Become a Patron!

SS Help please

DaRodent

Member For 4 Years
First off I have to say I am VERY new to building.

That being said I could use some help to determine what gage of SS wire to do a build.
It will be a duel coil for Bellow V2 that was given to me for Christmas so it is a relatively small deck, no bigger than about 8 wraps on a 2.5 mm ID.

I know that there is a calculator on Steam but I am not sure how to read it for a duel coils. (more things to learn)

I am aiming for about .5 ohms in TC mode as that seems to be the sweet spot for me for flavour.

Any help would be greatly appreciated with both the wire size needed (thinking about 28 gage?) and how to read the calculator (when you plug in duel coil is the number of wraps that is displayed per coil of split between the coils?)

I am old and slow and not too bright so really need a dummies version .

Thanks.

Bill

scalewiz

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Enter your values on the left two-thirds of the page for your info, and be sure to select dual coil. When done, the results section on the right part of the page will show you the values per coil. If you select .5 ohm on the left as your target value, you will notice in the results section that each coil will be 1 ohm, and the number of turn shown is per coil. You can also play with the watts value in the results section and see how much power you will need to generate the heat you like.

Pastry pimps

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I hate steam. It confuse the shit out of me. what i use is an app called vape tool. it is a very straight foward tool with lots of information. there are a few features that are added if you up grade to the pro version which i love, but they arent necessary for getting your ohms where you want them to be.

If you are a droid user you can get it here

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.stasbar.vape_tool

Not sure if there is an ios version or not. Give that a shot and let me know if it helps. And i will be happy to help you figure the app out or try to use mine and get you the coils you want

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape tool only tells you a result..... steam gives the WHY of the result. Both are great.... if fast and simple is all you need vape tool wins.. if you want to understand why and maybe see affect of a change is where steam takes over.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

DaRodent

Member For 4 Years
Pastry Pimps Thanks for the tip on Vape Tool. It is in ISO so will have to download it and check it out once I get !@###@!! Apple to unlock my account. LOL

scalewiz, that was what I was not sure about id what was displayed was per coil or to be split between the 2 coils.... what can I say.... I am not the brightest bulb on the tree.

DaRodent

Member For 4 Years
HondaDavidson... right now I am like a new driver in a car....just want to get from point A to B.... learning how to tear down the engine will come a little later. Though I do like the idea about playing with power levels.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I get the a to b thing.... but my question is are you learning in a 1969 VW or 2017 Corvette...... imo Vape tool is fine for learning to drive the VW. Being setup for building for unregulated mods.. as it is. Steam allows for the power variability of regulation.

Pastry pimps

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
must be why I love vape pro. I'm practically new since it was over a year when i quit vaping and only a month since i started again. That's why I'm going to keep it simple and stick to regulated mods for a while... that and my wife is kind of pissed at how much I've spent trying to rebuild my collection lol

DaRodent

Member For 4 Years
LOL...as a matter of fact I did learn to drive on a 68 VW Bug but once I stopped grinding the gears moved into a 71 Mini Cooper S that was striped out and set up for racing.

At the moment I am not using a mechanical mod but have a couple of regulated ones.

Pastry pimps

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Do you have your ss already? Or are you going to order some? I did a .5 ss basic coil and you would need 10 2.5mm wraps of 28g ss 316 with a

DaRodent

Member For 4 Years
I have not bought any wire yet... that was what I was trying to figure out. I already have some 26 gage Nickel wire I am not yet sure what I am going to use for.
so if I am reading the chart right I will need 9 wraps on a 2.5 ID of SS316 to get me to .45 ohms and I will have to run the mod at 45 watts to get the power and temp I am looking for.

Pastry pimps

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Are you wanting ss for temperature control? Because i believe nickle is used for tc also

DaRodent

Member For 4 Years
with the nickel I would need 115 wraps to get where I want to be and I just don't have that kind of room LOL

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
As the owner of quite a few Billow V2's youll be at 4.5volts to power the .45ohm at 45 watts...That's gonna be a pretty hot vape on that tank...The thing with a billow V2 is it uses a very small piece of cotton as a wick and has a quite small build deck...Im not sure it will keep up even in temp control but I could be wrong...On a basic 26g 2.5mm 6 wrap I cant go higher than 28 watts at 3.38 volts on a .41 ohm build before the vape gets hot or the wick is not able to keep up on more than say 3 hits....I keep it at 26 watts and its keeping up just fine.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
with the nickel I would need 115 wraps to get where I want to be and I just don't have that kind of room LOL
That is if you assume the ohm and watts you need for one material is the same when using another. Different materials and gauges can demand different ohm rates and power levels to achieve like results.

VU Sponsors