Become a Patron!

Stainless steel mesh vs Japanese organic cotton sheets

iheartmyed9

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I started on my RDA with plain old organic cotton from the local Walgreens then moved to a product called cotton bacon, not I'm using Japanese organic cotton on all my builds, every time I get better flavor and more vapor, I'm a bit of a chain vapor and a bit of a cloud chaser, I want to try stainless mesh, I heard if you roll it into a ball and feed it through the coils it will have the best of both worlds and it makes sense, you'd only be tasting the juice, right?

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Depends on the juice. Stainless steel mesh is a pain in the ass to get set up correctly with out shorts.

iheartmyed9

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Any examples or pics of how to set up these coils? The stainless mesh is Greek to me. But I'm also looking for the biggest and best.

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I haven't been able to figure out mesh yet , every time i try i only get a real nasty harsh taste. The FT Veritas comes with some mesh and i heard one guy say mesh blows away everything else for taste but i haven't experienced anything good yet.

I just stick to Rayon now.

iheartmyed9

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
A friend at my last job says its just incredible for vapor output and taste, I use jap cotton now, been using it for 3 months before that it was cotton bacon for around a year, but I like the mesh idea for no dry hit, no burnt cotton, which happens to me often, as I said I chain vape and push it to the limit instead of redripping and end up burning my cotton

Last edited:

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
here a vid that may help you set up a genesis atty with ss mesh.

iheartmyed9

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm actually wanting to use mesh on a RDA, is this even possible?

Kemosabe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
yes, you can use SS mesh in a dripper. video search for "ss slug wick". its called a slug because it resembles a wet slug. youll want to roll the mesh with the weave going diagonally, as opposed to the weave going vertically/horizontally. this allows the mesh to bend and conform to the shape of your drip well without kinking. or you could roll vertical wicks with a dripper like the origen.

#500 mesh is my recommendation. its a nice fine weave and wicks the best IMO. youll want to fully oxidize your mesh. this is done with a torch and a quenching process. torch, quench in water at least 3x, then torch and quench in VG or PG or even the juice you plan to drip at least 3x. pay special attention to the edges of the mesh (cut them with the sharpest blade you have and make the cut very straight, then torch that edge well so there are no stray mesh "hairs"). then do the process all over again once you roll the wick.

i am an occasional genesis atomizer user, but i used to be all-genny for a while. the flavor from a well-built genesis is untouchable. so crisp, so clean, just immaculate. it makes bakery flavors absolutely sing. the nuances and overall depth of flavor is astounding. i never however experienced anything special with more basic flavors. they simply come through accurately. much of what youd get with a fibrous wicking material. so if youre into complex flavors youll notice more of a difference with mesh than if you vape basic flavors. and by complex i mean different flavors combined together and also different layers such as savory and sweet.

i since have migrated away from my genny tanks simply for the druipper-style lung inhales. i just prefer to vape that way. i never got into sub ohming and large air holes on my gennys becasue it muted the flavor, kinda defeating the purpose of going through the whole rigmarole to get your wick and coil just right. its a pain in the ass to get a mesh wick set up, but once you do, your golden for a long time. you dont replace the wick often, just dry burn when needed. with a cotton wick dripper, you spend a little time with each new wick, which can add up but is never a pain. with a genny, you put all the work in at the beginning, then you just coast.

oh and another tip for a mesh wick is to absolutely make sure there is zero gap between the wick and coil. even a half of a millimeter will cause bad taste. you want 100% contact, without choking the wick. its a tightrope that only experience (or luck) can solve. one trick is to place a tiny revolution of rolling paper between your wick and coil. use juice to make it stick. you can either fire the device or touch flame to the paper once its set. blow aways the ash and what youre left with is a carbon buildup filling any unnoticed gaps between the coil and wick. eventually juice gunk would fill this gap if you hadnt used the paper, but this process speeds up the break-in process. dont give up on the build if everything looks kosher but flavor isnt 100% yet. give er several vapes to tell for sure if youre on the right path. you work will be rewarded with superior flavor. you gotta be persistent with mesh.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I used and still use Gennies for years and whilst I agree completely with @Kemosabe , I still dispute the need to quench after torching. It does not hurt at all to do that, just dont see the extra step as necessary. I will say that my mantra whilst setting a coil on the wick is "hug the wick, do not strangle it". Lately I've been using Japanese cotton in my Sat22's and OZ22.

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Funny thing about ss mesh, I've tried all the methods to set it up and the best (but most time consuming) is the pulse method IMHO.

VU Sponsors