https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
The Goliath is the only tank I have that is conducive to a dual coil build and the deck is so tiny I stick with kanthal builds on it. Other than that, I haven't had any issues with nickel builds except for them being a pain in the ass to wick without wrecking an otherwise beautiful coil. It can be particularly challenging when wicking with rayon because rayon needs to be quite a bit tighter inside the coil than cotton does. In the end, I think it's been worth the trouble though. Stainless steel has the potential to change all that.

It took a me little while to get the hang of vaping with stainless, but I'm probably just too slow at adapting to change. Now that I've adjusted, I think it's great. Funny that using TC devices seem to have made me more sensitive to slight changes in temperature and flavor rather than the other way around like one would expect.
With nickel the trick to Wicking is to roll the cotton tight slip it in, unroll it, then fluff it.
When you take the old wick out to rewick, roll it again then cut the thick side of the cotton and pull it out ...

Okay, I've been getting used to using this 24g SS for a couple days and there was a small learning curve. I burnt up the first wick within a couple hours. Doesn't seem like it's conducive to chain vaping like I tend to do when I'm trying something new. I had to compromise my style and turn down the watts a couple notches. The second wick is fine. I just had to pay closer attention until I got the hang of it. I can see where this SS could benefit from a TC device with a SS mode though. I tried using the Ti settings on my Evic and that didn't really pan out as I'd hoped. Maybe a smaller ga. wire would work better for that. *shrugs* The taste is clean and good. Dry burning between wicks was fine. I can easily imagine this coil lasting a very long time. Time will tell, eh?

I got a small roll of Ti from Unkamen, but I threw it in the cabinet and haven't tried it yet. I'm afraid I might find out what ass tastes like and I don't want to know.
Hey.. are you still using 302/304 SS coils? I recently started using the Crown tank. I know they have stainless steel coils..and the flavor is amazing.. so I picked up some 302/304 SS to try and bring that clean flavor to my drippers. But everywere I look..everyone says to use 317ss. I've only seen about 2 people post that they are using 302/304 SS, you and someone else :) I'm a little nervous to try it. thats why I'm asking if you are still using it. and what are your opinions on 302/304 vs 317SS. this is the stuff I got. (blue canister) http://www.malinco.com/aerospace-lockwire.html#bluecan thanks for your time :)

IML8

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey.. are you still using 302/304 SS coils? I recently started using the Crown tank. I know they have stainless steel coils..and the flavor is amazing.. so I picked up some 302/304 SS to try and bring that clean flavor to my drippers. But everywere I look..everyone says to use 317ss. I've only seen about 2 people post that they are using 302/304 SS, you and someone else :) I'm a little nervous to try it. thats why I'm asking if you are still using it. and what are your opinions on 302/304 vs 317SS. this is the stuff I got. (blue canister) http://www.malinco.com/aerospace-lockwire.html#bluecan thanks for your time :)
That's what I got. Blue canister with a Malin Company label, but I got mine here: http://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/31980105

I'm loving it so far. I wick it with rayon and the taste is incredibly clean. The only difference between 302/304 and 316/317 is that 316 has higher concentrations of chromium, nickel with molybdenum added principally for increased strength and protection against corrosive salts and 317 has even higher concentrations of those components. I can't think of any reason I need those high levels of chromium, nickel and molybdenum . 302/304 has no molybdenum, works just fine for my purposes and it's much, much cheaper. It does need to be thoroughly cleaned, burned and rinsed before using it though, in my opinion. The manufacturers don't have vapers in mind, so it comes with some dirt and oil residue still on it from the manufacturing process.

BTW, I also just ordered the Crown tank to see what all the hubbub is about. I'll order the RBA section when I wear out the coils that come with it.

Last edited:

PLANETGETLOW

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've been using titanium wire for about a month now, 26 gauge and .5 millimeter with pretty successful luck my best build so far was a triple stranded 26 gauge twisted parallel, 10 wraps sitting around .07 Ohms.

I have tried various builds but want to know what others are finding that works.

1. What size wire?
2. Dual or single coil
3. What is the target Ohm range
4. How long are your coils lasting
5. How do you clean them

That's what I got. Blue canister with a Malin Company label, but I got mine here: http://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/31980105

I'm loving it so far. I wick it with rayon and the taste is incredibly clean. The only difference between 302/304 and 316/317 is that 316 has higher concentrations of chromium, nickel with molybdenum added principally for increased strength and protection against corrosive salts and 317 has even higher concentrations of those components. I can't think of any reason I need those high levels of chromium, nickel and molybdenum . 302/304 has no molybdenum, works just fine for my purposes and it's much, much cheaper. It does need to be thoroughly cleaned, burned and rinsed before using it though, in my opinion. The manufacturers don't have vapers in mind, so it comes with some dirt and oil residue still on it from the manufacturing process.

