Become a Patron!

SS claptons problem

Hello!

Yesterday I builded some SS clapton wire. . 24awg and around 28awg.. BTW my first clapton build. . reader says it's .18ohm.. on dual setup.. but the taste is amwul. .at 30w On twisted SS it was grate. . So I am wondering where is the problem...
20170512_225009.jpg

20170512_181115.jpg

Wicking is not the isue... i can wick griffin with my eyes closed. .
Tryed spaced, contact. . Doesnt matter... same crappy taste..
Thnx

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Firstly 28g is way too big. That coil will never perform well. The 28g wrap is taking every bit of heat from the 24g and giving little back. Half or more of the coil's weight is in the 28g and the 24g has to heat the 28g before anything is going to happen.
36g is about the biggest wrap I'd ever recommend on the majority of builds.

Secondly the 28g is too big because the coil is way too thick. I'd guess your coil is shorting out on the chamber making it taste bad.

With stuff like twisted wire and 24/28 clapton you're better off just using a simple round configuration.

26g n80 parallel with 28g SS would be a massive improvement imo. So would a simple 22g coil. Or a simple 24g coil.

Basically you've just added a massive heat sink to your coil where you could have just made a 24g build with similar dimensions and you'd have a coil that is actually part of the circuit and heats it's self.

Sent from my E5306 using Tapatalk

Firstly 28g is way too big. That coil will never perform well. The 28g wrap is taking every bit of heat from the 24g and giving little back. Half or more of the coil's weight is in the 28g and the 24g has to heat the 28g before anything is going to happen.
36g is about the biggest wrap I'd ever recommend on the majority of builds.

Secondly the 28g is too big because the coil is way too thick. I'd guess your coil is shorting out on the chamber making it taste bad.

With stuff like twisted wire and 24/28 clapton you're better off just using a simple round configuration.

26g n80 parallel with 28g SS would be a massive improvement imo. So would a simple 22g coil. Or a simple 24g coil.

Basically you've just added a massive heat sink to your coil where you could have just made a 24g build with similar dimensions and you'd have a coil that is actually part of the circuit and heats it's self.

Tnx.. learning from mistakes :D these wires I had on my hands at the moment.. just wanted to try and didn't understand what's was the reason. .. learning learning.... :)
Edit just wondering.. if I make spacing something like 2 or 3mm on outer layer can it change something?

Edit2 maybe you can suggest best builds with these size coil? Anyway they are just sitting in drawer..

Last edited:

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
24/28g clapton won't work in any way.
With just 24g and 28g you can't build anything really. You'd need 36g and higher.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Agree with whiteowl84, the two wires you mentioned are too close in size. The outer wrap of a clapton should be more to trap juice and expose the juice to small peaks and valleys for better vapor, the core wire(s) being the ones that really affect resistance and heat up. If you had finer wire like 32-34g what you could potentially do is a half staggered clapton (I think is the name).

Where you'd take the smaller of the two, the 28g, and clapton it with the finer 32-34g wire. You'd end up with a claptoned wire roughly the same size in thickness as the 24g. Then lay the 24g next to the 28g after it's claptoned similar to running two 24g wires side by side, then wrapping those together with a staple approach. Some complex coils are hard to do out of pure stainless because it's low resistance to begin with.

Too many ss316 cores and resistance drops pretty fast, especially on dual coil builds. Then you end up trying to add another wrap or two to get resistance back up and potentially end up with enough wraps that ramp up is slowed because it's trying to heat up in the center and takes awhile for the coils to heat all the way to either end. That's been my (somewhat limited) experience anyway. Trying to dodge low resistance issues on stainless steel with complex builds means going with finer higher gauge wire than you would with say kanthal and it gets pretty damn tedious.

Nothing wrong with experimenting and learning but if you're getting a really good experience on a simple build, don't discount it. In terms of functionality, a simple twisted build that tastes great to you is still a great build. Complexity doesn't always equate to better or more enjoyment. Most of the time I run twisted single coil builds using 26g or 28g ss316L.

nikolous

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I use ss316l for my claptons. Dual 26g with 32 on the outside. Currently running a single coil on my in'sane, 3mm id, 5 wraps. No issues with ramp time at all @ 30w.

VU Sponsors