Become a Patron!

Steeping question

Nameste

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey, quick question why my mixes becomes tasteless after a week or two.. Even recipes that require steeping becomes tasteless I couldn't figure it out what is causing it. Example like something simple strawberry + sugar Cookie.. Tastes awesome for a week then becomes pretty much tasteless or very little taste..

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Pop up a sample recipe. Chances are, over flavoring.
It was cause muting. Or failure to taste, sometimes within days, weeks or even a month.

Also if you get a chemical taste.. over flavoring.

Nameste

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I am definitely not over flavoring, the recipes I usually try mainly around %10-15.

Like I said they taste pretty good first few days and then becomes very little or no taste. It is very odd..

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Still High with multiple flavors. Do the math and check manufacturers recommended percentages.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Nameste.... I think your issue is the lightness of the sugar cookie and you fall into the I cant taste strawberry... or cant taste it after a while.
Might be you get zombie tongue really easy with those 2 flavors. My suggestion now is to find something to alternate with.. hopefully those taste buds that can taste it will not burn out altogether.

and that is why I asked for a sample recipe. ;)

Nameste

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Nameste.... I think your issue is the lightness of the sugar cookie and you fall into the I cant taste strawberry... or cant taste it after a while.
Might be you get zombie tongue really easy with those 2 flavors. My suggestion now is to find something to alternate with.. hopefully those taste buds that can taste it will not burn out altogether.

and that is why I asked for a sample recipe. ;)

Funny thing is no matter what recipe I try it gets tasteless after few days but I have few recipes that dragonfruit is main flavor I can taste it perfectly whenever I try..

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't think your % are to high either...I'd look at your nic .if it's so high it's killing your flavors...and the other thing I'd consider is whether or not your juice is throuroughly mixed or is all the flavorings being vaped in the top level of the bottle ..I use a sawzall to mix my juice after it has steeped and just before I pop it;s cork, and I shake before filling a tank.....some of my juice really fades or mellows after say 3 weeks of steeping, some doesn'r fade at all just sort of blends better together.

Nameste

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I don't think your % are to high either...I'd look at your nic .if it's so high it's killing your flavors...and the other thing I'd consider is whether or not your juice is throuroughly mixed or is all the flavorings being vaped in the top level of the bottle ..I use a sawzall to mix my juice after it has steeped and just before I pop it;s cork, and I shake before filling a tank.....some of my juice really fades or mellows after say 3 weeks of steeping, some doesn'r fade at all just sort of blends better together.

I use mini hand mixer for mixing the juices I don't think mixing is the issue but I will change and reduce the nic and see what happens.

Thanks

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Hey, quick question why my mixes becomes tasteless after a week or two.. Even recipes that require steeping becomes tasteless I couldn't figure it out what is causing it. Example like something simple strawberry + sugar Cookie.. Tastes awesome for a week then becomes pretty much tasteless or very little taste..

Maybe "vaper's tongue" or taste fatigue, if you're vaping one flavor a lot for a week, our noses and taste buds get acclimated and things that taste strong or great start to taste mild or bland

You know how if you walk into a room for the first time and it has a distinct smell, but if you stay a while you forget it had any smell at all (good or bad, doesn't matter)

Some people also say sweeteners will mute flavor over time

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use mini hand mixer for mixing the juices I don't think mixing is the issue but I will change and reduce the nic and see what happens.

