Become a Patron!

Stainless mesh-only coils (no wire!?)

MasterTriangle

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I just tried using stainless mesh wound straight onto cotton and found it works pretty well:
ac7d9c5e82.jpg

(soz for phone camera and shit-tier build)

There are three main things that I think this is good for:
Since it is so thin and spread out it has very little thermal mass so there is almost no heatup/cooldown delay.
The juice wicks into and through the mesh, giving an excellent surface area and no part of the coil surface can really dry out mid-puff unless the cotton does not wick fast enough.
Also the efficiency is pretty high due to the large surface area to coil mass ratio, I suspect the efficiency that can be obtained from fine mesh may be higher than can be achieved with wire but that would require a comparison.

The main downside is that it is fiddly to wind since the mesh is not rigid which also means that you need to watch you don't short the loops (courser mesh would help here and also help with the ohmage) and I think it might get gunked up quicker (I'll see how that goes, it might not be a problem even if it does).

I'm not exactly a flavour connoisseur so I can't comment much on that but it seems the same as good pre-built coils. My throat is rather sensitive to burnt juice and bad coils in general though and the vape comes off this smoothly enough for me to handle the same sort of clouds as with pre-built TFV4 coils (but at a fraction of the wattage, the sextuple coils munch batteries like popplers).

The mesh was folded in half (double layer) and wound straight onto the cotton, mandrels are not much use. I don't know what micron this mesh is, I couldn't even count it with my binocular magnifier but it looks like 10-20 threads per mm, it's finer than it looks in the image, feels silky smooth and bends like receipt paper, I just got it with a cheap rebuilding kit that I wanted the mandrels out of. I think courser mesh may be better for getting a lower ohmage and make it easier to build so I'll buy some next time (this was 1.4ohms and ran nicest for me at 20-25W but I run most things at a fairly low wattage for the coil size). I couldn't find any posts about people using coils like this, is there a name for it yet that I can search? Also I think this can be done without cotton, possibly even with a tank with the fine mesh holding back the juice in the same way as the cotton cylinder in a pre-built coil.

The wicking benefit arises from the fact that the surface tension of liquids is a more dominant force at smaller scales, fine structures and small holes wick better because they literally suck harder, it's capillary action. This is exhibited somewhat by clapton coils and most coil art things since they have all the little gaps for the juice to wick through but they are still pretty course compared to most meshes.

Anyway, I would be keen to hear what an experienced vapist thinks of this stuff.

Side view:
ac7dae0992.jpg

The RTA coil in it's natural habitat:
ac6df6e604.jpg

Bonus photos of the other thing I made from mesh, a silly RDA "coil" that sort of works (the juice wicks upwards through the mesh fast enough to actually work (sort of lol, I was thinking of making another oil vape but changed my mind so I did, uh, that...)):
https://i.imgsafe.org/ac6df4a691.jpg
https://i.imgsafe.org/ac6df98ed5.jpg
I forgot to get a photo of the coil burn, surprisingly there were no contact point hotspots, though it was a pretty uneven glow since it is utter trash. There might be a salvageable concept in there somewhere though especially if you form the coil rather than just smooshing a pile of mesh.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
IMHO, I rather think the dude is rather new to vaping and quite possibly never considered that mesh is Old Tech.

So for him and all on his own (unless he admits otherwise) he thought that he came up with a new idea and shared it with us.

That being said, all on my own (no one else wants anything to do with this)........

I have invented the Grilled Limburger Cheese (on Rye) sandwich.

And my wife and daughter are witnesses as they came home when the "Thing" was removed from the flat iron.

Not documented unless I do it again at which point divorce papers will be served!

Even the cat's looked a little "Green"

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
IMHO, I rather think the dude is rather new to vaping and quite possibly never considered that mesh is Old Tech.

So for him and all on his own (unless he admits otherwise) he thought that he came up with a new idea and shared it with us.

That being said, all on my own (no one else wants anything to do with this)........

