Become a Patron!

SS316L

MikeDommy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just got some SS316L Claptons at 28/36g. What would be a recommended resistance for TCR? Want to try it out. Thanksssss

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm not entirely sure what you're asking. TCR is not a measure of resistance. TCR is the rate at which the resistance of the wire climbs when heated ... temperature coefficient of resistance.

Going to steam-engine.org and using their wire wizard will help you determine the TCR. Typically for 316l it's 0.00098.

Knowing what it's supposed to be, though, and what works with your specific mod is a different question altogether. For instance, many smok mods want the TCR for stainless steel to be set around 110. Also, many mods do not use standard measurements for TCR. For instance, aspires latest offering what's whole numbers.

So, if you'll tell us what mod you have and what you're trying to achieve we might have better answers...

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

MikeDommy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm not entirely sure what you're asking. TCR is not a measure of resistance. TCR is the rate at which the resistance of the wire climbs when heated ... temperature coefficient of resistance.

Going to steam-engine.org and using their wire wizard will help you determine the TCR. Typically for 316l it's 0.00098.

Knowing what it's supposed to be, though, and what works with your specific mod is a different question altogether. For instance, many smok mods want the TCR for stainless steel to be set around 110. Also, many mods do not use standard measurements for TCR. For instance, aspires latest offering what's whole numbers.

So, if you'll tell us what mod you have and what you're trying to achieve we might have better answers...

Yeah, I get that. I just don’t know if a lower or higher resistance would be better in some way. Anyway, I’m using a Lost Vape Drone and I’ll likely go with the Dead Rabbit or Drop. Those are the 2 I use mostly.

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sorry, I wrote a response and forgot to hit send...

A dual coil 6 wrap spaced build on a 3mm mandrel will come in around .36 ohms. I'd set my mod to about three hundred eighty degrees to start, about 70 Watts preheat and go from there.

MikeDommy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Haha! No problem, brother! Thanks for the info. Exactly the answer I’ve been seeking :)

MikeDommy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So far so good. I did 6 spaced wraps. Came to about .4. Did you maybe mean 5 wraps? Anyway, at 380 degrees, the protection kicks on pretty fast. Maybe a second after reaching temp. Is that what it should be doing? I’m thinking yes. I like the quicker hit, but I’m guessing I need a higher temp to get a bit more from it. The flavor was actually better than normal on my Bonza, so I can’t be going in the wrong direction, I guess :))

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So far so good. I did 6 spaced wraps. Came to about .4. Did you maybe mean 5 wraps? Anyway, at 380 degrees, the protection kicks on pretty fast. Maybe a second after reaching temp. Is that what it should be doing? I’m thinking yes. I like the quicker hit, but I’m guessing I need a higher temp to get a bit more from it. The flavor was actually better than normal on my Bonza, so I can’t be going in the wrong direction, I guess :))
Well, .36 is a roughish guesstimate, and pretty close to .4, so...

You can increase the temp, and play with the wattage to dial in the vape you're happiest with. The singe point of cotton is 420 F. I start a little below that and usually end up around 450 F depending on the mod and wattage.

MikeDommy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

You can increase the temp, and play with the wattage to dial in the vape you're happiest with. The singe point of cotton is 420 F. I start a little below that and usually end up around 450 F depending on the mod and wattage.

Appreciate the feedback. Surprisingly I found no crap taste going from ni80 to SS. Can’t stomach kanthal lol

MikeDommy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Appreciate the feedback. Surprisingly I found no crap taste going from ni80 to SS. Can’t stomach kanthal lol

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
On my Pico i'd run that wire at TCR0070..... But I would start with the Natural TCR for 316L of 0094 and work my way to what feels right. Probably vape it for a while in VW and unregulated get a feel for the build first.

Ralph_K

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I think you have that wrong TCR for SS316L is .00092

VU Sponsors