Become a Patron!

Stainless TC

Guess12

Member For 4 Years
Looking for some input on the best way to build stainless clapton temp control coils.
When I go to wrap is it best to have the coils touching to dry fire and get hot spots out then space them after making sure there's no hot spots or do I go straight to spaced coils and not worry about dry burning the SS? If you get what I mean lol

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Spaced before mounting... much easier. Pulse when mounted and strum/brush to remove hot spots.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Guess12

Member For 4 Years
Lavabox DNA200
Got the temp to stay on but I get no vapor.
Won't go above 20w @ 450-500*
But works fine in regular mode

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Lock the device, press up and down at the same time, adjust wattage to suit, unlock, vape.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Lavabox DNA200
Got the temp to stay on but I get no vapor.
Won't go above 20w @ 450-500*
But works fine in regular mode
Do you mean the power is reducing to around 20W, or you cant adjust above 20W?

If you mean you can't adjust above 20W, follow @shawn.hoefer advice to adjust the wattage on the mod. If however it is reducing to this level, what type of build are you running? As I find with 26G SS316L at around 0.25-0.3, that is a pretty average figure it will hover around to maintain temperature.

Have you updated to the latest firmware? As I do remember before SP3 SS TC was pretty sketchy.

Guess12

Member For 4 Years
Do you mean the power is reducing to around 20W, or you cant adjust above 20W?

If you mean you can't adjust above 20W, follow @shawn.hoefer advice to adjust the wattage on the mod. If however it is reducing to this level, what type of build are you running? As I find with 26G SS316L at around 0.25-0.3, that is a pretty average figure it will hover around to maintain temperature.

Have you updated to the latest firmware? As I do remember before SP3 SS TC was pretty sketchy.

It will hover around that wattage no matter where it's set, but there's little to no vapor production. The stainless coils I've tried are a clapton 26g wrapped around 26g @ .3 I think it was and the current coil is just a single wire sitting at about .44 with the same results.

The very first coil I built on this device was a nickel clapton @ .04 and it vaped perfectly at 450F and 100w but after that build is when I started to get problems. I can't get any builds to work in TC mode.

Is SS safe to vape in regular mode until I get it all figure do out?

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It will hover around that wattage no matter where it's set, but there's little to no vapor production. The stainless coils I've tried are a clapton 26g wrapped around 26g @ .3 I think it was and the current coil is just a single wire sitting at about .44 with the same results.

The very first coil I built on this device was a nickel clapton @ .04 and it vaped perfectly at 450F and 100w but after that build is when I started to get problems. I can't get any builds to work in TC mode.

Yup... SS is fine in power or TC

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
What coil profile are you running it in. You have different materials available in escribe. You can't run an SS coil in Ni mode and vice versa. Go into escribe and check your settings.

Variety's the very spice of life, that gives it all it's flavour.

-William Cowper

Guess12

Member For 4 Years
Yeah I was also using the correct profile for each wire, even tried the steam profiles instead of the preset

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Ok, I had very similar results myself in the past with SS TC until the SP3 update, and I have found the best preset for SS 316L to be the standard one provided with Escribe-it works very well for me.

I would try rebooting the mod in Escribe, first a soft reboot, and if no joy there a hard reboot. As Nickel did work well, I think you will be able to sort this fairly easily, sometimes finding the issue is the hard part which is why I recommend just rebooting, and then starting afresh.

Hovering around that wattage sounds about right if it has hit the temp limit, but due to the little to no vapour production something needs tweaking. Do you get more vapour if you turn up your temperature?

Also, you can change the wire type on the device without Escribe, lock the device then hold all three buttons, then you will be able to change wire type.

I do hope you can get it working as I find SS TC to be fantastic, but I did have troubles at first myself.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The mod used to hit the preheat wattage before dropping, it won't even do that now.
Hmm, this does sound exactly like the troubles I had when I started using SS- this was solved though with the SP3 update and the SS profile provided by Evolv.

It seems as if your mod is detecting the temp limit has been hit immediately, and reducing power, but this is not enough power for the coil. I would stick with simple coils for now until you have the issue sorted.

In power mode, can the mod fire and reach higher wattages, such as what your preheat is? I would make sure it can to rule out a problem here.
Then I would make sure you have the latest version of Escribe, and also the latest firmware on the mod, and reboot.

Guess12

Member For 4 Years
Honestly I was getting too frustrated messing with it and sent it back just for the piece of mind to make sure everything's in working order lol

VU Sponsors