I have invented the Grilled Limburger Cheese (on Rye) sandwich.

And my wife and daughter are witnesses as they came home when the "Thing" was removed from the flat iron.

Not documented unless I do it again at which point divorce papers will be served!

Even the cat's looked a little "Green"
What do you mean SSMesh is old tech! You senile old fart. I'm vaping a mesh wick right now with a clapton wire I built wrapped around it...mesh may be old school but it still gives better flavor than those hunks of sofa stuffing you suck on....you limp wicked philistine.....but then what can one expect from a person whose palette finds grilled Limburger on rye a gastronmical treat....

Last edited:

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
What do you mean SSMesh is old tech! You senile old fart. I'm vaping a mesh wick right now with a clapton wire I built wrapped around it...mesh may be old school but it still gives better flavor than those hunks of sofa stuffing you suck on....you limp wicked philistine.....but then what can one expect from a person whose palette finds grilled Limburger on rye a gastronmical treat....

Whoa buddy!

I did not mean to offend. Far from it.

I only chimed in because the OP was getting fire for thinking he had discovered the newest best thing in vaping when in fact that this vape "Tech" has been around for quite a while now.

I remember (where our beloved "Noobs" may not) when the "Gennies (SP?) were all the rage.

Like the AGA T2 for example

One of the most popular ways to build was using SS Mesh of which I still have some packed away with my T2.

Personally, try as I could, I just could not get the SS Mesh installed correctly so a most sincere "Hat's Off" to you and the OP for getting it to work!

But in the vaping world, it is still "Old Tech" relatively speaking compared to all the advancements that have been made in the last 3 years!

Spark plugs are also "Old Tech". Don't know what you use (perhaps a Clapton Coil wrapped in SS Mesh) but I still use them in my car!:D

Yes, I am an "Old Fart" and somewhat proud of it to be honest.

Senile? Well check back with me in another 20 years or so:wait:

And yes, my "Wick

Sucking on "Sofa Stuffing" I will gladly leave to you as I use China Grass. Reasonably priced for making wicks but far to expensive and hard to get for the Stuffing of Sofa's:gaah:

And yes, my "Wick" is indeed limp. I get much better results with a limper wick that is also a bit "Fluffy" thank you so much:giggle:

I also rather like the taste of Limburger Cheese on Rye with some diced red onions on top (BTW, this is a classic German "Old World Snack best served with dark beer). Just like the inventor of the Clapton Coil, I was willing to experiment.

His idea worked:confetti: (and I am so glad it did) and mine did not and I quickly got over the failure.

FYI, you might take a moment or two to look up the meaning of "Philistine" as try as I might, I really think it applies more to you than to me.

Heck, I will even help you out:D
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/philistine

Lastly, "gastronmical" (your spelling not mine) is spelled "Gastronomical"

Just a quick heads up, when Vapor Joe the beloved founder of The Vaping Underground (yes, this place) put this forum together, he spared no expense and included a SPELL CHECK function.

For example, if you type in "Gastronmical" you will see that it is underlined in RED!

All you have to do is use your mouse, that little Do-dad beside your keyboard with two buttons and a rotating wheel in the middle and "right click" on the underlined word and it will help you correct your spelling so that in the end, it shows the correct spelling of "Gastronomical"!

Easy to perform and pure GENIUS on Joe's part!

To conclude......................

:finger:

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
The difference seems to be that mesh in genesis attys was used as the wicking material (with a kanthal or nichrome coil) and this guy is using the mesh as the coil (with cotton wicking) in this application

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
The difference seems to be that mesh in genesis attys was used as the wicking material (with a kanthal or nichrome coil) and this guy is using the mesh as the coil (with cotton wicking) in this application

Tried that as well.

Still could not get it to work!:headbang:

MasterTriangle

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yep, this is my first time on vape forums so I'm definitely a newbie, I'm not sure I'd even call myself a "vape enthusiast" at least not to the same level as most people on here so I'm probably missing a good chunk of the lingo too.

