Become a Patron!

Squonkers are Bonkers

RSZ1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
In the local retail grocery store near me, the store brand of 91% ISO is $1.99 for a 32 oz bottle. That single bottle alone is likely to fill the bowl of the ultrasonic cleaner that @RSZ1 linked in another post, especially after the displacement of the liquid with the Squeeze in the bowl.

ISO is cheap and available locally, but replacing the Pico Squeeze means buying from China and waiting 2-3 weeks if you are lucky.

If it were me, I'd use as much ISO as I could before giving up.

I get four pack of 500ml bottles of 99% alcohol at Costco for about $8. That's Canadian funds so about a nickel US. :giggle:

IMG_20180803_121216.jpg

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Are you submerging DNA boards in ISO in the UC? I thought about it, then got nervous. :giggle:

When my VT133 went to shit, I knew it was due to me abusing it... go to rewick a RSA and with BF pins, juice over time flooded the inners of the mod. When it finally gave errors I took it apart and unsoldered the board and removed the screen and soaked it in ISO and used to toothbrush to clean...soldered it back together, slapped in and viola, works perfect again.

Arthur-VU

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I get four pack of 500ml bottles of 99% alcohol at Costco for about $8. That's Canadian funds so about a nickel US. :giggle:

View attachment 117138
That's like 4x 16oz bottles for $6 USD, seems a little pricey to me.

Costco (at least in the USA) is supposed to be a big-box discount seller of bulk items. However, when I've tried to shop there in the past, I'd discovered that not all items are cheaper than other stores.

For example, a 48-pack of Scott toilet paper was $25 at Costco, but 2x 24-packs of the same Scott toilet paper was $21 at my local Stop & Shop grocery store. Maybe for one item it's not a big deal, but if you are spending say $200 for things, it's easily possible to pay 15-20% more at Costco...

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
or example, a 48-pack of Scott toilet paper was $25 at Costco
This is also true at Cash & Carry: sometimes you'll see a 'deal' (commercial food-service value), but they are rare and you have to CHECK everything you'd otherwise get at Winco, Yokes or just order from Sysco.

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hmm so glad I went clone first...

Not a really bad RSA...just super airy...like goon'ish type of air wide open with the larger air hole discs...went with the next triple hole disc down in size and need to block 1.5 of the holes to the draw I like...

The single hole disc...way to restricted

Any of you that like more air for your RSAs, get one, it will be right up your alley way...

Oh yeah, flavor is pretty good, building it simple...o-rings suck, probably a non-issue with the authentic but meh $170 or $17

And the factory drip tip is retarded

1eb4f3efa33763b7cd2cca103e2cbc86.jpg

Anyhoo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RSZ1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That's like 4x 16oz bottles for $6 USD, seems a little pricey to me.

Costco (at least in the USA) is supposed to be a big-box discount seller of bulk items. However, when I've tried to shop there in the past, I'd discovered that not all items are cheaper than other stores.

For example, a 48-pack of Scott toilet paper was $25 at Costco, but 2x 24-packs of the same Scott toilet paper was $21 at my local Stop & Shop grocery store. Maybe for one item it's not a big deal, but if you are spending say $200 for things, it's easily possible to pay 15-20% more at Costco...

One single 500ml bottle is about $4 and up anywhere else here. Costco is literally half the price.

Arthur-VU

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
One single 500ml bottle is about $4 and up anywhere else here. Costco is literally half the price.
Thanks for the info and reply.

It seems that in context, relative to other local vendors, Costco is a better deal in your area.

I'm glad you shared this info. I learned something today :)

RSZ1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

It seems that in context, relative to other local vendors, Costco is a better deal in your area.

And for even more context, I usually buy gas at Costco whenever possible. The other day my daughter had a rugby game out of town, so I stopped at the Shell up the street. $1.56 a liter for 91 octane. At Costco, 91 Octane is $1.36. Putting 60-70 liters in the tank, that's $12 to $14 more for the same thing.

Not everything is cheaper all the time at Costco. We have six people in our household, so to me on the overall shopping at Costco saves us time and money. I really don't want to drive to 10 different stores a week to save nickels and dimes, and maybe a few bucks on any given item.

