Become a Patron!

SS316L coils PLEASE HELP

cloudblast

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
so very briefly: i rebuild stock uwell crown coils with 26ga ss 7-8 wraps 2 wires at once to make a dual parallel vertical coil. Much like the stock, however there are 4 posts rather than 2 posts/legs and the other wire is fused. 5mm coil jig

i guess the vendor made a mistake and sent me 24ga same ss316l though. So how can i achieve .4 ohms with this wire? (Single wire and/or dual parallel, would like to try both) I have a 4mm coil jig since its thicker wire i assume i will need a thinner jig. Sorry im not an expert. My coil building experience is only with crown 1 stock coils.

please help, even if you never used crowns but used ss316l in said guage

thanks in advance

:tantrum:

Jriley

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
24g SS with 38G SS wrap is my favorite to use in TC, i build duals with them as 6 wraps i know what it ohms around .2ish dual and .4ish single

MWorthington

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
According to steam engine, 24g ss316, 2 strands paralleled single coil = 13 full wraps. If you want dual coils, single strand, each coil will need 13 full wraps.

I don't have any stainless wire yet so I can't swear to it 100% but steam engine calculations have always been pretty close to real world in everything I've actually made so far for what that's worth.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
The Uwell crown RBA is that what you are talking about cloud? If so you are gonna struggle to get much in there 24g requires extra wraps for the same resistence 26g would normally give you

Also what diameter do you normally use?

cloudblast

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Okay, guna try and reply to everyone at once in order.

@Jriley i forgot to try a smaller diameter build!! Thankyou for the idea, waiting on a 3mm jig that i ordered. As for the build. 2 strands of 24 get wrapped rite beside eachother. Parallel dual vertical coil. Both in this case will be 24 however before this 26ga

@MWorthington, the coil can do for sure 7-9 wraps and now i have to play with the diameter of the coil. Trying not to restrict airflow

@KingPin! the crow RBA is a ripoff. $12 for a single baby coil with a tiny piece of cotton. The stock coils are like a 4-pack or vertical rba's. These links are for you. Treat them as a guideline and get creative.

crown 1 is my die hard favourite tank. I own 4.

cloudblast

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
looks like some good old trial and error.

ill just make all the combinations. Since i have 10 coils that can be built. Waste of time and material but how many people can say "i build 10 coils and just try them all back-to-back" lol now i need the time.

thankyou for your input guys. Literally brainfart to try a 3mm build. As these coils are 4-5mm builds never tried less. A tad worried about a little tighter airflow but hey. Looks like ill just get some .26 wire and play with the 24 for now. I just hate people who hassle good harworking vendors over something stupid. Especially when 60ft of geekvape wire is $9US shipped. Cant beat that

cloudblast

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
One more question. In steam engine what does it mean if the heat capacity is in the red zone. Sorry new to steam engine and this is the only part i dont understand.

Attachments

• IMG_2574.PNG
    IMG_2574.PNG
    95.1 KB · Views: 15

David Wolf

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
One more question. In steam engine what does it mean if the heat capacity is in the red zone. Sorry new to steam engine and this is the only part i dont understand.
It means your coil is going to have more heat flux and will run hotter and your vape will be hotter.
Go here and scroll down to read more:
http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.html
The hotter the coil the hotter the juice and above certain temperatures the more aldehydes you will produce and vape, especially with high VG. If you care about such things. :eek:

Jriley

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
looks like some good old trial and error.

ill just make all the combinations. Since i have 10 coils that can be built. Waste of time and material but how many people can say "i build 10 coils and just try them all back-to-back" lol now i need the time.

thankyou for your input guys. Literally brainfart to try a 3mm build. As these coils are 4-5mm builds never tried less. A tad worried about a little tighter airflow but hey. Looks like ill just get some .26 wire and play with the 24 for now. I just hate people who hassle good harworking vendors over something stupid. Especially when 60ft of geekvape wire is $9US shipped. Cant beat that
Lol oh but i can... Kbee has 250ft rolls of 26g SS316L for 9.99 .

cloudblast

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
How do i fix the heat capacity

Attachments

• IMG_2574.PNG
    IMG_2574.PNG
    95.1 KB · Views: 8

David Wolf

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
So is 50-100 watts of power safe?