BTW, I also just ordered the Crown tank to see what all the hubbub is about. I'll order the RBA section when I wear out the coils that come with it.

YES!!! thanks for the info. cant wait to build with it. I got the 22 gauge. which I think might be too thick for the ohms I'm going for. im shooting for .25ohms, which would mean 16 wrap each coil for a dual coil. LOL.. i don't think that will do. so till i receive my 26 gauge ss, i'm going to have to just run a single coil 8 wrap. I'll keep you posted. and I'll make sure to clean it REALLY good. also.. I think you will love the crown tank. I'm a dripper. have tried countless tanks.. and the Crown gives me a close to dripping experience. she is a juice whore though. :)

IML8

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've only built and used the one coil so far. I wrapped it on a 1/8th inch (approximately 3 mm) X 4 inch toggle bolt to follow the threading and get evenly spaced wraps. 7 spaced wraps of 24 ga., with slightly longer than the average legs (needed for the Morph tank RBA deck), turned out to be .38 ohms, but after it was wicked and broke-in it settled on .42 ohms (goes up to .46 after a couple lung hits heat it up). 30 watts seems just about right for me. Higher than 35 watts and it starts getting too warm for me, but it still works well down to 20 if you prefer it cooler. I think I would have preferred the 26 ga., but I'm happy with the 24. I have enough to last a lifetime, so I might as well learn to love it.

I needed another tank like I need another hole in my head, but I'm really looking forward to trying out the Crown.

Just wanted to offer my recent experience with SS 316L vaping in TC/VW.

Initial experience - Crown Coils
Started off and Variable Wattage and fell in love with the flavor from SS. It's my go to tank due to this coil, however as of recently I have to say that the TFV4 mini with clapton coils is awesome and comes in a close second.

However, this piqued my curiosity for vaping in SS. Decided to pick up some UD SS 316L from my favorite vendor, in 24/26/28 ga. Fast forward to today.
My current build in use:
Dual twisted (2 wire) 26g SS 316L - 9 wraps around a 3.5mm rod contact coil, comes out to .25 ohm on my Hannya RDA @ 400F 80W
Crown Coil .25 ohm @ 400F 80W

I ended up building this just like I would a kanthal build, required no special treatment other than the usual cleaning / firing and wow. I haven't turned back from SS since, except for the occasional clapton / helix build for fun. Flavor-wise, I'm incredibly impressed. TC works like a charm, however I'm running a Lavabox DNA 200 with imported SS 316L specs thanks to steam engine, so it's a bit easier for me to dial things in thanks to escribe. Also, I decided after some reading to try out the crown tank in TC on the Lavabox as well and it's performing so well. I have it set usually between 400F-420F @ 70W-80W and the flavor and performance is consistent. I have found that at temps higher that the coil does seem to have a bit of trouble keeping itself wicked, but I chainvape like mad so... my experience may differ from you.

Long story short: I love the flavor, performance, and how easy it is to build with. I'll use up the rest of my Ni80, Kanthal, and Titanium and just go SS from now on.

Kizzer49

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So I just ordered a evic vtc mini. Plan on using SS for the temp control. Im trying to find some good info on building the coils. Do they need to be gapped? Dry burning? Pinched? I read somewhere not to torch them. To much scattered information is kinda making me nervous about using it. I havent used only kanthal sense starting vaping. Any infor would be appreciated!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My ss 316L arrived yesterday. I built dual coils the same way I build kanthal - contact and dry burned - works beautifully!

Kizzer49

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My ss 316L arrived yesterday. I built dual coils the same way I build kanthal - contact and dry burned - works beautifully!
I heard you basically build same as kanthal but not to burn them cherry red. Just to basically pulse them a lil.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I heard you basically build same as kanthal but not to burn them cherry red. Just to basically pulse them a lil.

I pulsed mine cherry red - maybe I missed out on that information! I don't do that with Ti of course.

Kizzer49

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hmm.. Alright. Im just trying to read up a lil and inform myself before i try everything out.

So its safe to dry burn stainless steel? Just got mine and cant find any information on how to really do it safe before using it..

