Become a Patron!

SS staggered fused clapton issues

2c5000

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i know this coil can be used for TC, but its so finicky for me. the wraps are spaced. sometimes in stays in TC and other times into power mode. this is on both an evic vtc mini and vtwo mini. both updated.

what are those of you running this coil, in TC, doing to keep it working in TC? wtf am i missing here? any help is appreciated.

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Any coil can be used in TC as long as the resistance and alloy is right for the mod.
Could be a bad connection or it could just be the device.
Back when I started building and my wife was still using an eVic something it was very easy to trip back into power mode. No other mod I've had has ever done that. The DNA and FSK chips are the only ones I've used that really impressed me in TC with 316l. Eventually I stopped using TC altogether.
Either way my suggestion would be to try to reposition it in the posts or if that doesn't work just make another one and do a really good job on the leads and the hotspots.
It's wild fluctuation in resistance that throws it into power mode so it can be a coil with a bad connection or hotspots, a short, the connection between the 510 to the atty and to the posts or even cheap wire.
I have had an atty develop a bad connection between the post and 510 that I couldn't fix. Even with that the DNA chip still pushed it in TC...not well but it did it.

Last edited:

Hydro1

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
On my vtc 2 mini if i dont lock the ohms in it will jump all over the place, switch to power mode ect. Otherwise ss works just fine.

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
On my vtc 2 mini if i dont lock the ohms in it will jump all over the place, switch to power mode ect. Otherwise ss works just fine.
Yeah I forgot you have to actually lock it.

NickIsANoob

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I've been running this in TC on my DNAs
babbe09576a59249923f7f0d7ce85cde.jpg

2c5000

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
im aware the resistance must be locked. that recommendation did just make me think of something that it may be tho. the evics will ask you for "new coil" when changing attys if you do it properly. ive been just unlocking when the new atty is on, and locking it then. this goes around answering the "new coil" question.

ill bet if i set it up properly it will be fine. ive not heard of anyone else having issues with their evic devices pushing SS wire.

oh and i suppose the wire could be cheap. its lightning vapes SS316. is LV considered cheap wire? i tried tempcos Ti and it was awful. it would not work at all in TC. LV Ti worked perfectly in TC on my evic devices. maybe ill try a new wire supplier. who is providing the best SS?

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Temcos and Coil Societys are good and affordable. LV wire is worse than both by a long shot.
It's very likely that Temcos supplier is sanvik which they hint at but don't really confirm. Sanvik wire is who supplies kidney puncher and twisted messes from what I've read.
LV is the second worst wire I've ever used and I've used alot of vendors wire. Now I stick to sanvik because I know what I'll get.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Temcos and Coil Societys are good and affordable. LV wire is worse than both by a long shot.
It's very likely that Temcos supplier is sanvik which they hint at but don't really confirm. Sanvik wire is who supplies kidney puncher and twisted messes from what I've read.
LV is the second worst wire I've ever used and I've used alot of vendors wire. Now I stick to sanvik because I know what I'll get.
Good to know. I've been using LV, and haven't been thrilled with it. Tastes fine, but some of it is spooled poorly.

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Some?
f70d96f2f062982a752502bdced1ad33.jpg

Try making a SSFC with that. I've never had an LV spool that didn't do that.
I have no idea how they stay in business, expecially when they're more expensive than the Sandvik wire I get. I do have to order from 3 or 4 people to get what I need though.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I can only comment on standard SS316L coils, I feel like a complete newbie still when I see some of the great things people make on here!

I find with the Joyetech mods, definitely lock the resistance in at room temperature, that is a must.

Apart from that, I have had different SS before, some that worked fantastically on all of my mods, including my DNA200's, then another brand that got kicked out of TC straight away. The funny thing was that the bad wire was from a company called Crazy wire, while the one that worked well was from a hobby shop, and not sold as a vaping wire.

I have used crazy wire since, and it seems OK now, maybe they have changed their supplier but there definitely can be a difference between the same type of SS depending on manufacturer.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Some?

I have no idea how they stay in business, expecially when they're more expensive than the Sandvik wire I get. I do have to order from 3 or 4 people to get what I need though.

Wow I didn't realize it was that common. It's only happened to me once, but I only just started wrapping. Haven't even gone through a whole spool yet lol. I did swear to myself if it happened again I was taking my biz elsewhere.

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The struggle is real.
Temco and Coil Society have really good wire/ribbon and it's also spooled well. Plus it's usually cheaper than LV.

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The struggle is real.
Temco and Coil Society have really good wire/ribbon and it's also spooled well. Plus it's usually cheaper than LV.
Thank you whiteowl. I've also been using LV wire but have been hunting for different suppliers.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The struggle is real.
I keep hearing of Temco, but it works out to get it shipped to the UK about ÂŁ30 for just the shipping, so stealthvapes seems about the best here, quality wise and cost wise.

75M of Kanthal is only ÂŁ5, and their SS 316L is pretty cheap too, about ÂŁ7.99 for 100M (50 metres with 50 free). I still have some 25M reels that I have had for well over a year, of different wire types, I definitely think wire is one of the best areas to experiment in due to its value.