whatever i do it stays red
I have no idea. Coil temperature depends on so many things. Heat flux, air flow, juice density, etc. And how much aldehydes are actually produced no one knows without specific device scientific tests. Temp control can keep you under certain temps only if the settings are right, you have a decent mod, and your cold resistance is set accurate, otherwise your temps not accurate. 268 heat flux isn't horrible.i like mine around the 200 range or less but I'm a low power vaper. You're on your own but I see no need to panic from studies I've read. Vape on.

cloudblast

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thankyou for all your help. I literally build them without using steam engine or even an ohm tester so this is new to me. Obviously these tools are meant for rda decks but i just throw my build on my shittiest mod (which has short protection) and if it reads correct then no short. If its a short then it will say short without firing. Maybe one day when i run out of coils and all my crowns are dead. Then ill get an rda. Till then i love the crown too much. I own 4 of them and have more than 100 new coils. I rotate rebuilding the same 10 coils lol. And i even bought like 20 o ring sets at .50 cents each what a steal. Lots of spare glass. They should make me their mascot...

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Okay, guna try and reply to everyone at once in order.

@KingPin! the crow RBA is a ripoff. $12 for a single baby coil with a tiny piece of cotton. The stock coils are like a 4-pack or vertical rba's. These links are for you. Treat them as a guideline and get creative

? Sorry mate I was asking you ...I have the crown V1
the only way I know off you can do DIY coils on it is using that tiny RBA, what are you building on then?

Edit: sorry mate ignore me helps if I pick out what your were saying at the beginning lol - "I rebuild the stock coils"

cloudblast

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
? Sorry mate I was asking you ...I have the crown V1
the only way I know off you can do DIY coils on it is using that tiny RBA, what are you building on then?

Edit: sorry mate ignore me helps if I pick out what your were saying at the beginning lol - "I rebuild the stock coils"

thats okay, i added some videos

go into youtube and type crown stock coil rebuild. Way better than the rda. I dont care for the rba what so ever. The stock coils are like rdas that last a good 4-8 rebuilds.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
thats okay, i added some videos

go into youtube and type crown stock coil rebuild. Way better than the rda. I dont care for the rba what so ever. The stock coils are like rdas that last a good 4-8 rebuilds.

Just watched that vid gonna have to give that a go! Thanks for teaching me mate!

As Jr said if I were to use 24 I'd go for the 4mm as well around 13 wraps things is you want to maintain the same width as original i reckon you'll only be able to do this having coils touching rather than spaced

4mm 13 wraps
3mm 16 wraps

cloudblast

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I wonder if i can fit that many wraps in there with 24ga and 2 wires running parallel. But im glad i could show you this. On your behalf i regret all the burnt out coils you must have thrown out
!:gaah:

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
I wonder if i can fit that many wraps in there with 24ga and 2 wires running parallel. But im glad i could show you this. On your behalf i regret all the burnt out coils you must have thrown out
!:gaah:

Transitioned over the Uwell D2 to replace my crown V1 finally lol although still use it from time to time but those coils cost a lot

Much easier mate draw is similar and flavour is better and it's an RTA straight out the box....win win

cloudblast

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hmm... is it exactly the same?

Edit:

Just checked it out. So far if i was going to buy a rda rite now i like the geekvape griffin 25s dual airflow adjustment. Awesome deck. 510 or 810 drip tip capability. But for now i have no reason to get another tank. I want to actually wait a year and see some breakthrough rda come out when i run out of uwell coils. If that ever actually happens

Last edited:

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Hmm... is it exactly the same?

Edit:

Just checked it out. So far if i was going to buy a rda rite now i like the geekvape griffin 25s dual airflow adjustment. Awesome deck. 510 or 810 drip tip capability. But for now i have no reason to get another tank. I want to actually wait a year and see some breakthrough rda come out when i run out of uwell coils. If that ever actually happens

Just meant if you like the crown so much it's similar but easier to build on anyway happy vaping mate it's it works for you why change it ;)

I'm definitely gonna give this stock coil rebuild a go at some point

cloudblast

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just meant if you like the crown so much it's similar but easier to build on anyway happy vaping mate it's it works for you why change it ;)

I'm definitely gonna give this stock coil rebuild a go at some point

honestly im surprised i never seen it before. Deff guna snag one if it goes on sale, and im just so in love with the crown 1, i hope you nail the stock coil rebuild. Its actually really easy and almost unbelievable that i didnt learn it sooner. If you do it please let me know how it goes!