Thanks
A handmixer causes cavitation, which will put too much oxygen into the juice which will in turn speed up tremendously the rate the nic oxidizes and turn the nic peppery and over ride the flavorings.one of the issues I think people ignore is the fact some people have a better sense of taste than others...tastes may be subjective,but the ability to percieve and detect flavors is not subjective, it is personal, and it is not the same for everyone. You have to tailor your juice to your own tastes or ability to percieve flavor. I would throw out the idea of using nic salts, which will do a couple of things...nic salts cut down the rate at which nic oxidizes and allows you to store it longer without it turning peppery and over riding the flavors, and also nic salts allow you to use higher levels of nic without affecting the flavors....you may wannna give them a shot and see if they work for your tastes....and then of course the other obvious and important issue is changing the flavors you vape...personally I have at least 2 sometimes 3 flavors going in my rotation..I vape 2 or 3 different attys a day,because your palate gets fatigued if you vape the same flavor for half the day, you loss the ability to taste the flavor...so you have to jump from one flavor to the other to counteract the fatigue.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Thanks I will try some other flavors and reduce or remove sweetener
I notice some of my mixes fade for a few days then come back in a few days. When steeping my oranges they literally disappear for a week+ plus then come back and are near perfect. I mix the cookie base and let steep for 2 weeks before adding any fruit.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Strawberry is a well known fading flavor.
Just kinda the way it is for the most part.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Some people mix FA Strawberry with Cap Strawberry Ripe 50/50 and claim it fades less.

Nameste

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Strawberry is a well known fading flavor.
Just kinda the way it is for the most part.

I have noticed that I kind start mixing strawberry recipes in small quantities like 15ml so I can keep making them fresh

eStorm

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
I have noticed that I kind start mixing strawberry recipes in small quantities like 15ml so I can keep making them fresh
Your problem is not over flavoring but ethyl malthol. It mutes very quickly and some of the flavors out of the recipes listed above contain either EM or fructose and sucralose, adding further too the problem. Hence why some popular strawberry recipes are always listed as shake and vape, getting milder within 8-14 days and loose their flavor fully around 3 weeks. Faster if you put more in it lol.

Going by that recipe, strawberry ripe contains EM by itself and not in small amounts
Cap sweet strawberry does contain some kind of sweetener as well
Too top that off you adding all 3 sweeteners that by itself do not only mute, but canceling themselves out, might wanna add the 4th? Stevia? Lol
Joke aside, use one sweetener if you have too, use it at low percentage and work up.

Try adding enhancing or supporting flavor profiles as well as body/mouth feel to your strawberries. Not only will it taste better but also lasts longer. Obviously if you can't taste strawberry like many people, nothing going too change that.

Edit: I'm pretty sure sugar cookie contains and while it might be small amount of AP, also muting if used too much, and in general with your recipe I'm surprised you get any flavor after 48 hrs

Nameste

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Your problem is not over flavoring but ethyl malthol. It mutes very quickly and some of the flavors out of the recipes listed above contain either EM or fructose and sucralose, adding further too the problem. Hence why some popular strawberry recipes are always listed as shake and vape, getting milder within 8-14 days and loose their flavor fully around 3 weeks. Faster if you put more in it lol.

Going by that recipe, strawberry ripe contains EM by itself and not in small amounts
Too top that off you adding all 3 sweeteners that by itself do not only mute, but canceling themselves out, might wanna add the 4th? Stevia? Lol
Joke aside, use one sweetener if you have too, use it at low percentage and work up.

Try adding enhancing or supporting flavor profiles as well as body/mouth feel to your strawberries. Not only will it taste better but also lasts longer. Obviously if you can't taste strawberry like many people, nothing going too change that.

Edit: I'm pretty sure sugar cookie contains and while it might be small amount of AP, also muting if used too much, and in general with your recipe I'm surprised you get any flavor after 48 hrs

Awesome info thank you!!

Nameste

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

You are spot on my friend!! I had 3 mixed recipes that I mixed like 3 weeks ago and they have almost no additional sweetener, they are tasting awesome. My problem was putting too much sweetener for sure.. Thanks for all the help

eStorm

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
You are spot on my friend!! I had 3 mixed recipes that I mixed like 3 weeks ago and they have almost no additional sweetener, they are tasting awesome. My problem was putting too much sweetener for sure.. Thanks for all the help

NP, happy to help. Just ask if you run in a other problem.

VU Sponsors