Become a Patron!

Storing juice in glass vs plastic

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Had some juice that was nearly 1 yr old.
DIY.
Had 1/2 120 ml glass bottle and 2 15 ml plastic unicorn bottles of it. 1 full one 1/2 full.

Juice in both plastic bottles was pretty bad.
Was about to throw it all out when I decided to try the juice in the glass bottle.
It was still good!
All the juice was from the same batch.

CashNVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
DIY.
Had 1/2 120 ml glass bottle and 2 15 ml plastic unicorn bottles of it. 1 full one 1/2 full.

Was about to throw it all out when I decided to try the juice in the glass bottle.
It was still good!
well I hate drinking anything out of plastic. I think it makes the flavour off.

get N sub Ω low...

️Cloud Chasing

Hillbilly Pig

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reddit Exile
The only vape stuff I'm okay with storing in the freezer is my nic, VG/PG, and never e juice. Course then I got several containers full of e juice in the shed and around the house. I think I still have some that I haven't vaped since I switched from 50/50

CashNVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The only vape stuff I'm okay with storing in the freezer is my nic, VG/PG, and never e juice. Course then I got several containers full of e juice in the shed and around the house. I think I still have some that I haven't vaped since I switched from 50/50
what's the shelf life on ejuice? I've got some that's at-least a year old that I was thinking is now expired

get N sub Ω low...

️Cloud Chasing

Hillbilly Pig

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reddit Exile
what's the shelf life on ejuice? I've got some that's at-least a year old that I was thinking is now expired

get N sub Ω low...

️Cloud Chasing

I think it varies on juice and brand and stuff, but DIY juice I've noticed only last around 9 months at most for me. I found some 50/50 store bought the other day, at least year and half old, still as tasty as the day I first tried it. Mango and citrus cream it tasted like, makes me want to try and clone it since they don't sell it anymore, it was a local juice.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Glass doesn't leach like plastic does. Especially the softer plastic bottles that look transparent but not crystal clear, not sure exactly what plastic that is but it leaches like mad. Odors stick and come right through it meaning other odors and things are going back inside it. I've had juice from companies shipped in those frosty plastic bottles and within a week it smells like a dumpster with all the flavors/scents mixing. It's not leaking from the top at the cap, it's through the plastic itself. Clear bottles don't but glass would be my preference.

It's why the science and medical field uses glass for vials and test tubes, nothing penetrates it, nothing seeps through it, it can actually be sterilized and won't contaminate whatever is inside it.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Too bad glass will not work for squonk bottles o_O

Ohh wait it will on the squonk mod with the light switch on the side.

CashNVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Glass doesn't leach like plastic does. Especially the softer plastic bottles that look transparent but not crystal clear, not sure exactly what plastic that is but it leaches like mad. Odors stick and come right through it meaning other odors and things are going back inside it. I've had juice from companies shipped in those frosty plastic bottles and within a week it smells like a dumpster with all the flavors/scents mixing. It's not leaking from the top at the cap, it's through the plastic itself. Clear bottles don't but glass would be my preference.

It's why the science and medical field uses glass for vials and test tubes, nothing penetrates it, nothing seeps through it, it can actually be sterilized and won't contaminate whatever is inside it.
yeah an example of companies in order juice from, TheSauceLA, that1vape they use that plastic junk. that1vape offers glass but I haven't seen it offered on TheSauceLA. good thing any glass bottles I had juice in get a hot bath and labels removed and stored. especially when I have a juice that needs to steep.

get N sub Ω low...

️Cloud Chasing

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
DIY.

It was still good!

I've never had an issue but I still always store juice in glass until it goes into a 30ml or 10ml bottle for immediate use.

After reading your post I'm looking at a 500 ml plastic bottle of flavoring. Ya, going to have to fix that :)

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've never had an issue but I still always store juice in glass until it goes into a 30ml or 10ml bottle for immediate use.

After reading your post I'm looking at a 500 ml plastic bottle of flavoring. Ya, going to have to fix that :)
Yeah have 120 ml glass bottles on order to put my big bottles of flavorings in.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I prefer to use Glass Bottles for all my finished e-Liquids because I have had a few retail e-Liquids in plastic that got so dark and I hesitate to say spoiled but never had it happen with liquids in glass.

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah have 120 ml glass bottles on order to put my big bottles of flavorings in.