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ironsmith Furnace RDA showed up yesterday. Installed a 26/36 Ni80 dual core fused clapton, 3mm ID, reads at 0.33 ohms.

BUILD QUALITY
Machining is pretty good on the deck and cap, no noticeable burrs or anything. It's not as nicely finished as some of the higher end ones, but that's to be expected. Arrived with a little machine oil smell so I soaked it in some ISO and gave it a quick rinse.

The Furnace comes only in one colorway, black and ultem. The ultem top portion of the cap is press fit into the black barrel with a black delrin AFC ring. The ultem insert also fits into raised notches on the deck to keep the cap from spinning and aligns the top airflow.

EASE OF USE
The Furnace is a pretty easy build. It has flathead grub screws and it's easiest to install a coil by removing one (I HATE doing that) and sliding your lead under the other. I raised the coil a bit to make sure that the airflow hoops were angled at/under the coil. I was a bit worried that it be too close to the ultem part of the cap, but it hadn't melted or made contact yet.
The squonk pin comes up through a raised portion that splits the juice well into two small ones on either side. No hopes of juice getting sucked back into the bottle with this one.

VAPE EXPERIENCE
Airflow is very smooth. It comes in from the top between the barrel of the cap and the AFC, I to a channel between the cap wall and the ultem insert, then gets diffused by six small holes aimed at the coils. It can be closed down to get a somewhat loose MTL draw, but wide open I'd say it feels like a Hadaly with one slot closed down. Pretty restricted, which I like.
Flavor is really good. Not KRMA or Basic level flavor but still good for the price.
It will not oversquonk unless you really try, but since the juice won't drain it will definitely get some juice through the drip tip if you squonk for a little too long or too hard.

FINAL THOUGHTS
The Furnace RDA is a nice, original design. It's obvious that there was a lot of though out into this piece. It sells for $49.99 on the Ironsmith site, but can be had for a much more palatable $31.99 at 3F.
At that price I'd say it's a worth it but at full retail it's not worth that much. The Dpro Mini, DROP Solo, Recurve, and Wasp Nano are all better bargains IMO.

Sent from the Death Star
993ac1462027af1348891af9d2abdb09.jpg
a53b4e1dfa806785d5f85d3f194c2735.jpg
d38fffd01a1ba7df79026ce153d78bb6.jpg

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

They really stick it us far northern people

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
yeah and HI is pretty much the same way.

Hawaii consumer goods are a lot cheaper than Alaska

Gasoline is slightly more expensive in Hawaii than in my area, but cheaper than some places in my state

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
only 2 costco in my state, and really inconvenient for me

no walmart

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Very much so

Energy is slightly more expensive, but you use less as you don't have to pay to heat the tundra, lol
I suspect that building materials are not cheap in HI.

but they are big on Spam.
I hear that Burger King has Spamburgers?

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
In FL if you have a pool and patio combo it will not see a lot of use unless you have a screened enclosure over it.
And darned armadillos everywhere...

did I mention fire ants?

Arthur-VU

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Speaking of location and living conditions...

Since I am basically a hermit anyway, eventually I want to buy an abandoned missile silo in the Nevada desert and live mostly underground, and off-grid, hydroponics and solar, and maybe a cow or two for milk, etc.

My thinking is that when Russia, China, N. Korea or one of the Muslim nations finally decides to send the nukes (or bring down the infrastructure via cyber-attack), I am already in a fall-out shelter and self-sufficient and can wait out the radiation like in that Brendan Fraser movie: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blast_from_the_Past_(film)

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Speaking of location and living conditions...

Since I am basically a hermit anyway, eventually I want to buy an abandoned missile silo in the Nevada desert and live mostly underground, and off-grid, hydroponics and solar, and maybe a cow or two for milk, etc.

My thinking is that when Russia, China, N. Korea or one of the Muslim nations finally decides to send the nukes (or bring down the infrastructure via cyber-attack), I am already in a fall-out shelter and self-sufficient and can wait out the radiation like in that Brendan Fraser movie: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blast_from_the_Past_(film)

Kinda the opposite of "A Boy and his Dog"

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Florida sucks.
Lived there 7 years.
We wake up to this most every morning when we're here:

7KvXQNl.jpg

If you think that sucks, well, different strokes for different folks. :p

Florida is too hot and too many bugs
Where we are, it rarely gets above 90F. The sea breeze moderates the temperatures and pushes the bugs inland.

