Become a Patron!

Stainless Steel: The New Kanthal?

BreeZyCloudZ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So I've been researching around looking at different coil materials and of course stumbled upon SS. I do mechanic work and had some sitting around. It is 304(I know most people use 316 but this is safe) and I did a 6 wrap micro coil. I'm usually a dual coil kinda guy but whoa! Its 1.04 mm thick btw. So I did a 6 wrap single coil and it is .10 ohms!That is extremely low for 6 wraps. I couldnt believe it, also for its thickness and wraps, it has almost no ramp up time. Stainless steel is naturally low resistance compared to Kanthal. This stuff also gives a great flavor with no metal taste. Anyways, I know there is alot of talk about SS no talk of how it performs and wanted to let people know. This may be my new coil. If anyone else has tried it, let me know what you think.
image.jpg

BreeZyCloudZ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I would like to know too if anyone out there has some experience with it. please post your exp/
Yea I think this is really gonna catch on, Im vaping on it right now and with one coil, its putting out clouds like a dual. I was really surprised, are you thinking about trying it?

Doots

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yea I think this is really gonna catch on, Im vaping on it right now and with one coil, its putting out clouds like a dual. I was really surprised, are you thinking about trying it?
yeah.. what do i look for or where to buy? thx

BreeZyCloudZ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
yeah.. what do i look for or where to buy? thx
Well the grade is really important, mine is 304 steel which is kitchen grade, alot of people like 316 which is medical grade. Also, it comes in inches or mm, sometimes you can find gauge size. But mine is 1.04 mm, which is .04 inches or around 20 gauge, so that gives you a scale. Id go smaller than I have. You can find it at parts stores cause its used for welding, or walmart maybe cause it can be used in jewelry. You can look online as well, its really cheap. Try searching stainless steel wrapping wire, make sure you check grade. Good luck! Its worth it.

BreeZyCloudZ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@Doots @Nailz Awesome! Just remember it has a lower resistance than kanthal so have your ohm tester ready. You're both gonna love it

BreeZyCloudZ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
i tried SS last year for about 3 weeks ,26ga and i forget the final ohms now,but that stuff runs ungodly ,hot

but after 3 weeks of use ,the wire still looked brand new
Lol yea it definately runs hot, but thats kind of a positive, you can do bigger builds with low ohms, which means more surface are, at least good for me

yamooo

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
0.10ohms on a mech? Isn't that like dangerous?

TF Vaping

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
0.10ohms on a mech? Isn't that like dangerous?
Dangerous probably.
a046fd9a247871e2ec85bd663a33505f.jpg

I ran a .05 for a few hours, it would kill the batts in my Dimitri in just a little over an hour. It would demolish juice like no other, but the clouds... Were intense to say the least.
That's triple twisted 28ga kanthal.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

yamooo

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Dangerous probably.

I ran a .05 for a few hours, it would kill the batts in my Dimitri in just a little over an hour. It would demolish juice like no other, but the clouds... Were intense to say the least.
That's triple twisted 28ga kanthal.

Why are you putting your life in danger for just clouds? I do not understand this. Not only that, you are probably going to blow yourself up which makes it difficult for the rest of us who are trying to vape safely.

TF Vaping

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Why are you putting your life in danger for just clouds? I do not understand this.
I didn't know the ohm load when I first did it. Just built it on the mod. Decided to check the load when I was tearing it down. Granted I usually stay within .20-.10 with all my builds. Never did a triple twisted though, and guess I got confused in length of the wire.
Trust me, had I known it was THAT LOW I wouldn't have put it to my face. I wouldn't recommend anyone doing it. I was lucky. Lesson learned.

BreeZyCloudZ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I didn't know the ohm load when I first did it. Just built it on the mod. Decided to check the load when I was tearing it down. Granted I usually stay within .20-.10 with all my builds. Never did a triple twisted though, and guess I got confused in length of the wire.
Trust me, had I known it was THAT LOW I wouldn't have put it to my face. I wouldn't recommend anyone doing it. I was lucky. Lesson learned.

Dang!!! .05?? That had to be crazy. I would never go below .09! Butttt Im with you on the clouds lol

yamooo

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Dang!!! .05?? That had to be crazy. I would never go below .09! Butttt Im with you on the clouds lol
Seriously guys, this is no joke. You guys shouldn't be going below 0.2ohms on mechs. You are putting yourself and everyone around you in danger.

TF Vaping

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I ordered some ni201 the other day, I built every coil length I can fit on a velocity and only got one coil over .10, says its 28awg but I'm thinking it's 32 or so(vape and wires, shit should say exclusive for Clapton's Lol). I'm talking 25 wraps over 3.0mm kuro jig to get the .10 stuff is ridiculous. So I may have to try out some other materials. Had to check out this post.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I think the Uwell Crown stock coils are made of stainless.
I saw them listed as stainless steel coils but I wasn't sure if they meant the housing or the actual wire.
I'm not sure though but I have never heard any mention of kanthal or nichrome.

