Become a Patron!

Stainless steel taste

Flurry24

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So I have been using kanthol Clapton coils regularly and I just built with stainless steel for the first time... it was firing great but it tastes like garbage, is this normal???

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So I have been using kanthol Clapton coils regularly and I just built with stainless steel for the first time... it was firing great but it tastes like garbage, is this normal???
No. Is there a short anywhere? The coils touching the topcap can do that but still fire. Fire and check the resistance with and without the cap on.
Make sure the connections are solid af.
Make sure it's not the wicking.
All the metals tase the same to me and this is the list of things that have usually contributed to an off taste.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I have just recently switched to SS Clapton Coils.

Flavor is just fine!

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes if you build the wrong coil for how and what your vaping it might taste bad.....

Doesn't mean Stainless is the problem..... could be the BUILDER that got it wrong...

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Flurry24

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm using 24 ga UD SS316L don't see how I would have "built it wrong"

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Never used UD SSS but with LV SS I taste nothing of the wire and I do taste metals. Cannot vape with brass atty of squonker with unplated brass center pin.

Flurry24

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I took it apart and I am going to do something completely different, will check for Hotspot

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
UD wire, I would say that would be the main culprit. The cheap Chinese wire has poor QC, it tends to be dirty and god knows what conditions it's manufactured in. Last spool of UD wire I got I had to wipe it down in alcohol and ended up just tossing it. For wire I stick with
  • Kidney Puncher
  • Atomizer Wick
  • Temco
For SS they're smelted in Sweden and milled in the US, for Kanthal it's actual Sandvik which invented and they own the Trademark "Kanthal". They have actually been going after those that have been using the label Kanthal without their permission BTW ;)

Never used UD SSS but with LV SS I taste nothing of the wire and I do taste metals. Cannot vape with brass atty of squonker with unplated brass center pin.
I used to think the same with Brass and Copper, especially the decks. I then started getting some higher end gear with Brass or Copper and no taste. The postitive post though never had an issue with, I love Copper positive posts, 2nd only to Silver in electrical conductivity. Also a big plus for me is that Copper is a natural antimicrobial and kills over 99.99% all bacteria, fungi and viruses within 2 hours of contact, I just love it!
If your coil touches a post or the chamber walls it will be horrible to vape.
^^^ Yep

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

That's the same stuff and size I use and get no taste from it. I've been using it for a year now.
Check for hot spots.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I used to think the same with Brass and Copper, especially the decks. I then started getting some higher end gear with Brass or Copper and no taste. The postitive post though never had an issue with, I love Copper positive posts, 2nd only to Silver in electrical conductivity. Also a big plus for me is that Copper is a natural antimicrobial and kills over 99.99% all bacteria, fungi and viruses within 2 hours of contact, I just love it!

Copper 510 pins are not an issue unplated brass squonk 510 pins ARE.
I am going to disassemble a cheap regulated squonker and make a VW build station out of the guts. Because of the brass squonk pin. Scrubbed soaked, etc and still ruins my juice. And it is non standard a regular 510 squonk base will not work.

Rabbit Slayer

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Did you build the coil and wick it w/out dry burning it?

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Copper 510 pins are not an issue unplated brass squonk 510 pins ARE.
I am going to disassemble a cheap regulated squonker and make a VW build station out of the guts. Because of the brass squonk pin. Scrubbed soaked, etc and still ruins my juice. And it is non standard a regular 510 squonk base will not work.
Squonk 510 I could totally see that due to it sitting it in juice, Gold Plated Copper would rock for that use.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Squonk 510 I could totally see that due to it sitting it in juice, Gold Plated Copper would rock for that use.
Or even plated brass would be fine.
Do not ever buy a Geyscano squonk mod no matter how cheap.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Or even plated brass would be fine.
Do not ever buy a Geyscano squonk mod no matter how cheap.
Good to know, Squonks have tickled my interest. I have a Frankenskull Clone on the way so I'm going to give it a spin. I did check it out before buying and main criticism of the clone was the bottle, so I ordered a couple of Reo bottles. I've already got squonk ready addy's so I'm set for a good try, I've got
  • Velocity V2
  • Split Atty
  • Hadaly
  • Narda
  • O Atty Clone
And I think a few others, so yeah I'm going to give it a good spin

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Good to know, Squonks have tickled my interest. I have a Frankenskull Clone on the way so I'm going to give it a spin. I did check it out before buying and main criticism of the clone was the bottle, so I ordered a couple of Reo bottles. I've already got squonk ready addy's so I'm set for a good try, I've got
  • Velocity V2
  • Split Atty
  • Hadaly
  • Narda
  • O Atty Clone
And I think a few others, so yeah I'm going to give it a good spin
From your list you might also like the Shift BF atty clone.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
From your list you might also like the Shift BF atty clone.
Now that really looks interesting, thanks for the heads up.