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
honestly im surprised i never seen it before. Deff guna snag one if it goes on sale, and im just so in love with the crown 1, i hope you nail the stock coil rebuild. Its actually really easy and almost unbelievable that i didnt learn it sooner. If you do it please let me know how it goes!

Well if you ever wanted to read into the D2 I did put my thoughts up on it as well as a wicking guide

http://vapingunderground.com/threads/uwell-d2-review-by-kingpin.338922/

Yeah I will report back on the stock coil front for sure :)

cloudblast

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

MWorthington

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

Heat capacity means how long it will take for the coil(s) to heat up and cool down. More wire mass - either more wraps, bigger diameter wire or both will have a higher heat capacity than a coil with smaller wire, or less wraps, or both.

Heat flux means how hot your vape is. I don't fully understand everything about it, but it's expressed in mW/mm squared. I'm thinking it relates to heat radiated as watts divided by the square of the surface area of the coil. In other words, when you take a vape, a higher heat flux numbered coil will be hotter than a lower numbered heat flux on the same size coil.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Checking it out now... "the fuck soul brotha" right about now, the funk soul brotha. Id continue but im guna check it out now, the funk soul brotha

WHAT HAVE I STARTED

He lives just down the road from me see him about a fair bit

He's a seagulls supporter so all good in my book! They always play his tunes before the game, Can't wait for premier league to start first time for us since the 80s in the top flight!

Last edited:
Heat flux means how hot your vape is. I don't fully understand everything about it, but it's expressed in mW/mm squared. I'm thinking it relates to heat radiated as watts divided by the square of the surface area of the coil. In other words, when you take a vape, a higher heat flux numbered coil will be hotter than a lower numbered heat flux on the same size coil.
Yeah, that's heat power received by the juice covering a 1x1mm square of wire surface. I think there are other factors influencing the vapor heat like the airflow cooling the coil and diluting the vape, particle size (maybe this explain why twisted wire produce hotter vape than single wire micro-coils)...

cloudblast

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Twisted wire produces more heat because the resistance is much less in comparison to a single strand coil also theres less surface area being hit with cool air like you mentioned.

regardless im just guna spin up some trial and error coils. 6-8 wraps. 4mm jig or 5mm jig. Single strand dual parallel strands. Lots of different combinations to try. Until in the mean time the correct size wire shows up

Twisted wire produces more heat because the resistance is much less in comparison to a single strand coil also theres less surface area being hit with cool air like you mentioned.

Indeed, more power, less surface and thus more heat flow. But some people have noticed that twisted wire produce hotter vape than the heat flow would suggest. I myself noticed that but have yet to do a rigorous comparison with two coils at the same heat flow...

Concerning you original problem, you could try to wire two coils in serial, for example by wrapping the inner legs in non resistive wire. If you achieve the same resistance (meaning that individual 26ga coils are 4 time more resistive than the individual 24ga coils) there should be no noticeable difference. Also serial is much less sensitive to unbalanced coils.
Never tried this myself, but i plan to do so when my SS wire arrive. I also hope than TC is more precise with serial setup.

cloudblast

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Indeed, more power, less surface and thus more heat flow. But some people have noticed that twisted wire produce hotter vape than the heat flow would suggest. I myself noticed that but have yet to do a rigorous comparison with two coils at the same heat flow...

Concerning you original problem, you could try to wire two coils in serial, for example by wrapping the inner legs in non resistive wire. If you achieve the same resistance (meaning that individual 26ga coils are 4 time more resistive than the individual 24ga coils) there should be no noticeable difference. Also serial is much less sensitive to unbalanced coils.
Never tried this myself, but i plan to do so when my SS wire arrive. I also hope than TC is more precise with serial setup.

these coils arent like a rda deck. Uwell crown 1 stock coils are vertical coils with the cotton wrapped around them, its essentially impossible to use twisted anything. Dual parallel coils or single wire coils are the only choices for this coil housing as anything thicker will not let the positive pin fit into the metal shell

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Transitioned over the Uwell D2 to replace my crown V1 finally lol although still use it from time to time but those coils cost a lot

Much easier mate draw is similar and flavour is better and it's an RTA straight out the box....win win
Love the D2!

As for the Crown V1, I still have it in my regular rotation along with the Mini's. They still are a great Tank, plus I use the RBA deck. The RBA deck is very finicky but once you get the build right it's easy from there on. I usually run a single 32x2/38 SS fused Clapton them, a wonderful Vape.

VU Sponsors