If I could get Temco I would like to try it sometime though.

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I keep hearing of Temco, but it works out to get it shipped to the UK about ÂŁ30 for just the shipping, so stealthvapes seems about the best here, quality wise and cost wise.

75M of Kanthal is only ÂŁ5, and their SS 316L is pretty cheap too, about ÂŁ7.99 for 100M (50 metres with 50 free). I still have some 25M reels that I have had for well over a year, of different wire types, I definitely think wire is one of the best areas to experiment in due to its value.

If I could get Temco I would like to try it sometime though.

CrazyWireCo. Google crazy wire dude, you'll find them.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
CrazyWireCo. Google crazy wire dude, you'll find them.
Is that Temco? I have quite a few reels from Crazy wire of different wire types, not bad but I can't say it is as good as stealth vapes, especially the Ti, that had a coating I had to wipe off before each build that was black.

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
No it's not temco. Temco is sanvik. Some of crazywire is sanvik, some they make. I have friends sponsored by crazy and they love it. I probably get better wire here though

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
No it's not temco. Temco is sanvik. Some of crazywire is sanvik, some they make. I have friends sponsored by crazy and they love it. I probably get better wire here though
just watch out for the SS430 wire they sell. it doesn't appear to be SS430. Their NiFe wire is great though.
If your in the UK it's probably the best to go for since it's local, in the US i love advanced vape supply for fancy wires

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Do they have cheap ass sanvik spools? Please say yes!

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer

2c5000

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Some?

what ive found is that LV is slightly cheaper than tempco. on Ti and SS. also i have been using LV for a couple of years now and not one of my spools has ever done whats in your pic. i find it odd that you say all of the LV spools you have had do that. odd indeed.

regardless of the spooling and pricing... what is low quality about LV wire? i ask because i had an awful experience with Tempcos Ti wire. all my Ti coils made with LV Ti wire worked flawlessly. EVERY SINGLE coil i made with Temcos Ti would overheat. all of them would glow bright red even in TC. i could not figure it out. the only difference i could tell is that Temcos Ti is "tempered" and LVs does not state this. either way Tempcos Ti was garbage for me. completely unusable. ive got about 90+ feet of it if anyone is interested...? lol

regarding my OP... turns out it was the leads. i always thought i tightened the leads more than needed. well with the staggered dual fused claptons i took it to a new level. lol i tightened the piss out of them to where it was hurting my fingers on the small screwdriver. it did the trick tho. my coils havent jumped out of TC all week. problem solved!

Last edited:

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Every 1k' spool I've had has done that. All my team mates have had it happen. Even way back when I started building one of the people teaching me said never to buy their 1k' spools.
The 316l and n80 refuse to color even as good as Kbees wire. I've had all their 316l turn my wicks red over night and it gunked up after one day of use. I've had the 316l not even color. Hours spent on a build wasted. The only good thing about any of it is that the core wire is straight and smooth.
I've never heard of anyone using Ti. I know nothing about it. Between Sanvik K A1, D, n80 and 316l I don't really feel a need to ever use it.
I only use Temco for A1 core wire and sometimes ribbon. The rest comes from other places selling Sandvik wire because Temco doesn't sell over 36g.
LV is fine for most people but once you start building amd using tons of different wire companies then finding out where it was smelted you start seeing that LV wire is the odd ball. KB started selling some of the worst wire I've ever seen and even a 100' spool would bind up. Now theirs is better than LVs in every way. Still I don't know where it comes from so I don't use it.

2c5000

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
1k' spools? holy shit. yeah i dont build that often. ive only had the 50' and 100' spools so maybe thats why...? anyway im convinced that i need to try some sandvik SS316 wire. is the SS wire that temco is selling sandvik? i see right now on temcos website that they dont have 100' spools of 26g SS316. only 25' and 50'. many of the other sizes are also on a 3 month backorder.

the company i work for is a sandvik distributor, but not on any wire. otherwise i would get a great discount on it. ugh

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I've had mods (cuboid & others) flip out of temp mode on me with stainless. I think it has more to do with the mod than the build. It seems like there's little window in the resistance where they can't tell that you're running a stainless build for temp control. Take note of the resistance of a working set of coils and try to keep your builds close to that. Maybe not the best advice haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2c5000

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've had mods (cuboid & others) flip out of temp mode on me with stainless. I think it has more to do with the mod than the build. It seems like there's little window in the resistance where they can't tell that you're running a stainless build for temp control. Take note of the resistance of a working set of coils and try to keep your builds close to that. Maybe not the best advice haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks for tip. ive been experimenting a lot lately and have SS builds of a wide variety of resistances. all staying in TC no problem. im pretty sure my issue was all about the leads just not being tight enough.

Jriley

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
That pic of the 1,000' LV spool is a constant haunting.. I wont buy ribbon from LV anymore either because of tangled ruined spots. Temco and KP has sent me the cleanest 100% flawless spools everytime... I honestly think the difference is the size spools they are on.

VU Sponsors