I've also got the Anya by Mandaya Mods (they make the Darang) and if squonking works out for me I'll be looking for a BF 510 pin for it.

Brad Mitchell

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I bought geekvape pre-made alien coils and I wasn't impressed. And so I took a piece apart and found out it was a flat wire wrapped with an alien outer and since then I stay away from Chinese wire. Not to mention I have read that the quality of wire is subpar. For the price of AdvancedVapeSupply pre-made wire why go with subpar Chinese wire?

I purchased 10 sticks of wire from AdvancedVapeSupply for less than 10 bucks I think. That's 5 dual coil rba's. They also have reasonable pre-made coils to but that's getting more expensive.

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I bought geekvape pre-made alien coils and I wasn't impressed. And so I took a piece apart and found out it was a flat wire wrapped with an alien outer and since then I stay away from Chinese wire. Not to mention I have read that the quality of wire is subpar. For the price of AdvancedVapeSupply pre-made wire why go with subpar Chinese wire?

I purchased 10 sticks of wire from AdvancedVapeSupply for less than 10 bucks I think. That's 5 dual coil rba's. They also have reasonable pre-made coils to but that's getting more expensive.
Any premade ssfc or alien is trash. Stuff builders would consider a failure.
Only way to get them is builders or make them.
4/5 28g core aliens with 36/38g wrap is an awesome vape.
The places that are selling hand made coils are crazy expensive. Like 25 for a normal alien which is what I'd charge for like a 6/8 ply SSFC.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

I bought UD Kanthal when I was a noob and had clean in vodka and then pulse the bejesus out of it to get the machine oil or whatever off of it

Hydro1

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ive been buying UD wire for over a year now, never any problems. Dry burn/check for hot spots.

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ive been buying UD wire for over a year now, never any problems. Dry burn/check for hot spots.
Have you ever used better wire though? I nade the mistake of getting some a long time ago and it was horrible. Worse than lightning vapes by a long shot...hell worse than kbee too

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I bought UD Kanthal when I was a noob and had clean in vodka and then pulse the bejesus out of it to get the machine oil or whatever off of it
Have you ever used better wire though? I nade the mistake of getting some a long time ago and it was horrible. Worse than lightning vapes by a long shot...hell worse than kbee too

Yep, when I first got into building I bought the premade Claptons, didn't know any better. Started trolling around for other wire, learned to spin my own Claptons because I couldn't get premade wire in the gauges I needed. Went through different brands mostly Chinese junk wire.

The cheap Chinese wire like UD, KBee, etc is filthy, poor quality. Spend around the same cost (sometimes cheaper) for real Kanthal (Sandvik), SS get the good stuff that is smelted in Sweden and Milled in the US from Kidney Puncher, Pure Atomist, Atomizer Wick, Temco. You can't go wrong, you'll notice a difference in flavor, durability, etc. That and it's CLEAN, unlike the other crap.

Hydro1

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yup, my daily wire is vapowire. No idea if ya'll have it in the states.
I buy UD for the 26k/32nichrome80 clapton spools. Vapowire for kanthal and nichrome. Notice a slight difference between the pre made spools and homemade. Either ive been lucky or i have a bad palate i guess.

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
26/32? That's a huge wrap dude.
Crazywire Co is the only company I know of overseas. Supposedly it's great wire. I've got several friends sponsored by them and they love it.

Brad Mitchell

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Any premade ssfc or alien is trash. Stuff builders would consider a failure.
Only way to get them is builders or make them.
4/5 28g core aliens with 36/38g wrap is an awesome vape.
The places that are selling hand made coils are crazy expensive. Like 25 for a normal alien which is what I'd charge for like a 6/8 ply SSFC.
Not sure if you are agreeing with what I said or not but the alien prebuilt "coils" at AdvancedVapeSupply are made by raymo2u if I'm not mistaken and are sold for $13 though that's the cheapest I have seen.

To be honest the only other place I know of is purecoils for "builder" premade coils and his aliens are 19 and fused 12

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Not sure if you are agreeing with what I said or not but the alien prebuilt "coils" at AdvancedVapeSupply are made by raymo2u if I'm not mistaken and are sold for $13 though that's the cheapest I have seen.

To be honest the only other place I know of is purecoils for "builder" premade coils and his aliens are 19 and fused 12
I didn't know raymo built for a site. I was thinking of the really famous builders like m.terk selling them for $25. It's robbery. 20 is still really high.
And I'm never really agreeing with or disagreeing with anyone or anything. I just make statements. My fear was that you were getting ripped off or something. 95% or more of the coils I've seen for sale are nothing like what they are supposed to be but people still buy them.

