Become a Patron!

Ss temp control help

twisted

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
can some one point me to a good video or article to teach me about stainless steal and how to build with it. And any precautions or information I should know before I start messing with it. I have been doing research on it but every body has something different to say about it. Looked through the forum but didn't see much.

twisted

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A few question I'm looking for are
I'm using 316L

1 is it ok to glow your coils when you build them?
2 stainless steel is good to use in both wattage and temp modes?
3 I have heard if it heats up to hot it could make some type of gases that are bad?
4 any info that I might need to safely build and use it. I know the basics been building with kanthal for over a year now.

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yes, you can dry burn SS coils, and they work fine in either power mode or TC. There is really no way you'd get SS hot enough in vaping to cause any harm. The same basic build safety guidelines apply with SS as most any other coil. Just use Steam Engine or another coil calculator when building and make sure you coils are within the range that you mod can handle.

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
If using in power mode, no. If in TC you can go either way. Most prefer spaced, and some TC mods won't regulate temp correctly unless they're spaced.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
About the only other thing I can think of is to be aware that ss316L has lower resistance than other things like kanthal a1. Meaning if you're used to getting a particular target resistance at say 7 wraps of kanthal at 26ga you may find you have to use 28ga (thinner) ss and maybe 9 or 10 wraps.

Going by steam engine's resistance calculator, using 26ga kanthal a1 shooting for 1 ohm resistance with a 2.5mm inner diameter coil (single) you'd need 8 wraps. If keeping everything identical ss would require 16 wraps to get the same 1ohm resistance. If looking to get to 1ohm (as an example) with ss316L you'd be better off with 28ga wire and widening your inner diameter from 2.5mm to 3mm and then it would only take 9 wraps.

http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp

You may already know that but if not trying to save you from accidentally buying the same gauge wire as you're used to if you've been using kanthal or something. It also helps to know if you're into doing anything like twisted 2 wire coils in stainless since it drops the resistance even further. I had a 1.4 ohm coil in single wire and when I switched it up by using a 2 wire twisted coil I kept everything else the same, number of wraps etc. It dropped my resistance to .79 ohm. That's using 28ga, if you were to use 26 or 24ga ss and go with a simple twisted coil you could find yourself in some really low resistance really quick.

twisted

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes that's what I read it's about 1/2 the resistance of kanthal. I ordered 24,26,28 ga stainless steal. Going to try some 26 ga spaced coils. Got my Efusion duo coming in tomorrow and the stainless steal. I have had some other temp control devices but they didn't work so well for me. And I was using Nickel wire.

twisted

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Looking around on escribe and it shows ss316 is that the same as what I ordered ss316L? The videos I watch on escribe must be a old version cause they showed a link to steam engine for different metals to upload to escribe. And I can't find them

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm not familiar with escribe or the dna mods. ss316 should be the same I would think. The wire wizard tab on steam engine has an option to choose 316L from the dropdown.

http://prntscr.com/bii59x

There's a screenshot of the wire wizard with 316L selected and then at the upper right having selected 'dna' there's an option to download the tfr table as a .csv file. Is that what's needed to work with escribe? I could be way off, I'm only guessing since I've never used it.

twisted

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yea that's what I saw on previous videos but it seems they updated it and I don't see the upload csv file

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As stated , it is fine to glow your coils, ss can be used in power mode if you wished we well as temp mode, which is handy for me as I am forgetful and have lots of tanks/drippers.

I will admit SS does not work as well as TI or NI200 for temp control, but that is to be expected.

It stops dry hits , and seems to keep my tanks at a set temperature well enough.

I am actually preferring to build with it than kanthal.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As stated , it is fine to glow your coils, ss can be used in power mode if you wished we well as temp mode, which is handy for me as I am forgetful and have lots of tanks/drippers.

I will admit SS does not work as well as TI or NI200 for temp control, but that is to be expected.

It stops dry hits , and seems to keep my tanks at a set temperature well enough.

I am actually preferring to build with it than kanthal.
Is that just with your device or is ss316L supposed to be worse than nickel or titanium in tc mode? I thought it was the other way around. Why would it be expected to perform worse than the others in tc mode?

About the only negative I could come up with were several warnings for new vapers looking to use it because of it's low resistance which I'd have to assume is more of an issue with mech mods. In regulated mods so long as it ohms out within reason (within the capability of the device) it should be good to go in either vv/vw or tc mode. Something not many other wires are capable of, I think there's only a handful if that of devices that can do tc with kanthal. Of course taste is subjective but many seem to prefer the taste of ss.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Is that just with your device or is ss316L supposed to be worse than nickel or titanium in tc mode? I thought it was the other way around. Why would it be expected to perform worse than the others in tc mode?

About the only negative I could come up with were several warnings for new vapers looking to use it because of it's low resistance which I'd have to assume is more of an issue with mech mods. In regulated mods so long as it ohms out within reason (within the capability of the device) it should be good to go in either vv/vw or tc mode. Something not many other wires are capable of, I think there's only a handful if that of devices that can do tc with kanthal. Of course taste is subjective but many seem to prefer the taste of ss.

Its TCR is the reason is does not perform as well unfortunately in TC mode.
NI200 or TI changes resistance more when heated, and this can be read by the device more accurately than the smaller change with SS.

It's not just one device, I collect mods and just the way things work at the moment. I imagine as tech progresses, we may see SS working a lot better.

It does have a lower resistance, so for mech mods this should be taken into consideration, and some people do seem to prefer the taste yes. I just find it easier to work with in all honesty.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
what does spacing do for the coil aside from increasing surface area?

It can affect the wicking, Heating/Cooling (both speed and intensity), some say spaced coils stay cleaner longer, some say spaced coils provide better flavor ( just as many will say the opposite on those).. Don't know if true, but I have heard the TC performs better with contact coils. I know I burn more wicks when using contact coils than spaced.

MagicJosh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Its got a clean flavor. You can use it in Wattage Mod or temp control. And It doesnt cost alot

1glxdw.jpg

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I use it in both modes but I mostly vape TC mode and I find it's a much cleaner flavor than any other wire. I use manual TCR in my mods that have it and SS mode in ones that don't. I have a drawer full of other kinds of wires that I'll never use again.

EDIT: I should mention I use 24g SS316L and shoot for 0.25Ω

Last edited:

Canadian Vaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
1 is it ok to glow your coils when you build them?
yes that's is fine, if doing a microcoil it's pretty much necessary, without raking them you will get hot spots.

2 stainless steel is good to use in both wattage and temp modes?
Honestly, it's the only wire I like in Temp Mode.. I also use it in Wattage in my RTA's...

3 I have heard if it heats up to hot it could make some type of gases that are bad?
Pretty much would need to be glowing white hot for that to happen, that won't happen pretty much ever...

4 any info that I might need to safely build and use it. I know the basics been building with kanthal for over a year now.
SS is kind of springy especially when twisted, torching it will help or pulsing your coils then tightening them again..

Anyone wanna send a guy some temp control wire so I can see what it's all about. Never used it before don't know if I'll like it. Had another member offer but not a USA resident and the cost of mailing Id be a nicer person to buy some. Bit if you can spare some temp control wire and a stamp I'd really appreciate the opportunity to test my hand at temp control.

VU Sponsors