I still have some 1/2 liter glass bottles I'm not using so I'm good to go. Found a local supplier that sells Lor Annes flavorings at a good price in the larger size. At that size it only works for my adv flavoring, but then again, that's what I use the most. The Bavarian Cream I've had for a while has a best before date of Aug 2019, so about 3 years from manufacture. Works for me.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Especially the softer plastic bottles that look transparent but not crystal clear, not sure exactly what plastic that is but it leaches like mad. Odors stick
The softer ones are usually PE, & LDPE. They are cloudy and really squeezy. I noticed with them, flavors really stick and are hard to wash out. Ive read people claim they can taste it.

The harder clear plastic is PET. Its rigid and the flavors dont stick anywhere near as much. So I assume there is minimal "bleeding" into the actual product if any at all. All the flavor concentrate companies use this type of plastic.

Companies like Fuggin, ect., use these and their stuff is fine. I use 60ML PET bottles usually. They have a wider mouth on top wich makes mixing by weight a sinch. Bull city sells 4oz square ones too I use for bigger batches.

I started wanting glass for EVERYTHING. But using glass droppers is jus too damn slow sometimes. It also shatters.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The softer ones are usually PE, & LDPE. They are cloudy and really squeezy. I noticed with them, flavors really stick and are hard to wash out. Ive read people claim they can taste it.

The harder clear plastic is PET. Its rigid and the flavors dont stick anywhere near as much. So I assume there is minimal "bleeding" into the actual product if any at all. All the flavor concentrate companies use this type of plastic.

Companies like Fuggin, ect., use these and their stuff is fine. I use 60ML PET bottles usually. They have a wider mouth on top wich makes mixing by weight a sinch. Bull city sells 4oz square ones too I use for bigger batches.

I started wanting glass for EVERYTHING. But using glass droppers is jus too damn slow sometimes. It also shatters.
Yep I taste plastic from most poly bottles if they have been sitting for a while. I always wash squonk bottles and such out with 90% isopropyl and then let air dry for 24 hours. This also removes persistent flavors/ odors absorbed into the poly surface from previous flavors.

I only use glass for my mixing and just use the plastic unicorn bottles for a ready use. Normally. But I came to the discovery outlined in the opening post by not using all my ready mixes for quite a while when I became a vanilla custard addict :)

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
To be more clear on what happened to the old juice in the plastic unicorn bottles as described in my opening post.
All of the apple and cinnamon and such flavors were gone and just a musty kind of moldy flavor plasticy remained. Pretty bad.
But the same batch still in glass was still good.
and in case I did not mention it I was using 50/50 PG/VG.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yep I taste plastic from most poly bottles if they have been sitting for a while. I always wash squonk bottles and such out with 90% isopropyl and then let air dry for 24 hours. This also removes persistent flavors/ odors absorbed into the poly surface from previous flavors.

I only use glass for my mixing and just use the plastic unicorn bottles for a ready use. Normally. But I came to the discovery outlined in the opening post by not using all my ready mixes for quite a while when I became a vanilla custard addict :)
I also forgot to mention my water observation. The water in cheaper type milk style jugs give me a funny taste. I can taste the plastic. I get Ice Mountain brand water in gallon jugs and it tastes fine. Same with Fiji, ect. So certain plastics (if not all) effect taste.

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I guess I'm alone in not tasting plastic from LDPE bottles

Nope. I don't either, from any plastic bottles I've ever used.

But that doesn't mean it can't happen. Plastic is pretty inert at room temperature, but not 100% so some chemicals in juice could affect it. Bottles are blow molded and there can be chemicals like oil on their surfaces, even inside. There are also various chemical additive packages in raw plastics which could leach or react differently to others. And taste might not be affected by chemical contamination so we might not know it has happened.

In the end it's safer to use glass, specially for longer term storage.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't mind the harder plastic bottles like I got from the sauce (didn't care for most of their flavors though) or vapewild. When I ordered in the past from mt baker and vvv I got the soft squeezy ones that flavor leached. I just meant for long term storage glass would likely be best.

For everyday use, yea glass with a glass dropper can be a pain in the ass. Or worse, I got a 15ml glass bottle once from halo that had some sort of funky inverted plastic tip. No dropper, no unicorn spout. The top under the cap was flat with a pinhole and a sort of internal air spout so when you tipped it up it just sort of dripped out on its own.

For the plastic ones I get from juice co's I don't save them, just toss them and they seem to do fine until I vape whatever I ordered.

VU Sponsors