Become a Patron!

Steel ropes?

colebtl

Member For 2 Years
Hey guys

I went to a hardware store looking for some tools yesterday and found something interesting. It was a catalog of steel ropes witch is not something special, but what caught my eye was that they supply really thin multi core 316 stainless steel ropes, by really thin i mean 0.5mm aka. 24awg with 7*7 structure(not sure if they're bullsh*ting as i didn't see the real thing, only on catalog), which means 49 cores!! To me that sounds like the ultimate twisted coil with so much surface area. I know that back in the days people use steel rope and steel mesh as wicking material for their gene tank, and one of the idea behind clapton coils is that it self wicks and contains juice within the coil, so logically using wicking material from the past as coils should work... While steel mesh has become a new coil material and it somehow works(thanks to Vandy Vape i suppose?), wouldn't steel rope works as well? has anyone tried this before?

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
well if it is 316 ss it seems it should work.....but what kind of vape it gives is anyone's guess...ss cable or rope has been used for years by genisis vapers as a wick because of it's ability to wick juice...you simpley would cut the cable to length and wrap an oxidized ss mesh sock around the section the coil was wrapped around....persoanlly I never cared for it as a wick in gennys. I preffered mesh to cable...of course you could accomplish the same thing by simpley getting some like 40 or 42 gauge wire and twisting them together in a drill.....may not be exactlly the same but would probablly accomplish the same thing.

colebtl

Member For 2 Years
Hopefully you are saying the total thickness is 24g and not 24gx49
i doubt that for a while but then i did some searching and found this
steel cable 0.56mm2.jpg
seems quite legit.
Just that i'm not sure if it has any melt in plastic insert or those sort of things within those gaps, if it doesn't then i'll definitily give it a try as i do think this could be a clapton killer and it's super duper uber cheap, here in Taiwan it cost 30$ for 300 feet which is cheaper than some branded plane jane wires.

MoFasterMo

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I used Steel rope for wicking in genesis tanks but never tried a coil, guess I need to dig out some old steel rope for an experiment.

colebtl

Member For 2 Years
Bought some 0.6mm rope and gave it a try today, it looks quite promising and seems to wick well but WAY too springy to wrap it as a coil, it just constantly bounces back, even after i burn it red hot with a lighter it didnt seems to change it's characteristic.... seems like its a fail but i'll buy some thinner and thicker ones next week and see if they work.

MoFasterMo

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Bought some 0.6mm rope and gave it a try today, it looks quite promising and seems to wick well but WAY too springy to wrap it as a coil, it just constantly bounces back, even after i burn it red hot with a lighter it didnt seems to change it's characteristic.... seems like its a fail but i'll buy some thinner and thicker ones next week and see if they work.
I haven't tried it yet but my big concern was getting it to hold its shape, the stuff I have is very very springy. I'm assuming it's going to take a lot of heat with a torch after wrapping it around a rod, probable multiple times.

VU Sponsors