Were you guys talking about wire wrapped onto mesh gennie-style? (The only person who I could tell for sure had gotten it was 5150sick & UncleRJ). I've done that but couldn't find much about mesh-only coils without wire so I thought I'd make a post about it, after a bit of searching I have found a few people who have done the same thing, which is what I expected since it is a pretty obvious idea, and which is why I asked what this type of coil is called. The main thing I am wondering is why it is not more common? Is there something wrong with it?
Those are the sort of things I was hoping to learn by posting on here.

I only found a couple but I am sure there must be more out there:
Here is one that I actually learnt a bit from: https://www.reddit.com/r/electronic_cigarette/comments/41xzwf/ss_mesh_coil_experiment/
Here's another one (pretty much no information): http://www.nu-vapor.com/showthread.php?17126-Mesh-coils!!!

Also I'm still vaping this coil (I made it last week) and it is going ok, it's looking worse but tasting better which is interesting, just waiting to see what happens when it gets a bit older.

If someone could get a mesh coil to work on a mesh wick I would be quite impressed.
And hats off to Jimi D for the most useless post, in so many ways.

Edit: I also have a very early prototype for something that I actually believe has not been tried, it's a strange construction that can get sub-ohm resistance out of 40awg wire (if you want to take it that far) while being trivial to wind and totally resistant to shorts but I'm not sure if anybody wants such weird and wacky stuff...
And if someone knows of a better tank for TFV4 coils I would be keen to hear since the Smok tank has a pretty stupid refilling method.

Last edited:

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Whoa buddy!

I did not mean to offend. Far from it.

I only chimed in because the OP was getting fire for thinking he had discovered the newest best thing in vaping when in fact that this vape "Tech" has been around for quite a while now.

I remember (where our beloved "Noobs" may not) when the "Gennies (SP?) were all the rage.

Like the AGA T2 for example

One of the most popular ways to build was using SS Mesh of which I still have some packed away with my T2.

Personally, try as I could, I just could not get the SS Mesh installed correctly so a most sincere "Hat's Off" to you and the OP for getting it to work!

But in the vaping world, it is still "Old Tech" relatively speaking compared to all the advancements that have been made in the last 3 years!

Spark plugs are also "Old Tech". Don't know what you use (perhaps a Clapton Coil wrapped in SS Mesh) but I still use them in my car!:D

Yes, I am an "Old Fart" and somewhat proud of it to be honest.

Senile? Well check back with me in another 20 years or so:wait:

And yes, my "Wick

Sucking on "Sofa Stuffing" I will gladly leave to you as I use China Grass. Reasonably priced for making wicks but far to expensive and hard to get for the Stuffing of Sofa's:gaah:

And yes, my "Wick" is indeed limp. I get much better results with a limper wick that is also a bit "Fluffy" thank you so much:giggle:

I also rather like the taste of Limburger Cheese on Rye with some diced red onions on top (BTW, this is a classic German "Old World Snack best served with dark beer). Just like the inventor of the Clapton Coil, I was willing to experiment.

His idea worked:confetti: (and I am so glad it did) and mine did not and I quickly got over the failure.

FYI, you might take a moment or two to look up the meaning of "Philistine" as try as I might, I really think it applies more to you than to me.

Heck, I will even help you out:D
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/philistine

Lastly, "gastronmical" (your spelling not mine) is spelled "Gastronomical"

Just a quick heads up, when Vapor Joe the beloved founder of The Vaping Underground (yes, this place) put this forum together, he spared no expense and included a SPELL CHECK function.

For example, if you type in "Gastronmical" you will see that it is underlined in RED!

All you have to do is use your mouse, that little Do-dad beside your keyboard with two buttons and a rotating wheel in the middle and "right click" on the underlined word and it will help you correct your spelling so that in the end, it shows the correct spelling of "Gastronomical"!