Oh, and I've never seen as many bugs as in the Yukon and Alaska -- they would darken the damn sky at times!

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So Vandy vape and TonyB announced the Pulse X 90 21700.

This piss off anyone else?

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I can't seem to find anything on it. Why woukd that piss anyone off?

Sent from the Death Star
They bumped it 10 watts and added 21700 capability. Like that shouldn't have been considered in the previous iteration that's only been out a few months.

In general, flooding the market with iterations masquerading as innovations really bothers me. Remember when a company might introduce 3 or 4 new models per year? A dual cell, a cingle cell, a low wattage lipo, and a high wattage Lipo... That was it. And they came in black, stainless, and maybe brass/copper. If you wanted something else, you got Jwraps or Zapwraps or an aftermarket sleeve or case.

They'd also release 3 or 4 atomizers... A dual coil RTA, a single coil RTA, a subohm tank, and a MTL tank. Maybe an RDA. Said atties would also be available in stainless, black, copper, and brass.

Now, Smok has at least a new release per month (it seems) and other manufacturers are following suit. These models come in 47373626 color combinations, too. Just this year, the Mag, I-Priv, X-Priv, E-Priv, H-Priv2, several sticks, several pods, Baby versions of each.

Rant over...

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
They bumped it 10 watts and added 21700 capability. Like that shouldn't have been considered in the previous iteration that's only been out a few months.

In general, flooding the market with iterations masquerading as innovations really bothers me. Remember when a company might introduce 3 or 4 new models per year? A dual cell, a cingle cell, a low wattage lipo, and a high wattage Lipo... That was it. And they came in black, stainless, and maybe brass/copper. If you wanted something else, you got Jwraps or Zapwraps or an aftermarket sleeve or case.

They'd also release 3 or 4 atomizers... A dual coil RTA, a single coil RTA, a subohm tank, and a MTL tank. Maybe an RDA. Said atties would also be available in stainless, black, copper, and brass.

Now, Smok has at least a new release per month (it seems) and other manufacturers are following suit. These models come in 47373626 color combinations, too. Just this year, the Mag, I-Priv, X-Priv, E-Priv, H-Priv2, several sticks, several pods, Baby versions of each.

Rant over...

Ah, I see what you mean. If I was hell bent on a 21700 I definitely would be.

I think the problem is that the market isn't as discerning as it once was... companies wouldn't constantly be flinging crap product after crap product it the fan boys didn't keep buying them. That's the main reason I've moved away from the mass produced vape gear... not bashing those cheaper products as that's exactly where we all start, but the big companies in the vape industry, as in any vape industry, are in it to move the most product and make the most money possible with as little investment as possible.

Sent from the Death Star

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I make brooms... No, really... Some of you might have seen them. If not, let me know and I'll post a pic. They're maden1 at a time. They last roughly 20 years. They're beautiful (if I must say so myself) and functional. In the last decade or so, I've developed/continued on with about 20 styles. I understand the need to keep innovating, but also like beautiful, functional, durable products.

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I make brooms... No, really... Some of you might have seen them. If not, let me know and I'll post a pic. They're maden1 at a time. They last roughly 20 years. They're beautiful (if I must say so myself) and functional. In the last decade or so, I've developed/continued on with about 20 styles. I understand the need to keep innovating, but also like beautiful, functional, durable products.

I know exactly what you mean. This is why I support small, individual modders as much as I can. People want to shit on the exclusivity of the Facebook groups but it's a great way to connect with true artists in the vape community. I have two, soon to be three, mods that were custom made and I won't be letting them go any time soon. I've sold off most of my mass produced items (save for my SXK Billet bc they're rock solid pocket rockets) and I really only plan to buy unique, crafted items in the future.

I decided that for myself and far be it from me to look down on anyone for deciding differently. I just think that if the masses were more selective about where they put their money then it would force companies to produce better products.

Sent from the Death Star

VU Sponsors