Become a Patron!

stir plates

McPuff

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
does anyone here use stir plates for mixing their juice? i would imagine that it makes thins so much easier.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'll have to admit I didn't even know what a stir plate was until this post - but it looks like a handy mixing device!

McPuff

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
i think i have to build one. thinking it may even cut down on steep times. well to ebay i go. gonna get some parts :)

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Cheapest one I found online was $46. Building yourself would save a chunk of that.

McPuff

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
i think i can make it for around 20 bucks.

Foggz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Found some DIY magnetic stirrer you tubes .. they kinda led me to DIY ejuice lol - def worth it I think.. :cool:

I use one. I already had it from when I used to cultivate strains of yeast from bottles of beer for creating clone recipes.

I am very new to DIY juicing but when I got into it I decided to dig it out of the garage and I mixed up 60 mils of a Max VG batch, 30 mils I shook repeatedly every few minutes and 30 mils I placed in a small Borosilicate vessel and spun it at about 1200 RPM for an hour.

I tested them this morning and while both still need to cure or rest a bit more, the one that I ran through the stir plate was noticeably better.

I think I will try again with another larger batch once I have a recipe that I know I like and leave it on overnight at a lower RPM.

If I remember, I will update you as to the results. If I forget and your interested, pm me. :)

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have an old one (30 years old) that I bought at a garage sale. Works really well. I've also used an old stainless steel bar blender. That works really well, whips the juice into a froth, then you let it settle down and do it again. Really helps with steeping too.

Last edited:

Foggz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
spun it at about 1200 RPM for an hour.

20 rotations per second? that seems fast .. did not realize that they were that strong .. not making enough juice yet to justify a mag stir'r but sooo want one haha..

I've also used an old stainless steel bar blender

Gotta love these, work well, good for margaritas, ejuice, and they are like indestructible ! :D

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
20 rotations per second? that seems fast .. did not realize that they were that strong .. not making enough juice yet to justify a mag stir'r but sooo want one haha..

Gotta love these, work well, good for margaritas, ejuice, and they are like indestructible ! :D

2 speeds, On or Off. Love mine....

VapinMoody

Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I like the idea of mixing juice with minumal oxygenated nicotine. Heating the eliquid and shaking seams to make it harsh. I would like to know how the big dogs mix their juice in bulk?

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I like the idea of mixing juice with minumal oxygenated nicotine. Heating the eliquid and shaking seams to make it harsh. I would like to know how the big dogs mix their juice in bulk?
well that stir plate looks like it would reallly minimize the oxidation..

FL_David

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I'll have to admit I didn't even know what a stir plate was until this post - but it looks like a handy mixing device!
Same here. It seems fairly easy to make rather then spending allot of money to buy one. I wonder how this compares to using an ultrasonic cleaner?
I have just been doing the ol' shake and wait method.

Brandontf8o8

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ironic I was just gonna ask about this and here it is sitting at the top of my feed haha.

I can make one for right around 20 so well gi e it a try :)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OneLief

Unique and Ingenious Title
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I just bought one on Amazon. The HJ-1. Goes up to 2400 rpms. Made 30 ml of juice the other night and it worked great. It comes with one stirbar. I paid $74.99. Not a bad deal considering I don't have to buy all the parts and then put it together.

TheBrown57

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm planning on using stir plates for all my mixing here soon. I have access to some really nice ones at work. Happy to hear that they work for other people!

I'll be using one of these mixers.
3224630.jpg

PickNic Basket

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

It depends on how you define "big dogs," but if you are referring to those companies producing and moving large numbers of bottles, the liquid is being mixed in an agitation/mixing tank. Heat is rarely used, as it is difficult to adequately heat more than 1-2 liters at one time. So even the dissolution of a solid (such as ethyl maltol, vanillin, or menthol) is accomplished without heat through extended agitation.

well that stir plate looks like it would reallly minimize the oxidation..

Quite the opposite. With a stir plate, you are mixing in an open vessel like a beaker. Combining a rapid stir and an open top, you are exposing more of the juice to a greater amount of oxygen. Even with a beaker cover, you are still exposing the liquid to more oxygen than you would in a bottle. Unless you are making a larger amount (considering DIY, say 60ml or more), a stir plate is unnecessary. For a 30ml bottle, vigorous shaking accomplishes an adequate mix. For small amounts such as this, the ideal IMO is a vortex mixer. Several seconds on a vortex mixer will accomplish what several minutes of shaking will, and is just as thorough a mix as a stir plate. A laboratory-quality vortex mixer with more bells & whistles can run into hundreds of dollars, but a basic unit can be had on eBay for as little as $30.

