Become a Patron!

Stainless- metallic taste?

ProgHouseDJ

Member For 1 Year
hello!

I have been using thick stainless round wire for a while with no problems, and stainless cores with kanthal wrapping for Claptons. I got some 36g stainless to make all stainless Claptons, with 28 and 26 cores. After building for a couple different RDAs and RTAs, I’m noticing a fairly strong metallic flavor. Is this an indication of something going wrong, does it go away with time, and is there a way to prevent it from happening?

Thanks!

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
hello!

I have been using thick stainless round wire for a while with no problems, and stainless cores with kanthal wrapping for Claptons. I got some 36g stainless to make all stainless Claptons, with 28 and 26 cores. After building for a couple different RDAs and RTAs, I’m noticing a fairly strong metallic flavor. Is this an indication of something going wrong, does it go away with time, and is there a way to prevent it from happening?

Thanks!
If you dry burn SS316L too hot it will give off quite the nasty metallic flavor. Not to mention hazardous to your health.

http://vapingunderground.com/threads/wts-wtt-aspex-performance-coils.434798/

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
a bad connection on a coil will also give off a metallic taste.
A really bad connection will give off a horrible vape.

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
What temperature would be good for dry burning to get them heating evenly?
I pulse them in wattage mode just until the color from inside to outside evenly. I just built these at .09 ohms and pulsed them slowly at 40 watts. Then wick, prime, turn up the watts, and vape like hell!
ea40d47b043b729ad820e463c1315941.jpg
a2fabddcf2845748fc906bb01a7226e3.jpg
52937c812e7990ab547445c2ecd3ff58.jpg

http://vapingunderground.com/threads/wts-wtt-aspex-performance-coils.434798/

ProgHouseDJ

Member For 1 Year

ProgHouseDJ

Member For 1 Year
a bad connection on a coil will also give off a metallic taste.
A really bad connection will give off a horrible vape.

Tried to fix all the coil issues, same taste. Swapped out for a straight coil of nichrome and same thing. I did check the 510 and the pin was a little loose, and the tank I’m using doesn’t have an insulator surrounding the 510, just underneath. I tightened the screw down and made sure it’s not touching the sides of the threading. Still getting a funky taste. Would the bad connection screw up the coil right off the jump and need replacing or should it be good after I fixed the issue?

Thanks for all the replies so far everyone :)

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
coil should be good after loose connection is fixed.
However atty may need cleaning to get rid of taste?
I was thinking more of a loose connection at the coil ends...

When pulsing to dry fire does one end of the other of the coil get red fast?
If so look for your problem there.

ProgHouseDJ

Member For 1 Year
coil should be good after loose connection is fixed.
However atty may need cleaning to get rid of taste?
I was thinking more of a loose connection at the coil ends...

When pulsing to dry fire does one end of the other of the coil get red fast?
If so look for your problem there.

When I first fire it up the ends get red first, but I adjust them until they glow evenly from the center. I’ve been building stuff without this issue for a while, this is the first time I’ve run across it. I’m guessing it may just be this atomizer. It’s a Shenray clone of the Taifun GT4. I usually only use squonk RDAs, was just giving this a spin to see how it works. The same stainless coils in my drippers are working fine.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
When I first fire it up the ends get red first,

Sounds like you are overheating stainless. A slight red glow is all I have found stainless takes. Good Luck and you have already gotten some good info~!

Last edited:

ProgHouseDJ

Member For 1 Year
Sounds like you are overheating stainless. A slight red glow is all I have found stainless takes. Good Luck and you have already gotten some good info~!
I’m having the same issue with a nichrome coil now too though, and I was very gentle with the dry burning on this one.

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I’m having the same issue with a nichrome coil now too though, and I was very gentle with the dry burning on this one.
I wrecked a n80 coil a few nites ago while overheating in a dry burn

ProgHouseDJ

Member For 1 Year
I wrecked a n80 coil a few nites ago while overheating in a dry burn
I guess I’m just curious why this would start happening now, I’ve been using nichrome and stainless for about 5 months now and this is the first time I’ve had anything like this happen. The last couple coils I tried in this I heated a lot less than I usually do.

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
N80 can take a shit ton of heat. I always try n not heat it past the outer wraps. Always brings issues n deformation

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I dont have much experience with ss

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Clean the deck n start fresh

ProgHouseDJ

Member For 1 Year
I remember a reviewer saying something about having a funky taste on something and it ended up being the o rings- I guess they soaked up some machine oil. I may try taking all of them off, cleaning it all reall well, and putting on all the spares that came with it and see if that helps. The thing has like 12 o rings...

VU Sponsors