re burns before they done.
Not that I have a opinion or anything
Edit- Also it doesn't cost any where near $10 more if your making them for your self

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Also most china premades are either all kanthal or at least some kanthal and I don't like the taste I get from it. I'm using high quality wire and I know exactly what's in it and where my coils have been.

I agree with this

And the few SS premades from China I've tried were oily and hard to burn off the crap

derrickfosgate

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have this cap comeing for the haku i hope it pairs well with this dam neofet im not sure what my mod is gonna look like anymore
77da0019ef8ed71d587f1f97a8e569d7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

fartbubble

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Anyone see the Gas Mods G.R.1? Looks really interesting. Looks like it will be $27.99
e1302442b194277f48627dafbfeacdc1.jpg
99fa5b9ae5059fdb7446b6da20652566.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yeah, looks a lot like the Type R rda

Cool, my proteus is back in action after getting a couple new doors from Enushi (510 leaked and ruined the door that came with it). Now just need to polish the bellcap
EDA67B3A-218C-4BD1-9A55-01A5C9B86E1D.jpeg

Last edited:

derrickfosgate

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Anyone see the Gas Mods G.R.1? Looks really interesting. Looks like it will be $27.99
e1302442b194277f48627dafbfeacdc1.jpg
99fa5b9ae5059fdb7446b6da20652566.jpeg

Seen that in a discussion somewhere and some part of it is aluminum i think the air inserts and was mentioned that it was not good but i couldnt say 100% so dont hold me to it

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Seen that in a discussion somewhere and some part of it is aluminum i think the air inserts and was mentioned that it was not good but i couldnt say 100% so dont hold me to it

Yeah I saw that the inserts were aluminum. If we use aluminum top caps I’m fine with it. I asked if it could be used without them entirely. I’ll let you guys know what I find out.

derrickfosgate

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I may be confused but yes.
Seems like I recall a pic of 3 neofets...
A white one in the middle but someone said it was red...
I got the black with brushed alum top bottom and faceplate then was told it could be all done in black top bottom and faceplate then seen today that he cant do the front plate black so it will be brushed and im not sure the color of the black top and bottom if its gonna match the mod or be glossy and the mod a dull finish so i will end having a mod with 3 diff blacks i dont even no anymore

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I got the black with brushed alum top bottom and faceplate then was told it could be all done in black top bottom and faceplate then seen today that he cant do the front plate black so it will be brushed and im not sure the color of the black top and bottom if its gonna match the mod or be glossy and the mod a dull finish so i will end having a mod with 3 diff blacks i dont even no anymore

The black metal wont match the delrin, no way of that to happen ;) Can get close, but he already posted the black parts and they are a semi-gloss if I recall...as for the face plate, the parts in his latest pics look to be delrin also, as the white is, and well ultem is ultem albeit polished or not ;)

I asked if I could get it without the 67 moniker on the face plate...rather have it unbranded myself.

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
FYI OG Recoil Squonk RDAs available on RecoilRDA.com for $25 plus shipping... use code GrimmYoc to get 20% off... knocks the price down to $48 for the Rebel that comes with a Squonk pin

derrickfosgate

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The black metal wont match the delrin, no way of that to happen ;) Can get close, but he already posted the black parts and they are a semi-gloss if I recall...as for the face plate, the parts in his latest pics look to be delrin also, as the white is, and well ultem is ultem albeit polished or not ;)

I asked if I could get it without the 67 moniker on the face plate...rather have it unbranded myself.
Im goin to ask him to just give me the original version its just to confusing

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I agree. I really hope you can use it without the airflow inserts.

I can't see why you couldn't? But how leak prone it becomes without them can be a major factor. Doesn't look like a lot of clearance from the deck to the AF bottom... so much promise with that RDA in aesthetics but that AF could kill the whole deal...

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I can't see why you couldn't? But how leak prone it becomes without them can be a major factor. Doesn't look like a lot of clearance from the deck to the AF bottom... so much promise with that RDA in aesthetics but that AF could kill the whole deal...

Yeah best to wait for reviews on that one.

derrickfosgate

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I feel you. Not complaining since I scored an emerald green cap and ring for the haku as a leftover from Dillon. I didn't even join the group until after the last mega list was already closed so pretty happy about that.
I got the 4 caps and rings but wishing i would have got the neon green cap to i have the green vikset but the nn is more green where the vikset is more clear

derrickfosgate

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I feel you. Not complaining since I scored an emerald green cap and ring for the haku as a leftover from Dillon. I didn't even join the group until after the last mega list was already closed so pretty happy about that.
Heres my secret pm him dont tell on me tho lmao

CactusFanaticus

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I'm curious at to why you choose not to go below 38g... ?
As electricity travels the path of least resistance, the outer wrap wire really isn’t part of the circuit/affect the ohms of the coil hardly any, it adds mass to the coil drawing heat away from the cores like a heat sink increasing ramp up and making the coil less efficient.

The higher the gauge/smaller the outer wrap wire the faster the ramp up, also smaller gauge has much more surface area to mass compared to lower gauge wraps, which is argued by many to improve flavor. Most will agree 36 or higher, Being I use tubes a lot and want the fastest ramp up possible (hate purging) I just prefer 38 or 40.
It’s all subjective to a degree, and may be splitting hairs, but I can tell a difference.

chohan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As electricity travels the path of least resistance, the outer wrap wire really isn’t part of the circuit/affect the ohms of the coil hardly any, it adds mass to the coil drawing heat away from the cores like a heat sink increasing ramp up and making the coil less efficient.

The higher the gauge/smaller the outer wrap wire the faster the ramp up, also smaller gauge has much more surface area to mass compared to lower gauge wraps, which is argued by many to improve flavor. Most will agree 36 or higher, Being I use tubes a lot and want the fastest ramp up possible (hate purging) I just prefer 38 or 40.
It’s all subjective to a degree, and may be splitting hairs, but I can tell a difference.

Sounds logical. Thanks for the explanation.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Anyone know where to go for contacts? My Orca came in and I didn't realize he doesn't include the contacts so I need to hunt some down.

He suggested contacting SteamBlade but all I can find is an instagram page.

Can't wait to put this together, 20700 DNA75C. Not much bigger than the pulse.

20180116_131247-1.jpg

Side note, the China Haku caps holes are a little undersized. Had to put a dremel to them and match the RSA hole after this pic.

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Anyone know where to go for contacts? My Orca came in and I didn't realize he doesn't include the contacts so I need to hunt some down.

View attachment 101002

Side note, the China Haku caps holes are a little undersized. Had to put a dremel to them and match the RSA hole after this pic.

Oh man! I’m so jealous! I’ve been wanting to build a regulated Orca for couple of months now.
For contacts I think you’ll have to use some copper sheeting to cut up into a couple small squares I’ve seen most use a spring solder to a plate for the negative. Hope this helps

chohan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Heres my secret pm him dont tell on me tho lmao

Scored me a smoked and cherno green for the haku but he said they won't be rdy until perhaps Friday. I don't know how the bloke gets any caps made answering all our messages but he gets an A+ for communication. Thanks

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

View attachment 101002

https://www.facebook.com/groups/420214528357372/

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sent request to FB group, hopefully FB has a translate function lol. Thanx for the link.

If I get too impatient, I may just try to fab up some plates & a spring. Thanx jmoney

VU Sponsors