They come in.
Single coil 1.2 ohms
Dual coils 0.5 ohms
Dual coils 0.25 ohms

and they have a Ni200 0.15 ohms

BreeZyCloudZ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I ordered some ni201 the other day, I built every coil length I can fit on a velocity and only got one coil over .10, says its 28awg but I'm thinking it's 32 or so(vape and wires, shit should say exclusive for Clapton's Lol). I'm talking 25 wraps over 3.0mm kuro jig to get the .10 stuff is ridiculous. So I may have to try out some other materials. Had to check out this post.

Well if you like to build low, id suggest SS, mine was a little thick but im goin to order some thinner wire and probably move from kanthal. This way i can do bigger builds and keep my ohms low.

BreeZyCloudZ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The ramp up time seemed much faster too

TF Vaping

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
51709acbf4a6cebbd58532c4ebb877fe.jpg

30 wraps over 3.5mm finally in the sensible range. Anyone wants some stupid wire look no further lmao
*edit* holy shit... This build is awesome.

So does ss ramp up as fast as nickel? This thing is insane at a 1Sec pulse

BreeZyCloudZ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
51709acbf4a6cebbd58532c4ebb877fe.jpg

30 wraps over 3.5mm finally in the sensible range. Anyone wants some stupid wire look no further lmao

Wtf?? Lol that is ridiculous man. But my SS ramped up about that fast but I havent tried nickel.

yamooo

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

You are using Nickel on a mech mod? WTF?

Why is there so much retardedness in this thread. Y'all need to learn more about battery safety and the wires you are using for vaping.

TF Vaping

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You are using Nickel on a mech mod? WTF?

Why is there so much retardedness in this thread. Y'all need to learn more about battery safety and the wires you are using for vaping.
201 not 200

yamooo

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You gonna give any sources or you just gonna try to be a governing force? Which of my bills will you paying this month?

1. It is extremely low resistance for a mech mod
  2. It might melt and expose you to nickel fumes
Nickel is only meant for TC in vaping. I've been trying to help you but if you just want to put your life and life of others around you for just "clouds", then I guess Darwinism will take of it.

TF Vaping

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
He he, relax bro or chick. You should see my flat wound copper coils. That's where the clouds is

yamooo

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
He he, relax bro or chick. You should see my flat wound copper coils. That's where the clouds is

I am done with you man. When you get into an accident, please do not go on TV and say oh I want to aware people about dangers of ecig.

Reactions: Jah

TF Vaping

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I am done with you man. When you get into an accident, please do not go on TV and say oh I want to aware people about dangers of ecig.
I'm gonna say I should have listened to yamooo.

Nailz

FUCK the FDA
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
@Doots @Nailz Awesome! Just remember it has a lower resistance than kanthal so have your ohm tester ready. You're both gonna love it

Well damn I ordered 26 gauge as that is what I use in kanthal, should've probably gone with 28 gauge instead, guess going to be a lot of wraps in my coils.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well damn I ordered 26 gauge as that is what I use in kanthal, should've probably gone with 28 gauge instead, guess going to be a lot of wraps in my coils.
Or bigger id, like 4MM.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
{shrugs}

I am a welder by trade. I wouldn't use nickel OR stainless wire. There are dangers in heating the metals to the point they glow and long term exposure. TI wire, sure I'd use it in a temp control device.

Everyone can choose to do whatever flips their chicken. Me, I'll listen to life experience and the education I have had over my lifetime about exposure to metals. I quit smoking because the risk (dangers) far outweighed the reward. I can't see myself trading one dangerous habit for another.

We worry so much about WHAT is in our juice, but seemingly give little thought to what we use to heat said juice. The metals can be far more dangerous than the minute amount of chems in our juice.

efektt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
{shrugs}

I am a welder by trade. I wouldn't use nickel OR stainless wire. There are dangers in heating the metals to the point they glow and long term exposure. TI wire, sure I'd use it in a temp control device.

Everyone can choose to do whatever flips their chicken. Me, I'll listen to life experience and the education I have had over my lifetime about exposure to metals. I quit smoking because the risk (dangers) far outweighed the reward. I can't see myself trading one dangerous habit for another.

We worry so much about WHAT is in our juice, but seemingly give little thought to what we use to heat said juice. The metals can be far more dangerous than the minute amount of chems in our juice.
You sound like you know what you are talking about. What dangers exist in heating stainless that dont exist in heating kanthol.

IML8

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If your coil is glowing while you vape, you're doing it wrong.
metal-color-temp-chart-png.100306

TF Vaping

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
We're talking 110 micrograms total carbon, maximum for a 125mm long piece of 28g Ni200 (0.15 ohm single coil).

You have to get the wire to 425C minimum, and hold it there for an extended period of time for any carbon to precipitate at all. You would have to hit your coil at almost twice normal operating temperatures, for a whole hour. Also worth mentioning is that the experiments in the SpecialMetals paper were done in environments of pure hydrogen, and a hydrogen/methane mix.