Brad Mitchell

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I didn't know raymo built for a site. I was thinking of the really famous builders like m.terk selling them for $25. It's robbery. 20 is still really high.
And I'm never really agreeing with or disagreeing with anyone or anything. I just make statements. My fear was that you were getting ripped off or something. 95% or more of the coils I've seen for sale are nothing like what they are supposed to be but people still buy them.
I only bought a 10 pack of 3x28 ss fused with 36ss while I liked the wire I have no idea of the quality it seems nice

@advancedvapesupply I think is his name if he is still on here can comment on their wire quality but for less than $10 I was very happy with what I purchased just wish I had a TC mod with a preheat.

I know they make their own coils from what I read on their site with the exception of some that raymo2u makes if he still does.

Last edited:

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

I've tried stainless, but to me, it allows me to taste the cotton much too clearly, even when wicked PERFECTLY. With kanthal, I only taste the cotton, and very mildly, when the coil and wick are brand spankin new, and once it gets broken-in, all I taste is ejuice. But with stainless, the cotton taste gets worse and worse, the longer you vape it.

Andria

Hydro1

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Crazywire Co is the only company I know of overseas. Supposedly it's great wire. I've got several friends sponsored by them and they love it.
Dont think ive seen it around. Will have to ask next time im in my local b&m.

26/32 is about the only clapton that seems to vape right in my tf rta g2's. .4 ohms at 75 watts.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

26/32 is about the only clapton that seems to vape right in my tf rta g2's. .4 ohms at 75 watts.

I've gotten a fair amount from Crazywire, they were the only place I could get 317L SS in the gauges I needed for a long time. They're not bad at all, not sure about their Kanthal but I've had good luck with their SS and recommend it.

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

If you make clapton it's worth looking into or even if you ever want to get into building. I'm not sure about b&m but most people just order it directly.

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've gotten a fair amount from Crazywire, they were the only place I could get 317L SS in the gauges I needed for a long time. They're not bad at all, not sure about their Kanthal but I've had good luck with their SS and recommend it.
Didn't know they shipped to the states. You're in the US right?

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Didn't know they shipped to the states. You're in the US right?
Yep, it takes a while but shipping isn't too bad. It was the only place that had a selection of 317L, that is until I found Atomizer Wick here in the States.

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Why do you need that specific alloy? Just curious.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Why do you need that specific alloy? Just curious.
317L has a slightly higher resistance than 316L. 304, 430 and 321 SS I don't like the taste, 317L also has a slightly higher resistance to corrosion. If I can't find good 317L I use 316L, I just prefer 317L

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
I've tried stainless, but to me, it allows me to taste the cotton much too clearly, even when wicked PERFECTLY. With kanthal, I only taste the cotton, and very mildly, when the coil and wick are brand spankin new, and once it gets broken-in, all I taste is ejuice. But with stainless, the cotton taste gets worse and worse, the longer you vape it.

Andria
Must admit Andria so far with 316l I've experienced just this myself...hmmm food for thought might try different materials now myself

Also haven't tried Rayon yet as a wicking material

Not had too much luck with DIY coils got my wicking down no probs but I just get burnt or what i can only describe as an off off taste after a couple of days ...know it's not the juice ...been using cotton bacon that was clean last time I checked but my coil was all burnt ...that doesn't normally happen does it?

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I'm in the UK myself, and have used Crazy wire a fair few times, they are OK but not the best. If a size of wire you order isn't in stock, they will just send you the next one closest too it, and it takes a few weeks to arrive lol.
The wire is good quality though, the only issue I have had was with some Ti 01, it was very dirty but this seems to of been a one off.

Another great store is Stealth vapes, they are very good quality. I have tried a lot of wire types over the past 2 years, as I enjoy experimenting, I haven't noticed any wire increasing the taste of my cotton though, although I could have terrible taste lol.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Got my wire from stealth vapes as well looks clean enough ...so can't be that might be I just fire it too hot or something

I have heard your not suppose to dry burn it to hot that could be it?

Flurry24

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hmmmm idk I've heard wire from China taste nasty, maybe this is stainless steel from China...

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's easy to build a simple coil wrong.... The goal being a good vape.. therefore the things you can get wrong are many.... wire guage..wire type. number of wraps. Id. Wicking. Choice of ohm. Power.
Even a perfect built coil can result bad vape.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Must admit Andria so far with 316l I've experienced just this myself...hmmm food for thought might try different materials now myself

Also haven't tried Rayon yet as a wicking material

Not had too much luck with DIY coils got my wicking down no probs but I just get burnt or what i can only describe as an off off taste after a couple of days ...know it's not the juice ...been using cotton bacon that was clean last time I checked but my coil was all burnt ...that doesn't normally happen does it?

tbh, it's been so long since I tried stainless (last July), I don't recall, but it doesn't sound right. All I recall is how the cotton taste, instead of disappearing as you vape, just got worse and worse -- and I vape at 10w! (I tried TC, but no TC mod has a setting low enough to accommodate a 10w vaper -- it's all too hot for me.)

Andria

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer

Vesuvius

OG
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I think I had some UD wire at one time, never SS. I usually get from LV though.

VU Sponsors