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So its safe to dry burn stainless steel? Just got mine and cant find any information on how to really do it safe before using it..
As far as I know it's fine. You can't dry burn Ni200, because it just melts, and you can dry burn Ti but have to stop short of letting it get the titanium dioxide film.

Just wanted to offer my recent experience with SS 316L vaping in TC/VW.

Initial experience - Crown Coils
Started off and Variable Wattage and fell in love with the flavor from SS. It's my go to tank due to this coil, however as of recently I have to say that the TFV4 mini with clapton coils is awesome and comes in a close second.

However, this piqued my curiosity for vaping in SS. Decided to pick up some UD SS 316L from my favorite vendor, in 24/26/28 ga. Fast forward to today.
My current build in use:
Dual twisted (2 wire) 26g SS 316L - 9 wraps around a 3.5mm rod contact coil, comes out to .25 ohm on my Hannya RDA @ 400F 80W
Crown Coil .25 ohm @ 400F 80W

I ended up building this just like I would a kanthal build, required no special treatment other than the usual cleaning / firing and wow. I haven't turned back from SS since, except for the occasional clapton / helix build for fun. Flavor-wise, I'm incredibly impressed. TC works like a charm, however I'm running a Lavabox DNA 200 with imported SS 316L specs thanks to steam engine, so it's a bit easier for me to dial things in thanks to escribe. Also, I decided after some reading to try out the crown tank in TC on the Lavabox as well and it's performing so well. I have it set usually between 400F-420F @ 70W-80W and the flavor and performance is consistent. I have found that at temps higher that the coil does seem to have a bit of trouble keeping itself wicked, but I chainvape like mad so... my experience may differ from you.

Long story short: I love the flavor, performance, and how easy it is to build with. I'll use up the rest of my Ni80, Kanthal, and Titanium and just go SS from now on.

Hell yea dude these crown tanks with the ss coils rock in tc mode. I got the wismec reuleaux rx200 and the vape i get off these is amazing. My question is why doesnt the crown site or the box say these ss coils that come with it are tc? Only the ni200 says tc and no where does it say the ss is for temp control. As a matter of fact they state the wattage like regular kanthals do. I have use it on temp mode and it works fine and doesnt kick me back into vw mode but i just find it weird that it doesnt say tc compatible on any of the coils or boxes. That being said these coils are amazing in bith tc n vw and seems like tyey last longer too. I cant wait till they make the tf-v4 in ss coils but to be honest i bought both the tf-v4 and the crown at the same time and the ss definately makds the crown taste so much better. On the smok u have to use hella watts which i have. I also like how i can use ss like kanthal or like tc mode its so dope but i do believe ss will deteriate the wire faster as the way it works in vw it gets so hot so fast unlike kanthal.

VapinGeorgie420

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hell yea dude these crown tanks with the ss coils rock in tc mode. I got the wismec reuleaux rx200 and the vape i get off these is amazing. My question is why doesnt the crown site or the box say these ss coils that come with it are tc? Only the ni200 says tc and no where does it say the ss is for temp control. As a matter of fact they state the wattage like regular kanthals do. I have use it on temp mode and it works fine and doesnt kick me back into vw mode but i just find it weird that it doesnt say tc compatible on any of the coils or boxes. That being said these coils are amazing in bith tc n vw and seems like tyey last longer too. I cant wait till they make the tf-v4 in ss coils but to be honest i bought both the tf-v4 and the crown at the same time and the ss definately makds the crown taste so much better. On the smok u have to use hella watts which i have. I also like how i can use ss like kanthal or like tc mode its so dope but i do believe ss will deteriate the wire faster as the way it works in vw it gets so hot so fast unlike kanthal.
I think the crown tank came out before SS was an option for TC mode. Just my guess though.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Analias

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Prolly because you can use SS Crown coils in regular VW mode as well as TC SS mode. Ni200 is only for TC. Same-same with Ti.

guyakaguy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've found that the Crown's SS coils really shine on TC mods that have adjustable TCR. They're usable at the preset, but get a more realistic temp reading when the TCR can be lowered. The Crown's SS coils have Ni200 legs which throws off the temp readings at preset TCRs.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

I'm wanting to get some stainless steel wire to try out on my RX200. Nickel builds have been working great on my Lemo.

Where can I get some 304 stainless that's vape safe? I've seen stuff on amazon that's listed as 'artistic wire' or some such but I don't wanna get something with a coating or something that's bad to use. (Which is the main reason I'm staying away from Titanium. Too scared of the whole titanium dioxide stuff. Sounds like you'll get cancer regardless of how safe you are)

VU Sponsors