It's simple and quick. I set it to "touch," which activates the unit when you press down. Speeds will vary by manufacturer, but many range up to 3400RPM. Depending on the unit, half-way on the speed dial is enough. Just place the bottle into the pocket and press it down for several seconds. Voila! Mixed liquid. Besides, washing beakers and fleas is no fun.

mixer.jpg

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I recently heard of something called a shear mixer...but the cost is too high for a DIYer.

Ldiddy33

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What do you all think? Stir plate vs milk frother?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
anything that puts air into the juice is going to make the nic oxidize and turn peppery.

Ldiddy33

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Would it be ok to use the milk frother to mix the flavors, PG and VG and then add in the nic after the air bubbles are all gone?

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Would it be ok to use the milk frother to mix the flavors, PG and VG and then add in the nic after the air bubbles are all gone?
sure as long as the nic is not oxidized , but you have to blend the nic into the juice as some point.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Here's a short of my DIY magnetic mixer. IMO its the cats azz for mixing my juices. I removed the fins off the fan and it spins faster since there is no resistance created by the fins. Bought a fan regulator, a automotive switch from Lordco. It can mix up to 250 mls easily but with the 20mm stirbar it mixes my 100ml 60vg/40pg batches nicely. This is a 100ml batch of 5% Hangsen Highway and all my Hangsen tobac mixes end up this golden color and taste great. There is a concave on the bottom this bottle so I can only mix at half speed or it throws the stirbar out of sync. Its well worth researching and making one of these valuable vape gear additions if your tired of shaking till your arm falls off.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Here's a short of my DIY magnetic mixer. IMO its the cats azz for mixing my juices. I removed the fins off the fan and it spins faster since there is no resistance created by the fins. Bought a fan regulator, a automotive switch from Lordco. It can mix up to 250 mls easily but with the 20mm stirbar it mixes my 100ml 60vg/40pg batches nicely. This is a 100ml batch of 5% Hangsen Highway and all my Hangsen tobac mixes end up this golden color and taste great. There is a concave on the bottom this bottle so I can only mix at half speed or it throws the stirbar out of sync. Its well worth researching and making one of these valuable vape gear additions if your tired of shaking till your arm falls off.

Man, I don't know about that ...there is a ton of air getting inot the juice..maybe you can fill the bottle so there's no air in the bottle.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I made all the air bubbles so you can see how the mixer mixes the juice, wouldn't be much to see without all the added bubbles. That mix had no nic in it so it doesn't matter how many bubbles are in there cause there is no nic to oxidize. Once the nic is added , I mix it slow enough to mix without adding any extra air.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I made all the air bubbles so you can see how the mixer mixes the juice, wouldn't be much to see without all the added bubbles. That mix had no nic in it so it doesn't matter how many bubbles are in there cause there is no nic to oxidize. Once the nic is added , I mix it slow enough to mix without adding any extra air.
Cool ...so it's a DIY magneric mixer? I'm sure everybody would love to see a tutorial on how you built it...

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Youtube "DIY magnetic mixer" and there are many variations of the same idea. I used a computer fan, old hardrive magnet, I already had the fan regulator and the black project box and a 12 volt switch from a auto store. If you don't have a fan regulator then a variable volt(3v-12v) power adapter works good since unless your using beakers that are totally flat bottomed, most jars and jugs have a concave on the bottom and you can't spin them at full speed without it throwing the stirbar. I also removed the fan blades and without the air drag the mixer spins faster at full speed.
Ebay(China) I got 10, 15, 20mm stirbars work best. I can drop the 10mm into a 5 or 10ml jug and mix it but most used is the 20mm for all my mixes. I got a 1 inch bar for larger mixes but 50 and 100ml is optimum with the 20mm bar.

Ldiddy33

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Youtube "DIY magnetic mixer" and there are many variations of the same idea. I used a computer fan, old hardrive magnet, I already had the fan regulator and the black project box and a 12 volt switch from a auto store. If you don't have a fan regulator then a variable volt(3v-12v) power adapter works good since unless your using beakers that are totally flat bottomed, most jars and jugs have a concave on the bottom and you can't spin them at full speed without it throwing the stirbar. I also removed the fan blades and without the air drag the mixer spins faster at full speed.
Ebay(China) I got 10, 15, 20mm stirbars work best. I can drop the 10mm into a 5 or 10ml jug and mix it but most used is the 20mm for all my mixes. I got a 1 inch bar for larger mixes but 50 and 100ml is optimum with the 20mm bar.