So let's say you've done the above and some negligibly miniscule quantity of carbon has precipitated from your coil. It doesn't magically get airborne. It would more than likely stick to the coil, or run off in juice.

One can pretty conclusively say, based on evidence and common sense, that graphite precipitation from nickel coils is literally nothing to worry about. Too small scale. Yet here we are acting like once a nickel coil is used you may as well be putting your mouth over a cars exhaust.

Don't look under the Bridge

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
You sound like you know what you are talking about. What dangers exist in heating stainless that dont exist in heating kanthol.
ANY place I have ever worked, has had a exhaust system in place to suck all the fumes away from the work. Some places have a respirator system in your shield.

I'm not going to get in a deep discussion about the dangers, because those convinced stainless and nickel are no big deal, are already convinced.

And sure, I'll concede, that welding is producing more fumes then vaping. But the danger is there and long term exposure is real.

It's up to each of us to research for ourselves and make the decision that is right for ourselves. We don't need advocates on one side or the other to tell us what is safe and what isn't. That is for each of us to decide.

We certainly are heating the wire/juice to higher levels than they would naturally be exposed to (atmosphere). Common sense should tell us that disturbs the atoms of the metal. And when you go disturbing atoms, things can happen, either negative or positive.

I'm just here as someone on the other side that says "no thanks". Vape what you want. If you are not sure, do a little research and decide for yourselves.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

BreeZyCloudZ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok, Ive just read through all these posts and tired of reading the DANGER posts. While I do not know about nickel, I do know Stainless. Obviously you guys didnt read what I said. The compounds in the stainless I talked about are safe (304/316) these are kitchen and medical grade steel. Only lower grade steel has lead and other dangerous components when heated. So yes the grades I suggested are safe, and if you noticed, I suggested 316 over the 304 I use to make sure its safe. And in concern to ohms on builds on a mech, yes under .15 is low, i think .09 is the lowest Id go. Vaping uses a pulse discharge, not a continous discharge, so as long as you are safe, building above continuous discharge is fine, just dont be an idiot. I am also what you'd call anal retentive when it comes to safety, so I wouldnt suggest anything that would harm someone. Just be safe people.
-Welder, Diesel Mechanic, and Extensive Research

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
In your "extensive research", did you conclude what compounds make the difference in grades of stainless? I'm betting you don't know.

I don't care if you want to vape mercury. That's your business as far as I am concerned. Just don't come here and profess how it is safe, when I opine that it isn't. I can pull up studies and research from people who are real live EXPERTS.

If you are an experienced welder, then you should be smart enough to know you should NOT be breathing the fumes from any welding, much less welding stainless. Unless you have a death wish.

So you don't like the danger posts. I don't like people suggesting that other do something they are, because they are unsafe and taking risks, others should too. Well, because you say so.

If you don't want to hear the other side of the coin, then I suggest you make your world much smaller.

BreeZyCloudZ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
In your "extensive research", did you conclude what compounds make the difference in grades of stainless? I'm betting you don't know.

I don't care if you want to vape mercury. That's your business as far as I am concerned. Just don't come here and profess how it is safe, when I opine that it isn't. I can pull up studies and research from people who are real live EXPERTS.

If you are an experienced welder, then you should be smart enough to know you should NOT be breathing the fumes from any welding, much less welding stainless. Unless you have a death wish.

So you don't like the danger posts. I don't like people suggesting that other do something they are, because they are unsafe and taking risks, others should too. Well, because you say so.

If you don't want to hear the other side of the coin, then I suggest you make your world much smaller.
Ohhmyygodd man, of course i did, and who the hell is welding when youre vaping? Thats two different worlds. How many times do i have to say the grades I suggested contain nothing dangerous? Guess some people just like to argue cause obviously you did absolutely NO research. And mercury?? Wtf?? Not even close bro. Now go back in your corner with your single micro coil where you belong.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Ohhmyygodd man, of course i did, and who the hell is welding when youre vaping? Thats two different worlds. How many times do i have to say the grades I suggested contain nothing dangerous? Guess some people just like to argue cause obviously you did absolutely NO research. And mercury?? Wtf?? Not even close bro. Now go back in your corner with your single micro coil where you belong.

Now I know you did NO research. 304 was one of the grades of steel, involved in the study I posted. It contains nickel AND chromium.

You can now return to pretending you are some kind of educated expert......

BreeZyCloudZ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Now I know you did NO research. 304 was one of the grades of steel, involved in the study I posted. It contains nickel AND chromium.

No shit you retard, thats completely safe, i knew thats what was in it, im completely baffled at your stupidity

BreeZyCloudZ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Before you say something else, just stop, you have no idea what you're talking about, this is obviously not your territory

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
No shit you retard, thats completely safe, i knew thats what was in it, im completely baffled at your stupidity

READ the study. IF you have reading comprehension skills.

It's NOT completely safe, like you claim. Let other people decide for themselves. Stop misleading people.

VU Sponsors