Easy to perform and pure GENIUS on Joe's part!

To conclude......................

:finger:
You senile old fool I was just teasing you pulling your chain and you go all serious on me.......tell me you do not use ramie/china grass, I threw the bag of that stuff I had laying around out over a year ago......I didn't think anybody still used that stuff...The AGA-T2 huh... only the second worst genny ever built. got say this for it though...if you could learn how to build on the t2 you could build on any genny in the world after that....piece of crap....as for spelling I find it a tedious and boring obsession...if you like I will leave you with this short list of notorious bad spellers,.....and what do you mean you had to "look up" the word phillisitine...........
Winston Churchill
Albert Einstien
Hemignway
F.Scott Fitzgerald
Agatha Christie.

Last edited:

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yep, this is my first time on vape forums so I'm definitely a newbie, I'm not sure I'd even call myself a "vape enthusiast" at least not to the same level as most people on here so I'm probably missing a good chunk of the lingo too.

Were you guys talking about wire wrapped onto mesh gennie-style? (The only person who I could tell for sure had gotten it was 5150sick & UncleRJ). I've done that but couldn't find much about mesh-only coils without wire so I thought I'd make a post about it, after a bit of searching I have found a few people who have done the same thing, which is what I expected since it is a pretty obvious idea, and which is why I asked what this type of coil is called. The main thing I am wondering is why it is not more common? Is there something wrong with it?
Those are the sort of things I was hoping to learn by posting on here.

I only found a couple but I am sure there must be more out there:
Here is one that I actually learnt a bit from: https://www.reddit.com/r/electronic_cigarette/comments/41xzwf/ss_mesh_coil_experiment/
Here's another one (pretty much no information): http://www.nu-vapor.com/showthread.php?17126-Mesh-coils!!!

Also I'm still vaping this coil (I made it last week) and it is going ok, it's looking worse but tasting better which is interesting, just waiting to see what happens when it gets a bit older.

If someone could get a mesh coil to work on a mesh wick I would be quite impressed.
And hats off to Jimi D for the most useless post, in so many ways.

Edit: I also have a very early prototype for something that I actually believe has not been tried, it's a strange construction that can get sub-ohm resistance out of 40awg wire (if you want to take it that far) while being trivial to wind and totally resistant to shorts but I'm not sure if anybody wants such weird and wacky stuff...
And if someone knows of a better tank for TFV4 coils I would be keen to hear since the Smok tank has a pretty stupid refilling method.

There are just so many resistance wires that do a better job than ss mesh, and with infinite numbers of wires you can build..claptons,fused claptons.alien wire,staple,..ect...mesh makes for a poor substitute,plus wire is just so much easier to work with in this sort of application........as for the flavor getting better...when you build a mesh wick for a genny there is a break in time.or as the say the wick gets bedded and the flavor and the vapor production gets better.that is what accounts for the flavor improving..but alot of the fun about vaping is fiddeling around with ...ideas...sounds like you are having fun. if you wanna try something real fun you may want to look t how to build a "U" wick made out of ss mesh and put that in your atty with kanthal around it. here check this guy out....I think it would have worked better for him though if he had cut the mesh on a 45 degree angle it probablly would have bent easier.

You know something that might be fun to try is rolling up a ss mesh straw wick and using it as the coil like you did..it would absorb and hold more juice that way.

Last edited:

MasterTriangle

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I gave that a go and it looks nice, tastes a bit off but I might have burned it too hot for such fine wire before wicking. Makes pretty nice clouds for the very poor airflow. Here's some pics:

I had to make a pretty crap coil out of it when it came to wicking it since there wasn't really room for that shape of coil in the middle, I think I need some other RDAs if I am going to make big single coils like this. If I try it again I might fuse it, that would keep it small enough to fit in nicely but I think that might oxidise the wire a bit too much and might bring the resistance too low. A courser mesh may simply weld to itself internally and hold it's position after heating it to a nice glow, so you could just arrange the coil and heat to set it's shape, it would be stiffer for wicking and probably wouldn't oxidise as easily either when glowing. I'm sure you can get higher quality mesh too, food/medical grade or such which would be much nicer.