Thanks so much for sharing. I built one of the shaker plates like above but I love the way yours works. That may be my next venture. Thanks again for the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Maybe a Dremel tool :D I wonder if I can get an attachment for stirring. 18-20,000 RPM Should knock it out of the park.

84Harley

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ordered myself an ultrasonic cleaner to try out speed steeping, can't hurt to try right? ;) What about using it to clean used stock coils, think that might work?

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ordered myself an ultrasonic cleaner to try out speed steeping, can't hurt to try right? ;) What about using it to clean used stock coils, think that might work?

It does a good job of cleaning a wide variety of things.

84Harley

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
[It does a good job of cleaning a wide variety of things.]

That I'm aware, but the cotton in the coils might get kinda torn up no? Maybe not, would be awesome if it worked, I'll give it a try on some Crown coils when it gets here

pete67

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Here is the stirrer I made with a computer cooling fan.

002_zpsgifg0zit.jpg

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
[It does a good job of cleaning a wide variety of things.]

That I'm aware, but the cotton in the coils might get kinda torn up no? Maybe not, would be awesome if it worked, I'll give it a try on some Crown coils when it gets here

I doubt you'll harm the cotton. lol

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
These things are great. I have trouble operating most things mechanical like light switches and door knobs so I don't build much. :)

There's no need for concern about oxidizing nic in mixed juices @pulsevape. Bases, sure, that's why those should be 'rolled.' Once combined with PG/VG and flavorings, no worries. Shake 'em, stir 'em, one guy here stuffs his mixes into a sock & throws 'em in a dryer. :D

I think I'll stick to shaking. as I only mix for the wife and myself.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
These things are great. I have trouble operating most things mechanical like light switches and door knobs so I don't build much. :)

There's no need for concern about oxidizing nic in mixed juices @pulsevape. Bases, sure, that's why those should be 'rolled.' Once combined with PG/VG and flavorings, no worries. Shake 'em, stir 'em, one guy here stuffs his mixes into a sock & throws 'em in a dryer. :D

Socks and a dryer? lol

I haven't heard that one yet. But whatever works.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

why would mixing with flavorings keep the nic from oxidizing? all bases are in pg/vg and they can still oxidize.

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
why would mixing with flavorings keep the nic from oxidizing? all bases are in pg/vg and they can still oxidize.

Consider that the base has 10% nicotine as risk of exposure over the time that it's being stored while mixed liquid has, oh, let's call it .05% to make a nice roundish figure. Then consider that time in which oxidation could occur. Mixed liquids, a week? Two? Four for custards or tobacco? There's just too little of the mutable liquid risk of exposure over too short a period of time to make a tangible change in harshness.

Consider, f'rinstance, how we shake purchased, pre-mixed liquids without palpable change in harshness while many of us are cautious (and rightfully so) about reintegrating our nic mixes without encouraging air exposure (personally, I roll my own ... nic bases, that is ;)).

I value your opinion as an experienced vaper, pulsevape, but also encourage your consideration as well as the input from others who share this result or, for that matter, who have personal experience to the contrary.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Consider that the base has 10% nicotine as risk of exposure over the time that it's being stored while mixed liquid has, oh, let's call it .05% to make a nice roundish figure. Then consider that time in which oxidation could occur. Mixed liquids, a week? Two? Four for custards or tobacco? There's just too little of the mutable liquid risk of exposure over too short a period of time to make a tangible change in harshness.

Consider, f'rinstance, how we shake purchased, pre-mixed liquids without palpable change in harshness while many of us are cautious (and rightfully so) about reintegrating our nic mixes without encouraging air exposure (personally, I roll my own ... nic bases, that is ;)).

I value your opinion as an experienced vaper, pulsevape, but also encourage your consideration as well as the input from others who share this result or, for that matter, who have personal experience to the contrary.
I am not only basing on my experince but on the experince of nic manufacturers who I havwe spoken with about oxidation...I agree once a juice is mixed it won't turn to peppery before it's vaped...if the nic isn't already too oxidized.

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I am not only basing on my experince but on the experince of nic manufacturers who I havwe spoken with about oxidation...I agree once a juice is mixed it won't turn to peppery before it's vaped...if the nic isn't already too oxidized.

My point. THank you, sir.

VU Sponsors