The coil was rolled by rolling a strip around a mandrel lenghways then twisting and rolling it on the mandrel so that it forms a spiral tube with the mesh at a 45deg angle, the tube does not kink easily or unwind by itself and is actually quite springy, grabbing each end and twisting the tube makes it curl into a spiral (like with thick rope) then I just stuck the mandrel through the middle and tightened the coil a bit around it.

c3251ac797.jpg

c32534103a.jpg

Nice even glow except where I crushed the tube:
c3233ddb9e.jpg

The sad result:
c3248d04d1.jpg

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I gave that a go and it looks nice, tastes a bit off but I might have burned it too hot for such fine wire before wicking. Makes pretty nice clouds for the very poor airflow. Here's some pics:

I had to make a pretty crap coil out of it when it came to wicking it since there wasn't really room for that shape of coil in the middle, I think I need some other RDAs if I am going to make big single coils like this. If I try it again I might fuse it, that would keep it small enough to fit in nicely but I think that might oxidise the wire a bit too much and might bring the resistance too low. A courser mesh may simply weld to itself internally and hold it's position after heating it to a nice glow, so you could just arrange the coil and heat to set it's shape, it would be stiffer for wicking and probably wouldn't oxidise as easily either when glowing. I'm sure you can get higher quality mesh too, food/medical grade or such which would be much nicer.

The coil was rolled by rolling a strip around a mandrel lenghways then twisting and rolling it on the mandrel so that it forms a spiral tube with the mesh at a 45deg angle, the tube does not kink easily or unwind by itself and is actually quite springy, grabbing each end and twisting the tube makes it curl into a spiral (like with thick rope) then I just stuck the mandrel through the middle and tightened the coil a bit around it.

c3251ac797.jpg

c32534103a.jpg

Nice even glow except where I crushed the tube:
c3233ddb9e.jpg

The sad result:
c3248d04d1.jpg

Cool Yeah I expected it to spring back and not hold it's shape...what you could try is...find something to wrp the coil around that isn't conductive like glass or cermic install the coil with the pin you wrap it in , then glow and cool a couple of times,drench the coil with a few drops of juice, heat again to glow do that a couple of times, then pull the pin the coil is wrapped around out and see if it holds it's shape, also it will probablly help with the taste as well, this way you are oxidizing your mesh in the atty rather than before you roll the wick...tell me how the taste is affected after it's been vaped for a little while....how that will affect the resistance I've no idea.but it should help it hold it's shape...cool looking coil though....does it give alot of vapor? another idea may be to wrap your coil around a metal pin and then holding it all in place somehow torching the coil with a red to cool a few times, and see if it holds it's shape and then install in the atty.

Last edited:

MasterTriangle

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It gives a surprising amount vapor for the build, I'd like to try it with some sort of reasonable airflow since the coil is mounted way up in the RDA (the mouthpiece would touch it if I put it in) and has poor airflow underneath, I'll make another one or two when I get an appropriate RDA and I'll try the burning juice thing you suggested.
If I get a centre flow RDA I also might try fusing it, aligning it vertically, and wrapping the wick around the outside, might be hard to get the resistance high enough though if fused.

MasterTriangle

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ooh nice, thanks.
If it's normal topfill rather than their proprietary flip-open thing that Smok thinks is so good then it is already better, they need to drop that feature or make an alternate tank since the coil range is too nice to be stuck with it. Pity about the non-standard drip tip though, you can already get plenty of airflow with the standard diameter, there is an 510 adaptor that you can buy separately though. I might pick that up soon since I quite like the pre-built TFV4 coils.
And I just realised I can move one of the posts in my RDA, that should give me enough room for doing that mesh tube thing properly.

VU Sponsors